PDA

View Full Version : Mystic path of the Immortal tank

Levistej
2016-09-20, 06:38 AM
So, as some of you may remember, I was recently asking for input on another character concept but have since then been pleasently surprised by my DM who wants me to try out the Immortal Mystic.
We start at level 5 and the preracial stats are 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10.
My first idea was to go with a variant human and prioritize STR>CON>INT while picking up polearm master but it somehow seems to me that the mystic gets loads of ways of using ones bonus action and reaction.
So: Str:18, Dex:10, Con:14, Int:14, Wis:12, Cha:11 + Polearm master

The second idea was to be a high elf and take booming blade as the racial cantrip while going S&B.
Or: Str:10, Dex:19, Con:14, Int:14, Wis:12, Cha:11 + booming blade

For my lesser disciplines known I'm fairly sure I'll choose Iron Durability, Psionic Weapon and Third eye but I really cant decide whether to pick Adaptive Body for the on demand resistances or Body of Wind for the mobility.

The rest of the party: Arcane Trickster, Lore bard, Ancients Paladin and new Beastmaster Ranger

I'm really looking forward to playing this character as I loved the Psychic Warrior and Battlemind. Also, atleast on paper, this class looks like it would make a great tank with it's adjustable AC and resistances + nasty spike damage.

Discuss! :smallsmile:

GorogIrongut
2016-09-20, 07:17 AM
This is a fun one to work with. I'm currently tweaking a Beastmaster/Immortal Mystic myself. Flight is good... but I think you should look at Intellect Fortress again. While it can make you resistant to psychic damage, the other abilities are awesome. As a reaction you give disadvantage to your attacker for 1 point... How about the ability to assist with intelligence/wisdom/charisma saves (either through advantage or direct pluses...) to yourself and others.

Adaptive Body is incredibly expensive for a lower level mystic.

The_Ditto
2016-09-20, 07:40 AM
My current character is a Fighter (Battlemaster) / Mystic (Immortal)

I rolled bad stats, so I'm running poor stats, and I decided to focus almost purely on tanking.

We started at level 1, and IIRC, my progression went something like:

1) Fighter.
2) Mystic (Immortal) Celerity, Iron Durability.
3) Fighter.
4) Mystic
5) Fighter (Battlemaster: Commander's Strike, Precision, Parry)
6) Mystic
7) Mystic

I picked up Third Eye with my 3rd discipline, can't recall when I got that.

I like Celerity, as it helps with the adv on init, and a burst of speed to allow me to get to where I need to be.

Iron Durability is a no brainer ... sooo nice.

I'm eyeing Adaptive Body for next discipline, and will probably upgrade Celerity to Body of Wind at Mystic 5.

I took mostly utility/defensive maneuvers with BM, to help further my ability to help.

We have both a barbarian and a rogue, so my commander's strike is usually used on them ...

I also have Sentinel feat, so I have choices to make with my reaction all the time .. :)

I'm currently in Splint Mail , with a +1 Shield, so my AC is base: 20 I think .. and with Iron Durability active, 21.

I can boost my AC to 27 (if I recall the math properly) .. so I get hit only if I really let them .. :)

In one encounter, I got hit a few times with some major poison dmg (Green dragon) .. and each time, just healed up on my turn before the cleric had a chance :)

So much fun to be so hard to knock down .. :)

Levistej
2016-09-21, 02:59 AM
Taking a 1 level dip in fighter was also an idea, but I still don't know if its worth it. I think I'm going to change route and go for a High strength human with a shield and longsword and just take magic initiate for greenflame blade, booming blade and absorb elements.

As you said, you rolled bad stats and went for a fully defensive build but Im interested in your general opinion on the mystic's damage potential. I'm surely taking psionic weapon but am unsure wether to go lightly with it or just use it whenever I can. My instincts tell me to use it whenever I score a crit to just facemelt everything in front of me + use it whenever there is a visible need to end the encounter as soon as possible.