PDA

View Full Version : A Feat for Spear Lovers

Ali
2007-07-09, 11:09 AM
Devastating Spear Defense

Your mastery with the spear is evident to any foe that dares to charge you.

Prerequisites: BAB +3, Weapon Focus (any spear or trident), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw.

Benefit: You can set a spear against a charge as an immediate action.

Normal:You can only set a spear against a charge as a standard ready action.

Special: A fighter may select Devastating Spear Defense as one of his bonus feats.

Thoughts on this feat?

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-09, 11:11 AM
im guessing it should be better than just reading a spear, as you can do this allready

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-09, 11:15 AM
Being an immediate action means you can ready your spear even when it's not your turn.

Looks pretty good to me.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-09, 11:18 AM
what kind of damage would be done, a lance on a charge is X4, would it be on par with that for mounted and abit less for people runing like headless chickens at it.

Ali
2007-07-09, 11:26 AM
Well, it doesn't change the mechanics of setting a spear against a foe, just speeds it up from a readied action to an immediate action.

For example: On his turn, an Enemy chooses to charge a Spear Lover. So as the Enemy charges him, the Spear Lover can choose to set his spear against the Enemy, even though it isn't his turn, and deal double damage to the Enemy.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-09, 01:33 PM
this feat allows for the effective use of the Phalanx formation :smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2007-07-09, 07:57 PM
I love that idea, it's a thought that had yet to occur. I think it'll need a couple of modifications before I can use it for my game, but it's a great base.

Anxe
2007-07-09, 08:29 PM
I'd throw Quick Draw in the prerequisites too. I like it though!

Cryopyre
2007-07-09, 08:53 PM
I love it, makes good sense. Seems quite sound in the game as well.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-09, 10:40 PM
I agree with Anxe; Quick Draw would make sense as a prerequisite. It would also delay the acquisition of this feat until 3rd level or so minimum, even for Human fighters, which is wise. I would also add a note about what one can do normally, such as:

Normal: You can only set a spear against a charge as a standard ready action.

Ossian
2007-07-10, 02:23 AM
Sounds very nice. Reading it, images of the "300" movie came to my mind, with the persian army charging the oplites and, as Leonidas said, wave after wave of persian soldiers crushing on the spartan shields.

As a side benefit one might add something on avoiding attacks of opportunity, or maybe allowing attacks with the spear even in very close quarter, or perhaps extending the threat range against a charge (i.e. the guy gets skewered when he is 4 mt. away instead of 3). A spear lover has better reach and uses proficiently all the spear's shaft, taking advantage of different kinds of leverage. If I had a fantasy warrior type character at the moment I`d go for this feat!

Speaking of spear lovers, I posted on the WOTC board some ideas on another kind of spear and its usage. It was the celtic gae-bolga (the weapon Cu Culhainn the Hound of Ulster was most famous and feared for).

If any of you could give me (even through PM) some feedback that would be great!

Ossian

PS
Another spear lovers' thread can be found here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=883027)

Ali
2007-07-10, 05:59 AM
Thank you all for your help. I have made a few modifications. Enjoy, hee hee.