PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Melee monster Sorcadin

cZak
2016-09-20, 05:32 PM
I think I'm doing ok...
But never shouldn't hurt to get some constructive criticism.

Playing a 1/2 Elf Paladin (OoTA) 7/ Sorcerer (Wild) 7.
S&B with Defense style. Warcaster & ASI to Charisma.
Quickened & Twin metamagic.

Other players are:
Fighter (Champ) 7/ Fiend Bladelock 7; absolutely vicious melee wrecking machine
Druid 7/ Barb 7; kinda all over the place, jack of all trades
Bard 7/ Cleric 7; superior buff & crowd controller

Generally, I'm using my sorcerer abilities to improve my combat abilities; Shield, Mirror image, Haste, Greater Invis, etc...
I have some blasts; Fire & Frost ray, GFB, Burning hands, Melf's meteors
I'm drooling over the opportunity to twin Greater invis or Haste on my fellow PC's...

Paladin spells are mostly for buff; cure, prot f good/evil, Shield of faith, aid, prot f poison
or debuff; I like the smite spells for the RP effect. A proper timed Wrathful strike is great for morale...

Any thoughts on development?
I'll be get'n an ASI/ feat next level. I'm comfortable with my stats. But the only feat I'm interested in is maybe Lucky

Specter
2016-09-20, 05:40 PM
Looks like you're on the right track.

If you don't see much more benefit to progress in these classes, a 2-lvl fighter dip is massive for Action Surge; you can cast a buff and attack at the same turn.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-20, 05:44 PM
First of all, ASIs are really strong. Like straight math bonuses. You and your whole team need to start giving level 8 some serious love.

With haste and smites, your melee abilities will probably be the most damage you could deal. Be sure to quicken BB/GFB for a third attack.

Seems like you are the party's "wizard" though so I'd consider using your concentration on some powerful battlefield control. I picked up wall of fire on my paladorc, and used it to seperate groups of baddies and deal good damage.

Once you get 5th level spells, I'd recommend Hold Monster. If a foe fails its save against your quickened Hold, they are dead as can be, taking 2 attacks with max smites critting and doubling all those d8s.

Corran
2016-09-20, 06:18 PM
Paladin(ancients)/sorcerer(wild mage) is a good combination, well done!!!
I would suggest carrying on with the sorcerer for higher level spells and more sorcery points, for a final build of paladin7/ sorcerer13. Paladin 9 is often appealing for the 3rd level paladin spells (some great options there), but I would think that your party would have most of them covered already (meaning the bard/cleric mainly).
Perhaps 2 warlock levels could be of some use (stronger ranged attack, AoA which is great for melee gishes with high level spell slots, a couple of invocations, and some extra spell slots per short rest, most likely used for more castings of shied per day). Though you would pay the price of delaying your sorcerer spell progression and eventually you wouldnt get 6th level sorc spells (also, less sp).

ps: I am assuming you have gone S&B and you have taken warcaster already? Also, dont discount on blur or protection from evil (have it always prepared from paladin), when applicable. Not as good as greater invisibility surely, but they are cheaper and they can work wonders with a high AC and with the shield spell in reserve. Also, I am assuming that you aim for a charisma of 20 eventualy, right?

cZak
2016-09-20, 07:52 PM
Edited original post per queries...

PeteNutButter
2016-09-21, 09:41 AM
Any thoughts on development?
I'll be get'n an ASI/ feat next level. I'm comfortable with my stats. But the only feat I'm interested in is maybe Lucky

Sentinel is a fantastic feat for a tanky front-liner, assuming no one else has it already in your party. It is both powerful and fun to lock down foes. If you have any odd stats, pick up a half feat. Normally I'd recommend resilient for various stats, but with your defensive auras, those become significantly less needed.

I know you said you're comfortable with them, but I have to mention from an optimization stand point bringing your key stat(s) to 20 is probably more valuable than most feats.