PDA

View Full Version : When to multiclass from fighter

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 05:46 AM
I'm looking for some advice as in to when to multiclass. I'm gonna be playing a Dexterty fighter tank with a shield. My plan was to multiclass in barbarian and so be able to have a high ac as well as stealth. At lvl4 I will have 18dex and 18 con. From then on multiclassing will boost my AC from 18 to 20
As well as rid me of my armour thus granting me my stealth abilities. At what point should I dip in to barbarian?

Specter
2016-09-20, 06:54 AM
Whatever you do, wait for Extra Attack.

MrStabby
2016-09-20, 06:56 AM
So you wont want more than 4 levels in both classes. Extra attack doesnt stack. Therefore you will want to go no higher than level 4 in one of them.

If you want more fighter, get extra attack at 5 them multiclass. If you want more barbarian, muliclass immediately and then get the extra fighter levels you might want after you get your extra attack there.

Champion 3 is good with barbarian, Fighter 2 gives you a lot of burst power. Fighter 4 gives you an ASI...

For barbarian as a dip 1 gives you the unarmoured defence and rage - but you really need strength to benefit. Reckless attack at 2 is good if you are tough enough and the totem ability you can take at 3 is also good.

Do you have the STR you need to go into barbarian?

Corran
2016-09-20, 07:15 AM
What's your fighting style? If it is defense, keep in mind that it does not stack with unarmord defense, so the barbarian dip would only raise your AC by 1 while also doing nothing for your stealth. Have you considered dipping in rogue instead?

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 07:43 AM
What's your fighting style? If it is defense, keep in mind that it does not stack with unarmord defense, so the barbarian dip would only raise your AC by 1 while also doing nothing for your stealth. Have you considered dipping in rogue instead?

My fighting stile wil be protection. The point of the barbarian multiclassing is by lvl 9 I will have 22 ac with shield and unarmoured. I'm trying to make the ultimate tank :p

Sir cryosin
2016-09-20, 08:26 AM
My fighting stile wil be protection. The point of the barbarian multiclassing is by lvl 9 I will have 22 ac with shield and unarmoured. I'm trying to make the ultimate tank :p

A eldritch knight ac can get up to 26 with the shield spell. A paladin can have a stable ac of 23 with shield of fate. For a dex tankest build 5 or 7 lvs of rogue for evasion and uncanny Dodge helps a lot.

some guy
2016-09-20, 08:32 AM
I'm looking for some advice as in to when to multiclass. I'm gonna be playing a Dexterty fighter tank with a shield. My plan was to multiclass in barbarian and so be able to have a high ac as well as stealth. At lvl4 I will have 18dex and 18 con. From then on multiclassing will boost my AC from 18 to 20
As well as rid me of my armour thus granting me my stealth abilities. At what point should I dip in to barbarian?

2 points:
1: if you're going dex-based, you will probably wearing light armour, which doesn't interfere with your stealth abilities.
2: the Protection style requires you wearing armour, so it won't be functionable when going unarmoured. (edit: ah, this has already been said)

That said, if you want to multiclass to barbarian, I'd first take 6 levels in fighter. That will give you an extra ability increase, which you'll probably need, because multiclassing into barbarian also needs a strength of 13.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 08:52 AM
A eldritch knight ac can get up to 26 with the shield spell. A paladin can have a stable ac of 23 with shield of fate. For a dex tankest build 5 or 7 lvs of rogue for evasion and uncanny Dodge helps a lot.

Hehe yeah but the BM is the only one with a taunt move (goading attack). Also I believe the shield of fate requires concentration and is only 1 ac more. And the shield spell it lasts only 1 round..

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 08:53 AM
2: the Protection style requires you wearing armour, so it won't be functionable when going unarmoured. (edit: ah, this has already been said) .

In the book it says you need a shield. Shield is not considered as armour

some guy
2016-09-20, 09:03 AM
In the book it says you need a shield. Shield is not considered as armour

Ah, right. Disregard my post. I got defense and protection mixed up, it's a recurring problem with me.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-20, 09:03 AM
Protection is help your buddy (requires shield), defense is extra AC.

I am assuming you have the 13 Str to get into Barbarian, yes?

Rage is a defensive ability on a dex build - it extends your hit points.

Since you are looking at AC18 after the level 4 ASI, that means you are either at 18/16 or 17/17. On the former, you can grab Barbarian at 1, have your defenses in place, and be stuck a level behind on the ASI and extra attack. If you are 17/17, Start fighter. You can rock studded leather for AC16 (18 with shield) to 5 (you need 4 levels in one class to grab the ASI), grab Barb1. I'd stop there unless you really want a totem.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 09:29 AM
Thanks Joe the Rat. I'll use the studded leather I think :)

Sir cryosin
2016-09-20, 10:32 AM
This is just my opinion but I would go Fighter 3 then Rogue 8 then fighter rest. I would pick up the feet medium armor Master which will give you an 18AC with half plate ,+2 with a shield and it gets rid of the disadvantage on stealth checks with it. For the Rogue archetype I would go with swashbuckler. Food for Maneuvers I would take repose because you can get sneak attack on different turns. Goading attack maneuver is not as good as you think it is you can do other things that are much better. Like the trip attack maneuver you can't rip the apartment then you can attack again at Advantage getting your sneak attack they have to spend half their movement just to get up.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 12:54 PM
We have a monk already I think he will be knocking people prone. I don't like the idea of doing sneak damage with repose. For me in my mind it should not be possible. Isn't the whole idea of sneak attack to attack te target while he is not paying attention to you?

GlenSmash!
2016-09-20, 01:02 PM
Barb 2 gives Reckless Attack which is one of the best Tank abilities there is. Why? Because It provides great incentive for creatures to attack you instead of your allies. It does require strength based Attacks to work however, so it might not work with the high Dex high AC idea you have in mind.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-20, 02:10 PM
We have a monk already I think he will be knocking people prone. I don't like the idea of doing sneak damage with repose. For me in my mind it should not be possible. Isn't the whole idea of sneak attack to attack te target while he is not paying attention to you?

Not really sneak attack is finding a opening to attack the enemy. By your understanding then the swashbuckler shouldn't be able to sneak attack.

RulesJD
2016-09-20, 02:11 PM
Just to be sure, you know that you need at least 13 STR to multiclass Fighter/Barb right? Having 18 Dex/Con means you're rolling stats (in which case builds don't really matter) or you've dump stated Str or Wisdom, both of which tanks generally need.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-20, 02:33 PM
Not really sneak attack is finding a opening to attack the enemy. By your understanding then the swashbuckler shouldn't be able to sneak attack.

Hmm if you can find an opening while he is attacking you, and is thus focused on you, shouldn't you be able to always find an opening? In wich case isn't the sneak attack just a normal attack? Since you are always looking for an opening in the enemy defense when you strike... But Its raw so fine. I would ofx allow it but I just don't like it

Just to be sure, you know that you need at least 13 STR to multiclass Fighter/Barb right? Having 18 Dex/Con means you're rolling stats (in which case builds don't really matter) or you've dump stated Str or Wisdom, both of which tanks generally need.

Yeah I'm rolling stats what's the other option and what do you mean the build doesn't matter? I have enough str. All my other stats are crappie. And how come I need wisdom? :)

Sir cryosin
2016-09-20, 03:11 PM
Hmm if you can find an opening while he is attacking you, and is thus focused on you, shouldn't you be able to always find an opening? In wich case isn't the sneak attack just a normal attack? Since you are always looking for an opening in the enemy defense when you strike... But Its raw so fine. I would ofx allow it but I just don't like it

Yeah I'm rolling stats what's the other option and what do you mean the build doesn't matter? I have enough str. All my other stats are crappie. And how come I need wisdom? :)

He's saying you need wisdom save because most of the real nasty spells target wisdom. Spell that will turn you on your party, stop you from taking any action, ect. Dex barbarian is do able but your missing out on what makes a barbarian.

NecroDancer
2016-09-20, 03:14 PM
I'd multiclass at level 6, take 3 levels of barbaiarian, then take the 1 level of rogue for sneak attack.

RaynorReynolds
2016-09-20, 05:29 PM
Well if you are trying to build the ultimate tank do this:

Barb 8/Rogue 8/Druid 4
Take Bear totem
Wield shield and rapier
Take Sentinel

That leaves 4 to max out dex and con. You get rage, uncanny dodge, danger sense, evasion, and you get some free HP by turning into a bear.