PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Fawsto
2007-07-09, 11:31 AM
Sup, Guys

This thread is up as I am looking for more players of the awesome Super Smash series. Present yourself here and lets discuss the game and the characters, as well as our expectatives for the newcomer Brawl.

See ya

Ronsian
2007-07-09, 11:39 AM
Top 3 characters of Melee, in no order (IMAO)
1. Link. Many people disagree, but he has strong attacks and his Up-B is the BEST in the game.

2. Fox/Falco. Blaster is good for doing small damage (For falco stopping smash attacks). Overall a very fast paced character.

3. Marth/Roy. Very fast, and Down-B is instant counter, very good. Other then that strong and fast.

Some people say Mewto and Zelda are good, I'm just bad as them. There are some other fun people to play as, like Samus, but none are as good.

darkmars20
2007-07-09, 12:01 PM
Sheik is an awsome character that is fast, strong, and all togethar a great character.

Kirby can be good to, if the one playing as him uses him right.

And last I agree that Link is a good character to play as. If you use him right his bombs can be a deadly blow. His down B attack is a powerfull attack to use as a finisher (young Link is good exept his arrows don't go as far, and neither does his boomerang).

TheOtherMC
2007-07-09, 01:30 PM
CAPTAIN FALCON! Aka faster than sin...

Stoneburr
2007-07-09, 01:44 PM
Kirby is for the win.

The block attack (Down-B) is just freaking unstoppable.

Remember, don't use his swallow attack to gain powers (Unless it's a finisher like Mewtwo, Samus, DK) use it to stop other peoples big attacks. :smallwink:

Revlid
2007-07-09, 02:55 PM
Kirby is for the win.

The block attack (Down-B) is just freaking unstoppable.

Absolutely.
*Jump*
*Ploof, ploof, ploof, ploof...*
*Slam!*
"Player Defeated!"

My friend loves playing as Mr. Game-and-Watch, because (ugh) the "commentator" apparently sounds like he's saying "Mister Gay-Man-Watch", which makes him giggle.
Then I crush him with the pulsating, swallowing pink thing.

Querzis
2007-07-09, 03:13 PM
If its a 4 people melee, I take Bowser. He can send the 3 other players flying with one attack and hes so incredibly hard to kill. Unless people team up against me, I always win a melee with Bowser (and even when they team up against me I still beat them sometimes.

If its a two vs two, I take the Ice Climbers. Two of their special attack (when they throw ice and when they spin) are perfect to save an ally or to keep distract the enemy while your ally charge a smash. Those where almost designed to be just annoying but their attack are full of opening but with a good ally the ice climbers are perfect since he can backstab them when you are vulnerable.

In a one vs one, I take Falco. Fox is a bit too fast for me, I suicide way too often but Falco is just perfect. All of his combo are fast but dont hurt that much and can only hit one guy, thats why I dont like him in a melee or in a team battle. But in a one vs one, the opponent cant do anything against thoser fast attack, the only problem with him is that its hard to do a strong attack to kill the opponent, but since you can do 400% damage to them while you are still at 0%, its not that bad.

By the way, it was about time Bowser was officially announced in Brawl. I cant wait to do his final smash and control Giga Bowser.

Katonta
2007-07-09, 03:19 PM
Bah, there's an easy way to counter Kirby's Down-B move, Throw!

But seriously, I think I may be one of the only people who actually likes Jigglypuff. But only in the N64 version 'cause in the GC version, they just messed her up.

For the GC version, my favorite character is, by far, Samus. A nice combination of strength, ranged, and speed. But I will admit that Samus is a little slower than I would like, she still is a very good character to play as.

Krytha
2007-07-09, 04:02 PM
Samus is slower than you'd like? How much faster are you hoping for? Take a look at this and see if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HEzWiSmpM

And then be very very envious.

Ronsian
2007-07-09, 04:34 PM
I forgot about Kirby. Two ways of playing, normal, which is ok, and the dirty way. On any map (except flat zone, Onett, and a few others) just stand by the side of a map. Wait for the enemy to come to you. Suck them up, waltz off the edge. After you fall for a few seconds, they will be shot down, killing them. If it's a team one, you can even jump back up.

Edit: Crap. I gotta try that stuff, thanks for showing it. :smalleek:

Katonta
2007-07-09, 04:37 PM
Samus is slower than you'd like? How much faster are you hoping for? Take a look at this and see if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HEzWiSmpM

And then be very very envious.
Wha... Bwa... Dwu... Wow. *starts drooling* Must learn.

On an unrelated note, too bad SSB isn't internet accessible. Than we could have an online GitP Tourney or something. Lets hope Brawl is.

Fawsto
2007-07-09, 09:50 PM
Guys, there are 2 characters taht need respect in melee... Samus and Jigglypuff. Samus because she can recover from te most dephs of a scenario and jigglypuff for her awesome aerial gameplay (and the Rest thing, if you are a master jigglypuff player, you are deadly!)

Yeah... I also love to fight using Link (adult only, however the Young Link does have his good side), I am quite good with him, but the poor guy is a little slow compared to other characters, specialy in 1x1 games. Mostly I loose to Fox and Falcos because of their speed (obviously, not talking about caomputers of any level)

All my hopes are lying on internet based Brawl.

Nice to find some players here. Nice to meet ya.

tgva8889
2007-07-09, 10:43 PM
I used to be extremely good at using Marth in SSBM. I was also relatively decent at playing a number of other characters, though "decent" means "I can beat a level 9 computer". Which means absolutely nothing, because level 9 computers in SSBM are pretty bad.

Setra
2007-07-10, 12:26 AM
I love SSBM. One of the games I'm good at.

Though good is a relative term.

I can beat a 3 on 1 vs. the computers while using any character and a broken controller (up and down on the stick are broken, can't use Up or Down attacks).

However I get the feeling that it isn't that impressive.

Jigglypuff is overpowered if you know how to use her right, but I don't care to.

My favorites are Samus, Marth, and Fox. Not in that order.

Samus is an overall great character. Speed and power, though I stopped using her when my controller broke, as her aerial attacks (which got a lot harder to use) were my favorite.

Marth is my personal favorite. He's fast. Strong. And pure melee.

Fox.. well I'm pretty sure Fox is considered the "best" SSBM character, so I suppose I don't need to say much there.

The fun part is.. I've never played Metroid, Starfox, or Fire Emblem.

Delaney Gale
2007-07-10, 12:48 AM
SSBM is the other game my D+D campaign plays. ^^

Amongst my peers I am renowned as a Zen master of Marth. I picked him up because, well, I'm a fencer and I like swords. I like to muse that I have some special connection to the fighting style because of my physical experiences, but that's a load of crap and I know it. I also play Captain Falcon and Sheik... yes, I'm a speed whore.

However, my little brother puts me to shame with his ability to beat about anyone with a randomly chosen character.

Krytha
2007-07-10, 01:18 AM
Well... Im going to go out on a limb here and say no one plays at too advanced a level... no? nobody go to tournaments?

Stoneburr
2007-07-10, 01:26 AM
Well... Im going to go out on a limb here and say no one plays at too advanced a level... no? nobody go to tournaments?

Nah, I wouldn't want to make anyone cry, or anyting. :smallwink:

But seriously, I've seen some "professional" tournaments, and the two favorite characters seem to be Jigglypuff and Fox :smallconfused:

Krytha
2007-07-10, 01:31 AM
Fox is definitely an upper tier, but Jigglypuff seems to be more of a counter-pick - although I can think of several instances where people have chosen her as their main.

tgva8889
2007-07-10, 01:34 AM
I keep telling people Jigglypuff is good, and people keep telling me I'm an idiot. Look now, folks! Jigglypuff is good, boys!

Now, I'm going to go learn how to play as her. Jigglypuff is so...cute!

kpenguin
2007-07-10, 01:47 AM
I like Yoshi. In fact, me being good at Yoshi coupled with my enjoyment of Yoshi's Island has made me play Yoshi in every game in which Yoshi is a playable character.

Krytha
2007-07-10, 01:50 AM
Well... Jigglypuff -

pros: high priority attacks, great air movement, easy recovery? Rest (sort of)?
cons: puff, generally weak damage, some useless specials, short reach, did I mention puff?

I figure to be a great Jigglypuff player, you have to be a master at avoiding. For any given character, you can be KOd at 70, less if it is the mighty boot of ganondorf.

tgva8889
2007-07-10, 02:06 AM
Ah, but the Wall of Pain is a legitimate strategy! Don't you know the Wall of Pain strategy!

...Use Rest a lot! Fall on them and Rest! If you beat them up to about 50, then Rest them, they typically go flying long enough for you to recover.

But yes, I imagine dodging is extremely important when playing Jiggly. As I tend to play a very avoidance-based strategy, I might like playing the cute little Puffball.

Though I hated Kirby because he was extremely weak. Hmm...

Gaelbert
2007-07-10, 02:07 AM
I love playing as Jigglypuff at Hyrule and using the rolling attack on the ramps to jump over stuff. I pretty much suck with her though. I'm fairly decent with Zelda.

Skyserpent
2007-07-10, 02:14 AM
I play Link and I actively try to limit Spin-Spamming... but then again, the Up B is pretty frikkin sweet. Yay spinspike!

Laudandus
2007-07-10, 02:40 AM
I play marth. He's fun, and fast, and he has a sword.

Top tier is fox, marth, and sheik. Sheik is probably the best, though.

Krytha
2007-07-10, 02:42 AM
The wall of pain won't cut through a ganon boot. And one missed rest is like a free KO. Not only missed Rests, but a last minute shield will also ruin your day. If you manage to pound them first and get them in the air with a rest, then kudos.

I actually almost never use the Up-B on Link. My friend used to spam it so I thought it was cheap and learned to play Link without it... although it really is a great move. Oh well, I am of the projectile and chase school.

Jibar
2007-07-10, 02:57 AM
Link all the way here.
My entire strategy revolves around beating people near the edge, hitting them into the sky, and then Spin Attacking their asses.
I switch between all the characters pretty evenly though. Link is just my No. 1.
Shiek is no.2
Speaking of which, no sign of Shiek in SSBB yet, which has me very worried.

Dr. Bath
2007-07-10, 04:44 AM
Mr Game and Watch was the greatest! He throws bacon. frickin' bacon.

Sooo awesome, the fact that I normally lose is besides the point.

I like the Ice climers as well, especially when they both have the mallet.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-10, 07:37 AM
Best Characters:

Link - just a great character. So what f he has a crappy jump and running speed. He has great attacks and can kick arse at long and close range.

Captain Falcon - Speed + power = pwnage

Kirby - In 1 on 1 battles, just swallow the opponent and jump off the edge. He will die first so you can repeat until you have won. Plus some decent attacks and speed and one of the best jumping abilities in the game make him one solid character.

Falco - Ok, he's Fox but with a slightly slower running speed and higher jump. So why pick him over Fox? Becaus he's ten times cooler.

Roy - everyone says he is powerful but who cares when you can hear the commentator scream ROY everytime you select him.

Best Items - Mr Saturn (for fun), Homerun Bat (for power) and Parasol (for floaty goodness)

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-10, 08:32 AM
My best character is Kirby. And no, I don't use the cheap "swallow then walk off the edge" strategy.

Best game mode: Tiny melee with poison mushrooms only on high. Kirby becomes a whirling cyclone of hammery death in the air. :smallbiggrin: And can hit someone from twenty paces with his hamemr while on the ground.

Ranis
2007-07-10, 08:52 AM
I play Fox. All of my friends hate me for it; they say that he's a "broken" character. I say whatever, keep making excuses. I'll just keep owning them.

Seriously, it's Nintendo. They balance things.

Fawsto
2007-07-10, 11:14 AM
I go to tournaments most of times... I am always playing at the regionals here in my city... But since I lack of money I can never make it to the national league... (Yeah, we have one, pretty high level, as good as USA's and Japan's. In my opinion, of course XD)

As I said, I am a Link Player (pretty good in the terms of the tournaments in which I go), so is mostly obvious that I love the spin attack. I see it as one of teh best multipourpose attacks of teh game, only loosing to the Fox's and Falco's reflectors.

Fox and Falco are the best characters, indeed, they are a little broken, but I don't care very much... My personal problem is with Marth. He is a braoken character! His smash attack can hit you while you are behind him, while running his grapple stands as near as Link's, and above that all, is edguard moves are ALL good.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-11, 08:26 AM
I play Fox. All of my friends hate me for it; they say that he's a "broken" character. I say whatever, keep making excuses. I'll just keep owning them.

Seriously, it's Nintendo. They balance things.

Uh, no, Smash Bros. Melee isn't close to balanced. Fox is one of the more broken characters.

And it's not really an in-house production. :smallwink: It's only published by Nintendo.

Krytha
2007-07-11, 08:33 AM
Fox is excellent, not broken. You have to train to enormous extents to make him seem broken and even then, he has his own faults that can be exploited. Is that not balance? The shine is one of the most feared weapons in the game yet it cant do much vs a CG combo.

Is DK broken? Go watch CJ or BUM play and tell me what you think.

darkmars20
2007-07-16, 02:14 PM
My best character is Kirby. And no, I don't use the cheap "swallow then walk off the edge" strategy.

Kirby I say is a great character although, he's a low ranked character. I know people who can use him well. Good luck playing with him in brawl.

If you wan to know the best character, it's Zelda, well actually Sheik. She's a fast high ranked character. I rarely ever use her B or forward B moves. I mostly try to get the opponent into the air and beat them up while airborn. If that doesn't work I just attack from one side and then roll to their other side and get them off gaurd. I'm into using mele attacks.

Dragor
2007-07-16, 02:48 PM
I have to play as other characters than Marth because my friends say he's "too good".

When I say, "Why don't you play him, then?" they stay quiet. Marth takes a lot of skill to master, but my friends don't seem to appreciate that.

Krytha
2007-07-17, 12:12 AM
I have to play as other characters than Marth because my friends say he's "too good".

When I say, "Why don't you play him, then?" they stay quiet. Marth takes a lot of skill to master, but my friends don't seem to appreciate that.

Less than you think. My friend started playing with Marth and claimed that the only reason he walked around C-sticking was because that was the only thing Marth could do. He was wrong, but it was still annoying as hell.

So I just played more than he did and beat him much more often than not.

GANONDORF!

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-17, 12:16 AM
I play exclusively Pikachu. Thunder Bolt ftw. I'm trying to break the habit of spamming it endlessly, though. I like Pikachu also because he's fast and mobile, and not very combo-oriented. I used to play Bowser, Samus, and Kirby, but not effectively.

EDIT: I have yet to unlock anyone other than Dr. Mario, Luigi, and Jigglypuff on my own copy, but from what I've seen, Marth can be used very, very effectively. And Link.

Also, am I the only one who has never seen Ice Climber's win a fair match? Only seen Ness win twice, both times played by an uber-pro...

Krytha
2007-07-17, 12:27 AM
I used to play ICs a bit because no one else would play them, probably because no one I know has ever played their original game and thought they were dumb. But as it turns out, the ICs are capable of tons of wacky stuff like de-synching which is absolutely insane.

Also, if you want to see ICs used to their full potential, go on youtube and look for Chu Dat.

Kraggi
2007-07-17, 12:51 AM
Donkey Kong is awesome. Pick someone up, put him on your back, and just walk off cliffs. MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION!

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 04:11 AM
My favorite character would have to be Peach... floating in the air to evade attacks, using the parasol at a last minute opportunity = priceless.

I've unlocked every character on my copy... but I've still got two more levels to unlock... the 15 minute challenge (meh, haven't given it the time of day cause apparently DK Down+B all day isn't as efficient as people make it out to be with those accursed ledge hangers) and completing event #51. Number 36 I would have to add is just stupid... and I dislike Captain Falcon, but I have gotten up to Falco on numerous occasions (even though he's just impossible at this point...)

I HAVE beaten event 50, but it sucks that you have to resort to Yoshi and luck to beat the two hands.

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 04:22 AM
:smallfurious: What do you mean "resort to Yoshi"?! I assure that the noble dinosaur is nothing your must "resort" to!

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 04:43 AM
:smallfurious: What do you mean "resort to Yoshi"?! I assure that the noble dinosaur is nothing your must "resort" to!

Well then, has any one else beaten the Master + Crazy hand at the same time with 300 HP each, with only one life and a character outside of Yoshi?

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 04:54 AM
I've done it with Falco and Marth.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 05:03 AM
I apologize then, no character is worth the means to "resort" to, even though Yoshi's down attack hitting for 52 HP on a couple of lucky Down+B jumps was pretty powerful at the time.

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 05:09 AM
I beat Event 50 with Yoshi as well, but not because it was easier but because Yoshi is my best character. And it's not the down+b that good, its the down+a.

Krytha
2007-07-17, 06:56 AM
I did it fastest with Gaaaaaanondorrrfff. But I hate Yoshi because he's annoying.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-17, 07:25 AM
I did event match 50 with Kirby. Yes, I'm that good with the Kirbster. :smalltongue:

I had to resort of spamming Jigglypuff's Rest for event match 51, though. (That's also how I beat the Majora's Mask 'trophy tussle'...)

The only stage I have left to unlock is the one you get for beating Homerun Contest...

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 09:11 AM
The only stage I have left to unlock is the one you get for beating Homerun Contest...

That one you definitely need to use Yoshi unless you are incredibly good at racking up damage.

Jibar
2007-07-17, 10:41 AM
Donkey Kong was how I beat the 15 minute challenge.
Every now and then I would start smacking them normally to pick up health, but otherwise Down+B got me through.
I have completed a lot of the event matches, but not number 50.
I am nowhere near as good as some people, but you give me Link and I assure you I can kick the butt of most people on this planet.

I haven't got that cruddy Home Run Contest arena either though.
354 metres, 354!

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 10:43 AM
Man, do I feel a bit happy now. I got all of the stages and challenges. Mostly with Yoshi. Yoshi is good clean fun. :smallwink:

Katonta
2007-07-17, 10:56 AM
I, personally, have gotten every character but not gotten all the stages. I was actually able to beat event 51 with Samus, but 50 with Falco. But it did take me about 10 or so tries. Also, what stage do you get for beating Home-run Bat, and how do you beat it? In fact, I think I'll go fire up my copy of it right now.

kpenguin
2007-07-17, 11:09 AM
You unlock Yoshi's Island past stage by knocking the sandbag over 400 meters (1323 feet). Appropriately, the best character to use is Yoshi.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-17, 11:13 AM
You unlock Yoshi's Island past stage by knocking the sandbag over 400 meters (1323 feet). Appropriately, the best character to use is Yoshi.

I beg to differ (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4DS9l17uh2A).

De-synching rocks.

And a bonus music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNbjGxFFffk).

Querzis
2007-07-17, 11:31 AM
Well then, has any one else beaten the Master + Crazy hand at the same time with 300 HP each, with only one life and a character outside of Yoshi?

I did it with Bowser and the Ice Climbers. The hands attack are previsible and easy to avoid as far as I'm concerned. Kill Crazy hand fast and then Master hand is a piece of cake. Event 51 is hard as hell though, I think I beat it two times but I got killed about 200 times. And its not even Giga Bowser that really annoy me but Ganondorf, he always manage to do a smash or his big punch when I cant see him because hes behind Giga Bowser...

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-17, 11:35 AM
Giga Bowser is really easy with characters with hugely powerful attacks with tiny hitboxes (such as Jigglypuff), because his hitbox is so huge...

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 11:36 AM
I beat Event 50 with Yoshi as well, but not because it was easier but because Yoshi is my best character. And it's not the down+b that good, its the down+a.

Ahhh, yeah, must've been brung on by my past post of DK... *a.

There's at least one person here aside from me that has used Yoshi for the 50th, among with the rest of the challenges. :P And the Home Run contest left me with blisters on my thumbs, but I at least finished that as well (or was that me still failing with Ness struggling with one stinking life in stock)...

I've only got a few event matches left before I hit magic number 51, and they're random. Some of the 40+ matches were kinda very fun to beat.

Krytha
2007-07-17, 12:10 PM
The Easiest way to unlock the homerun contest stage is with Roy. Don't even bother picking up the bat, just go straight up to the sand back and Up smash it 3 times getting it around 60. Then while its still in the air, start charging the flare blade. He'll release it by itself at its max if you timed everything right and it'll go far enough to get the level.

4 moves, no blisters!

ziratha
2007-07-17, 09:57 PM
I unlocked all the stages and characters by myself back in the day, all with that lil' yellow spitfire picachu.

Oh, and I beat challenges 50 and 51 with assorted characters, but always best with picachu.

Also beat the game on assorted modes in very hard mode.

My big problem is that I have virtually no experience in multiplayer mode, so I lose in that.

Was I the only one who noticed the AI of the higher level enemies became very predictable? It got to a point where I could say "He will jump... NOW" and it would.

BanjoTheClown
2007-07-17, 10:14 PM
I Like Using Ness. He has a Yo-yo and he can use That Pk Thunder/Fire Thing. Im surprised nobodys even mentioned him yet either.:smallconfused:

Krytha
2007-07-17, 10:39 PM
Maybe everyone else hates Ness with the burning rage of a thousand suns. Like me.

Namaste123
2007-07-17, 11:19 PM
I use Link FTW!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=104Mzc7zLgc

That=WIN!

Katonta
2007-07-18, 12:28 AM
Ness isn't horrible, he's just... um... misunderstood. Truly though, there is little better fun than using yourself as your strongest weapon. By this I mean using PK Thunder to hit yourself in the back, making you go flying in the direction you hit. It is also Ness's third jump, if I'm not mistaken. Although it is really hard to do that with consistent accuracy. All in all, I'd say Ness is probably the hardest to play with and the hardest to master. But once you do, you're still not very good in anything but 1v1 battles.

Krytha
2007-07-18, 01:16 AM
Riiiiight. Because Pichu is waaay easier to play with.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-24, 10:13 AM
Ness is just difficult to use in challenge number 36. :-|

king korath
2007-07-24, 11:20 AM
When I play I play as Samus because she has strong long range and short range skills.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-24, 12:19 PM
i play as Link, Bowser, or Kirby mainly, though i can usually pick up anybody and use them fairly well.(except Ness and Jiggilypuff)

Querzis
2007-07-24, 01:27 PM
Was I the only one who noticed the AI of the higher level enemies became very predictable? It got to a point where I could say "He will jump... NOW" and it would.

No you are right, personnaly I always though it was more challenging to fight level 5-6 computer then level 9 because those sometimes turn back, punch or evade for no reasons at all just like real players. And even better sometimes they flee while level 9 just come at you until they are dead.

Penguinizer
2007-07-24, 01:42 PM
Cap Falcon ftw.

Falcon Paaaauuuunch!

TSGames
2007-07-25, 01:10 AM
Not me, playing competitively requires that you be very good at wavedashing. I learned the technique, but I feel too stressed out when I use it, so I never got good with it. I am ashamed to admit that I play with Marth, the cheapest character in the game. Other than that my favorite characters are Dr. Mario and Yoshi(they're just so much fun to play with).

Anyway, I expect that we'll see sonic in this new game, but I'd much rather have megaman(we're getting one of them). I'm just happy that Yoshi is making a comeback(with a better jump this time too)!

Krytha
2007-07-25, 08:00 AM
Not me, playing competitively requires that you be very good at wavedashing. I learned the technique, but I feel too stressed out when I use it, so I never got good with it. I am ashamed to admit that I play with Marth, the cheapest character in the game. Other than that my favorite characters are Dr. Mario and Yoshi(they're just so much fun to play with).

Anyway, I expect that we'll see sonic in this new game, but I'd much rather have megaman(we're getting one of them). I'm just happy that Yoshi is making a comeback(with a better jump this time too)!

Gah! I hate yoshi! And his stupid noises too!

My friend plays yoshi and when we play it is compulsory to make bad puns all the time and shout out ridiculousness at every turn. The yolk's on you!

kpenguin
2007-07-25, 08:27 AM

My friend plays yoshi and when we play it is compulsory to make bad puns all the time and shout out ridiculousness at every turn. The yolk's on you!

I love Yoshi and the only bad pun I make while playing him is saying "Egg rolls, anyone?" while executing his side-special.

Ranis
2007-07-25, 08:33 AM

What's up with you hating good characters? The reason they're hard to use is because when you do figure them out, you're incredibly good.

Sir Tareg
2007-07-25, 10:10 AM
I have yet to find anyone that agrees with me on these two but I have to say that Ness and Yoshi are completely awesome.

Ness moves in an unpredictable fashion and is good for both ranged and close fights. His PK Thunder move can even stop kirby in his stone move if you control it well. His down-b turns ranged attacks into health.

Yoshi is both heavy and small so he is hard to hit and hard to throw, his moves allow for good mobility and his Egg Throw does pretty good damage. His down-b move is better than Kirby's because you don't have to be exact, just close.

Jibar
2007-07-25, 10:15 AM
Ness is amazing if you can get PK Thunder going.
In one game I was at 400% damage and got blown off the screen. But it wasn't far enough. I jumped, popped up back on screen, hit PK Thunder and brought it into Ness. The extra distance and height meant I landed happily back on the stage.
I then ran across the stage, hitting them with PK Fire twice to slow them down, and at the other end I started charging PH BLast. They arrive, BOOM! The blow that won the match. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-07-25, 10:16 AM
I agree with Sir Tareg. Yoshi and Ness are two characters that are underrated. While I haven't used Ness to good effect, I've seen people who can, and I play a Yoshi that scares the hell out my friends... and surprises anyone who thinks Yoshi is just another one of those silly characters.

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-25, 04:54 PM
Is there any difference between Mario and Dr. Mario? I haven't noticed any. Besides the graphics, anyway.

TheOtherMC
2007-07-25, 05:47 PM
Is there any difference between Mario and Dr. Mario? I haven't noticed any. Besides the graphics, anyway.

Dr. Mario can get you the "good stuff"...

Krytha
2007-07-25, 07:07 PM
What's up with you hating good characters? The reason they're hard to use is because when you do figure them out, you're incredibly good.

Yeah that's why. Except... not. I can play both of them well but I'd rather play bowser than those two.

Icewalker
2007-07-25, 07:24 PM
At almost anything in life, including games, people are weak at first, and as you practice you get better.

With most characters, you proceed in skill at an even pace, at least to my knowledge.

With Fox however, it is very easy near the beginning to make a huge jump and be over anybody else playing other characters with equal skill, but it is then a much harder hump before you can truly master Fox. My friend wrecks everybody (almost wins 3v1 and we aren't bad) with him. I played him until I realized this, then switched over to Sheik.

I have also found that playing against people, Bowser sucks due to his speed, but against comps he rules. I dunno why, because the computers at high difficulty have crazy reflexes, but I find him really good against em.

Captain Falcon is my second character, followed by Ganondorf (I prefer speed), Samus, and Kirby.

Me and a few friends made three characters, all jigglypuff, gave them names all along the lines of puff, poof, etc. Then we formed the puffball suicide squad. Used just about nothing but the rolls, and set up all these codenames for locations and certain shots on Hyrule. It was great. We do alright, and the constant dying is great, maybe a quarter of the shots will end with you flying off if they dodge, and if you hit em near an edge moving away, you fall off.

I'm lookin forward to Brawl, basically bought a Wii for it (Also Metroid Prime 3).

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-07-25, 07:43 PM
I'm a Fox player myself. I'm pretty good, but it took a lot of practice. Wavedashing is really great. Waveshining is even better. I can even do shine infinities (endless shine combos) for a short time, before I screw up. Shinespikes are great. Everybody hates being meteored by what's technically a shield.:smallbiggrin:

TSGames
2007-07-26, 12:16 AM
Several very substantial differences, the cape is a different size, the pills act differently than the fireballs, and, of course, the good Doctor is slightly slower and dishes out heavier hits. Dr. Kevorkian FTW!

tgva8889
2007-07-26, 01:03 AM
The only character I've actually found to be unplayable is Mewtwo. Or maybe I just suck at playing Mewtwo. Pick one. I've found him to be so painfully slow that you can't beat anything with him.

Krytha
2007-07-26, 01:04 AM
The only character I've actually found to be unplayable is Mewtwo. Or maybe I just suck at playing Mewtwo. Pick one. I've found him to be so painfully slow that you can't beat anything with him.

Wavedash and L-cancel. It will speed him up a good deal.

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-26, 07:52 PM
I absolutely adore SSBM, and Brawl is one of the few games that I am seriously considering purchasing a Wii for. I'm really looking forward to trying out Pit and Meta Knight. Some of the levels and music are fantastic, and DOJO! is one of my regular sites to check when I get up in the afternoon (I'm sooo lazy).

My favourite character by far is Roy. I like his balance of speed and power, complete with the no-nonsense power of his smash attacks. One of those characters with whom I rarely press the B button, unless it's to grab extra damage with his Up and B jump attack. Dodge a lot and smash a lot is my tactic, and it works very well against the people I play against.

Other characters that I enjoy playing as are Sheik, Young Link and Bowser. I love the speed of Sheik, especially her "side dash A button attack", I love juggling people with that thing. Bowser's just great to play for fun, particularly in four-way games. Half the cast I would put into my "hate" list, but especially Peach (I simply don't use her, and haven't used her except to get trophies) and Luigi (I hate his rubbishy running punch thing he does, and his silly Headbutt dive).

On the subject of tournaments, this is one of the few games that I would consider trying at a competition level. Fortunately we've recently been allowed to play consoles at school, (in breaks...) so I get time to practice against my friends for a change. I can beat all (relatively easily) except a guy who does play this game at tourney level, (using Marth). I can get kills against him, but just not enough in one game. I feel that I could beat him in the end, but with practice and perseverance. Although if I judge tourney level as "being able to beat tourney players" then I'm ready to start competing at Soul Calibur 2...
I've always played games for fun, and so I've yet to get the hang of edge-hogging perfectly, for example (because that's not fun) :smallannoyed:

Counterpower
2007-07-26, 10:03 PM
My brother beat everything (except Home-Run Contest) with Dr. Mario. Including Event #51. I personally prefer Samus. There was far too long a time when we just played 2v2 and I hid behind by ally spamming Charge Beams and Missiles, but I'm starting to play Samus more effectively now. My favorite part is using the Charge Beam as my finishing move. I can hardly wait for Zero Suit Samus from Brawl.

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-27, 04:29 PM
Am I the only person who is seriously worried about these Final Smash abilities that they're implementing in Brawl? Admittedly only a few have been previewed on DOJO! so far, but I think that they will shift the dynamic of the game. As if Nintendo are throwing in insta-kill moves to "balance" it, instead of it purely being a beat-em-up that relies on skill. This is probably the only thing I am concerned about, but I can hardly say I know enough until I've played the game...

But I am definitely looking forward to seeing the Assist Trophy characters in all their glory. Pokeballs have always been my favourite items in the two games, and these seem to be very similar, but an excuse for even more Nintendo characters to participate out of static trophy pose.

Krytha
2007-07-27, 04:57 PM
The competitive smash community will likely avoid Final Smashes in all tourney settings. They are more for the casual party smashers. I think they are neat and all, but if they wanted to make these things competitive, a charge meter would've been better suited to the task. But I have no doubt that that wasn't their goal.

TSGames
2007-07-29, 02:37 AM
Am I the only person who is seriously worried about these Final Smash abilities that they're implementing in Brawl? Admittedly only a few have been previewed on DOJO! so far, but I think that they will shift the dynamic of the game. As if Nintendo are throwing in insta-kill moves to "balance" it, instead of it purely being a beat-em-up that relies on skill. This is probably the only thing I am concerned about, but I can hardly say I know enough until I've played the game...

But I am definitely looking forward to seeing the Assist Trophy characters in all their glory. Pokeballs have always been my favourite items in the two games, and these seem to be very similar, but an excuse for even more Nintendo characters to participate out of static trophy pose.
Final Smashes don't really concern me much since they are item based. I'll try a few matches with them, but it looks like already some are superior to others. Kirby's and Link's, for example, only attack one person, or so it appears, while Mario and Picachu's are capable of hitting sevral or all other enemies. If I don't like them I'll just turn off the item, but there is one thing I'm curious about... that's Samus. When she shoots with a super charged blast she turn into Zero-suit Samus, which makes me wonder if that's the result of her using her final smash or if it's merely a fully charged blast. Either way, I'm happy that they are adding several new and substantial dynamics to the game.

Krytha
2007-07-29, 11:29 AM
When she shoots with a super charged blast she turn into Zero-suit Samus, which makes me wonder if that's the result of her using her final smash or if it's merely a fully charged blast. Either way, I'm happy that they are adding several new and substantial dynamics to the game.

That is a result of her final smash. So far, all things point to a one-way transformation under those exact circumstances (which sucks IMO).

TSGames
2007-07-29, 05:59 PM
That is a result of her final smash. So far, all things point to a one-way transformation under those exact circumstances (which sucks IMO).

I don't think Masahiro Sakurai would allow that, given how enthusiastic he seems to be about every facet of this game, I doubt he would create a character that could only be used if an item is turned on. I'm sure that ZSS will be a playable character even with the final smashes turned off, or perhaps there will/is another way to trigger the transformation. To me, it just seems out of character for him to limit the game in any way, especially character selection.

Krytha
2007-07-29, 07:14 PM
I don't think Masahiro Sakurai would allow that, given how enthusiastic he seems to be about every facet of this game, I doubt he would create a character that could only be used if an item is turned on. I'm sure that ZSS will be a playable character even with the final smashes turned off, or perhaps there will/is another way to trigger the transformation. To me, it just seems out of character for him to limit the game in any way, especially character selection.

I'd love for it to be that way, but right now he's pretty tight lipped so I'm going to assume the worst.

Jibar
2007-08-01, 07:47 AM
This kasbah just got rocked.
I think Martha and Roy are officially out now.
New Challanger Incoming!

Ike!

From the looks of things we're switching out two Fire Eblem characters for one that could perhaps be better recognised.

Krytha
2007-08-01, 12:07 PM
I've never played FE but I guess I'd be ok with Ike replacing Martha and Roy.

Maryring
2007-08-01, 12:31 PM
I love the SSB series. I loved SSB and I love SSBM. And in SSBM, my favourites are without a doubt Pikachu and Pichu, even though I find that they're very weak. (Pichu is the weakest, and Pikachu is somewhere in the lower tier)

Anyway, regarding Event matches, I've beat all of them with Pikachu, and most with Pichu. The ones where you can choose who to play as anyway. I've also gotten all stages and characters. I have also managed to beat Event 50 with all 25 characters in the game, and I beat Event 51 with Peach without being hit even once.

Overall though, I'm average with all characters. I'm no expert with any one of them, but I can play good with basically any character in the rooster. Other than the chus, I like to play as Ness, Peach and Ice Climbers.

Dragor
2007-08-01, 12:51 PM
I love the SSB series. I loved SSB and I love SSBM. And in SSBM, my favourites are without a doubt Pikachu and Pichu, even though I find that they're very weak. (Pichu is the weakest, and Pikachu is somewhere in the lower tier)

Anyway, regarding Event matches, I've beat all of them with Pikachu, and most with Pichu. The ones where you can choose who to play as anyway. I've also gotten all stages and characters. I have also managed to beat Event 50 with all 25 characters in the game, and I beat Event 51 with Peach without being hit even once.

Overall though, I'm average with all characters. I'm no expert with any one of them, but I can play good with basically any character in the rooster. Other than the chus, I like to play as Ness, Peach and Ice Climbers.

Seems you like playing quite light-weight players. I used to play as Pikachu on the original Smash Bros. , and people found out that he made up for his light-weight and low damaging normal attacks with some killer special moves and possibly the best Recovery Move in the game.

kpenguin
2007-08-01, 03:04 PM
New Challanger Incoming!

Ike!

From the looks of things we're switching out two Fire Eblem characters for one that could perhaps be better recognised.

Not having played the FE series, I'll have to judge Ike on appearance. He seems to be closer to Roy than Marth, weilding such a heavy sword.

TSGames
2007-08-01, 06:55 PM
New Challanger Incoming!

Ike!

I think Roy might be out :( but I wouldn't bet just yet that Marth is out of the game. Marth is too popular in Japan to be taken out of the game, and I thought that Roy was, but then again, maybe adding another heavy hitter from the same series means that Roy will be revamped. Marth is fast, Ike is strong, and Roy will probably be in the middle which will mean that he sucks, again. *sigh*

TSGames
2007-08-01, 10:58 PM
I think this warrants a double post(I'm entitled to one, right?). For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, here is a picture of Ike.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/ike/ike.jpg

Querzis
2007-08-01, 11:19 PM
Ike is so freaking cool, I hoped he would be in Brawl. Maybe we'll have Soren, Titania and Bboyd too if we are really lucky but I'm probably asking for too much. Anyway, since Ike is the only one who had the «challenger approching», it make me think that Ike is the only character until now that you dont have at the start of the game.

Accountant
2007-08-01, 11:19 PM
I think this warrants a double post(I'm entitled to one, right?). For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, here is a picture of Ike.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/ike/ike.jpg

I think people like the edit button, actually.

I do love that picture though. FE is a teriffic series, and Path of Radiance could very well have been the best one. Even though most people I know think it should have just stayed with the GBA.

TSGames
2007-08-02, 12:12 AM
... Anyway, since Ike is the only one who had the «challenger approching», it make me think that Ike is the only character until now that you dont have at the start of the game.

Good eye, I think that you're right. This means that we'll start seeing more unlockable characters soon. Yay?

Anyway, reading what it says about Ike, it's fairly obvious that either he has an effective one hit kill move(probably similar to Roy's attack in Melee) or his final smash is a one hit kill(probably both of these).

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 02:55 AM
Alright, it looks like we actually might have a viable single-player mode with this Space Emissary thing.

Querzis
2007-08-03, 02:59 AM
Alright, it looks like we actually might have a viable single-player mode with this Space Emissary thing.

It look great alright, I wonder what Metaknight as to do with all of this (its his ship we see in the movie after all). But you know, since its called Adventure mode: the Subspace emissary, I hope that mean there is actually going to be more then one adventure mode, that would be cool.

Jibar
2007-08-03, 03:29 AM
You're all ignoring the most important part of the news post.

Peach is still in!

Yay!

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 03:44 AM
I would of preferred a formal announcement of Peach.

Krytha
2007-08-03, 11:26 AM
What a bomb of a post! I still haven't gone through the whole thing!

Maryring
2007-08-03, 12:19 PM
Seems you like playing quite light-weight players. I used to play as Pikachu on the original Smash Bros. , and people found out that he made up for his light-weight and low damaging normal attacks with some killer special moves and possibly the best Recovery Move in the game.
Yeah, they are. My style of fighting is usually defensive, with a lot of blocks and dodges, so I'm good at covering the light-weight group weakpoint. OHKOs. Anyway, Pikachu was far stronger in the original game, however with the SSBM, most characters was upgraded. Pikachu only received a new, mostly worthless move. Pichu is a lighter, weaker verison of Pikachu, who has only one advantage. Pichu is smaller. They have poor smash, no meteor attacks and only one good B move, namely thunder. A move that leaves them wide open for attack. Quick Attack is now only decent since many characters have some insane recovery moves, and Agility deals damage with each use.

But... Brawl looks good. I want it. NOW.

TSGames
2007-08-03, 01:57 PM

I hope so, but I don't expect it to be the kind of single player game that I'd want to play through a couple of times. I expect I'll play through it to get all the characters and then probably never play it again. I am, however, hopeful that it wil exceed my expectations.

Dragor
2007-08-03, 02:06 PM
Well, Pit is set to be my favourite new character on Brawl. How's about you? Of course, Wario should be entertaining.

TSGames
2007-08-03, 02:25 PM
Well, Pit is set to be my favourite new character on Brawl. How's about you? Of course, Wario should be entertaining.

Pit also seems to be my favorite. Not only is he old-school, but he's a angel. There's just something poetic about dishing out beatings as an angel, serving your opponents from on high. Then again, metaknight seems pretty cool too and I'm interested in getting the feel of both characters, especially in regards to their wings.

Dragor
2007-08-03, 02:28 PM
Pit also seems to be my favorite. Not only is he old-school, but he's a angel. There's just something poetic about dishing out beatings as an angel, serving your opponents from on high. Then again, metaknight seems pretty cool too and I'm interested in getting the feel of both characters, especially in regards to their wings.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Meta Knight in the slightest? I still have bad memories of Kirby's Air Ride where he just ruined the whole game. I just hope he's not as fast as he is in the trailers.

Well, seems I'll be shedding the role of the only person who plays Marth in my circle of mates. *sheds tears*

I hope they make the Balloon Fight guy an assist trophy. That guy is made of awesomeness.

Scroofy
2007-08-03, 03:05 PM
You guys are probably going to think I am an idiot but my fav char and one I am definetly most effective with is.....Luigi. I don't know why, I played him in the original and melee and have always done well with him. I recall going to my friends place after not seeing him in a year and we were playing him using samus (he is pretty good) and he just started laughing when I picked Luigi. I ended up winning 10 ko's to 3. His words were..."Wtf...I have never seen anyone use luigi like that."

Now I know he isn't a high tier char. but hey I like him :P

Querzis
2007-08-03, 03:31 PM
I also think Pit will be a great character but my favorite new character is Wario...and hes also my favorite character ever anyway. I really look forward to do a piledrive or hit everyone with his cool motorbike or to throw someone while he yell: «have a rotten day».

Dragor
2007-08-03, 03:47 PM
You guys are probably going to think I am an idiot but my fav char and one I am definetly most effective with is.....Luigi. I don't know why, I played him in the original and melee and have always done well with him. I recall going to my friends place after not seeing him in a year and we were playing him using samus (he is pretty good) and he just started laughing when I picked Luigi. I ended up winning 10 ko's to 3. His words were..."Wtf...I have never seen anyone use luigi like that."

Now I know he isn't a high tier char. but hey I like him :P

That's not idiotic at all..... Luigi is much more reckless than his brother- if you simply pile in you can dish a lot of damage. KO'ing them with his taunt is the greatest thing you should aspire to do :smalltongue:

All the characters rule, in his or her own way. I don't like the way people keep on putting the characters in 'tiers' and saying "Fox will have an advantage over all lower tiers" because he won't if the lower tier character player is cleverer and adapts.

Have a rotten day! Classic.

Penguinizer
2007-08-03, 04:26 PM
That one you definitely need to use Yoshi unless you are incredibly good at racking up damage.

Do somekind of funky down throwing+Down A with cap falcon, then a falcon paunch. I've seen it do more than 6k meters.

SITB
2007-08-03, 06:18 PM
Do somekind of funky down throwing+Down A with cap falcon, then a falcon paunch. I've seen it do more than 6k meters.

Roy, it's that simple.

A+^.

A+^.

Fully charged B.

I usually play as Link, but when playing free for all with 4 people I take Ganandorf for real ultimate power.

Krytha
2007-08-03, 06:23 PM
That's not idiotic at all..... Luigi is much more reckless than his brother- if you simply pile in you can dish a lot of damage. KO'ing them with his taunt is the greatest thing you should aspire to do :smalltongue:

I've done it once but thats because we were playing 1v1. Otherwise people always come and biff me from behind when I'm trying to do something at the edge. It DOES count as a meteor attack though (how?)

I will probably play Zelda Zelda Zelda because she's my favourite princess... and now that her default colour is violet/purple/indigo I don't have to do costume swaps anymore! Hoolay!

I hope she's a bit faster now though...

Maryring
2007-08-03, 11:53 PM
I'll probably be clinging to Pikachu as usual, though Pit looks like a neat character to choose too. I loved to play as Marth and Roy in the original, but I'm not entirely sure if I am going to enjoy Ike, as he seems to be heavier, slower and stronger than the other two knights.

As for Luigi, he's okay, but I find him incredibly annoying to control. Especially in midair, because although he jumps high, he also moves erratically while jumping. He's got a lot of damage potential though.

Krytha
2007-08-04, 12:07 AM
Luigi is great in the air and on the ground (more this if you can wavedash well) His Fair, and Dair are great and his Bair and Uair are... weaker... but the first two more than make up for it. The thing he loses out most on is not having a cape, but he seems to do ok without it I guess. Still not fond of the recovery though... super easy to guard against unless you can get his tornado to go up instead of down and death...

Albub
2007-08-04, 01:45 AM
Seeing as Kirby and all Kirby games are the best ever (read: Kirby Superstar is the best game ever, like ever) I just can't understand how someone could dislike Metaknight. Especially if the main reason is that they disliked him in a different game, seems silly and almost bigoted... I've never got the hang of Kirby though, I kind of play a guy until I'm not bad with them and go play someone new, leading to me never ever excelling with anyone. The only character I dislike is Link, though I've never actually used him ever, and I've owned SSBM since it came out. I've used young Link though. My favourites at this point in time would have to be Jigglypuff, because she can aerial everything, and my friends are retards so if I start losing I can sit back and do my B attack and they never seem to catch on; IC because they's real good; and Ness, because there is little in the game more satisfactory than hitting someone with a full charged PK Flash. Also, I don't understand some of the terminology here, what's a Waveshine, and what is meteoring? Also, IMO there aren't any "broken" characters, because nobody I know plays enough to exploit them. If they try anything dirty, Jigglypuff usually has something to counter it with. In fact I think every "broken" strategy has some way to beat it.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-08-04, 11:15 AM
Waveshine
Fox's reflector shield (commonly know as the Shine) can be jumped out of. You jump out of it and wavedash with that jump. It's much faster than just letting the shield go, and you get to move while you're at it.

Meteoring
... is sending someone straight down while they're in the air over the edge of the stage. It's really hard to come back to the stage after being meteor smashed. An example is Ganondorf's down air, (often shortened to Dair), or Mario's Fair (forward air).

Penguinizer
2007-08-04, 11:50 AM
Or cap falcons Donkey Toe Drop to Hell...

I like Cap Falcon, pretty simple to learn...

PhallicWarrior
2007-08-04, 08:48 PM
I love Kirby! I've always been better with him (it?) than anyone else. I am sometimes called the spinning box of death because I never stop moving. I almost never touch the ground. AI up until about 4 or 5 can't KO me at all. All things considered, I'm probably not very good, but MNOCHRM Kirby has become feared among my (admittedly younger) cousins. Also, I can't wait for Brawl! Metaknight is one of my fave characters and he looks like he might become my new secialty character.

Krytha
2007-08-04, 09:50 PM
I love killing Kirby just to hear it scream...

Albub
2007-08-05, 01:12 AM
The best screams are like, Mario; Luigi; and Link because my brother who is better than me always plays as link and it's so satisfying to know I killed him, with some character I just picked up/haven't played for months.

SpiderKoopa
2007-08-05, 01:14 AM

You, sir, are my hero.

Dragor
2007-08-05, 08:34 AM
There was one time when we were playing SSBM around a mates house. I was playing as Marth, two people were Link and one was Kirby.

The guy playing as Kirby is talking to one of the people who isn't playing about college and similar things, all of the time just pressing 'up' on the control stick.

He wasn't killed for the entire game.

He wasn't even looking at the screen.

His comment by the end of it was "Oh, I was supposed to be playing?" :smalltongue:

Penguinizer
2007-08-05, 11:02 AM
Heh, that's awesome. My most useful tactic I have forgotten was the Kirby Edgedrop. You suck them up, jump over the edge, and release them downwards. If done right, they can't jump up anymore.

MethodicalMeat
2007-08-05, 11:25 AM
I tell you, there is nothing more satisfying (for me, at any rate) than smashing the bejeebus out of people with Gannondorf. If you smash Down+A while in the air, he does this nifty little electric-kick thing that brutalizes people that are standing on the ground.

Penguinizer
2007-08-05, 11:39 AM
He's pretty much like Cap Falcon. I prefer falcon though since he moves a bit faster.

Dragor
2007-08-05, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Ganondorf is such a Falcon clone. On one of the attacks they even forgot to remove one of his sounds from Ganondorf....

And it's a shame Ganondorf doesn't get his sword in battle. That would even stuff up.

Penguinizer
2007-08-05, 02:41 PM
I might need to get a couple of GC controllers for cheap and a copy of Melee while waiting for next one.

I need to pracitce some more advanced moves in order to Pwn my cousins :P

Krytha
2007-08-05, 04:20 PM
Ganondorf crushes Captain "Special Ed." Falcon. Eat mighty fist, bird boy!

Penguinizer
2007-08-05, 04:27 PM
I'll just dodge-roll away. Anyways, I need to check if I can get a copy of Melee and a couple of controllers for less than 50 Euros.

blakyoshi7
2007-08-05, 06:03 PM
Every GC controller I have has had it's control stick completely obliterated by Melee.
I really hope Brawl is a little less rough on controllers.

Dragor
2007-08-05, 06:11 PM
Every GC controller I have has had it's control stick completely obliterated by Melee.
I really hope Brawl is a little less rough on controllers.

Truth.

My third-party controllers (we had 3 good ones and 5 cheap ones so we could do Mario Kart LAN) are all slowly turning yellow at the sticks. It's quite hideous.

Krytha
2007-08-05, 06:59 PM
I'll just dodge-roll away. Anyways, I need to check if I can get a copy of Melee and a couple of controllers for less than 50 Euros.

And I'll just close the distance with WDs. Captain chicken cannot evade boots of fury forever.

Penguinizer
2007-08-06, 01:33 AM
Quite on the contrary, dodge + WD, then guard grab.

Impossible to know without trying. I would say they are quite evenly matched.

Krytha
2007-08-06, 05:16 AM
Quite on the contrary, dodge + WD, then guard grab.

Impossible to know without trying. I would say they are quite evenly matched.

Why would you dodge and then wavedash? Ganondorf has no ranged attacks, so if youre dodging, it means you are point blank and after dodging you would JC grab. The whole series of movements is made redundant by shield grabbing anyway. So if that's how you play falcon... I don't think they are matched at all...

Dumbledore lives
2007-08-09, 12:57 AM
This is kinda unrelated but I was talking to some people at my new school and no one I talked too had played melee! I was like, what the heck? And I don't know what's up because they have all played console games just not melee. Anyway, Brawl looks awesome and I check the sight every other day or so, just when I get bored. I'm really excited about Ike even though I liked Marth even though I wasn't great with him.

Dragor
2007-08-09, 09:36 AM
Just seen the updates on the official website- Subspace Emissary looks brilliant, Ike looks awesome, and.....and Pit's final smash..... :smalleek:

*drools on keyboard*

themightybiggun
2007-08-09, 08:28 PM
Gotta throw down the chant for my best...

GANONDOOOORRRRF!

Hehe, playing Ganon is like playing Dolph Lundgren. "I must break you..."

TheOtherMC
2007-08-10, 10:02 AM
Gotta throw down the chant for my best...

GANONDOOOORRRRF!

Hehe, playing Ganon is like playing Dolph Lundgren. "I must break you..."

For those of you not in the know, Dolph is best known for his portrayal of IVan Drago in Rocky IV, as well as He-Man in the craptacticlar 80's Masters of the universe movie. BY THE POWER OF SYNTESIZER KEYS!

Manave_E_Sulanul
2007-08-10, 11:50 AM
Not enough Mario love.

Much less DR. Mario love. Take your pills!

Krytha
2007-08-10, 12:04 PM
I like Doc, but with him I'm just Bair Bair Bair. His arms are so stubby..

Dragor
2007-08-10, 01:09 PM
It's always interesting when I play as Dr Mario vs Mario. I turn his costume to the black equivalent.

"I won't be beaten by my evil medical manifestation" became the chant for most of me and my brothers matches :smalltongue:

Ah, I revisited Smash Bros Melee with my friends just a day before. My, glorious carnage.

choryukami
2007-08-10, 01:36 PM
I'm atleast pretty good with almost all the characters. My favorite characters are definitely:

Marth: He's very fast, high priority, and his strongest attacks are at the tip of his sword. Makes a very effective game of keep-away or juggles very well. I mostly use A attacks, and flip around dodging and juggling.

Ganondorf: I use him for 4 man a lot more. He's got a lot of 1-on-1 power. If you stay away from hid B moves and you know how to dodge/airdodge, roll, cancel and recover you can overcome his sluggishness. He also has a lot of power in B-down and A-down for group melees. I find it a lot of fun to knock whole groups around.

Ness: Not the best character in the game, I enjoy him for nostalgia's sake and I believe I've gotten quite good with him. I make heavy use of his melee attacks and save his PSI attacks for when an opponent is in a melee or flying. PSI Fire is good in melee, however.

By extension this means I am also good with Captain Falcon and Roy, though I don't like them as much, and don't enjoy Falcon's speed as much as Ganon's power.

What I would call my second tier of characters (including Roy and Falcon, though I don't like Falcon):
Mario/Dr. Mario
Peach
Zelda
Link
Young Link
Pichu
Pikachu
Falco
Fox

Though on Falco and Fox I suicide sometimes with their B attack.

Everybody else I'm atleast moderately good with. The only couple that I am pretty bad with (knowing regular moves but no real ability to use them very well) are:
Ice Climbers
and Samus.

I also just don't like Mewtwo very much, but I'm not bad with him.

Ronsian
2007-08-10, 06:41 PM
Dang, I was playing a game against a skilled Pichu. They hurt. Sure, they take about 2 damage every move, but they do much more then Pikachu. One fully charged Side-B can easily kill.

tannish2
2007-08-12, 07:27 AM
1. marth, roy sucks, slower and shorter range... i hope they put him in brawl, after all, they didnt remove any characters from original to melee...
2. samus... just because... and i love bombs, metroid games, and bombs... did i mention bombs?
3. link... downstab and bombs.... people always underestimate them, but.... bombs... pwninatiilizenessism you but i hope zero suit samus is faster.. i know samus is fast i just dislike cheese in my games
4. sheik...crap, this one they might not add into brawl... after all it was just zeldas down B.....
their all really close. but those are my favorites. DAMMIT NINTENDO INVENT THE ****ING TIME MACHINE(when its invented doesnt matter, because its a time machine)! AND USE IT TO GET BRAWL OVER HERE LAST MONTH!....... dammit they didnt/wont have read that did/will they?

o and favorite stages... big blue, hyrule temple, final destination, corneria, any of the DK ones including the N64 one... especially that one, but my top 2 are big blue and hyrule temple by far.

Volug
2007-08-12, 09:00 AM
roy's t3h pwn4r. with a slightly charged flare blade it can easily do 30+ dmg or even an instant KO (yes ive done it pleanty of times to know its not luck)
even though hes slow, hes stronger then marth. nuff said

Hzurr
2007-08-12, 09:15 AM
Let me give some analysis in other areas:

Best Taunts
Pichu - So bloody cute. There are matches that I'll do nothing but stand in the middle of the stage and taunt, because it's so hilarious.
Young Link - Lon Lon milk for the win!
Donkey Kong - While the move in and of itself is amusing, if you ever want hours of laughter, ask other people to try and imitate the taunt in real life. It's amazing.

Best Costume
Falco - Dark Green - He looks like Fonzie. Heeeeyyyyyyy!
Kirby - white - KIRBY'S A MIME!!!
Pichu - Aviator Goggles - Ok, as stated above, Pichu is adorable, but pichu in aviator goggles and a scarf? He's so cute you almost feel bad attacking him. Almost.
Captain Falcon - white/Pink - A walking valentines day card
Dr. Mario - black coat - Also known as "The Abortionist" (apologies to any who are offended by that)

Most entertaining moves
Captain Falcon - "The Knee of Justice" - ...did you just fly across the entire stage knee-first?
Luigi - "Poke" - You charge up, and poke people. Hard.
Princess Peach - "Tampon Toad" - Where exactly is she keeping Toad for her down-b attack?
Bowser - "Eating people" -This move is particularly terrifying when you're a small character (it looks like Bowser bites off Pichu's head every time)
Mr. Game and Watch - "Sausage Fest" - I thought it was bacon for a long time. I was saddened to find out differently

Volug
2007-08-12, 09:19 AM
u forgot to add Marth's Wedding Suit (marth with White Costume)

Tarken
2007-08-12, 09:55 AM
Sheik, Sheik all the way, I annoy the hell out of people:smallannoyed: then it just gets easier to dodge:smallmad: , then their eyes get twitchy:smallfurious: then I turn into zelda for her "heel of death" attack around 200%-250% damage. :smallbiggrin:

they don't find it so funny

Vhaidara
2007-08-12, 11:24 AM
Sheik and Roy pwn. My friend pwns all with Link, though. Also, Giga Bowser versus Micro Pichu is comdey central
Bowser: Hold still so I can figure out where you are, dammit!
Pichu: Don't step on me!

Maryring
2007-08-12, 05:46 PM
Let me give some analysis in other areas:

Best Taunts
Pichu - So bloody cute. There are matches that I'll do nothing but stand in the middle of the stage and taunt, because it's so hilarious.Young Link - Lon Lon milk for the win!
Donkey Kong - While the move in and of itself is amusing, if you ever want hours of laughter, ask other people to try and imitate the taunt in real life. It's amazing.

Best Costume
Falco - Dark Green - He looks like Fonzie. Heeeeyyyyyyy!
Kirby - white - KIRBY'S A MIME!!!
Pichu - Aviator Goggles - Ok, as stated above, Pichu is adorable, but pichu in aviator goggles and a scarf? He's so cute you almost feel bad attacking him. Almost.Captain Falcon - white/Pink - A walking valentines day card
Dr. Mario - black coat - Also known as "The Abortionist" (apologies to any who are offended by that)

Most entertaining moves
Captain Falcon - "The Knee of Justice" - ...did you just fly across the entire stage knee-first?
Luigi - "Poke" - You charge up, and poke people. Hard.
Princess Peach - "Tampon Toad" - Where exactly is she keeping Toad for her down-b attack?
Bowser - "Eating people" -This move is particularly terrifying when you're a small character (it looks like Bowser bites off Pichu's head every time)
Mr. Game and Watch - "Sausage Fest" - I thought it was bacon for a long time. I was saddened to find out differently
Almost perfect, especially the bolded parts. However, you forgot one move.
Pichu - "crying thunder, hidden tear - As far as I know, Pichu is the only character to ever cry (as in, teary wet eye) when making an attack.

Jibar
2007-08-13, 02:16 AM
Say, anybody ever devise some fun versions of multiplayer?
The recent Pokemon Trainer update has reminded me of mine.
Pokemon Battle.
Two people would select ordinary characters, while the other two players would pick pokemon. They'd be put into teams so there was one human (the trainer) and one pokemon.
You play on the Pokemon arena, with only the pokeballs turned on and on very high.
Now, the two pokemon characters can fight each other, but the trainers had to pick up the pokeballs to use on each other.

When it got going, it could be a really fun battle, especially once the arena started changing.

TSGames
2007-08-13, 02:30 AM
Warning!
Challenger Approaching!
Pokemon Trainer
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer_070813a-l.jpg

My opinion:
WTF?

Ettlesby
2007-08-13, 02:46 AM
Warning!
Challenger Approaching!
Pokemon Trainer
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer_070813a-l.jpg

My opinion:
WTF?

There's one good thing about it.

At least it's Red, and not that...'Ash'...kid.

Dragor
2007-08-13, 04:38 AM
No..... not more Pokemon stuff. :smallfrown:

I mean, Pikachu and Pichu I have accepted, because of their cuteness, comedy value and general kick-ass fights (sometimes).

Pokemon Trainer is too much. I'm betting that his smash move will be

6 Pokeballs in the arena at once, high chance that they're legendary/very big.

SKarious
2007-08-13, 04:47 AM
so coooool!
I love it. It'll be as fun as Zelda/Sheik only with 3 chars. And they're all very cute.
Probably the final smash will change the char to a legendary. "Go forth and crush them, my Rayquaza!"

Dihan
2007-08-13, 04:55 AM
Atleast it's something different to the usual pokemon.

Also, Sakurai said that not every character will be returning - he probably meant the clones. So Pichu may not stay anyway.

Jibar
2007-08-13, 04:57 AM
Well you never know, the trainer does appear to be an ol' school Red and Blue guy...
Of course, he'd be a little more powerful than the last game due to it being a Final Smash, but I can really see:

Final Smash: I Choose You, Mewtwo!

Edit: I'm forming a theory on the Final Smashs.
From the pictures they supply, and the descriptions, I reckon that the wider blast ones, Mario Finale, Zero Laser and Paulenta's Army, are going to be able to hurt the enemy, but not smash them, like Falco's blaster, while the singular/concentrated ones, Triforce Slash, Volt Tackle or Konga Blast, will be capable of sending opponents flying.
Ones like Giga Bowser Transformation will probably be similar to Giant Mushrooms, just on a greater scale.

Dihan
2007-08-13, 05:00 AM
I think this cofnirms that we won't be seeing Squirtle, Ivysaur or Charizard in random pokeballs.

^Yeah, I just thought that too. It would knock off another pokemon off the list as playables and shove it under one character.

SITB
2007-08-13, 08:10 AM
What happens when Kirby tries to swallow one of them? He jumps to the background and start to command a bunch of Kirby clones?

Dihan
2007-08-13, 08:17 AM
Or he just gains the B attack of the one he swallowed... Just like he did with Zelda/Shiek.

tgva8889
2007-08-13, 09:27 AM
The wider blast Final Smashes seem to look like they hurt a lot. I mean, not Pit's, but Mario's looked rather painful, and Samus's is probably really good, because it costs her the suit. Unless Zero Suit Samus is a better character.

And the Giga Bowser transformation isn't like a Super Shroom. It makes Bowser into a really, really big Bowser that's uber-juiced. I imagine all his moves will send opponents flying.

Squirtle and Ivysaur were never in pokeballs. Charizard is the only real loss.

Well, Kirby probably gains the B move of whichever pokemon he sucks in, and a matching hat.

I imagine each pokemon has different moves, so you'll literally need to become a "pokemon master" to be good at the Trainer. And yes, I did just make a pun that I should be brutally beaten for.

I think the Trainer's Final Smash will depend on the pokemon. Squirtle will probably invoke some sort of Hydro Pump, where he spins around and shoots water at enemies, Ivysaur's will probably be Frenzy Plant, and Charizard will invoke either Blast Burn or Seismic Toss, though the toss could be a throw move.

However, the "I choose you, [insert legendary here]" option is always open. I'd think they'd choose a more recent legendary. I'd have said Deoxys, but he's already a pokeball-pokemon, so that's not really an option.

Though Deoxys would have been a completely awesome character. Switching forms by using down-B or something, and then having slightly different "stats" depending on the form, like the Speed Form would be faster but easier to send flying than the other forms, where as the Defense Form would be really heavy but also slow, the Attack Form would be a heavy hitter probably lacking in the other areas, and the Normal Form would be an all-around character.

As for fun versions of "multiplayer", there's a couple. Pokemon Battle (everyone's a pokemon) is one of the more fun ones, but there's also Space Wars (Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, and Samus as the only legal characters, with only futuristic items) and Animal Wars (Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Fox, and Falco). Although I tried playing super-slow mode once, it was pretty hilarious, actually.

And I've been trying to become better at playing the Doc. I still haven't mastered Short-Hopping, but I believe it's very helpful when playing someone with a really powerful Fair attack. I've been itching to try out some new characters, though. So far, it's mostly been me using Marth against computers for kicks and me using Doctor Mario for training purposes. And me playing random characters against my brother, who sucks at the game a lot more than I do.

Accountant
2007-08-13, 01:28 PM
...Sakurai said that not every character will be returning...

Wait, what?!?

When and where did that happen?

Dihan
2007-08-13, 04:04 PM
Wait, what?!?

When and where did that happen?

It was in a translation of what Sakurai said on the Japanese site before the Dojo came along...

Here's the translation of what Sakurai said. (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642)

TSGames
2007-08-16, 12:58 PM
Also, we can "look forward to" either Sonic or Megaman. I'd prefer the latter, but my money's on the former. By "look forward to" I clearly mean cringe in fear at what it yet to come.

Dihan
2007-08-18, 05:39 AM
I'd like to direct you to the final question in this interview (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200708/N07.0802.1741.54921.htm).

The one that mentions Sheik and Ganondorf.

Krytha
2007-08-18, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I took it to mean that Sheik and Gugalug are in, but I was shouted down on SWF.

Ronsian
2007-08-18, 02:22 PM
A friend and I used to have duels. You would walk towards the center, roll dodge (bow) to the other side, then run back. Count ten spaces, turn and fire. Only ranged allowed. Another fun one was gun battle. Only guns (the items). Ice Climber RULED at it :smallbiggrin: .

Querzis
2007-08-21, 04:58 PM
There is a new video on smash bros dojo, check it out. I wonder if that means Petey Piranha is a new character or just a boss? Anyway, this adventure mode look great!

kpenguin
2007-08-21, 05:05 PM
What I find interesting is that the Subspace Army is using Halberd, Metaknight's ship. It could mean that Metaknight is allied with them or they hijacked his ship.

I hope Petey Piranha isn't going to be a playable character. There are enough Mario characters and it would just be giving space on the roster to a character that shouldn't even be considered.

Dragor
2007-08-21, 05:31 PM
I very much doubt Petey Piranha is going to be a playable character. I think he's just going to be a recurring mini-boss. Fingers crossed.

K2
2007-08-21, 05:33 PM
I hate to say it, but I either play as young link or pikachu. Few things are better than hearing the guy next to you shout "oh ****, the rat!" right before they die

Jibar
2007-08-22, 04:26 AM
Playing as Pikachu always pisses people off.
It's a tiny electric rat. It's as if you were killed by a midget with a tazer.

Also:

He's finally back,
And it's about time too,
And this time,
He's in the mood,
He can fly real high with his jetpack on,
With his pistols out he's one cool Kong,
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune,
But Kremlins beware 'cos he's after you!
HUH!

kpenguin
2007-08-22, 04:29 AM
Diddy Kong? Looks like good fun.

Krytha
2007-08-22, 04:49 AM
Meh to the monkey. DK is, and always will be, where things are at. I was hoping for maybe a Diddy and Dixie ICs kinda combo, but I'll most certainly get used to this.

Petey Pirhana is almost certainly playable. He's playable in strikers as a [captain]? no less, so its like theyre pushing him to the top of the list at Nintendo for screen time (I wonder who decided to make the large plant thing that eats meat a recurring character?). Oh well, a bunch of people on SWF cried into their keyboards when they saw that video. I laughed though...

Dihan
2007-08-22, 05:09 AM
In the video: No one has mentioned ROB! :smallfrown:

Diddy Kong: Meh. Just "meh"...

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 02:28 AM
As a Yoshi fan, I must say that I am torn about Yoshi's final smash. On the one hand, it looks totally awesome and reasonably powerful. On the other hand, I can't remember any game where Yoshi has grown wings, although Yoshi has breathed fire before. I was expecting something Yoshi-esque. Maybe super-power egg or summoning a rainbow army of Yoshis or something.

tgva8889
2007-08-23, 03:37 AM
Well, I guess we can all safely say that Yoshi is a dragon...or a fire-breathing dinosaur with wings...or something really weird...ok, scratch that last comment.

Diddy Kong never really interested me.

Sorry for people who want it, but it's my opinion that we don't need even more Mario-related characters, even ones who have attained their own Nintendo fame. Wario started off as a Mario-series character and so did Donkey Kong. I might be mistaken, but I believe Yoshi was a member of the Mario-game crowd for quite a while as well. Not to mention Luigi, Bowser, and Peach making an appearance. (At least, I assume Luigi's making a repeat appearance, as he was in the last two and I don't see much reason for leaving him out.) And come on, there's still a lot of characters they could put in yet. Baby Bowser? Boo (who'll probably be some sort of Assist Trophy)? What about Birdo?

Petey Pirhana hasn't appeared enough, I don't think, to get preference over the large number of other characters who could take his place. He might make a Master Hand-esque appearance, though.

Krytha
2007-08-23, 05:59 AM
Technically, Mario was in Donkey Kong.

Jibar
2007-08-23, 06:03 AM
Argh, I swear to God, Yoshi have had wings before, I just don't remember when... poooop.

I guess I'm the only one excited about Diddy then? I love the Kong series, and it could do with some much needed love in Smash Bros. And giving Diddy his Peanut Pistols and Barrel Jetpack is a cry back to Donkey Kong 64, one of the best Kong games ever.

Also: Uh, did we just get two updates today?

Dragor
2007-08-23, 06:08 AM
Yoshi's had wings in Super Mario World.

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 06:51 AM
Also: Uh, did we just get two updates today?

Yeah, we did.

Yoshi's had wings in Super Mario World.

Alright then. However, the idea that he's a dragon bothers me. Yoshi is dinosaur, dammnit.

Dragor
2007-08-23, 07:16 AM
Yep, I agree. He's definately not a dragon. He doesn't look like one, is too friendly to be one, and there's no other dragons to draw comparisons with in the Mushroom Kingdom, so one can only assume he's a dinosaur.

Diddy Kong..... well, I prefer just Donkey Kong as a whole. After Donkey, the rest of the family gets kind of ridiculous (except Funky. And Cranky. They were both funny).

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 11:38 PM
Yep, I agree. He's definately not a dragon. He doesn't look like one, is too friendly to be one, and there's no other dragons to draw comparisons with in the Mushroom Kingdom, so one can only assume he's a dinosaur.

Diddy Kong..... well, I prefer just Donkey Kong as a whole. After Donkey, the rest of the family gets kind of ridiculous (except Funky. And Cranky. They were both funny).

There was a dragon in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, but the only similarity to Yoshi can be attributed to them both being big lizards. It's already been established that Yoshi is a dinosaur.

EDIT: It looks like we have an answer on whether or not Petey Piranha is going to be a playable character in SSBB.

Lizardfolk Lich
2007-08-24, 11:47 PM
Actually, in the Mario Bros. Movie (yes, there was a movie!) Yoshi was seen hatching from an egg next to the princess, and was not only friendly but also appeared to be a velociraptor. So he is in fact a dinosaur!:smalltongue:

kpenguin
2007-08-24, 11:50 PM
Actually, in the Mario Bros. Movie (yes, there was a movie!) Yoshi was seen hatching from an egg next to the princess, and was not only friendly but also appeared to be a velociraptor. So he is in fact a dinosaur!:smalltongue:

NO! Never again speak of the Mario Bros. Movie. That travesty never existed.

*plugs fingers in ears* LALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALA!

TheOtherMC
2007-08-24, 11:58 PM
NO! Never again speak of the Mario Bros. Movie. That travesty never existed.

*plugs fingers in ears* LALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALA!

GOOMBA DANCING!!!!!!

TSGames
2007-08-25, 01:14 AM
Diddy Kong: Meh. Just "meh"...

Seconded!...but with violence.

tgva8889
2007-08-25, 02:56 AM
I think Yoshi is a Yoshi. It seems to be a unique species to the Mario (and Yoshi) universe. Whether Yoshi is supposed to be a dinosaur-like creature or more of a dragon-esque creature, we may never know. But he's definitely a Yoshi.

I guess Diddy Kong is cool. And not particularly unexpected, with the new Diddy Kong racing game they made for the DS. I guess they want to make Diddy Kong a much cooler character. Whatever. As long as he's not a Donkey Kong clone (a la Pichu and Dr. Mario), then I'll be happy with him.

Actually, as long as they never get the bright idea to add 6 more secret characters to their game by taking existing characters and modifying them slightly, I'll be happy.

Ha, called it. Master Hand-esque appearance. Although, this whole Subspace thing makes me wonder: What happened to good ol' Master Hand?

kpenguin
2007-08-25, 03:35 AM
Ha, called it. Master Hand-esque appearance. Although, this whole Subspace thing makes me wonder: What happened to good ol' Master Hand?

Based on his previous appearances, Master Hand controls the Super Smash world. He'll probably oppose the Subspace Army. Perhaps you'll need to free Master Hand or something similar to that over the course of the game.

Gijs
2007-08-25, 10:53 AM
it is a fact, mario kicks @$$

Collin152
2007-08-25, 02:53 PM
Where's the love for Mewtwo? Mewtwo is teh roxorz!

Hermit
2007-08-25, 03:09 PM
I still say Brawl needs at least one character from Golden Sun in it, prefferably Issac. It'll never happen, since Nintendo have forgotten this series ever existed, but Psynergy powers are practically crying out for use in this game. And the Final Smash would be Judgement.

And while I'm in dreamland Issac can be wielding the Wheat Sword too.

I'll also concur with the above. Needs some Mewtwo.

TSGames
2007-08-25, 06:50 PM
I still say Brawl needs at least one character from Golden Sun in it, prefferably Issac. It'll never happen, since Nintendo have forgotten this series ever existed, but Psynergy powers are practically crying out for use in this game. And the Final Smash would be Judgement.

And while I'm in dreamland Issac can be wielding the Wheat Sword too.

I'll also concur with the above. Needs some Mewtwo.

Yes! I hadn't thought about that, but the idea intrigues me... I loved the Golden Sun games(I wonder if there will be a third...), and Isaac would be a perfect candidate. Man though... that game was teh pwnzors.

kpenguin
2007-08-27, 01:59 AM
Has anyone listened to the music they've remixed for Brawl. Taking great compositions and making them awesome.

tgva8889
2007-08-27, 02:20 AM
I actually spent a day listening to all the music. Brawl's going to be a blast to play once you've unlocked the Sound Test, that's all I've got to say.

Mewtwo would be interesting. I would have been much happier to see Deoxys than Mewtwo, though. Mewtwo's cool, but Deoxys would have been awesome. Transforming forms? Awesome!

However, what can they do with Mewtwo? Knowing what I do about Mewtwo, all I've got for his Final Smash is Super Mewtwo, where he dons the Metal Mewtwo armor for a few moments and becomes awesome, then ceases to do so after a few moments. Besides that, I can't think of anything else cool for Mewtwo to do.

Or, perhaps Master Hand will be involved with the Subspace Army, perhaps controlling them in the background, helping them with their plot, and in the end, for classic battles, you must fight Master Hand! But yes, your idea works as well. I just want to see Master Hand again. He's just so awesome.

Lyesmith
2007-08-27, 06:06 AM
I am a roy / marth specialist. i love the fire emblem series, and am somewhat of a whizz at them.
i look forward to killing Diddy Kong.
Repeatedly.
With Ike.
How i hate that little chimp.
Pitt also looks to be my sort of character.

Jibar
2007-08-27, 07:15 AM
I don't understand, why is nobody else happy with Diddy Kong?
It's an additional character from one of their best franchises, and it's a far better choice than going crawling through NES games (I'm looking at you Pit and Ice Climbers.)

Neragith
2007-08-27, 07:27 AM
pfft Diddy Kong is a wannabe.
I think there doing just grat at the moment :smallsmile:

Albub
2007-08-27, 09:25 AM
I don't think Yoshi's final smash means he's a dragon, but in older mario games (super nintendo ere) Yoshi'd suck up shells and get different abilities from them, such as breathing fire, and flight. His final smash is just combining some of these wonderful powers. I can't explain with words the joy you feel when your Yoshi had wings in Super Mario World, and that they're bringing that back makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

TSGames
2007-08-27, 09:49 AM
I just saw the new item and it reminded me of a scene from the movie "Bubble Boy." The Indian guy is driving his ice cream truck and young kids are running after him yelling, "Ice Cream! Ice Cream!" and then you see several Indian children running after him yelling "Curry! Curry!"

Anyway, the new item made me laugh and it looks useful.

Jibar
2007-08-28, 01:30 AM
Just thought I'd link to this, (http://www.duelinganalogs.com/) because not only is it a sign of something we should be able to with Pokemon Trainer, but I also thought it was just plain adorable.

kpenguin
2007-08-28, 03:26 AM
Two updates today! The first one was Andross, but he's an assist trophy so nobody really cares. The second reveals that special attacks will be performed the same way they were in melee as well as all of Metaknight's specials, though not precisely what they do.

TSGames
2007-08-28, 11:37 AM
I love Meta Knight.

And now we get a look at the Pokemon trainer. He looks versatile. This could be interesting.

Jibar
2007-08-29, 12:16 PM
Something I was just thinking about. What happens when part of the world falls down, like those moving platforms, or on the Castle Seige level, and the Pokemon Trainer is on there? Do they fall down, does just the Pokemon, and then they meet up at the bottom? When the Pokemon jumps on the moving levels, does the Trainer as well?
It was that shot of the Trainer on Bridge of Eldin. I was wondering what happens if the bridge section gets blown up, and Trainer is stuck there.
The Trainer raises so many questions.

TSGames
2007-08-29, 01:05 PM
Something I was just thinking about. What happens when part of the world falls down, like those moving platforms, or on the Castle Seige level, and the Pokemon Trainer is on there? Do they fall down, does just the Pokemon, and then they meet up at the bottom? When the Pokemon jumps on the moving levels, does the Trainer as well?
It was that shot of the Trainer on Bridge of Eldin. I was wondering what happens if the bridge section gets blown up, and Trainer is stuck there.
The Trainer raises so many questions.

Maybe the trainer can fly?

kpenguin
2007-08-30, 09:36 PM
Maybe the trainer can fly?

I think he gets a floating platform.

This glide feature is interesting. It seems very similar to Peach's float in SSBM, but far more maneuverable and probably faster. I wonder how effective it'll be in practice, though.

Da Beast
2007-08-31, 01:04 AM
What's with all the hate for Diddy? I've been hoping for him for a long time.

I love this series and play Smash way too much. I'm pretty good with all the characters and my friends usually refuse to play me any more because they always lose. I'd try playing in tournaments, but there aren't any here in Minnesota.

tannish2
2007-08-31, 01:35 AM
ya, cant find people to play me here either... only person who will is my dad... and he sucks.... and i never do money+games (in game money, but i would only bet it on a minigame), because then even more people throw away sportsmanship, and thats not good, and i dont see why diddy kong hate, it doesnt look like he will be a donkey kong clone. you know, this should really be split into 2 threads

Maryring
2007-08-31, 02:16 AM
I love how all the new stages have something very intense to make them interesting. Have you seen the new Wario Ware stage? It's like a whole new game in the game itself. :smallamused:

Jibar
2007-08-31, 02:26 AM
I like it. In Melee, many of the stages only had the smaller things that made it unique. Now, with almost every stage having something to set it apart, the gameplay gets even more frantic, which will make playing with friends even better.

Also: Why is there nothing on Kirby? Seriously. One of the first four characters announced, and... nothing. No special moves, no final smash. He's just fallen off the news.

Hermit
2007-08-31, 03:43 AM
I like it. In Melee, many of the stages only had the smaller things that made it unique. Now, with almost every stage having something to set it apart, the gameplay gets even more frantic, which will make playing with friends even better.

Also: Why is there nothing on Kirby? Seriously. One of the first four characters announced, and... nothing. No special moves, no final smash. He's just fallen off the news.

Maybe they don't really see the point if he's fairly similar to how he was in SSBM. As for his final Smash, I'd put money on it being the Microphone from various Kirby games (Kill all enemies on screen with terrible singing) :p

Dihan
2007-08-31, 06:23 AM
I, on the other hand, say that his final smash is the one where he dons a chef hat and boils his opponents, as seen in the trailer.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-31, 11:13 AM
I, on the other hand, say that his final smash is the one where he dons a chef hat and boils his opponents, as seen in the trailer.

How dare you insert logic into our blind speculation! :smallbiggrin:

Hermit
2007-08-31, 11:22 AM

Meh, cmoing up with random ideas is far more entertaining :p

Today's thought: Fawful needs to turn up working for the Subspace Emmisary at some point.

Also, that Warioware stage looks highly entertaining

MethodicalMeat
2007-08-31, 11:52 AM
I don't care if he is just a Cpt. Falcon clone, I want to see Gannondorf again, perhaps with some new special moves, like that sword he sometimes swung around in his victory pose. Any other 'Dorf fans out there?

Hermit
2007-08-31, 12:21 PM
I don't care if he is just a Cpt. Falcon clone, I want to see Gannondorf again, perhaps with some new special moves, like that sword he sometimes swung around in his victory pose. Any other 'Dorf fans out there?

I like him purely because he looks cooler than Captain Falcon. But if he made a reappearance then it should be Wind Waker Ganondorf all the way. That end boss fight is the most epic one from any Zelda game, basically, and his sword skills are just pure win.

tannish2
2007-08-31, 12:32 PM
well... i think they should bring all characters back and just originalize (yes new word deal with it) the clones, but thats just me.
my favorite stages have been the ones with almost nothing happening, the N64 zelda and donkey kong ones, the gamecube zelda one (and also big blue, but that was because it was the only one i could ever lose on and it made the game a little more fast paced with less edge gaurding)

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-08-31, 12:44 PM
I'd love to see Ganondorf again too, as long as he gets his own moves. I haven't actually played all the way through Wind Waker yet, so I can't comment on that bossfight, but I've heard before that it's great. Maybe they should combine moves from Wind Waker, and the look from Twilight Princess. (Since that seems to be the visual theme for Zelda characters.)

Drascin
2007-08-31, 02:00 PM
I like him purely because he looks cooler than Captain Falcon. But if he made a reappearance then it should be Wind Waker Ganondorf all the way. That end boss fight is the most epic one from any Zelda game, basically, and his sword skills are just pure win.

The problem is that he's most likely going to be Twilight Princess's "zweihander swordsman", not Wind Waker's "Gerudo Fighter". A shame, really. I happen to think WW Ganon was very cool, while TP Ganon was kind of an unneeded add-on to the game :smalltongue:

Dihan
2007-08-31, 03:36 PM
I'm disappointed in the stage design at the moment. They're all flat with one to three platforms floating above the main stage... I want stages like Hyrule Temple from SSBM!

Hermit
2007-08-31, 04:01 PM
The problem is that he's most likely going to be Twilight Princess's "zweihander swordsman", not Wind Waker's "Gerudo Fighter". A shame, really. I happen to think WW Ganon was very cool, while TP Ganon was kind of an unneeded add-on to the game :smalltongue:

Yeah. Ganon in TP to me always felt like a late addition for some reason. Its like someone went "There's so little plot here, lets add in a 'It was Ganon all along' plottwist".

The fights themselves were pretty cool, but they just didn't quite feel like they belonged there. Zant was a more entertaining end boss.

Dragor
2007-08-31, 04:09 PM
I'm disappointed in the stage design at the moment. They're all flat with one to three platforms floating above the main stage... I want stages like Hyrule Temple from SSBM!

True. It's a bit annoying.... Hyrule Temple and Corneria were practically the only stages we played, never got boring. Now they all look like the Battlefield stage with different backgrounds. Hope this gets better.

Griemont
2007-08-31, 05:59 PM
Wow...I haven't played SSBM in a long while (well, I played it a few days ago after a few years of not playing it, but not for very long; does that count? :smallconfused:) but I play SSB on my N64 emulator all the time; in fact I'm gonna take a break from typing this for a little 1v3 on whatever Link's level is; as Link of course :smallbiggrin:

Ah, I lost track of whatever I was talking about before :smallfrown: Ike looks cool. Although his Up-B is exactly the same as Kirby's from SSB, but without the problem of trying to attack someone below a platform and landing on top of the platform, or the shockwave projectile that the CP characters always spammed :smallsigh:

kpenguin
2007-09-03, 05:45 AM
Judging from the latest update, I think there may be unique storylines for individual characters for Adventure Mode. Here's hoping, anyway.

Dihan
2007-09-03, 06:13 AM
Pit is my favourite so far. :smallbiggrin:

If only they'd add Phoenix Wright...

Ronsian
2007-09-03, 08:03 AM
I hope they give some old characters some attention. Bowser, Peach, and Yoshi spring to mind as the weak ones (that have been announced). Bowser was way too slow, and his specials did almost nothing. Peach... she had a toad in her dress, and was very weak. Yoshi, he sounded good with really powerful aerial hits to ground (one of best ways of doing damage on homerun training). He didn't quite do so well. I also hope they completely get rid of the clones, they could bring them back with new skills, but they added almost nothing. Gannondorf was weak and slow, Young Link was the same except for a wimpier up-B, Dr. Mario's pills did +1 more damage or something, still worthless. Roy, some people liked him, I never found time in a match to explode though. Falco and Pichu were the only ones to add anything, Falco with his different blaster (stopped charged up attacks), and Pichu who became incredibly powerful at the cost of hit-points.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think they have to say anything about Kirby. He has the same specials it seems, Hammer, Up-B, Sucking (hehe, punny), and I dunno about the rock.

Krytha
2007-09-03, 08:32 AM
I hope they give some old characters some attention. Bowser, Peach, and Yoshi spring to mind as the weak ones (that have been announced). Bowser was way too slow, and his specials did almost nothing. Peach... she had a toad in her dress, and was very weak. Yoshi, he sounded good with really powerful aerial hits to ground (one of best ways of doing damage on homerun training). He didn't quite do so well. I also hope they completely get rid of the clones, they could bring them back with new skills, but they added almost nothing. Gannondorf was weak and slow, Young Link was the same except for a wimpier up-B, Dr. Mario's pills did +1 more damage or something, still worthless. Roy, some people liked him, I never found time in a match to explode though. Falco and Pichu were the only ones to add anything, Falco with his different blaster (stopped charged up attacks), and Pichu who became incredibly powerful at the cost of hit-points.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think they have to say anything about Kirby. He has the same specials it seems, Hammer, Up-B, Sucking (hehe, punny), and I dunno about the rock.

I'm tired, but someone else will come along to fix all this soon...

tannish2
2007-09-03, 01:19 PM
yes, they should keep the clones and just give them new **** to make them cool un-clones, i dont see why falco cant be fox's luigi, or why gannon cant get his own set of attacks (after all, hes been the BBEG in like 5000 games, the only problem they should have there is picking which attacks to use)

tgva8889
2007-09-03, 01:38 PM
The clones are unnecessary, in my opinion. There're interesting, but you could have just make the original character better and it would have been the same. And really, how many people really played Pichu? He's useless. And Mario, I believe was strictly worse than Dr. Mario. Falco was pretty much Fox from the original SSB, Roy was, in my opinion, completely unnecessary. Ganondorf actually was important, though. And Young Link seems like he was rather unnecessary. However cool Link is, I don't think we need that many ways to get our Link fix.

Now, if they remade the characters to be their own character, then that would be awesome. I like Ganon too, but I don't think they needed to make him "Captain Falcon except, you know, cooler".

Jibar
2007-09-03, 01:45 PM
And really, how many people really played Pichu? He's useless.

*gasp*

Senor, Pichu is a high powered, smaller Pikachu.
You may think he's far too easy to smash, but I tell you if you're getting smashed you are not playing Pichu right.
He's small, and fast, and can move just quick enough to avoid damage completely most the time. Add to that that his thunder is more powerful than Pikachu's, and only hurts you if it hits you, Pichu is effectively a mobile weapons fortress.

Besides all that, there's nothing greater than the look on your friend's face when he gets beaten by a tiny electric rat.
:biggrin:

Dihan
2007-09-03, 02:06 PM
There's nothing like playing as Pichu in a Lightning melee.

tgva8889
2007-09-03, 02:31 PM
I used to play Pichu, actually. It was really funny. Granted, I'll admit that I suck at SSBM compared to most people, but really, is everyone going to be the best player in the game?

Though I still like Pichu a lot, he's not really a necessary character in the series. If they just made Pikachu more powerful (which makes more sense anyways), then Pichu would basically be the same except perhaps faster and weaker.

I mean, I think Falco does have some purpose because playing Falco and Fox is completely different. Playing Pichu and Pikachu isn't really a change in strategy - you still want to do pretty much the same things, and it's mostly true for the Links as well (and for Marth and Roy, while I'm at it). I'm not sure about Ganondorf and Captain Falcon, but I imagine they're different play experiences, as Ganon is much slower and less prone to accidentally killing himself than Falcon (which I've done on occasion, I admit). And who really plays Mario? I've found Dr. Mario is pretty much better in all the important ways for most gameplay. Besides the fact that there's already Luigi, who's yet another take on Mario, although Luigi does have entirely different attacks. If they made more clones like Luigi, that would be much more acceptable.

Which makes me think about how awesome Deoxys would be. Randomly chosen form, so he's either fast and weak, a super-heavy hitter, or a heavy character sorta like Bowser who doesn't do a ton of damage. Or, of course, a balanced character. That would be awesome. It's like 4 completely different characters in one. Darn you, Nintendo, why didn't you make Deoxys the Mewtwo replacement? That would have been awesome.

Querzis
2007-09-03, 04:22 PM

Bowser was the greatest 4-way character. He was the heaviest, the strongest and had the best defense and, since my tactic was always to let the others come at me, the fact that he was slow sure never bothered me. Bowser was freaking strong. I also saw lots of people do really good with Yoshi...Peach is kinda weak yeah but shes Peach! What did you expected?

Anyway, we already know there wont be any clone. If Ganondorf or Falco come back they will have completely different move (I never got how ganondorf move in melee were supposed to match him anyway, hes a magician and a swordman. Where was his sword or his magic???)

tgva8889
2007-09-03, 04:46 PM
(I never got how ganondorf move in melee were supposed to match him anyway, hes a magician and a swordman. Where was his sword or his magic???)

Well, the sword is missing, but all his attacks have magical-type names. I think he's got Warlock Punch instead of Falcon Punch, and I think his Down-B is called Warlock Kick. The dark energy surrounding his attacks is supposed to be "dark magic". Not that it isn't stupid, of course.

And don't hate Peach. My friend plays as Peach, and he is probably the best player in our group. Which isn't that bad, when you consider what types of characters we play. My friends all rule at SSBM compared to me.

North
2007-09-03, 04:56 PM
If only Sonic could be in the game

LordVader
2007-09-03, 06:38 PM
Meh. I can live without that little blue freak in Smash.:smalltongue:

And I really don't see how Peach can be good. But the Toad shield is extremely funny.:smallamused:

Krytha
2007-09-03, 06:56 PM
Everyone who thinks Peach isn't good just hasn't seen her played well. Youtube has all the answers you seek.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-09-03, 07:50 PM
Everyone who thinks Peach isn't good just hasn't seen her played well. Youtube has all the answers you seek.

One word:

Evasion.

Krytha
2007-09-03, 08:19 PM
One word:

Evasion.

....um... sure...?

TSGames
2007-09-04, 12:13 AM
I love Pit even more now, I just wish the music for his scene had not been so bad.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-09-04, 01:39 AM
....um... sure...?

Float? :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2007-09-04, 01:42 AM
I love Pit even more now, I just wish the music for his scene had not been so bad.

I dunno. The vocals at the beginning were pretty cool. It's just the ending that sucked.

Drascin
2007-09-04, 03:55 AM
And I really don't see how Peach can be good. But the Toad shield is extremely funny.:smallamused:

You seem to underestimate dear Lady Downsmash. How very... unwise :smallamused:

kpenguin
2007-09-04, 04:57 AM
Is it just me or do Diddy Kong's attacks seem a bit... cumbersome?