View Full Version : Trying to build a side-character...

Name1
2016-09-20, 01:21 PM
So my character just attracted a cohort... yay.

Now I've come to a rules problem: Said character is an outsider and I don't want said outsider to be gated away. To prevent that, I gave her the "Magic Immunities"-ability of a Battle Horror. Now... does that work? I mean, the spell clearly affects the creature, and it appears to be different from the Golems Immunity that only applies to spells that allow SR. On that note, does her being Immune to Mind-Affecting Effects mean that she is immue to all mind-affectig effects, not just those that allow SR?

I'm asking this because I've heard mixed things about that, such as Immunities never applying to spells that don't allow SR (which is weird, but this is why I'm asking over here).

Also, is there a good way to play a CE more or less Elder Evil in an innocent and adorable way?

Red Fel
2016-09-20, 01:39 PM
Also, is there a good way to play a CE more or less Elder Evil in an innocent and adorable way?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/245eafaa164deba63c55a2936262fbfd043d1d971a9cbf19ba 506eb02f606ae5.gif

... yes, she is.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-20, 01:42 PM
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/245eafaa164deba63c55a2936262fbfd043d1d971a9cbf19ba 506eb02f606ae5.gif

... yes, she is.

It's an amusing show but I'm not thrilled with what they did to the king in yellow. XD

That was so wrong.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-20, 01:45 PM
I'm asking this because I've heard mixed things about that, such as Immunities never applying to spells that don't allow SR (which is weird, but this is why I'm asking over here).
Immunities apply to all effects with the specific tag. Immunity to mind-affecting abilities means immunity to anything [mind-affecting], be it (Ex), (Sp), (Su), unspecified, spells with a save, spells that allow SR, spells that do not allow SR, and even, if such an unholy thing were to exist, a (Su) ability that allows SR but isn't suppressed by an antimagic field.

To protect your outsider from banishment (gate isn't really a problem), spell immunity-type abilities will do the job, including the battle horror's, if I remember rightly. That's the one that's usually immune to fireball and magic missile, isn't it?

Name1
2016-09-20, 02:06 PM

Ah, Nyaruko-san... damn, I really have to finish that anime. I remember dropping it, but I can't tell why...

Immunities apply to all effects with the specific tag. Immunity to mind-affecting abilities means immunity to anything [mind-affecting], be it (Ex), (Sp), (Su), unspecified, spells with a save, spells that allow SR, spells that do not allow SR, and even, if such an unholy thing were to exist, a (Su) ability that allows SR but isn't suppressed by an antimagic field.

To protect your outsider from banishment (gate isn't really a problem), spell immunity-type abilities will do the job, including the battle horror's, if I remember rightly. That's the one that's usually immune to fireball and magic missile, isn't it?

...I wonder if a Supernatural Prismatic Wall spell would fulfill that criteria... I mean, it mentions that it gives SR in it's text, but supernatural spell probably overrides that. Thanks for the answer, it's a relief to know that this stuff works regardless of SR.

And I had choosen Gate because that spell seems to be more of a problem, since it neither allows a save nor allows SR and is level 9, whereas a Banishment spell can be blocked via SR, a Will-Save or Spell Immunity, Greater and it doesn't allow my opponent to use her against me (even a Loyal Vassal spell won't help, since Gate allows suicidal orders). I think the regular Battle Horror Immunities were Magic Missile, Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Ice Storm, but I'm not 100% sure.

Inevitability
2016-09-20, 02:09 PM
Simply get to DM to accept that your cohort isn't a bog-standard monster but an 'unique being', whatever that may mean (if necessary, give her Skill Focus (Basketweaving)).

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-20, 02:10 PM
Gate has the following text: "Deities and unique beings are under no compulsion to come through the gate, although they may choose to do so of their own accord".

I'm guessing your cohort is unique. Just give it a name and personality, and you're fine.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-20, 02:15 PM
Your DM is allowing you to not only build your cohort but to make a custom outsider? Hook it up with a dimensional anchor and count your blessings, you luck son of a... *ahem* sorry. Got a little carried away there.

Seriously though, dimensional anchor is all you need.

Name1
2016-09-21, 09:14 AM
Your DM is allowing you to not only build your cohort but to make a custom outsider? Hook it up with a dimensional anchor and count your blessings, you luck son of a... *ahem* sorry. Got a little carried away there.

Yes. This does have the downside that I can't use her in combat/for comercial purposes, but it's still pretty awesome plotwise^^

Name1
2016-09-22, 09:26 AM
Not sure if this counts as double-posting or bumping, but I'm wondering: Since I have pretty much total freedom in what abilities I'm allowed to give her, are there any suggestions on what I should take? I've been thinking about giving her an at-will Body Harmonic, but aside from that, I'm kinda clueless what would be good for a "social" character.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-22, 11:11 AM
See in Darkness - you know that thing in whodunits where the lights go out and someone's dead when they come back on? Yeah, don't let that happen. All devils have it, even imps.

True Seeing - make sure people are what they claim to be. Try to get a version that can be suppressed so you can tell which stuff is illusion'd by switching it on and off.

Telepathy - allows for "whispering" without a chance of being listened in on (unless you're in the presence of an elder brain, in which case you have bigger problems). Braxats have telepathy with a range of 1 mile which works regardless of language. With that range, your negotiator can enter possibly unsafe social situations unarmed while a brute squad waits outside the venue, ready to charge in at the negotiator's signal.

Mindsight (feat) - looks can be deceiving, and it's always awkward when you accidentally address a well-preserved zombie instead of the tibbit controlling it. Also lets you spot invisible eavesdroppers.

Tongues - your telepathy crosses language barriers. You'll still need to say things out loud when talking to groups, so why let languages get in the way in those cases? Plenty of outsiders have it as a continuous (su); I recommend getting it from the Succubus for style points.

Magic Circle Against X - mind control is always a concern in social interactions; this lets you show that you're not being controlled and helps root out charmed/dominated/etc plants in your entourage. Archons and Lammasu both get continuous (su) magic circle against evil, and the Lammasu's extends to a 20-ft radius.

I'm not familiar with Body Harmonic. Welp, off to Google.

As you rub the glass, the targeted creature’s body begins to vibrate loudly and painfully in harmony with the tone.
...kinky.

Inevitability
2016-09-22, 12:42 PM
Telepathy - allows for "whispering" without a chance of being listened in on (unless you're in the presence of an elder brain, in which case you have bigger problems). Braxats have telepathy with a range of 1 mile which works regardless of language. With that range, your negotiator can enter possibly unsafe social situations unarmed while a brute squad waits outside the venue, ready to charge in at the negotiator's signal.

With 1-mile ranges, why even directly negotiate? Just stand at the edge of the area and telepathically communicate.

Name1
2016-09-22, 03:51 PM
See in Darkness - you know that thing in whodunits where the lights go out and someone's dead when they come back on? Yeah, don't let that happen. All devils have it, even imps.

True Seeing - make sure people are what they claim to be. Try to get a version that can be suppressed so you can tell which stuff is illusion'd by switching it on and off.

Mindsight (feat) - looks can be deceiving, and it's always awkward when you accidentally address a well-preserved zombie instead of the tibbit controlling it. Also lets you spot invisible eavesdroppers.

Tongues - your telepathy crosses language barriers. You'll still need to say things out loud when talking to groups, so why let languages get in the way in those cases? Plenty of outsiders have it as a continuous (su); I recommend getting it from the Succubus for style points.

Magic Circle Against X - mind control is always a concern in social interactions; this lets you show that you're not being controlled and helps root out charmed/dominated/etc plants in your entourage. Archons and Lammasu both get continuous (su) magic circle against evil, and the Lammasu's extends to a 20-ft radius.

I'm not familiar with Body Harmonic. Welp, off to Google.

...kinky.

Okay, so I noted this down as follows:

See in Darkness (Su): From any creature with the "Devil"-Subtype.

True Seeing (Su): As an at-will (Su) that works like the spell, snatched from Elder Evil SQs, along with 500 feet Blindsight.

Telephathy (Su): Same as a Formian Queens, as in, 50 mile range.

Mindsight (Feat): Took that too.

Tongues (Su): From a succubus... which is kinda weird, since she's basically a newborn.

Magic Circle against Good (Sp): Since I couldn't find a (Su) version and having it constantly online could create problems. She does have a constant low-CL Protection from Good and Loyal Vassal online though, so it helps with her getting controlled at least.

EDIT:
I also figured that these abilities could come in handy for social stuff:

Discord and Woe (Su): Each round as a standard action, she can force a creature within 100 miles to attempt a DC 25+Cha Mod Will save. An affected creature enters a barbarian rage (PH 25), attacking the closest creature and taking 1 point of vile damage per round until it is killed or the effect ends. The creature can attempt a new Will save each round to escape of the effect.

Poisoned Whisper (Su): Once per round as a standard action, she can attempt to whisper to any creature within 240 feet. She must be aware of the target creature and have line of effect. The targeted creature can negate the poisoned whisper by making a DC 25+Cha Mod Will save. Failure indicates that the whisper functions as a suggestion spell on the target (caster level 30th). One minute later, the poisoned whisper tears through the victim’s mind, forcing a second DC 25+Cha Mod Will save. Failure on this save indicates that the victim is subject to a modify memory effect that erases the victim’s memory of whatever suggested action he might have just done. If the victim was unable to complete the suggestion before this effect occurs, he must still carry out the suggestion—he just believes the suggestion was his own idea.

Do these abilities make sense to have?

And thanks to everyone for the help so far :D