PDA

View Full Version : Genasi review: what do you think they're best for?

Specter
2016-09-20, 10:46 PM
So, I've always enjoyed the Genasi, and in 5e they feel better than ever. I've been thinking of the best way to use each subrace, especially for NPCs in an upcoming adventure.+2 CON suits anybody well.

Air: These seem perfect for fighters, rangers and rogues, or anybody that prefers to do their dirty work with ranged weapons. I say 'weapons' because they get DEX and most casters have better stuff to concentrate than Levitate. The infinite breath seems very situational to the point it's mostly favor.

Earth: Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins and melee Rangers, I'm guessing. It's a shame that for the classes they suit best, Pass Without Trace won't be optimal, but it can offset the penalties from heavy armor so they can at least try ambushes (and help the entire party).

Fire: This one seems better generally better than all others, because of darkvision and the resistance to the most common elemental damage. INT makes these adequate for Wizzes, EK's and AT's. The evocation seems lame, but Produce Flame gives a good ranged attack to those who dumped DEX, and Burning Hands is kinda like a Dragonborn's breath.

Water: can't help but feel these drew the short straw. Acid resistance isn't too common, and the water spells seldom help. But being amphibious and swimming opens up new ways of exploring and ambushing. Seems good for clerics (Tempest for coolness), druids, monks and rangers (aquatic beastmaster for fun).

Any other tactics each race brings to specific builds? Anything I'm missing?

SharkForce
2016-09-20, 11:47 PM
i think you're overstating the importance of attribute mods.

+2 con +1 dex means the air genasi can be perfectly fine at pretty much everything. unending breath protects against gases and means you can breathe underwater just as effectively as a water genasi. no, they don't have a bonus to a casting attribute. but most casters want both dexterity and constitution as secondary stats, meaning that a genasi won't start with a 16, but can still have perfectly fine attributes for any dex-based class (and it seems you can go dex-based for pretty much any class, though certainly some work better dex-based than others).

+1 strength on an earth genasi is hardly a game-changer either. yeah, it makes them slightly more suited for strength-based builds, but there's no reason you can't just use that to mitigate a dump stat too. again, +2 constitution is useful for *any* class, and pass without trace is such a ludicrously good spell that it does quite a bit to compensate for less than perfect attributes. the ability to kite over earth or stone when it's difficult terrain also helps quite a bit even for ranged attackers and casters (who enjoy keeping their distance from enemies quite a bit).

for fire genasi, resistance to fire damage and dark vision are the real stars. you don't need to make use of the +1 intelligence for the race to be great; by the time your maxed out attributes are making the kind of difference you will see shift things in your favour dramatically (which is mostly DC based rather than attack roll based), it shouldn't matter whether you started at 15 or 16 in your primary attribute.

acid resistance is less commonly needed perhaps, but wisdom is pretty universally needed. it's recommended for pretty near everyone; it's the attribute you use to resist a lot of debilitating magic, it gives you more awareness of your environment and other people, and while it is perhaps only a primary attribute for a few classes, i don't think there is a single class where i'd propose it as a dump stat. the ability to create water can be situationally useful. but yeah, probably they're a bit harder to fit in unless you know there will be lots of water you can make use of, since those are the really interesting abilities.

but really, i think you're putting too much significance into the attributes (again, by the time they really matter, you could max your main attribute either way). the main things to look at, in my opinion, are the interesting abilities you gain that no amount of levels will replace. certainly, an earth genasi is a bit more suited to be strength based than any other attribute (there being no con-based builds that i'm aware of), but it's not like that +1 strength makes them suited to be strength-based warriors and nothing else.

AttilatheYeon
2016-09-21, 12:53 AM
We had a Water Genasi Cleric in our Curse of Strahd campaign who put the hurt on vampires. He used the Create Water racial to really good effect.

Seruvius
2016-09-21, 07:03 AM
A while ago i ran a fun water genasi enemy mini dungeon: a water themed monk temple, all the acolytes being water genasi. There were a mix of open hand and shadow monks, and it turned things like simply having any water or dark area near the pc's into constant vigilance. Sure a torch can banish the darkness in the room, but with shape water can change the opacity of water, so unless you submerge your lightsource any pool of appreicable depth can still have some lovely shadow on the bottom of it :smallsmile: Just a thought to maybe help you with your water genasi, alongside the already mentioned cleric.

Corran
2016-09-21, 07:46 AM
This is perhaps a bit more technical than what you are asking for, but I quite like the earth genasi on a strogue with a fighter dip, due to how you can use pass without a trace to make up for the disadvantage due to heavy armor, so that you can be stealthy enough for that 1 time per day that it matters. So with that race you can combine at least to some effect the benefits of a solid AC and an occasional good stealth.

Specter
2016-09-21, 07:48 AM
i think you're overstating the importance of attribute mods.

I don't think so. I only mentioned Fire as "best" because they seem to get more stuff.

As for the rest, okay, but what would these racial benefits be good for? Because if we're not investing in good stats, then it has to be really worth it.

Naanomi
2016-09-21, 07:52 AM
You also need a lightfoot halfling to be 'heart'

Oramac
2016-09-21, 08:51 AM
Earth: Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins and melee Rangers, I'm guessing. It's a shame that for the classes they suit best, Pass Without Trace won't be optimal, but it can offset the penalties from heavy armor so they can at least try ambushes (and help the entire party).

I have an Earth Genasi Vengeance Paladin I've played a few times. It's quite good, and fun. Pass Without Trace is surprisingly useful to offset the crappy Stealth skill and heavy armor disadvantage.

The only thing I don't like is that Earth Genasi don't have Darkvision. They spend all their time under freaking ground, for crying out loud! How can they not see in the dark?!

JumboWheat01
2016-09-21, 08:59 AM
The only thing I don't like is that Earth Genasi don't have Darkvision. They spend all their time under freaking ground, for crying out loud! How can they not see in the dark?!

Senses are one of those weird things this edition. I mean, with all the varying sense abilities that dragons have, why don't the Dragonborn have darkvision? That's just weird.

I always liked the Genasi just on thematics alone, but the fact that you pretty much get custom-made ones for whatever offense you need while still getting that tasty CON boost is quite nice. My favorite has always been a Water Genasi Coastal Land Druid, so much thematic overlay.

Corran
2016-09-21, 09:13 AM
There was a build I had seen some time ago (I think it was Morbo's). Air genasi grappler with some sort of spellcasting (I recall stinking cloud). It combined the unlimited breath thingy with a good grapple and with casting stinking cloud.

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 09:45 AM
I have never played a Genasi before but this is making me want to play one really bad. Ugh its mostlly the fluff that I find so interesting to me!

JumboWheat01
2016-09-21, 09:49 AM
I have never played a Genasi before but this is making me want to play one really bad. Ugh its mostlly the fluff that I find so interesting to me!

Do it! Come to the Elemental Side. We have great parties.

Oramac
2016-09-21, 09:59 AM
Do it! Come to the Elemental Side. We have great parties.

The Fire Genasi make some great Fireball Whiskey. :D

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 10:26 AM
Well I was thinking of playing lore bard so what would you recommend? Earth Air Fire or Water?

Oramac
2016-09-21, 10:34 AM
Well I was thinking of playing lore bard so what would you recommend? Earth Air Fire or Water?

Fluff-wise, I'd say Air or Water. I'm AFB right now, and I can't remember which one (if any) gets a Charisma bonus. If one does, that's the one to take for Bard, mechanically speaking.

JumboWheat01
2016-09-21, 10:34 AM

Air mostly. The Dexterity bonus is most useful to the class, and the ability to levitate lets you get above the crowd for a great solo with your instrument.

Just make sure you get a woodwind instrument. :smallwink:

Fluff-wise, I'd say Air or Water. I'm AFB right now, and I can't remember which one (if any) gets a Charisma bonus. If one does, that's the one to take for Bard, mechanically speaking.

Charisma is the ONE stat you don't find on a Genasi. Air - Dex, Earth - Str, Fire - Int, Water - Wis, All - Con.

mgshamster
2016-09-21, 11:00 AM

Definitely not water. They ain't funky enough for Earth, Wind & Fire.

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 11:03 AM
Air mostly. The Dexterity bonus is most useful to the class, and the ability to levitate lets you get above the crowd for a great solo with your instrument.

Just make sure you get a woodwind instrument. :smallwink:

Charisma is the ONE stat you don't find on a Genasi. Air - Dex, Earth - Str, Fire - Int, Water - Wis, All - Con.

That would be kind of cool actually. I was thinking it would be fun to be a bard with the priest back ground. I could levitate above a crowd and give a sermon. then rock out on my..... bagpipes?

Oramac
2016-09-21, 11:04 AM

I see what you did there! :D

Well played, sir.

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 11:07 AM

Bad Dum Ching

Oramac
2016-09-21, 11:11 AM
then rock out on my..... bagpipes?

I was gonna say an Oboe, but bagpipes would be way better!

Specter
2016-09-21, 12:22 PM

Any, actually. Since you're not doing it for the CHA, do it for the abilities/fluff.
Air = Avoiding melee, performing on air, being better at ranged combat
Earth = Master of Stealth (Expertise+Pass Without Trace)
Fire = Bonus evocation, better cantrip damage, darkvision, resisting fire
Water = Bonus survivability, swim speed, acid resistance

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH the psychic damage...

Naanomi
2016-09-21, 12:52 PM
They make an almost perfect 'iconic party'...

Earth Champion/Fighter
Fire Evoker/Wizard
Air Thief/Rogue
Water Life/Cleric

Ability to combine powers to summon an avatar of a nature Goddess optional

Specter
2016-09-21, 01:11 PM

Earth Champion/Fighter
Fire Evoker/Wizard
Air Thief/Rogue
Water Life/Cleric

This. The Genasi Death Squad I've been planning consists of:

Barbarian (bear) - Earth Genasi
Rogue (arcane trickster) - Fire Genasi
Fighter (battlemaster archer) - Air Genasi
Druid (coast) - Water Genasi

mgshamster
2016-09-21, 01:24 PM
Water genasi and a glass armonica. I really don't see how you could pick any other race when this option is available.

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 01:39 PM
Oh god I love the captain planet jokes! Now that I think about it an Aasimar favored soul could be heart!

MintyNinja
2016-09-21, 01:39 PM
I've played a Water Genasi Tempest Cleric who was a former sailor. It was a lot of fun and a great build, just the other characters sucked -_-
Everyone simply referred to me as Fish or Fish-face. Every time they did that I threatened to drown them, though. Maybe it was just a toxic group.

Naanomi
2016-09-21, 01:47 PM
Don't forget you keep most racial abilities when wild-shaped... as we found out to great effect at our table recently

Goblin; 'hey uh... can rhinos swim and breath underwater?'
Goblin2: 'no, don't be stupid'
Goblin: 'oh ok, must have been nothing'

water-gensai moondruid 'I charge from the lake'

DizzyWood
2016-09-21, 01:55 PM
Don't forget you keep most racial abilities when wild-shaped... as we found out to great effect at our table recently

Goblin; 'hey uh... can rhinos swim and breath underwater?'
Goblin2: 'no, don't be stupid'
Goblin: 'oh ok, must have been nothing'

water-gensai moondruid 'I charge from the lake'

Bahahaha that is great use of the mechanics. Like seriously I would have never thought of that.

Maxilian
2016-09-21, 02:29 PM
Have in mind that with Fire Genasi is the only way you will get an attack with its hit based on CON (sadly you can't add any MOD unless you go Dragon Sorcerer or Undying Light Warlock)

Also Air Genasi got a really big plus as druids...

They don't need to breath, so they can basically go into an aquatic form in land without problem (eternally an Octopus)

DireSickFish
2016-09-22, 09:51 AM
I consider Water Genasi to get the strongest benefits. They get swim speed, resistance, and useful spells. Swim speed can be really strong, even if it's not a nautical themed adventure. Water is often used as a barrier or obstical to the party. Now you can take it and make it work for you.

Acid may not be the most common damage type but it pairs well with class features that give resistances, or magic items that do. Really helps with resistance coverage.

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-22, 10:06 AM

Earth Champion/Fighter
Fire Evoker/Wizard
Air Thief/Rogue
Water Life/Cleric

That's the lightfoot-halfling folk-hero-background moon-druid.
He mostly travels around as a mouse in a pocket or a spider in a backpack, but when needed...

Coffee_Dragon
2016-09-22, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't rule that not breathing is a thing an animal form is "physically capable of doing".

Maxilian
2016-09-22, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't rule that not breathing is a thing an animal form is "physically capable of doing".

I see no reason why it wouldn't apply if you apply the other extras (like darkvision and/or resistances)

Coffee_Dragon
2016-09-22, 10:40 AM
I see no reason why it wouldn't apply if you apply the other extras (like darkvision and/or resistances)

Darkvision and resistances don't carry over either if they're granted by physical traits.

Maxilian
2016-09-22, 10:49 AM
Darkvision and resistances don't carry over either if they're granted by physical traits.

It seens you're right with senses (They are replaced) but it doesn't seens to apply to resistances (and things like that).

Edit: It says that the special traits are not lost when you transform

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/71314/do-any-feats-carry-over-when-in-wild-shape

Coffee_Dragon
2016-09-22, 11:10 AM
It seens you're right with senses (They are replaced) but it doesn't seens to apply to resistances (and things like that).

It might depend on the source of the resistance. If you're an alligatorkin with acid resistance from your special skin and turn into a mouse, I don't see that the mouse body supports retaining acid resistance.

Reading the brief description of Unending Breath I guess it's not very clear if it's a physical trait (as I believed) or a mystical one.

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 11:46 AM
Some aquatic creatures I'd agree; but not water gensai. They breathe water not because they have gills and fins but just inherently as part of their elemental nature.

DracoKnight
2016-09-22, 11:54 AM
Some aquatic creatures I'd agree; but not water gensai. They breathe water not because they have gills and fins but just inherently as part of their elemental nature.

I think he's talking about the Air Genasi, but I agree with you.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-22, 12:05 PM
So, I've always enjoyed the Genasi, and in 5e they feel better than ever. I've been thinking of the best way to use each subrace, especially for NPCs in an upcoming adventure.+2 CON suits anybody well.

Air: These seem perfect for fighters, rangers and rogues, or anybody that prefers to do their dirty work with ranged weapons. I say 'weapons' because they get DEX and most casters have better stuff to concentrate than Levitate. The infinite breath seems very situational to the point it's mostly favor.

Fire: This one seems better generally better than all others, because of darkvision and the resistance to the most common elemental damage. INT makes these adequate for Wizzes, EK's and AT's. The evocation seems lame, but Produce Flame gives a good ranged attack to those who dumped DEX, and Burning Hands is kinda like a Dragonborn's breath.

Water: can't help but feel these drew the short straw. Acid resistance isn't too common, and the water spells seldom help. But being amphibious and swimming opens up new ways of exploring and ambushing. Seems good for clerics (Tempest for coolness), druids, monks and rangers (aquatic beastmaster for fun).

Any other tactics each race brings to specific builds? Anything I'm missing?

My favorite builds...

Air Genasi: Barbarian

Fire Genasi: Ranger (Int investment Ranger)

Water Genasi: Cleric (typically with a dash of rogue)

Earth Genasi: Rogue, Cleric, and Barbarian.

Specter
2016-09-22, 12:31 PM
My favorite builds...

Air Genasi: Barbarian

Fire Genasi: Ranger (Int investment Ranger)

Water Genasi: Cleric (typically with a dash of rogue)

Earth Genasi: Rogue, Cleric, and Barbarian.

How do the subraces help these specific races? Or is it just a matter of coolness?

R.Shackleford
2016-09-22, 12:56 PM
How do the subraces help these specific races? Or is it just a matter of coolness?

Mostly cool but they all give some mechanical benefit.

Air Genasi Barbarian: Levitate. Climb along the ceiling, stealth, rage (drops concentration) and you fall on an enemy.

Drop Bear (take bear totem) but going Wolf Totem is great too.

Fire Genasi Ranger: At will fire cantrip, darkvision, and can Int focus well enough (I play rangers with low Wis as some of their spells don't need wis).

Water Genasi: Cool, lots of nice little things, can go dex/con/wis... But being able to swim can help you save allies. If you are going to be around water or dynamic encounters... This is a great race for your cleric. Especially if your DM is the type to put a key at the bottom of an acid pool that has sharks w/laser beams in it.

Earth Genasi: Pass Without Trace.

Maxilian
2016-09-22, 03:01 PM
I think he's talking about the Air Genasi, but I agree with you.

But wouldn't the same apply?

DracoKnight
2016-09-22, 03:15 PM
But wouldn't the same apply?

No, it would. If one can breath through a nonphysical mystical trait, then one can not need to breathe through a nonphysical mystical trait.

ilsabee
2019-04-20, 10:08 AM
[Fire: This one seems better generally better than all others, because of darkvision and the resistance to the most common elemental damage. INT makes these adequate for Wizzes, EK's and AT's. The evocation seems lame, but Produce Flame gives a good ranged attack to those who dumped DEX, and Burning Hands is kinda like a Dragonborn's breath.]

NWB here,

My first character that I ran was a Sorcerer/Fighter Air Genasi, which I really enjoyed but we're starting a new campaign with a new DM and he wants us all to have new characters. I was consider sticking with Genasi but switching the element to fire and changing my classes, I read your post but I don't know what "EK" and "AT" stand for.

Crgaston
2019-04-20, 10:27 AM
[Fire: This one seems better generally better than all others, because of darkvision and the resistance to the most common elemental damage. INT makes these adequate for Wizzes, EK's and AT's. The evocation seems lame, but Produce Flame gives a good ranged attack to those who dumped DEX, and Burning Hands is kinda like a Dragonborn's breath.]

NWB here,

My first character that I ran was a Sorcerer/Fighter Air Genasi, which I really enjoyed but we're starting a new campaign with a new DM and he wants us all to have new characters. I was consider sticking with Genasi but switching the element to fire and changing my classes, I read your post but I don't know what "EK" and "AT" stand for.
Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-20, 12:10 PM
Just beware - thread necro, ahoy!