PDA

View Full Version : Help with building a gestalt unarmed swordsage

sage20500
2016-09-20, 04:14 PM
Friend is going to be running a 3.5 Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign, group is mid optimized, of the 4 players only myself and one other are fairly fluent in 3.5 while the other 2 are still pretty new. My dm is allowing me to rebuild my character from a Charisma heavy winter unseelie fey swordsage (my cha score at level 7 was like 24-26 last time i looked) which gave everything that was not fey a -7 or 8 morale penalty to saves. Now that its been over a year and we're looking at restarting up the campaign in a few months, he's letting me rebuild the character by ditching the UF template and the magic blooded template, and swapping my intial Cha score with my Wis score, so that i can do a melee character that plays nice with everyone in the group.

So, the party as it is currently, the other well versed player is playing a human VoP Hunter Druid\\Wildshape Ranger, and his celestial druid animal compainion is also taking VoP. For the two newbies, one of them is playing a human int based Rogue\\Archivist (the divine spellcaster that is int based and has a prayerbook), and the other is playing a Targeteer Fighter\\Wizard\Arcane Archer (since he wants to actually focus on spell casting and enjoys summoning things we're trying to see if he wants to drip AA and do something else since his summon monster spells wont work if he shoots them at anything over 40ft away, and all of his damage spells have better range anyway with better chances of hitting if he used a save spell or a ray.)

For my part im usually in melee with the druid and the rogue, though i tend to draw more attention by using maneuvers. Im currently playing a true neural character so that i can actually use the SS maneuvers that deal Con damage. And since i have a really amazing Wis mod I want to specialize in using the maneuvers that have awesome effects instead of full round attack so that the rogue and the wizard can have their chances to shine in combat. So to help with that the focus of my character is currently dealing debilating effects to team monster as well as tripping.

So stat wise, after rolling i ended up with a 14 Str, 18 dex, 15 Con, 18 int, 18 wis, 14 cha, The dm is allowing me to play as an athasian human (dragon 319, he's allowing me to ignore the La+1 as my characters special trait since i dropped the UF template and MB template completely) so after racial boost my character has a 20 Dex and 20 Wis. House rules we're using include gaining a feat at every even CL and at every 4th CL you at +1 to 2 different stats. At level 4 i increase Con to 16 and Wis to 21)

Other things DM has ruled, when it comes to Stunning Fist, anything that uses a stunning fist use per day that shares the same base dc as Stunning Fist benefits from any feats or Items that increase the save Dc if stunning fist. Only first party material is allowed, game system is 3.5, Dm is allowing for some 3.0 material on case by case basis, (oriental adventures material that wasnt updated in 3.5 is useable)

So curently the first side of my character is Feat Rogue 2\Unarmed Swordsage 13\Master of the Nine 5. My otherside was originally Martial Monk 2\Soul Bound Weapon Psy War 18, but im starting to have second thoughts on Psy War. To our knowledge, the campaign should be ending before CL 13 or 14, and while theres a potential of it going longer, the DM has not said it will. So my current optimal fun zone is for between CL 7 and CL 10 at the latest. Biggest downside for the Psy War, without doing anything stupid at level 7 if Im using regular inertial armor, my base AC is 27, with a 23 touch and a 21 Flatfoot. The druid has the next highest ac in the party sitting at 22 or 23, and he's worried i could potentially get the rest of the party killed since they're sitting at around 20ish for ac when the Dm tries to scale monsters up to be able to have a decent chance of hitting me. Second downside for Psywar is that i technically do not need expansion for the level range that we're playing at. A martial art synergy feat i have allows me to count as 1 size category larger for tripping, so when i dont use a setting sun maneuver to trip, with current set up i have a +12 before rolling and i count as size large, with a setting sun maneuver i have a +20 before rolling and i count as size large. With this module im pretty sure we wont be facing anything over size huge so i dont have to worry about not being able to trip anything Gargantuan or larger, and i can reliably trip huge creatures, and if i have class options to pick up bonus feats i can solve my reach issue by grabbing abberant blood and the extra reach feat that goes with it or the tall deformity feat.

I was thinking about taking a 1 level dip in shiba protector to get wis to hit and damage so i can drop having to pick up weapon finese, and since i have swordsage to cover my bases for things stunning fist might not work against, and with black panda mastery and the ki wrap item i have a save dc currently of 24 for any stunning fist feat, i kind of want to have more levels of either monk or prcs that count for monk that give more uses of Stunning fist so that i can pick up things like freezing the blood, pressure point strike, rattlesnake strike etc. Right now i already picked up the one that does a no save -6 Str penalty, and my current fight tactic is to combine it with Shadow Hands Strength Draining Strike by using snap kick to tack the penalty on right behind the initial strike. Aside from that im thinking about going up to monk 3 so i can take the acf that allows me to stunning fist constructs.

So yeah, trying to figure out where to go for a low - mid op game thats expected to end around level 13-14, currently at character level 7, and im shooting for full functionality between CL 7 -10, with a focus on Stunning Fist fun and tripping.