PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Okeanos [IC]

Ifni
2016-09-21, 12:50 AM
The South-East Coast of Petraya

It is a bright clear morning on the western edge of the Neck. The air is warm and soft, full of the scent of flowers and salt and rotting seaweed. Clouds gather low on the western horizon, promising afternoon rain, and a lessening of the season's muggy heat - but only those out at sea are likely to notice them. The eastern side of Petraya is sheltered by the island's mountains from rain and storms out of the boundless ocean of the West, and there the sun shines almost ceaselessly down on beaches of white coral sand.

Ye Thuza

The merchant-ship on which she'd booked passage is made fast to the docks, and Ye Thuza gets her first look at the town of Saril's Landing, principal trade-port of the isle of Petraya, conveniently located on the eastern coast.

The scenery is impressive; the town itself, rather less so. The azure bay is deep and well-sheltered by its curving sides, but there is only a thin strip of flat sandy soil along the coast before the land rears up into steep ridges, blanketed with lush jungle. Small wooden houses, their roofs thatched with straw, scatter the coastal strip and the lower slopes of the shaded ridges.

A few larger buildings stand out, mostly placed on the broad bases of the ridges. There is one two-story building, similar in design to the other houses, but sprawling where they are meager, and set in a broad swath of bright green lawn. There is a structure consisting only of a wide roof supported by carved wooden pillars, but crowded with stalls, likely a marketplace of some kind. Another roof-and-pillars structure, both newer-looking and more haphazard, sits beside a small square stone building that gleams brightly in the sun with fresh whitewash.

There are not really streets as such, more sandy paths between the houses and small garden plots. A few people are strolling about, and more can be seen sitting under the shade of roofs or awnings, or working in the gardens. The ship Ye Thuza arrived on is easily the largest currently in port, although fishing boats are plentiful.

Valos

The waters around Petraya are warm and shallow and airy, especially compared to the chill depths of Zhuzhiao's lair. It's pleasant for the human side of her; the giant squid is a little out of its depth. The shape of the seafloor is strange, not smooth but hummocked and broken - the relics, presumably, of the downfall of the continent that once rose above these seas.

But she has arrived at last, and it's time to begin her mission. Swimming in from the west, she has skirted to the southern side of the island. Akeakamai likely had worshippers among the mortal populace, living so close to land: she could begin by asking there. Alternatively, she could search for a local spirit court. But oddly enough, she has seen few sea-creatures since her arrival in these waters, even down to the schools of fish that she would expect to throng the coral reefs - perhaps they are scared off by her presence, but it is unusual in her experience.

Blue Yarrow

The brine cur has led her swiftly to her destination; now, on the seas off Petraya's southeastern coast, her canine companion is clearly relishing familiar territory, pausing to sniff at landmarks and occasionally going into paroxysms of barking delight. Between the two of them, they seem to have effectively scared off every fish in a ten-mile radius.

The sea-dog eventually guides her to a ring-shaped atoll, only a few miles out from Petraya's looming coastline. Plunging down beneath the surface, it swims toward an underwater gap in the reef - and then pauses, swinging its great head back toward Yarrow as if in uncertainty, or perhaps invitation.

Captain Riarde

He'd sailed past Saril's Landing, but given the town a wide berth; of all places in Petraya, that's by far the most likely location to find Immaculates or agents of the Realm. He's seen no sign of the Realm patrol boat that dogged their steps earlier, but better to be safe when his crew is so undermanned. Besides, that odd intuition is calling him further southward.

Once he's past the Landing, heading south-west along the coast, it's easy enough to find a secluded bay with water deep enough for his ship. Not many travelers or traders visit Petraya, and those who do go almost entirely to the Landing.

A brisk and somewhat treacherous walk along the coast later - there are places where the jungle comes all the way down to the water, and progress becomes a matter of picking one's way over and under great tree-roots and boulders slippery with seaweed - he rounds a small cape, and enters a horseshoe-shaped cove.

Tepet Dian

Dian's efforts to get dry before encountering civilization are only partly successful; the air is warm, but also rather moist, and while he has no trouble at all running deftly along rocks slick with seaweed and sharp-edged with barnacles, he's not immune to getting splashed by sea-spray.

But perhaps it doesn't matter, for his first sight of "civilization" is hardly worthy of the term - just one building, set on the beach of a horseshoe-shaped cove.

Keeper

The local "priestess" proves less than useful as a source of information; Reed Cormorant is only an acolyte, chosen more for her common sense and medical skills than any particular affinity with the spiritual, and she is clearly rather overwhelmed by - and defensive over - recent events.

However, she does suggest that he might speak with the senior-most local priestess of Akeakamai, Azure Wisdom. She lives near Saril's Landing, where the cult has a small shrine, but of late - and Reed whispers this quietly, as if sharing a confidence - she has been spending much time in meditation at the sea-temple, a couple of hours walk south of the town. The village in which they stand is even further south, so Reed has been one of the acolytes bringing food to Azure Wisdom during her vigil; it's only a few hours walk north along the coast, she tells him, and shorter by boat.

Laughing Gull had offered, unprompted, to give Keeper transport along the coast if needed; better than fishing empty waters, he'd said rather sourly.

Riarde, Dian, Keeper

In dreams or waking, there was a call; not a pull, not a tug, only a plea that came with a sense of where. But here, wherever here is, that awareness has faded; if they are to continue, from this point on the path is up to them.

The water here is bright, and deep, and very clear; every strand of seaweed growing on the bottom of the bay is visible. The symmetry of the cove is almost perfect, and no imperfections mar the white crescent of the coral-sand beach. At the end of the cove there is a building, half into the water, as if the sea had risen up to submerge it - or perhaps retreated to reveal it. It is hard to tell if it is built of wood or stone from a distance; the walls are thickly crusted with gleaming shells that catch the light and scatter it into rainbows.

Extending out into the water is an open platform, and on the platform a woman sits cross-legged, with her hands on her knees and her eyes closed as if in meditation. She is surrounded by handfuls of glowing white pearls, laid out in a sunburst pattern. Her hair is a brilliant blue; she wears a patterned cloth wrap and a headdress that glitters in the sun. It's difficult to make out details of either pattern or headdress from a distance.

Order of arrival is going to be determined mostly by order of posting, and partly by who - if anyone - decides to be paranoid and hang back and see who else turns up :smallwink:

Riarde, the Keeper and Dian are all going to end up in more or less the same place around the same time, with Riarde arriving from the north, Dian arriving from the south/inland, and the Keeper arriving from the sea or the south along the coast, depending on whether he chooses to walk. Of course, if any of them would like to go visit Saril's Landing instead (or somewhere else), just let me know and I'll rewrite your section above.

Ye Thuza is in Saril's Landing for the moment and able to explore a bit. The two Lunars are currently out at sea; Yarrow with her dog-guide and Valos with a broad set of options - for Valos, just let me know where she'd go or what she'd do first.

Also let me know if you want clarification of the geography.

Aevylmar
2016-09-21, 02:26 PM
Captain Riarde

"Hmm." Captain Riarde scrapes seaweed off his boot against a rock, straightens out the tassels of his coat. It's an excellent, captainly coat, one he'd find trouble replacing, not to mention that there's several pounds of firedust in it that he'd really rather avoid getting damp. Still, no harm done. This walk was just what he needed, to get his spirits high.

Having checked, he then dusts his hands off and strolls into the inlet. It's quite excellent, isn't it? The kind of beauty that really reminds you how lucky you are to be able to travel; the blue waves, the white sands, the golden sun gleaming off it all. "For your gifts, great Sun, I give thanks." It's quiet, casual, under his breath, but no less heartfelt for that.

Then he smiles a cheerful smile and raises a hand in greetings to the meditating woman. Out of a desire not to break her concentration, though, he says nothing that might disturb her.

I'm assuming he's arriving first from the fact that nobody else had posted when I started writing this. In the event that someone else would rather arrive first, they should feel free to do so.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-21, 02:34 PM
Valos of the Deep Trenches (https://docs.google.com/document/d/140dfSLD_VmzQoe-u8YAqLx6oan9DsSuKpCB7kwdNNys/edit?usp=sharing)

Valos, in the form of a great siaka clad in a glistening chain shirt, works her jaw as she ponders her next course of action. 'What strange terrain, and stranger still is the absence of the fish. Perhaps a local spirit course will have some insight to share regarding these oddities.'

After a moment she decides that she would be best received if she was in her human form, and so takes a moment to change shapes before seeking out her next destination.

Here's a (Perception 4 + Occult 2) roll to see if she can find any trace of a spirit court nearby: [roll0]

EDIT: 3 successes.

Valos' Essence is currently at 11/12 Personal and 3/22 Peripheral; the 1m Personal was spent to shift to her human true form, and the 19m Peripheral are committed to her artifacts and West Mastery. Woohoo for tiny pools~

OracleofSilence
2016-09-21, 04:46 PM
Tepet Dian

Dian sat, uncharacteristically still, at the edge of the cove. He was leaning, lounging more accurately, against a pleasantly smooth rock and the rough trunk of a fallen alba tree. The cove was beautiful, and the call, though less directed, was still present, but it was, for now, ignored.

The cove was beautiful, and if no one was in a hurry to meet him, then there was no harm in taking a moment to enjoy that beauty. Besides another man, a captain of some variety, had already entered the cove when Dian arrived. Maybe it would be for the best to spend some time just... watching. After all, this was a new land and...

Boring. SO BORING. Was this really what restraint felt like? What a waste. Dian leapt to his feet, shaking sand from his clothes as he does so, and strides rapidly out onto the beach, inclining his head towards the captain and maintaining his focus on the seated woman. No real need to talk, while Dian did find it desperately hard to remain still, silence was no issue.

Aevylmar
2016-09-21, 05:34 PM
Captain Riarde

Hm. So he isn't the only one who's been summoned. Riarde tips his hat to Dian, taking advantage of the opportunity to get in a good look at the stranger.

Ifni
2016-09-21, 06:25 PM
Riarde and Dian

At the sound of footsteps, the woman opens her eyes. Seeing Riarde first, she stands up rapidly, adjusting her headdress. Her gaze is very intent; her expression is... complex, some mingling of eagerness and nervousness and surprise half-masked beneath composure. Her eyes are strange, now that he's close enough to see her more closely; smooth blackness fills them almost from edge to edge. Her headdress is wrought from pale coral, and depicts leaping dolphins.

Before she can speak, Dian strides out onto the beach, and she blinks, her head swinging back and forth between the two men. But after a moment she clears her throat and says, with a passable semblance of calm, "Greetings; you are most welcome. What brings you here? I am Azure Wisdom, servant of Akeakamai - are you seeking healing, or spiritual counsel?"

Something in her tone suggests that she's seeking a different answer.

Valos

Valos knows something of the nodes and currents of power that underlie the world. Breathing in the local Essence and studying the patterns of growth on the ocean floor, she senses what feels like a faint warmth to the east, with her Essence senses rather than her physical ones - and consistently, there is more growth of seaweed and coral in that direction as well. It's not much, but it's a place to start.

After some time swimming toward the source, she sees motion ahead, a flurry of bubbles in the water. Approaching closer, the source of the bubbles is a pair of dog-like creatures - either playing or fighting, it's not quite clear. Their fur is green and weedy, their claws like daggers, and they are far larger than any land-bound dog; nonetheless, they are unmistakably canine.

They do not seem to have noticed her yet.

Aevylmar
2016-09-21, 09:21 PM
Captain Riarde

"I suppose you could say that I'm seeking enlightenment," Riarde says. "You -" he glances at Dian - "someone here sent for me, and I always hate to disappoint."

OracleofSilence
2016-09-21, 09:33 PM
Tepet Dian

"I heard a call. So I followed it." No need for complex explanations at the moment, and at least right now, things didn't seem un-amicable, so no real reason to lie.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-21, 10:31 PM
Valos of the Deep Trenches (https://docs.google.com/document/d/140dfSLD_VmzQoe-u8YAqLx6oan9DsSuKpCB7kwdNNys/edit?usp=sharing)

Valos carefully approaches the canine creatures to get a closer look; even if they were fighting, it was not her place to interfere. Instead, she simply moves within their field of view in a non-threatening manner as she tries to gauge whether they were merely unusual sea life or spirits with whom she could communicate.

Ifni
2016-09-21, 11:22 PM
Riarde and Dian

The woman exhales. Her expression is still strange; she can't seem to decide between relief, worry and incredulity. Her fingers twine around each other, although her face stays calm. Both Dian and Riarde notice that since she stood up, the pearls laid out around her have crumbled into fine white dust.

"Well then." She looks again from one to the other. "Neither of you look like Immaculates in disguise, at least..." She places her hands together and bows deeply. "Welcome twice over, my lords. It's my honor to meet you." She rises, and offers them both a crooked - and somewhat uncertain - smile. "I've never made such a petition before, and I wasn't expecting any of the Sun's champions to respond so quickly." Or at all, she might as well have added; she has the look of someone who still doesn't quite believe what is happening. "But I am the one who called for aid. Will you come inside? It is more comfortable there, and you can eat and drink if you wish, while I explain."

I know the Keeper's working on an IC post, but they're just going to sit in the shade, this shouldn't interfere with him showing up.

Valos

The dog-creatures break off their play - and it does seem to have been play - as they notice her, and stalk toward her, growling guardedly. This close, she can see that their tongues are strange, with many independent-seeming lobes, and their mouths are packed with double rows of teeth. They are not shaped like animals naturally adapted to the water, not smooth and streamlined, and yet they move through the ocean with ease. Combined with her sense of a fount of Essence somewhere in the area, she suspects they are either spirits, or at the least some strange Wyld-changed beasts, not natural creatures.

Valos, give me an Int+Occult roll to identify them.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-22, 12:13 AM

Valos stops short and raises her hands to show she means no harm. "I am Valos, emissary of the High Princep of the Deep Trenches," she solemnly declares. "He has bidden me seek out the godling Akeakamai, with whom he had an arrangement. I ask for your assistance in locating him."

Silly me, I meant to do that with my previous post. Here you go: [roll0]

EDIT: Hey hey, one success. That's one more than I was expecting. ;-P

Aevylmar
2016-09-22, 12:37 AM
Captain Riarde

"Of course!" Riarde smiles. "I'd be honored to accept your hospitality." His expression - his whole stance - is one of pure confidence; by the way he stands, no matter what the trouble is, he can handle it.

"I'm Riarde, by the way. Captain Riarde, of the Innocent Wager. Chosen of the Sun, certainly not an Immaculate of any stripe. So, what did you need help with?"

Failed Phantasm
2016-09-22, 01:12 AM
Had there been room to lie down and sprawl out, Keeper would have let one arm dangle over the side of Laughing Gull's little boat and watched the ripples race away behind the churn kicked up by the bow. He had always wondered what that might feel like, leisurely drifting along, but the River of Queens was carrying miles' and miles' worth of who-knows-what where it emptied into the Great Western Ocean; sticking your hand into that was ill- advised, to say the least. It was certainly a far cry from the ocean surrounding the Neck. Here the sea was pristine and shallow enough that one could look down and see the sand sinuously snaking its way across the seafloor — and clear enough to take note of the utter absence of fish or other marine life. But Keeper had to make that observation as he leaned against the mast, taking what cover he could from the sun beneath the mainsail. Behind the mask, his jaw was clenched tight, but he said nothing that might interrupt or dispirit his host while the man sang a little sea shanty in Seatongue.

Reed Cormorant had been right: it was a far quicker journey by sea than land, and Keeper soon saw the cove coming into view. He might even have considered it beautifully striking had he seen it earlier that morning or at dusk, but at the moment it was too damnably bright to look at directly. But he adjusted his mask and hood and straightened his robes as they drew closer to shore — the mild discomfort was no excuse at all to be anything less than perfectly composed. 'Shame that I don't have a more thoughtful offering,' he thought; 'It might have made this "Azure Wisdom" more amenable to my being here.' Were this a temple of the Golden Lord, he would have left arrangements of lotus flowers and carefully-calligraphed prayer strips. He'd had the forethought to buy a few of the latter from a native-born priest in Solid Shell, but he was down to his last after his latest tour of the islands. He pressed a hand against his chest, where the slip of paper was safely stashed. 'This will have to do, alas.'

"Thank you, Laughing Gull," he said as he disembarked. "I shall strive not to keep you waiting long, if you wish to wait for my return." He inclined his head politely to the fisherman and then made the short trek from the beach to the pier upon which the priestess was seated. Already he could see two other persons with the priestess — 'Unexpected but not surprising, really.' — and he slowed his pace to a more deliberate cadence as he stepped onto the platform. "My greetings to you, Azure Wisdom, honored priestess of Akeakamai." Keeper clasped his hands before him and bowed at the waist. "I do hope I am not interrupting?" He turned his head ever so slightly towards the priestess'… guests? servants? consorts?… before looking back at her.

CONDITION
Essence 42 / 53, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 10 / 10

➜ Personal 16 / 16
➜ Peripheral 26 + (11) / 37

Kaworu
2016-09-22, 10:37 AM
Ye Thuza

The young Sidereal stepped into the soft sand at the beach. The place looked nice, even though the city was rather small. Keeping her head high, she marched in the direction of the biggest building, looking for some kind of mayor or what the locals had there. Her mission demanded that.

Currently (with the help of her fellow Exalted) she looked like a male Wood-aspected Dragon Blooded. She even had green hair! Petals created a few destinies for herself, but she thought that pretending to be an enligthened person from Realm will do her the best.

But now, using her disquise, she had to find the most knowledgeable and powerful person there. As an agent of Fate, she had to act - even if subtly.

OracleofSilence
2016-09-22, 04:50 PM
Tepet Dian

"Lead away, my Lady. No need for the honorifics though. I am no lord." The honorifics still came smoothly, even if it made his head ache to utter them, but regardless of his long practiced court niceties, Dian is clearly discomforted. Given the circumstances it was obviously impossible to offer even the slightest hint at his actual identity, but that still raised the question of why he was here. For now though, best to play along. He had stumbled into an opportunity, even if there were risks, and it would be a waste to simply let that slip by.

Aaaaand now someone else arrived. The risk was increasing. Dian clamped down ruthlessly on the urge to get out. Acting suspicious now would just make things worse.

Ifni
2016-09-23, 07:13 PM
The Cove (Dian, Riarde, the Keeper)

About to lead Dian and Riarde inside, Azure Wisdom pauses as she sees Laughing Gull's boat entering the inlet, with an apologetic glance at her two visitors. She waits until the fisherman and his passenger disembark, and nods politely in acknowledgement of the Keeper's bow and words. Her body language has shifted; more regal, her previous uncertainty well-concealed.

"You are welcome to my temple, sir. What brings you here?" She turns her hand toward the other two men. "I have two guests at present - if you have a simple question or other such brief request, I can speak with you now, or if your business does not require privacy, we can speak while my guests refresh themselves. But else I must ask you to wait, or return at a later time."

Valos

At the name Akeakamai, the dog-creatures' ears prick up. One begins swimming eastward; the other circles closer to Valos as if to herd her in the same direction, making small yipping noises.

The name the Lunar has been trying to remember finally comes to mind: brine curs. Water elementals, they often serve in the courts of ocean-spirits of various ranks; they are intensely loyal to and protective of their masters, much like the true dogs they resemble. They understand Old Realm to a limited degree, but cannot speak - their minds are closer to those of very-intelligent dogs than to humans. They prefer the upper waters, and so do not regularly serve in Zhuzhiao's domain, but she has seen them from a distance in the company of visiting spirits.

Ye Thuza

Shi Mi makes his way down the gangplank and into the town, heading toward the large house. When he comes closer, he can see that its construction is of wooden logs, with many large open windows to admit the breeze. A stylized lobster is painted in bright blue above the wide-framed doorway. The garden surrounding the house is bright with flowers in carefully arranged beds.

A young man, little more than a boy, is leaning against the wall beside the doorway. He is wearing a black-stained buff jacket decorated with coral beads, has a spear held loosely in one hand, and looks both very bored and very overheated.

At Shi Mi's approach, he straightens up, clears his throat, and declares, "Elder Gliding Manta holds audiences in the afternoon on Venusday." This self-assured speech is somewhat diminished by his nervous swallow as he takes in the visitor's garb and appearance.

Failed Phantasm
2016-09-23, 10:13 PM
As Keeper straightened from his bow, there was something different in his bearing as well: a certain self-assured dignity, a gracefully acrobatic poise. If his voice had a pleasant lilt before, now it was fairly melodic. Would that he had the inclination to show his face, but perhaps it was all the more impressive that he could be so appealing while still having every square inch of himself completely concealed. 'Two can play this game, priestess.' Smiling to himself, he said, "Might I venture a guess that my lady knows exactly why I am here?" Without turning his head, he cast a sideways glance towards Laughing Gull down on the beach. "And that you likewise know that my business is anything but private?"

He withdrew the prayer strip from within the folds of his robes with so deft and seamless a motion it was as if he had done nothing more than remove a loose thread. As he did so, he continued: "For what other purpose would one come to a temple but to make an offering, priestess? Indeed, I have two of them for you." Placing one hand behind his back he made another, shallower bow and extended the strip to her in his outstretched hand. "The first, from villagers who have shown me such selfless hospitality during my stay here." He again looked towards Laughing Gull, but this time made a slight nod in his direction. "A prayer for the safety and well-being of Akeakamai," — surely, she was too on edge to miss the subtle emphasis he put on those words — "and that Petraya and its people continue to prosper under his protection."

He paused a moment to study her reaction, but only just. If he had managed to strike true, it was important not to let her regain her composure. "As for the second," he said, "I would offer you my personal assistance with, if I may dare another guess," — he glanced briefly at both Riarde and Dian — "the matter that you were about to discuss with these gentlemen." He paused for a moment, playing with the words on the tip of his tongue. 'Ugh, repeating myself. How delightfully droll.' But he nevertheless said, "It is, after all, in Skullstone's best interests to protect Petraya's best interests. What else are close neighbors for?"

ACTIONS TAKEN

Keeper spends one mote of Personal Essence to activate Exquisite Etiquette Style.

CONDITION
Essence 41 / 53, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 10 / 10

➜ Personal 15 + (1) / 16

ACTIVE EFFECTS

Exquisite Etiquette Style – (Until next action)

Kaworu
2016-09-24, 08:23 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal smiled ath the young man who was speaking to her.

Good day to you. My name is Shi Mi, I came here a long way from Realm specially to see Petraya. I am a monk of Immaculate Order. I am here due to some rumors about recent, un-Immaculate gods activity. As you surely know well, we have a calandar of ceremonies and if the rumors are true, some gods are receiving more prayers than they should, thus becoming dangerous for mortal population. My order is very saddened by this fact. I would like to speak, on the behalf of my holy organization, with the mayor of this city about this and other possibly worsening conditions. I am sure that this gentle man will make an exception for me.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-24, 09:16 AM

'Hmph. It would seem these brine curs do not speak Seatongue. I suppose I shall have to choose my words carefully... or else hope that I can speak more freely with their master.' Valos diligently follows the dog-like spirit eastward.

I suppose I might as well make a (Perception + Awareness) sight-seeing roll: [roll0]

EDIT: Woohoo, four successes. Not looking for anything in particular, just whatever stands out to the eye. Also, sorry that the post is so short. I couldn't think of anything else to put.

The_Snark
2016-09-24, 09:48 AM
The bulk of the journey has taken place in the sunlit upper reaches of the ocean, in part for warmth's sake but mostly because for all Blue Yarrow's ease in the water, she cannot breathe it. This isn't the first time in the past few hours that her guide has gone diving into deeper waters, to sniff at some outcropping on the sea floor or gambol through colorful reefs. If Blue were an impatient woman, she might have grown frustrated, but she is not and so is perfectly content to watch the brine cur at play. Its enthusiasm is contagious; a sea dragon cannot smile and is unsuited to frolicking, but she's been tempted. (After all, who's watching?)

This time, though, there's a sense of purpose in its movements. Blue answers its look with a dip of her head, rises to the surface to take in air one more time, and dives. Halfway down her body changes, tattoos shimmering silver as her body first slims itself and then shrinks. When she arrives she is half-woman and perhaps a quarter the size, her upper body tinted blue and lightly scaled but otherwise perfectly human.

She slows as she nears the hound, waiting for it to lead her in.

Ifni
2016-09-24, 07:58 PM
The Cove

Azure Wisdom is very still, but she inclines her head to the Keeper and accepts his offering, winding the strip around her hands. She glances past him at Laughing Gull, before turning back to the visitor from Skullstone. "I thank you for your offering. So do we all pray."

To Keeper's well-honed gaze, the priestess is clearly concealing both worry and hope. At the name of Akeakamai her eyes turned downward, just briefly, as if in grief, and at his mention of Petraya's best interests her lips twisted a little wryly. If this is deception, she is a master actor; what he can read of her intentions is simply to find help.

"Mind you, I've had to judge neighborhood disputes before," she adds mildly and more casually, and the wry smile becomes more apparent. "So I am well aware that proximity does not always lead to harmony. But since your arrival is so timely - at this point, I won't refuse assistance." The glance she gives the Keeper, as she leads the three into the shrine, holds more than a hint of... curiosity? Bemusement?

The room adjacent to the platform has wide louvered doors that open onto the platform; at present they are spread open to admit light and air. The inside walls are painted plain white, with a floor of polished wood. Mats are piled in one corner of the room. Lengths of tan-colored cloth printed with dark patterns hang from the walls; the patterns seem to show stylized sea-creatures.

Azure Wisdom sets out mats and a low wooden table for the food, and gestures to them to sit. From an adjacent room she brings small plates and bowls, and cups for tea. It seems there are no servants here at present. The food she lays out is simple: breadfruit, coconut meat and milk, bananas wrapped in leaves, and bowls of a thick taro porridge. She brings in a large pitcher of chilled tea, and pours for each of them in turn.

When everyone is served, she takes a seat herself, but does not take any of the food, although she sips at a cup of tea.

"Forgive me, first, for speaking of serious matters during a meal," she begins. "But I suspect you are all busy men, and time may be of the essence here. First, I am grateful to you all for coming here, for whatever reasons." Her gaze flicks to Keeper, still with a hint of puzzlement in it. "Some of what I say may be known to you, but still, I will begin at the beginning..."

She takes a long breath. "For as long as any here can remember, the Dolphin-Lord Akeakamai has held this land and its people under his protection. He has ensured good fishing for our people, warned our ships of storms, and kept us safe from malevolent sea-spirits. We pray and sacrifice to the great gods of the sea as well, of course -" she assures them hastily. "To the Ocean Father and Rudhira Storm-Rider, and the Wise Crab who favors fishermen. But Akeakamai has always been our especial patron." She runs a hand across her sea-blue hair. "From time to time he even mingles his own divine blood with our families. He is my father as well as my patron, and I have served him gladly since I was old enough to understand the vows."

She breathes in, breathes out. "And now he is... missing." I hope, her tone says as clearly as any words. "For almost a month now, he has not answered my prayers. The fish have left our fishing grounds, and storms have come and gone without warning. He left me no word; I was as surprised as anyone else when he fell silent. And that is... not something he would do, not by choice or by carelessness."

She folds her hands together. "This is what I would ask of you, my lords - or not-lords," she adds to Dian, with a smile. "To go where I cannot, to learn what has happened to my father, and - if it can be done - to restore him to us so that he may set things right." She grimaces, and adds candidly, "Before the Immaculates finish persuading my people that they have been abandoned and betrayed, and that this is the natural and inevitable consequence of worshipping the gods. An outcome which I do not think any of us would favor."

The Ocean

Blue dives into a world of coral in a hundred vibrant colors, brilliant orange and lurid blue, blossoming pink and verdant green. Here, for the first time, she sees small fish darting between the coral, and clams and starfish on the seafloor.

She swims forward, following the hound - and feels an indefinable change in the water, as she passes through the the gap in the ring wall. The water was warm and pleasant before, but now it seems to stroke her skin; the fish are more abundant, and while the colors of the corals are not as bright as they were outside, if anything their shapes are even more fantastic.

The hound rises up to the surface, and Blue follows it, to find herself in a wide cerulean lagoon.

It is, she notes, much wider than the atoll looked from outside. Several small islands rise up from the water; the largest holds a pavilion seemingly constructed entirely of ivory-colored coral. These, as well, were not visible from without.

That is as much as she has time to notice before several other brine curs rush toward her through the water, barking furiously.

~

Valos swims through the waves for some time, following the hounds. Even in this less-threatening form, she still sees very little in the way of fish and other sea-life, although the seaweed and coral seem to be flourishing, and there are clams and other shellfish clinging to the rocks.

When she finally sees something that isn't rolling sea-floor, there are two things that catch her eye. A swell washes over her from the direction of the hounds' travel, and peering forward, she can see a reef of rocks and coral up ahead - and beneath the water she sees a glint of silver light off a long tail, as it vanishes into a gap in the coral.

At the same time, well off to her left toward the island of Petraya, she catches sight of a small dark humanoid form swimming down toward the seafloor, darting through rocks and stands of seaweed.

The hounds do not seem to have noticed the latter occurrence, and are still swimming steadily toward the atoll.

The Town

The young man flinches, and clutches his spear more tightly. When he speaks, his voice wobbles a little. "He's the Elder, not the mayor. He wears the sacred blue claw. How do I know you're an Immaculate monk? Anyone could claim that." He peers at Shi Mi. "Did Honored Sarathi send you?"

You can roll a social attack, using [Manipulation or Charisma]+[Performance or Presence], to persuade him to let you in.

Kaworu
2016-09-25, 10:36 AM
Ye Thuza

I am very sorry. Elder, not mayor. I will try to remember. Please, forgive my ignorance, it is my first time in a foreign country - said "Shi Mi" with real tone of apology in his voice.

As to me being an Inmaculate Monk... - he continued, smiling slightly - There is a special martial arts technique passed from generations to generations. If I will perform it in front of you, you could not take your eyes off me, no matter how hard you would try. Please, look - he stated, standing in a battle-ready position.

Soon, he started to move. His movements were like those of a snake, continuos, smooth, never-ending. He performed feats of martial arts, and wherever he went, the sight of young boy followed him.

Do you believe me now? - asked monk, still moving, beautiful as an anaconda from the far East.

Unbreakable Fascination Kata [-4m from Personal Pool]

Roll: Martial Arts (5) + Essence (3) + Charisma (4) = 12 dices

[roll0]

Should I add dices for my Specialty? She is unarmed, after all...

The_Snark
2016-09-25, 04:18 PM
This isn't the first time Blue has treated with spirits; she's no monk or priestess, but she knows a bit from her days as a sailor and the Sage has taught her more. It is, however, the first time she's seen a spirit court proper. And it must be that, despite the lack of, well, courtiers. Even if Akeakamai's hound hadn't led her here, it feels like the sort of home she'd imagine a dolphin-god making for himself.

Also, it's bigger on the inside than the outside, that's a bit of a clue.

Bit empty, though. Shouldn't there be... reef-tenders, windsingers, wave-nymphs, tidecombers, other little gods of sea and sand and sky? She's not sure but it feels like there ought to be someone other than the dogs to greet her.

Oh, yes: dogs. At least the baiju's guard dogs are here. Blue ceases swimming and drifts to a halt as they approach, resting near the surface. For most spirits she'd bow. These ones are dogs; wouldn't give the right impression. All right, if her guide's presence isn't enough to get her welcomed, let's see... "Hello?" she tries; her brine cur seemed to understand some Old Tongue but she isn't sure how much. "I'm here with a message for Akeakamai."

Aevylmar
2016-09-25, 04:21 PM
"Of course I'll help!" Riarde declares impulsively. "If the patron of Petraya has gone missing, something is clearly wrong that needs to be fixed, and I'll be glad to help."

He hesitates for a moment, though. "I know very little about gods, and the nature of their life or death. How is it that an undying, immortal god could be trapped, or injured, or even killed?"

Ifni
2016-09-26, 01:19 AM
The Cove

Azure Wisdom smiles back at Riarde, looking genuinely relieved for a moment. "Thank you, my lord. That is... very good to hear."

"As for how a god might be trapped or injured or slain -" She grimaces. "Gods can die, or be wounded, by violence. But only terrible magics can slay one permanently." She pauses, but after a moment goes on reluctantly, "If that's what's happened... I would guess an Immaculate Master for the responsible party. They have the motivation, and it seems like the kind of technique they would develop. I haven't heard of any such adepts in the area - our new Immaculate missionary is mortal, by all reports - but there have been more Realm ships around of late."

"But usually, when a god dies, they restore themselves in their sanctum, and fairly quickly - within a few weeks, if what I've been taught is accurate. My father's sanctum is intact - it caps an Essence-node offshore. If it had been destroyed, we would know."

"As for trapping one -" She opens her hands. "Gods can become immaterial, so any trap could not be purely mundane. And my father is clever; dolphins are all tricksters." She sounds a little as if she's trying to convince herself. "If it was a simple, passive trap, he would surely have won his way free. So if he is held prisoner, either it is a complex passive trap, or he has supernatural guards."

The Atoll

The dogs draw back slightly; they are still growling, but with a tone of warning rather than immediate aggression. Blue's escort yips at them, and then begins swimming toward the coral pavilion. The other dogs hang back; they do not seem interested in keeping her away. Their ears are drooping; if they were mortal dogs, she would say they seem disappointed.

The Town

The young man stares, transfixed. "Yes," he murmurs, as if in a trance.

Only when the Charm is released does he move to open the door. "Stay here, sir. I'll... I'll tell him you're here."

A few moments later, the door swings open, and a man in late middle age walks out. He is heavily built, with a sun-weathered face and turquoise hair streaked with white. A brilliant blue lobster claw hangs on a chain around his neck. He wears a patterned wrap of the local pounded-bark cloth, and is scowling. The young guard follows behind him, a little shame-faced.

"What is this, then? The boy says you are an Immaculate Master, come to put a stop to our heathen practices."

Kaworu
2016-09-26, 06:21 AM
Ye Thuza

Welcome, Elder. It is a pleasure to meet you - Shi Mi did not forget his manners - You could say that I have come here to put a stop on your practices, but in fact, I do not know what they are. For now, I want to talk and assess what has been done there and for how long. After that I will decide what is best both for my order and for Petraya. Please, do not treat me as an intruder, I have the very best intention of helping you to find spiritual balance. - he said, still smiling. Ye Thuza as a Chosen of Serenity could not be harsh, plus she believed that being nice would be more profitable than being rude or demanding.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-26, 06:45 AM

Valos presses her lips into a hard line. 'If I spoke their tongue, I could ask them to hold while I investigate that other figure, but as it is I cannot lightly abandon these spirits when they have seen fit to guide me somewhere else... I suppose that figure may have nothing to do with my mission, so I will let this pass.'

She forces herself to look forward, searching instead for any clues as to the owner of that silvery tail. 'Whatever that might have been, the spirits are unalarmed or at least unaware. My attention is best focused on the path ahead.' Thus resolved, she swims on a little faster to better keep up with her guides.

Ifni
2016-09-29, 01:06 AM
The Elder's House

Gliding Manta's frown fades away, as he studies Ye Thuza more closely. "I see. Indeed. Well, the Immaculates of the Realm are always very welcome here, of course."

He gestures past Ye Thuza, toward one of the ridges that rises up from the town. "You know, of course, that there are members of your order already present here - Honored Kiro, who has dwelled here for many years, and Honored Sarathi, who has only recently graced us with her presence, but has already won many friends. Perhaps you might begin by consulting with them?"

The Ring Atoll

As Valos draws closer to the coral cliff, she sees a gap in the reef beneath the surface; the brine curs seem to be steering directly for it. She goes through in a tumble of dogs and sea-foam, the curs pressing close against her; she feels a momentary disorientation, and then she is somewhere... different.

The lagoon is broad, far larger than it appeared from outside, and the water is shallow and warm - almost too warm, after the cold and pressure of the Deep Trenches. There are fish here, darting around the coral, and other small sea-creatures - clams and urchins and starfish, anemones and sea-cucumbers. The sand on the bottom of the lagoon is brilliantly white. Several small islands rise up from the surface; the largest holds a bone-white pavilion, built from dead coral.

More of the brine curs are paddling in the lagoon; they are mostly clustered just ahead of her, but seem to be moving apart, as if whatever had caught their interest is no longer quite so compelling. At Valos' entrance, kelp-green ears perk up and several of them begin swimming in her direction, exchanging yips and barks with her canine companions.

Beyond the mass of waving tails and kelp-fur and claws, however, Valos can see that flash of silver again - and then the silvered being turns, and Valos sees her human torso and long scaled dragon-tail, and the gleaming tattoos that mark her body, and she knows what she is looking at. If not who, at least at first glance.

Assuming that you want to go in here; if you don't, just let me know in the OOC and I'll rewrite.

If you do go in, Valos and Blue can now talk to each other.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-29, 07:43 AM

Valos observes her new surroundings with equal parts wonder and distaste; her new powers had given her the means to enjoy vast vistas the likes of which could not easily be rivaled on land, and certainly the sights were more pleasing to the eye than the endless, largely static view of the ocean's surface that dominated a shipboard perspective, but she had come to admire the cold austerity of her master's domain.

Her musings on that front are quickly curtailed when she recognizes a kindred spirit floating before her - a fellow Steward unmistakably distinguished by her argent tattoos. Valos is almost certain that she had seen this particular Steward before, but she cannot remember exactly where they had met, or what her name might be. 'I spoke with few others during my time with the Silver Pact, so it is unsurprising that I recall so few faces and even fewer names... More importantly, it seems that this Steward has adopted her war form. Why? Is there imminent danger here?'

Over the next few moments, Valos' form swells, redoubling her already imposing stature as her skin and hair take on the hue of the midnight sea. Her legs split into an octet of swaying tentacles, each parting the water with greater ease and power than her human limbs ever could. Her moonsilver armor shifts in tandem with the rest of her body, girding almost every inch with brilliant metal. This was the form in which Valos felt most at home.

"Hail and well met, comrade," she says when her transformation is complete. "I am Valos, Emissary of the Deep Trenches. What brings you to this atoll?" Simple and direct, as suits her temperament.

There's another 5m spent, bringing her totals to 9/12 Personal and 0/22 Peripheral; she split the expenditure into 2m and 3m, which reveals her caste marks and Tell. The Armiger is presently in its true form, i.e. superheavy plate, which covers everything but her head. I sure would love to see a squid in plate armor. :-3

Kaworu
2016-09-29, 09:21 AM
Ye Thuza

Yes Elder, I know there are other Immaculates, but as you are the leader of this community, I decided it would be better to come first to you rather than to my brothers in faith - said Shi Mi. I will talk about it undoubtelly with my companions, but please, tell me like friend to friend - are there some things that make you angry? Sad? Surprised? Something changed latety? Anything I could be of help? - he asked, looking the Elder straight in his eyes.

OracleofSilence
2016-09-29, 04:46 PM
"Well, it's a start. I can't pretend to know anymore about gods then the good captain here, but I'm prepared to give it a try." Dian was curious. A missing god? It sounded like a grand adventure. And a Solar too! This was fortuitous. And it also might thwart an Immaculate plot! The thoughts flashed through his head, all grand adventure and intellectual exercises, and all of them, Dian knew, were ultimately excuses. The excitement was real, and was clearly visible in his posture and expression, but a slightly more studied examination would reveal what Dian himself was trying to ignore: a very real sense of concern and sympathy.

The_Snark
2016-09-30, 06:17 PM
Well. Akeakamai's hounds aren't treating her like an intruder, but nor is this the welcome she'd hoped for. Did the baiji not have a doorman, or whatever title a spirit might prefer for that job? Odd. Her brine cur still seems to have some idea where to go, though; best to follow until -

A flicker of motion from below catches her eye: silver in the depths of the lagoon, blooming outward like some strange flower. It takes Blue a minute to realize what - or rather, who - she's looking at. She knows of two Stewards who favor such memorable hybrid forms. One is the Sage of the Depths, who she knows to be elsewhere, and who in any case does not wrap himself in shining moonsilver. The other...

"I'm here with a message for Akeakamai," she answers, assuming that the other Full Moon knows who the baiji is (else why would she come to his sanctum?); and then, because she doesn't seem to have been recognized, adds, "Blue Yarrow. We met once, briefly. What of you?"

Only then does she think to glance after her guide, hoping that it hasn't gone on ahead and out of sight.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-30, 07:12 PM

Valos nods. "Our interests align, then," she says simply, noting Blue's momentary distraction. "Have you seen or heard from Lord Akeakamai, Blue Yarrow? I was myself guided here a brine cur, and it seems there are yet more here. Perhaps this is Lord Akeakamai's sanctum... Which brings me to my next inquiry."

"Do you have reason to believe there may be danger here? When I saw that you had adopted your war form, I had decided to follow suit. However, Lord Akeakamai may not take our battle-ready appearances lightly."

The_Snark
2016-09-30, 08:07 PM
Blue has to suppress a smile at being asked this by someone clad head-to-toe in enchanted moonsilver armor. "No danger I know of. This is the only shape I know which can both speak and move freely underwater. If Lord Akeakamai wants to meet me on land I can change; otherwise he'll have to take me as I am. Besides," she stretches her arms out to either side, demonstrating that they have neither armor nor scales, "this is hardly battle-ready."

"I think this is Akeakamai's sanctum, but I haven't seen anyone aside from his dogs. The one who led me here," at this she glances upwards again, "seems to have somewhere in mind. Perhaps we'll have more luck there."

With that, she turns and resumes swimming towards the pavilion, trusting that Valos will follow or not as she pleases.

Translation for OOC clarity: Blue doesn't have Gift Charms active. Her warform sans Gifts is sort of mermaid-ish, from the waist up she's completely human aside from blue-tinged skin. With Armor-Forming Technique she'd be heavily scaly all over.

People just meeting her for the first time wouldn't necessarily know this, mind you; Blue is not totally unaware of this, but she still doesn't think her basic warform is especially war-like.

Yatogami Odin
2016-09-30, 08:26 PM

Valos frowns. "I suppose that is a valid point." She takes a moment to will her armor into a simple chain shirt so as to downplay her own readiness. "I shall follow your lead, then; I was brought here in much the same manner, so our destinations are likely the same."

Having said her piece, she lapses into silence and matches pace with Blue Yarrow.

Ifni
2016-10-02, 03:10 AM
The Elder's House

Gliding Manta grimaces, but meets Shi Mi's gaze. "I don't suppose you know how to bring back fish to an area? I was working on famine rationing plans when you interrupted me - Honored One."

He looks out at the sea. "If you want to help, that's where it's needed. The change was sudden enough that I suspect some supernatural cause - but I do my best to stay out of matters spiritual and supernatural." His mouth twists a little, in a sour half-smile. "That's part of your doctrine, isn't it? Mortals should leave dealings with spirits to your Order?"

After a moment he sighs. "Forgive my brusqueness, Honored One." The apology does not sound very sincere. "If you could work out how to return the fish to our waters, that would be most helpful. Your sister-in-faith, Honored Sarathi, has been most generous in sharing the stores she brought with her, but that can only last so long. We can grow a little food along the coastline, but the soil is salty and sandy, and only a little way inland the jungle grows almost impenetrable. We live from the sea, and if the sea becomes barren..." He shrugs one shoulder, scowls.

The Shrine

Azure Wisdom bows her head to Dian. "Thank you as well, then. I have a few suggestions for where you might begin, but -" She looks at the Keeper. "You have been quiet - would it suit you better to remain here on the island? The search for my father is likely to be risky; I wouldn't pressure anyone to undertake it. And I could use help here, too, if - as I suspect is true - you would rather not see her Immaculate Holiness Honored Sarathi gain more ground." Her voice grows rather tart as she mentions the Immaculate's name.

The Sanctum

The dogs lead the two Lunars to the island with the coral pavilion, but remain in the water. Blue's guide in particular seems fretful, whimpering as she noses at the edge of the island.

Channels of flowing water slice through the island, but they are too narrow to easily accommodate a Lunar in war-form. The main entrances to the pavilion are on the surface; the pale coral is formed into arches easily large enough to accommodate a human. Outside the pavilion, the island is covered in soft white sand, speckled with small seashells. There is still no obvious sign of inhabitants, aside from the dogs. The tide is currently quite high, almost reaching the base of the pavilion's steps.

Looking into the pavilion, the layout is simple and open; small pools and streams of clear blue water cut through the polished white coral floor of the main room. One side of the room is more closed-in than the others, without obvious exits to the lagoon; instead, more arches open into several smaller rooms.

Several objects are strewn haphazardly across the floor of the pavilion - seagrass pillows; a wooden flute; a knife with a polished shell handle; woven palm-frond baskets; a broken ceramic bowl; some scraps of silk. A single pale pearl gleams at the Lunars from the far wall.

The_Snark
2016-10-02, 03:46 AM
Blue surveys the pavilion with a growing sense of disquiet. Bad enough that the lagoon had been empty save for the dogs. This is clearly somebody's home, and just as clearly it's been abandoned. In a hurry, if she's any judge - that, or the baiji and his people leave their things strewn messily about the floor as a matter of habit. Not impossible, dolphin-gods have a reputation for being carefree, but...

There could still be some perfectly innocuous explanation. Maybe the gods threw a party last night, and everybody is too busy sleeping off the hangover to clean up. Or greet visitors. Maybe the dogs are just anxious because nobody's paid attention to them all morning. Maybe her unease is just that feeling you get when you've been left alone in a stranger's house and you're not sure how much you're supposed to look around. Maybe.

"Can't say I've seen many spirit courts," she says to Valos, "but I don't think they're supposed to be this empty. I'm going to see if the dogs know what's going on; you want to take a look around inside while I do that?"

Kaworu
2016-10-02, 07:22 AM
Ye Thuza

Shi Mi nodded when looking at the Elder. So there has been some kind of spiritual change there and now there are no fish? Seems like something he should investigate.

Thank you Elder, indeed, I will talk with my sister. If something else should arise, please, feel free to come to me and talk about your concerns. For now I shall leave you alone. Goodbye and farewell - the monk said, leaving the man.

Shi Mi went out of the house and to the other Immaculate Monks, being sure that they will inform him about their procedings and what has been going around lately.

Yatogami Odin
2016-10-02, 09:40 PM

Valos grunts her affirmation. "If you are able to communicate with the spirits, then that would seem to be our best course of action. I will see what, if anything, I can turn up."

She swims forward slowly and carefully, her own thoughts mirroring Blue's, though to a much less detailed extent. The only spirit with whom she had any significant experience was her master, and his sanctum followed a much different paradigm. Her attention is drawn primarily to the gleaming pearl on the wall, which promised to be of somewhat more interest than the scattered articles on the floor. She does, however, keep an eye out for signs of foul play as she passes over them.

Will (Perception 3 + Awareness 3) fly here, or would she have to use Investigation? I'll roll the six and you can chop off the ones at the end as the situation demands.

[roll0]

Failed Phantasm
2016-10-03, 08:16 PM
Keeper idly swirled the tea in his cup as he listened to the others speak of the ontology of gods. His attention flicked from one to the next, watching their expressions, listening to the tones of their voices. ‘Why would one from Coral ask that question?’ he asked himself. ‘Curious.’ He politely raised the cup to his lips so as not to overtly offend his host’s hospitality, and, with his eyes closed, he listened to the third man speak. ‘And yours is an accent I cannot place.’ He set the cup down. ‘Interesting.’

When the priestess spoke to Keeper directly once more, he leaned forward and steepled his fingers. “I would gladly defer to your wisdom on the matter, priestess,” he said silkily; “And, dare I say, your experience?” He had not missed that note of rancor. ‘This “Sarathi” must be the newly-arrived Immaculate that Laughing Gull mentioned,‘ he thought, frowning slightly behind his mask. ‘But I’m still missing something here. The Immaculates are usually more public about cowing the local spirit courts.’

CONDITION

➜ Personal 15 / 16

Ifni
2016-10-08, 01:17 PM
The Immaculate Shrine

Asking around gets Shi Mi directions to the whitewashed stone building two ridges over - although in the process he collects several looks of doubt and curiosity, trepidation and even fear.

When he reaches the building, it is as small as it looked from a distance; there are probably only a few rooms inside. The single wooden door - again newly whitewashed - hangs slightly open. The sandy path that leads to the building is freshly swept, and the flowerbeds on either side of the door seem well tended. The mon symbols of the Immaculate Dragons are painted around the door, each in its own distinctive color, with the symbol of Daana'd given pride of place over the lintel.

A wooden board stands outside the shrine, painted in large letters with the words:

SERVICES AT DAWN, NOON, DUSK
BE NOURISHED IN BODY AND SPIRIT
ALL ARE WELCOME

The words are written in Low Realm, but below there is a translation in Seatongue.

The building next door barely merits the name; heavy wooden columns hold up a thatched roof, providing a large, unwalled, shaded space. Woven grass mats are laid on the "floor", and a long table stands at the end closest to the shrine. There is an open stone fire-pit next to the table, with supports on each side for a spit. Long strips of parchment are nailed to the columns; they are carefully calligraphed in Seatongue with the Five Noble Insights and the Five Diligent Practices.

A middle-aged woman is laying wood and kindling in the fire-pit; she straightens up as Shi Mi approaches. She wears a robe of soft linen, and a belt of woven wool, dyed so deep a blue it is almost black. A light gray fringed shawl covers her shoulders, woven with a pattern of a black triangle in a blue circle. Her head is shaved to the scalp; her skin is a soft brown, somewhat darker than the common shade on the islands, and her eyes are dark blue.

"You are a little early for the noon service -" she begins, in Seatongue with a noticeable Realm accent, and then pauses. "Ah, no, you are not from around here, are you?"

The Shrine of Akeakamai

"Too much experience, yes," Azure Wisdom assents with a sigh. "That said - you know your skills better than I do, and I don't presume to tell you where they can best be of use."

She looks back at Dian and Riarde. "Whether or not our friend of Skullstone joins you - I have three suggestions for where you might begin the search. My father has a sanctum off the coast, as I mentioned, in a coral atoll; I can give you directions. I have swum out there in dolphin-shape, and found it empty and abandoned, save for his dogs. But there might well be clues I missed - I don't have much experience with crime scenes. I tried to leave everything as I found it. His dogs seemed still fairly calm, but they'll go feral eventually if left untended, so be careful. You may need to get one of them to take you in to the sanctum - they're reasonably intelligent, and understand Old Realm." She pauses. "Do any of you speak Old Realm? If not I can give you some simple phrases to use."

"Second, my father often summoned the temple divers to assist him. Consequently, they were the last people to spend an extended period of time with him. They're out working at the moment, but should be back this evening if you would like to question them. I've already spoken with them, of course, but... again, you might notice something I missed."

"Third, you might seek aid from the Old Man of the Sea. His home is also not that far from here, by ship, and knowledge is part of his domain. Unlike the first two approaches, this is something I haven't tried - his sanctum is further than I can easily swim, and from what I've been told, his gate-guards don't let people in unless they consider them sufficiently interesting. I suspect... you might have a bit of an edge there." She smiles briefly at the three men, before her expression becomes serious again.

She rises and goes into one of the other rooms, coming back with two bags of the local bark-cloth, tied at the top with woven cords. She sets one down on the table, and opens the other, counting out three... teeth? They gleam pearly white in her hand, tinged faintly with blue. They are larger and sharper than human teeth.

"These are the teeth of vodonik, water elementals," the priestess explains. "Place them beneath your tongue and you will be able to breathe underwater. Take good care of these - they're relics of the temple, not easy to obtain, and I can't replace them if you lose them. If you encounter any vodonik, don't let them know you have the teeth, they may take it badly. There shouldn't be any in this area, but it was my father who kept out the more predatory elementals - vodonik, sirens, the like - so..." She shrugs, her face grim.

She unties the cord on the other bag and pushes it forward, letting them see the contents - gleaming pearls in irregular shapes, tinted softly in a range of colors.

"If you need an offering for Bashixun, you can take these with you. If you succeed in returning my father, I'll be able to give you this much and more, as a reward." Her smile turns a little wry. "I'm sure he'll be happy to relinquish his offerings for a little while, in exchange for his safe return."

Akeakamai's Sanctum

Walking over to the pearl, Valos sees no obvious signs of violence beyond the broken and scattered objects - no bloodstains or corpses. (On the other hand, do water elementals bleed?) The pearl is not set in the wall but loose; it looks like it might have rolled into a corner and been disregarded. Or perhaps those who were last here had little care for pearls.

The smaller rooms, when she checks, include several bedrooms that appear to be designed for human body-types, with seagrass pallets laid on the smooth coral - but the seagrass is starting to smell unpleasant, as if it hasn't been aired for a few weeks. One of the rooms actually has a door - made from polished coconut wood, banded with the white coral - but it is hanging loose and half off its hinges; its lock has been smashed.

The room beyond that door holds a handsome coconut-wood desk, with the legs carved with waves and leaping dolphins. On the right-hand corner of the desk, a delicate bubble of blown glass holds a dancing blue flame. The desk drawers have been left open; inside, Valos can see sheaves of fine silk paper, and vials of dark ink.

Yatogami, can you reroll that? It looks like it didn't work. What I've given you is what you can get without a roll.

Perception+Awareness is appropriate for "what you notice on a quick scan", Perception+Investigation if you're taking the time to do a detailed search. (The latter will generally have substantially lower difficulties for the same level of information.) You can roll both, assuming you're willing to take 15 minutes for the Investigation action.

Kaworu
2016-10-08, 01:54 PM
Ye Thuza

Shi Mi went to the shrine of elemental dragons. He was kinda worried by looks other people gave him, but he supposed he could not change that right now... plus there were more urgent matters at hand. He entered the temple, looking around. Quite nice. It reminded him of home Ye Thuza had when still being a baby - what a shame that agents of Heaven took her away from there.

- Oh, welcome - the monk said joyfully in Seatongue - Yes, I am not from here and yes, I am not for the service either. My name is Shi Mi, I am a monk of the Immaculate Order. I am here with a religious mission, hovewer, as an Exalted, my major purpose is to serve the commonfolk. I have spoken already with the Elder and he told me that there are no fish and the people here could be starving quite soon. It worry me a lot and I would like to help. In order to do that I have to speak with other Immacvulaties here, since I believe this problem is both secular and teological. Are you perhaps my sister in faith?

OracleofSilence
2016-10-10, 06:00 PM
"I should be able to reach the sanctums without much difficulty, but I'm not sure how much help I'd be. As I mentioned, spirits aren't really my forte. Ummm. Lady Azure, have you seen any indication that the Immaculates actually are involved? I understand that they are well positioned to gain from the disappearance of your father, but unless there are actually Chosen among them, I somehow doubt that they could have captured a god alone." Better not to focus on how he would get to the Sanctums. Things could get awkward enough without trying to explain that he intended to swim himself.

The_Snark
2016-10-14, 12:02 PM
Meanwhile, Blue slips back beneath the waves, whistling to draw the dogs' attention. (Whistling underwater is a bit of a trick, but Blue'd known it was possible from listening to dolphins, and spent some time figuring out how they did it.) She decides to start with her guide; if whatever happened was recent she might've missed it, but that in and of itself would tell them something.

"Hey, girl," she whuffs in dog-speech, holding out a hand. For all of the brine cur's teeth, paddle-shaped paws and sevenfold razor-edged tongues, at heart she was just a dog missing her master. "What's wrong? Where are the people?"

Activating Dog-Tongue Method out of peripheral Essence; 1m, 1 Willpower.

Ifni
2016-10-15, 11:52 PM
The Immaculate Shrine

The woman looks Shi Mi over. "I am Sarathi, of the Third Coil. Vartabed of this temple, such as it is -" Her eyes twinkle, her smile turning slightly wry, "- and missionary to the people of Petraya."

She bows, placing her hands together. "Welcome, Exalted One; my humble temple is honored by the presence of one of the Wood Dragons."

She straightens up. "With regard to the fish problem - I brought all the supplies I could buy with me from Amphiro, when I first heard of the difficulties here. I've been rationing it out carefully, and I'm not worried about imminent starvation among the populace. But of course, your aid would be very welcome. You are an itinerant, I take it?"

We should at this point decide what rank Shi Mi is posing as. There are five Coils, higher numbers = higher rank (essentially the Coil number corresponds to one's Backing with the Order - Sarathi has Backing 3). Higher rank will give you more pull, but will increase the odds that someone will notice inconsistencies in your disguise; it would be uncommon for one of the top people in the Order to be traveling to the far West alone.

The Immaculate Order has several different traditions - there are temples and monasteries, individual ascetics, and wandering ("itinerant") monks. Monks in monasteries seclude themselves from the outside world to develop their Essence, copy scriptures, etc; the temple tradition serves the surrounding communities; ascetics are hermits who travel into the wilderness to seek enlightenment. The senior monk in a monastery is called the abbot, in a temple they're the vartabed, and sufficiently famous ascetics are called sybils. Sarathi is assuming (but asking for confirmation) that Shi Mi is an itinerant monk, not tied to any monastery/temple.

The Wyld Hunt is sponsored by the Order, but run as a somewhat separate organization with its own command structure (although ultimately it answers to the head of the Immaculate Order); members of the Wyld Hunt are called shikari, if you want to pose as one of those.

The Shrine of Akeakamai

Azure Wisdom shakes her head. "No real evidence, just the motive, and the very-convenient timing of the new monk's arrival. She tells people that she was on Amphiro, heard about our troubles, bought up all the long-lasting food she could find and convinced a Realm patrol ship to bring her over here, but..." She shakes her head, dissatisfied. "If that's true, she must have received the news and acted on it rather quickly. The timing isn't impossible, though, just tight."

"And as far as I know, she's not Exalted. She looks middle-aged, not young, and she doesn't have any of the markings of power that Exalted are said to carry. Old Kiro certainly isn't, and they're the only two Immaculates on the island, as far as I know."

"But whether she helped orchestrate my father's disappearance or not, she's certainly taking advantage of it. You could go talk to her, I suppose -" She looks a little uneasy. "As I said, I don't think there are any Dragon-Blooded on the island right now. But... there was that Realm ship that dropped her off. They might still be in the area. I'd rather not provoke open conflict unless it's absolutely necessary."

The Sanctum of Akeakamai

Valos' keen eyes catch sight of a long strand, caught between the broken door and its frame. It is translucent and pale blue in color, and waves gently, although there is little breeze within the pavilion. She also notices a scattering of small rough gray scales on the floor outside the door.

You can roll, hmm, Int+Lore and Int+Occult.

Also, of course, feel free to roll Perception+Investigation if you want to spend time looking around more carefully.

The brine cur whines, still staring at the pavilion. <Gone! Nobody home. Where is master? Wanted to tell him about octopus-man. Away with little fin-folk? But water-sisters should be here to feed me. Hungry.>

One of the other dogs swims over to her and licks at her fur, then tilts its great head toward Blue. <Gone for long and long time. Since the eaters came. Angry angry -> It barks gruffly. <Wanted to bite them. But Kuroshio said no, no biting, down dogs. Then went away. Miss them.> It whines quietly.

Kaworu
2016-10-17, 09:28 AM
Ye Thuza

- Oh, I am just a wandering monk, moving from place to place and trying to help the commonfolk whenever I can. Nothing too fancy, I assume you - Shi Mi smiled at her - Do you know the reason why the people could starve? It seems for me very unlikely if there are fish in the sea and suddenly there aren't. Suspicious, I would say. If we know the reason we can start working on it, if not, our first step should be to find out one and then react accordingly.

The_Snark
2016-10-20, 01:21 AM
Blue listens, uttering little yips of sympathy where appropriate. About what she'd expected, but it was good to get her suspicions confirmed. Definitely something wrong here, but whatever happened wasn't violent, else the dogs wouldn't still be here. "Is bad! Where did master and sisters go? Could you follow?" She pauses deliberately, to make the separation between that line of questions and the next clear. "What are eaters? Where are they? Look like what?"

Yatogami Odin
2016-10-20, 11:39 AM

Valos approaches the strand as delicately as she can manage, digging through her meager stores of occult lore. 'What exactly transpired here? I am unsuited for this sort of investigation, but I must not fail my master. I will bring what skills I have to bear.'

Should her analysis fail, she intends to step back and inspect the sanctum more meticulously to compensate for her poor skills.
So, two dice and three dice for those first two rolls. Excellent. ;-P

[roll0]
[roll1]

The Investigation roll will hopefully bear more fruit, though it's only one die more.

[roll2]

Ifni
2016-10-31, 02:21 AM
The Immaculate Shrine

"Well, it's probably related to their local sea-god pulling a disappearing act," the Immaculate says dryly. "I suspect he's been protecting them from the consequences of overfishing for some time, herding more fish into the area, and now he's not doing that anymore..." She shrugs. "I don't know exactly what caused him to vanish - as you know, unregulated spirit courts are constantly bickering, so it wouldn't be surprising if he had enemies. But he is - or was - a dolphin-god, and those aren't exactly known for their reliability, either."

She sighs. "I feel sorry for the people here. But that's what happens when mortals put their trust in spirits. While it may be a shock to them to be so abandoned, I hope we can use it to good ends, to teach them to put their faith in themselves and their communities, rather than relying on godly handouts in exchange for their worship." She grimaces as she glances at the table and the fire-pit. "I don't want this to be long-term; people shouldn't be dependent on the temple for their daily sustenance, either. Daana'd always prized self-reliance. But I don't think she would have disapproved of short-term aid."

The Sanctum of Akeakamai

Valos finds herself a little lost, in exploring the empty pavilion; it's difficult to tell what's relevant and what's not. Studying the scales and the pale strand, she is almost certain the scales are from shark-skin, or some similar substance. The strand looks like hair, but not human hair; it likely belongs to some water-spirit, perhaps a nymph or siren.

<Master goes away all the time>, Blue's original guide complains. <Goes diving with little fins, finds shells on sea-bottom. Says no dogs, not allowed inside, will break things. Would not.>

<But never this long>, the other cur whines plaintively. <And came back with fin-folk. Then went away again, not to dive, just to hunt...> It whimpers, a puppyish sound.

<Water-sisters left later>, another cur joins in, swimming over and pushing its head close to Blue. <After eaters. Said bad dogs, bad at hiding. Stay here. Tried to follow. Couldn't scent them.>

<Went into water? Smell only like water. Not fair when they hide>, complains Blue's guide.

<Gray eaters>, the newest cur yips in response to Blue's later questions. <Gray eaters of many teeth. Scent blood, steal prey from us. Her pack.>

Sorry for the delay in posting - work continues to be hectic.

The Solaroid group has been quiet. The priestess has given you a few possible directions, it's now up to you to decide what you want to do.

Kaworu
2016-10-31, 06:41 AM
Ye Thuza

Ye Thuza was thinking fast. It seemed EXACTLY like something she was send her to check out! Was is a doing of corrupted Bronze caste? Most probably. Now only to do the puzzle, save the day and punish guilty. But how?

- Hm...- Shi Mi went silent for a while - As a Exalted, it is my duty to deal with rogue spirits. It seems like I should do something. I would like to check out on this dolphin god. The problem is, I am not a Water aspect and I cannot breath underwater. I do not suspect I would find him and persuade him to do his duties on land, wouldn't I? I really, really want to help and as an Martial Artist I would probably win with him if he would like to fight, but the current problem is to find him. Probably somewhere deep in the ocean. Do you have any idea what I could do?

OracleofSilence
2016-10-31, 04:27 PM
"Of course, my Lady." Dian rises to his feet after taking a few more sips of the tea. "In that case. we should probably get started. I'll double check Akeakamai's Sanctum, before going to the Old Man of the Sea. If all goes well, I will be back in a few hours. If I may have one of the teeth?" Assuming a quick search didn't turn up any sources of breath, the teeth would be helpful.

Ifni
2016-10-31, 10:40 PM
The Immaculate Shrine

The monk grimaces. "Finding a dolphin-god in the Western ocean seems difficult, yes. And honestly, it might be better for the people here to make a clean break." She taps her fingers together. "If you deal with the spirit courts, Chosen - perhaps you could find a new god to take over management of the fish stocks, one already properly included in the Calendar, and on good terms with our Order? That would certainly make things easier."

"I've only just arrived here, so I don't know much about the local spirit courts. You could ask my predecessor, Honored Kiro, but honestly -" She lowers her voice, "- he's been here for a long time, and it shows. He's very aged, and has earned an honorable retirement, but his title is mostly a courtesy these days; I wouldn't rely on him for prompt aid."

"The most knowledgeable people are probably the local priests, but of course, they're not likely to want to cooperate with one of our Order. Not unless you're far more persuasive than I am, anyway." Sarathi smiles ruefully. "I can point you to some of the shrines, but if you want to follow that path, I might suggest disguising your nature - threats and martial skill do well enough to compel obedience, but it's harder to use them to gain useful suggestions when the answers aren't obvious. And forgive me, Chosen, but the natives here are far less deferential to the Exalted than is the custom of the Realm."

Akeakamai's Shrine

"That's why I brought them out," Azure Wisdom replies with a faint smile. "You're welcome to one." She pushes a tooth across the table to Dian. "Wait a moment and I'll get you a map."

The map she provides is more of a sea-chart, with the land only sketched but depth measurements and currents marked clearly. The priestess points out a small atoll a few miles south-east of Petraya as the location of Akeakamai's sanctum, and - after retrieving a larger-scale and less detailed map - a more distant atoll as the home of the Old Man of the Sea.

"I will pray for your success, my l-" She catches herself, and her smile turns slightly embarrassed. "My friend."

Oracle, feel free to describe your travel out to Akeakamai's sanctum, if that's your plan. If the other Solar(oids) choose to go investigate the sanctum, they may either describe their journeys separately when they get around to posting, or just assume they've been tagging along with you, if they have the ability to do so and Dian wouldn't have stopped them.

The_Snark
2016-10-31, 11:41 PM
Gray, toothy, drawn to the scent of blood... ah. Any sailor could tell you what that means. But what business did Siakal's children have with Akeakamai? This is starting to sound like local politics, and Blue isn't sure she can get a clear political summary out of the dogs... She absently offers scritches to the newcomer while she thinks.

"Where are eaters?" she asks after a few moments. "Territory? Can you find them?"

OracleofSilence
2016-11-01, 04:48 AM
Dian is momently taken aback, appearing perhaps just the slightest shade uncomfortable, before the old habits kick in. He takes the tooth, smiling as graciously as he can manage. "And mine with your father, Lady Azure." Dian inclines his head to the Priestess, captain, and "friend from Skullstone", before turning and heading out of the pavilion. He leaves the beach, quickly snagging a small crab scuttling along the rocks as he does so, before finding a somewhat more secluded spot, out of sight of the pavilion, to complete his preparations. Smashfists: worn. Sandals: looped through his belt. Crab: cracked and dead, breath, or whatever counted for it, wafting into his lungs. Dian dives.

After an almost natural swim through the breakwater Dian submerges himself , aligned as closely as possible towards the area of the Dolphin God's sanctum, then erupts simultaneously into a sickening swirl of black tendrils and dizzying motion racing at impossible speed through the depths, before jerking to a halt just as suddenly, tentacles vanished. The trip to the atoll had been... underwhelmingly short. Still, it would be best to take this part of the approach more sedately, out of respect for the God's servants if nothing else. And to make them somewhat less likely to attempt something unpleasant as well. So the final descent is made at a calm pace, at least by Dian's standards, swimming normally, rather then giving in to the seductive call of the sea's essence. Now, to find a gate, or a gatekeeper...

Using Sacred Kamilla's Inhalation on the crab. Dian is essence 3, so that'll last him for a day. With regards to travel time, his base dash speed is 17. Activating Racing Vitaris brings it to 51. Mother Sea Mastery brings it to 153. This is around 312 miles per hour, so the trip is most likely measured in seconds for him. On arrival, he stops moving to deactivate the charm, because screw explaining that.

Perception+Awareness to find the actual entrance, or someone that will show him the way in. Speeectacular. [roll0]

Personal: 13/19
Peripheral: whatever it is by default, - bound artifacts.

Kaworu
2016-11-01, 06:41 AM
Ye Thuza

- I would like to talk to local priest, I think - stated Shi Mi - It would be great to assess more information before I will do anything. However, I will not disquise myself - that would be simply dishororable. Fear not, I am as persuasive as I am good with combat. Please, tell me addresses of those shines and I will be on my way. - he ended.

Ye Thuza had still no idea how to breath underwater or find the god, so temples seemed for her like a good starting point.

Yatogami Odin
2016-11-03, 02:49 PM

Valos frowns at her own inadequacy, and resolves to simply take what physical evidence she can and bring it to her Lunar comrade, who might prove better able to make sense of it. She looks about for a scrap of cloth with which to pick up the scales and strand, that she need not touch them with her own hands.

Ifni
2016-11-13, 04:08 PM
The Immaculate Shrine (Ye Thuza)

Sarathi steeples her hands, and considers for a few moments. "Let me be clear." Her demeanor changes, less deferential, more a senior addressing a subordinate. "A lack of cultural awareness on your part could have severe consequences for our mission here; if you cause problems, I will publicly disavow your actions. In particular, any threats or physical harm to one of the local leaders would dismantle much of the progress I have made here; it is important we keep the moral high ground. Do you understand?"

She waits for Shi Mi to assent before going on. "There are many shrines run by acolytes nearby, but the closest headquarters of the faith of the missing sea-god is out of town, along the coast. If you can arrange a boat to take you, it should only be an hour or two, even rowing; faster if you sail and the wind is with you, but you'll need a small boat to get into the harbor. If you must walk... a half-day perhaps, around the rocks, unless you have magic to move easily through the jungle. The leader there is a priestess called Azure Wisdom, a half-mortal bastard of the missing god."

If Ye Thuza heads to the shrine, you can assume she arrives there before Riarde and the Keeper leave, unless one of them posts in the meantime. The description of the shrine has not changed since the earlier posts.

Akeakamai's Sanctum (Blue, Valos)

Valos tears some cloth of one of the seagrass pallets to wrap the scales and strand of hair, and brings them over to Blue. The dogs begin to yap at her approach, chattering - to Blue's ears - about the smell of the Eaters, the scent of the "water-sisters". A little investigation clarifies that the dogs associate the gray scales with the Eaters, and the pale strand with the water-sisters.

The dogs seem uneasy at Blue's request, their tails tucked tight between their legs; the pack mills around worriedly, sending waves across the lagoon. Blue's guide pushes its nose against her, as if seeking reassurance. <Eaters don't like dogs. Don't like master's people either. Territory is... away, out in ocean. Know the way - can smell the blood - but...> She whines.

Can I get a social attack roll from Blue?

At the same time, one of the dogs abruptly yips loudly <Intruder!> It dives and swims outward, toward the gap in the reef; a pair of others follow after it.

Outside Akeakamai's Sanctum (Dian)

The day is clear and the water warm, but the trip out has revealed waters that seem oddly devoid of large sea-life. Approaching the ring atoll, there is little to see above water, but below the surface a wall of coral rises up from the shallow ocean floor. There is a gap in that wall - a gap made more obvious by the trio of dog-like elementals now emerging from it to rush toward Dian, barking and snarling, white foam dripping from their knife-like fangs.

The_Snark
2016-11-13, 05:18 PM
"Sharkscale," Blue says confidently of the first object. "The dogs are talking about 'eaters', I figure there's a tribe of Shadow Swimmers near here, or some such. That's sharks mixed with men. Maybe siaka. They're not Akeakamai's, the dogs don't like 'em." She frowns at the strand of hair. "Dogs say that smells like 'water-sisters'. Don't know exactly what that means, but they're part of Akeakamai's court."

Blue's guide-cur gets a hug and reassuring head-scritches. <Am bigger then them,> she reminds it firmly. <Will keep safe. Maybe they know where Master goes? Want to find him.>

Charisma + Presence, spending 4m personal on Charisma Excellency:
[roll0]
Stunt: [roll1]
She twists in the water to watch as some of the dogs dart for the entrance, tail stirring, but doesn't follow just yet - seems odd to act as doorman for a place that isn't hers. She glances at Valos, an eyebrow raised: what do you think?

OracleofSilence
2016-11-13, 06:45 PM
Ah. Well, she said they spoke Old Realm. <"Peace! I mean no harm. I was sent by Azure Wisdom, daughter of Akeakamai, to aid in the search for your master. I... uh. Wait. Hmm. Oh Right. Could you let me in? To the Sanctum. I wish to see the scene for myself."> Now to wait and hope that 'reasonably intelligent' didn't cover things like being suspicious of human shaped things that could speak underwater.

If this deserves a roll, I'll post it in the OOC when I'm not on my phone.

Kaworu
2016-11-14, 01:03 PM
Ye Thuza

- Thank you, sister - stated Shi Mi - I am not an aggresive person, I will not harm anybody. I just want to find the god so people here have something to eat. I have no hidden motives. I will really hard to not bring dishonor to you or the Immaculate's philosophy. I know that I am first and foremost a martial artist, but as I said, I can be pretty persuasive. Of course, if I will do something bad you have the full authority and moral right to decry me.

After saing his farewell, Shi Mi went to the local fishmen and asked them for transportation. Some money were exchanged and he was on his way.

~*~

When the boat came to the right place, Shi Mi thanked his guide and asked him to wait for him. Then, he went to the temple.

- Welcome. Are you the priest of the dolphin god? My name is Shi Mi, I am the monk of Immaculate faith and... oh, I see you have guests - he was kinda embarassed. Maybe he should knock on the door instead of coming right through it?

- I hope I am not interrupting anything? I will be brief, I want to help you, but I do not know how, so I came here. Hm... can I come in?

Yatogami Odin
2016-11-18, 09:28 AM
Valos of the Deep Trenches (https://docs.google.com/document/d/140dfSLD_VmzQoe-8YAqLx6oan9DsSuKpCB7kwdNNys/edit?usp=sharing)

"Siaka," Valos echoes morosely; the bad blood between Siakal and Zhuzhiao rises to the forefront of her mind. She opens her mouth to speak, but the dogs' disturbance cuts off the words on her lips. She narrows her eyes and, after a quick jerk of her head, swims off after the startled stewards.

As she travels, Valos wills her armor to take on its natural shape to better advertise her readiness to receive unsavory guests. 'The dogs would not react that way to a welcome visitor; it must be another stranger at the threshold. I shall greet them with my full splendor!'

Leaving the honors of first reaction to Dian; a weresquid in plate armor ought to make a good impression. ;-P

Ifni
2016-11-21, 12:08 AM
Akeakamai's Sanctum (Dian, Blue, Valos)

Blue's guide pauses, and then licks her face. <Yes. We help you find Master. Then big dragon-sister keep Master safe.> More of the curs cluster around the Lunar and her guide, apparently on board with this plan. The first cur blows out a spray of foam and bubbles, and wags its tail. <Now?>

~

Outside the sanctum, the curs approach Dian warily, circling him. Close up, he can see that their tongues are split many ways, like strange corals or the tentacles of a squid; their "fur" is green as kelp. But their behavior is much like that of mortal guard-dogs. They begin herding him toward the gap in the coral wall -

- and then suddenly, another being emerges in that gap, apparently from nowhere.

The upper half of her body is that of a human woman, but of enormous size, with arms like tree-trunks. Her hair is a mane of indigo and violet shadows; the skin of her hands and face is likewise dusk-colored, where it does not gleam bright with delicate arcs and whorls of silver. But her human torso gives way to the long, graceful tentacles of a giant squid, dark as the sea at midnight except where the moonlight-silver tracery shines through. Great gleaming plates of moonsilver sheath the stranger's form, flowing effortlessly from shoulders to torso to tentacles; they do not seem to hamper her movement at all.

So much Dian has time to see, before his heart seems to skip a beat - and for a moment another image fills his eyes and seizes his mind, a waking dream that sweeps away all else.

The city is white and gold within its crystal domes, and the sky stretches green and blue and violet to the rippling mirror-silver surface far above. Silver shapes flit through that vast void, small pleasure-craft piloted by citizens. On another day, a warship might glide by, majestic as a whale among a pod of dolphins, but such visits are rare. This is not one of the great ports of the Western Ocean, just one of uncounted peaceful bubble-cities floating deep in the sunlit sea.

[So much he knows as if he’s always known it, as if he learned it in his cradle; as he knows the names of the Great Houses of the Scarlet Dynasty.]

But not like any other city, for She is here.

He is walking up steps of pale marble now, beneath those towers of white and gold, and the Other is running to meet him, her smile as glowing as the curve of the crescent moon. He steps into the circle of her outstretched arms and holds her close, and they stand still for a moment, breathing in heart’s ease with the end of their long parting.

Duty kept him at the center, trying to salvage what he could — but in this moment he wonders why he didn’t fling it all aside years ago, leave his peers to their poisoned golden games.

Ah well. They are together again now, and the lost years are nothing compared to the ages of their lives yet to come. There will be duties here too, of course, and tasks to grind down this joy - but he knows he will always hold close the memory of this moment, this pure and perfect contentment, at being once more where he was always meant to be.

Then the waking dream is gone, that moment of warmth and light and pure happiness vanishing like a pricked soap-bubble. The curs and the squid-woman have not moved, as best as he can tell; the moment was only a moment, it seems, in the real world as in his mind.

~

Valos dives through the gap, swimming strongly, the dogs carrying her across the invisible threshold. She bursts through into water that is cooler, with less of the taste of life in it.

The brine curs are circling the intruder - a young man, entirely human in appearance, tiny compared to her might. Yet he hangs in the water comfortably, despite his breastplate of dark bronze made green-hued by the water, and he appears to be breathing. Metal gauntlets cover both hands, the fingers sharpened to points. His feet are bare; his sandals are looped through his belt. His skin is tanned, his hair flame-red, his eyes brilliantly green.

And there is the strangest feeling of familiarity about him - like someone she knew from her earliest childhood, but hasn't seen in many years. But he surely can't be Squalus, with that hair.

For a moment she tastes a strange savor in the water: like winter’s chill, and blood, and iron. As if that familiarity tugs on some memory sunk deep in abyssal depths, beyond easy reach; at the bottom of the whirlpool, where grief and secrets settle. It awakens a brief tug of yearning in her - for her true home in the deeps, where she belongs.

Only a moment, and then it is gone; the water is warm again, and tastes of nothing but salt.

As a note, while meeting one's mate seems like it should be noticeable (especially when a strong Past Life background is in play), if anyone feels constrained by what I wrote here, feel free to ask me to edit it. But hopefully this gives you some ideas to work from without being overly prescriptive of reactions.

OracleofSilence
2016-11-28, 05:53 PM
Oh. Well. That was unexpected. And what the hell was that? Belatedly, Dian realized that he had been staring like some type of slack jawed idiot. That simply would not do. The normal approach didn't really seem appropriate right now either...

Dian manages to straighten, and produces a relatively proper bow, despite being underwater. "Hello, pleased to meet you and all that. Now, I'm assuming you're here to find Akeakamai as well? If not, well... perhaps I can convince you?" The inquiry ends with an odd semi-quaver and a slight wince from Dian. Oh Dragons, it was REALLY hard to get a good throaty purr underwater. Regardless, his smile is easy and open, with perhaps the slightest touch of ill-concealed something as well.

Yatogami Odin
2016-11-30, 10:45 PM

Valos gasps and shudders in spite of herself; her heart jumps with surprise, fear, and some strange longing she cannot quite place. However, it is gone before she can make heads or tails of it. What she finds certain, however, is that there is more to this red-headed man than it initially seemed.

Her lips press into a firm line as she silently circles the stranger. 'Human to the eye, and yet able to remain here so far below the surface without any sign of discomfort. Clearly he must have some magic, all the more for bewitching my heart so. I would say he is likely a god, but no acquaintance of Akeakamai. '

She jets back to her original location between him and the passage to the inner sanctum. Spreading her tentacles wide, she solemnly intones, "I am Valos, scion of the High Princep of the Deep Trenches. It is on his authority that I have come to visit Akeakamai. Identify yourself and whom you serve." She lets an unspoken threat hang in the water between them.

Failed Phantasm
2016-11-30, 11:28 PM
Keeper had tucked a vodonik tooth into one of the many folds of his robes and was contemplating his next move, only absentmindedly acknowledging the pouch of pearls the priestess pushed their way. ‘It might take hours to reach and then thoroughly search the sanctum, and the pearl divers won’t be returning until evening anyway.’ he thought; ‘So it seems the more prudent choice to go directly to the Old Man of the Sea and petition his advice. Moreso if he is the only as-yet unexplored avenue of inquiry.’ The difficulty would be in making the journey: he could not impose on Laughing Gull’s hospitality to such a great extent, and the man could not have known to prepare for such a venture into open sea anyway. He considered the man with the Coral accent and the sickeningly naοve attitude — how had he made his way here? — but it took him little more than a moment of this before he started weighing the merits of simply swimming the distance. It only occurred to him how much time had passed when a most unwelcome visitor burst through the priestess’ front door.

It was at such times that Keeper was grateful for his mask; without it, the look of naked hate on his face would have surely made the proceedings even more difficult than they had just become. As is, there was nothing to see but a faηade of blank stoicness and the ever-so-brief flash in his eyes in the instant between his losing control and regaining his composure. In response to the Immaculate’s introduction, he said: «Not at all, O Prince of the Earth,» in the most formal High Realm he could manage, with the most graciously humble tone of voice he could muster. «My—» he shot the briefest of sideways glances towards Riarde, taking an equally brief pause before continuing again «—companion and I surely have no business more important than that of one of the honorable Immaculates.» To Azure Wisdom, he said, “With your leave, priestess, I think we shall pay a visit to your elderly friend.”

‘Or at least have the good sense to discuss it somewhere else,’ he thought.

CONDITION

➜ Personal 15 / 16

OracleofSilence
2016-12-01, 01:07 AM
Okay. This was more familiar. No sudden visions, thank the gods for that, and threats from supernatural beings was nothing new. Fun? Fun. Something to settle these damn nerves at least... "Dian! And pleased beyond words to meet you, my Lady. May I call you that, by the way? Wouldn't want to offend. And right now, I serve a priest from the Island. But between you and me, it's more a whim of the moment kind of thing."

As he speaks, Dian moves as well, subtle flicks of his arms and feet propelling him up to slightly below a standard jogging pace, his course a slightly tightening path around Valos. If Dian noticed the threat at all, he certainly didn't react to it, instead taking the time to examine the massive being in front of him. "Ummm. Not to be rude, but who is this High Princep again? I can't say I've ever met anyone by that name." Ah. Good. The unsightly gaping seemed to be under control. Why was talking to an attractive weresquid who could either throw him into random hallucinations or was connected to the Old Man somehow like a normal person so damn HARD?

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-01, 09:28 AM

'Irreverent. Crude. Ignorant. If he is a god, this could be an act or a cleverly constructed insult. Still, I must not stoop to his apparent level, lest this be some secret test of character - the gods are prone to such things.'

Valos gently floats off to the side to allow Dian's passage. "That is but one of my master's many titles. You may know him as Zhuzhiao," she says evenly.

"Tell me more about this priest whom you serve; I have only just arrived in the area myself on my master's orders, so I am not privy to any local spiritual disturbances, and disturbance there must be if you have been sent to seek out Akeakamai as I have."

She watches Dian carefully for any reaction to her words. 'My sister is likely still inside the sanctum conversing with the other dogs. I need not mention her to this stranger, though would that I could send her a message about him.'

Ifni
2016-12-03, 02:25 PM
Azure Wisdom nods calmly to Keeper, but it does not take great perception to see the sudden flaring tension in her muscles. "I am sure the old man would be glad to see you; he has so few visitors. It is some way to his home, so you should get started."

"Although I do not know what business would bring one of the Dragons' Chosen here," she continues to Shi Mi. "With respect, honored Immaculate -" And it does not take great perception, either, to hear the edge of suppressed anger behind the polite words, "We can take care of ourselves here; your offer of help is appreciated but unnecessary. I am sorry you made the walk from town for so little purpose. I was not aware of any Dragon-Blooded on Petraya; are you recently arrived?"

Kaworu
2016-12-03, 05:09 PM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal sweared in her mind. It was obvious to her that Dragon-Blooded were not welcomed here. She was considering for a moment to cast aside her magical disguise and state her business as herself, but that would be too complicated - at least socially, not pohysically, obviously. But since she had said "A" she should said "B". That follows naturally.

- Priestess, I want you to reconsider. I suppose you do not like me or what I am representing. This is understandable given our philosophy. I also know that my sister in faith from the local temple was very... she did not like your father. But that does not matter. What does is that the people on this island can starve to death if we will not do something. Our aim is common, so should be our efforts. I offer you all my Immaculate power and training. It would be foolish and selfish to refuse only because we have some differences. Think what you will think of me, but I want to genuinely help you and your people. We do not know what happened to the doplin god and what resources will be necessary to overcome obstacles on our path. You do not have to like me, although I did not do you any unkindness. But I am afraid if we have to bring your father back, we have to cooperate. - said Shi Mi.

Then, slowly, as if he were afraid to startle the priestess, he hold up his hand, ready to shake hers.

- Will you let me help?

OracleofSilence
2016-12-04, 07:15 AM
"Serve is a bit of a strong word. She was asking for help, so I offered it. Regardless, she is Akeakamai's daughter. Her shrine is located on a rather pleasant atoll back that way." Dian jerks his head back in the direction of the island.

Well, he seemed to have calmed down by now, but something about the way this woman was speaking seemed off. Could just be old fashioned, but "my master?" "The priest you serve?" Why in Creation would I serve a priest?. Odd. Extremely odd. Intriguing, to be sure, but odd. "Well then milady, I answered your question, now I get to ask one too. Did you notice anything a bit... odd a bit ago? Just now really, basically as soon as you showed up here."

Ifni
2016-12-05, 12:45 AM
Akeakamai's Shrine

For a moment, it seems that the priestess' black eyes are softening, that she might be willing to listen. But then - as the door swings closed behind Keeper as he leaves, with a last glance over his shoulder at the little tableau inside the shrine - her gaze hardens again. She pointedly keeps her hands at her sides.

"Illustrious sir," she says, biting off her words, "if you have not yet managed to track down my father, be assured I will not help lure him out for you."

"I know what your help means. Your 'kindness'. Oh, you'll feed us and protect us and provide for our spiritual well-being - provided we recite your texts that tell us never to reach beyond our station, and abandon the gods of our ancestors, and bow and scrape before the Dragons' kin. Do you think I don't know what your Order teaches? What you do to gods who resist you, and the 'heretics' who worship them?"

"Leave this place." Her hands are clenched into fists at her sides. Despite her defiance, her voice trembles; she is obviously afraid. "You are not welcome in this temple, or on this island. If you want to help, if you want to prove you're not just waiting to hurt or kill my father as soon as he emerges - that's what you're trained to do, in your monasteries, isn't it?" She takes a deep breath. "Then leave Petraya. And get your 'sister-in-faith' out of here as well. We will take care of our own."

Social attack comes back the other way! She's trying to persuade Shi Mi to leave peacefully. And since prayer requires high-difficulty Charisma + Performance rolls, she's reasonably good at it. She is also channeling Conviction and spending some motes on the Excellency.

[roll0]+1 success

Kaworu
2016-12-05, 07:48 AM
Ye Thuza

Hm... she should have seen it. The priestess was serving to the god who was getting to much prayers - something that Dragon Blooded sooner or later would have "repaired". She has the very point - about gods, heretics, about all of it. If Shi Mi was a real person, he would have not be able to convince the woman about his good intentions.

Furtunately, Shi Mi was only an act.

Ye Thuza has made a simple, yet powerful gesture, casting aside both her illusion and a destiny she was wearing. Now she was herself again - and speaking with the very authority of Yu Shan.

She was of middle height, pale as marble with rose-red lips and long, beautiful, dark, shining hair. She has also eyes deep and blue like an ocean. She was one of the most beautiful women anyone ever saw.

- Welcome, priestess - sha said in a soft voice - I am sorry for shocking you, but I am afraid that Shi Mi never was. I fully invented that person - she smiled - My true name is Ye Thuza, I am a Sidereal Exalted and serve under Venus in the Celestrial Bureaucracy, Bureau of Destiny.

My mission here was to gather some information about rogue Sidereal who would have to do something bad. But when I got here, I realized that problems with your father are far more important - at least for the local community, so I changed my priorities. I had my first "disguise" because I did not know what happened here, also it was good because my Sifu teaches Immaculate Martial Arts which I learned from him. If I had known what situation looks like I surely would have different "dramatis persona" for this mission. Oops, my bad.

Although Shi Mi never was, his intentions - my intentions - were true. I really want to help you and your father. Shi Mi was speaking with the voice of Realm and Immaculates, but I speak with the voice of Yu Shan. I'm sure Heaven would like for this island to remain as it is.

I'm afraid that if your father will not return, you all can starve to death - or fall into hands of someone who will "priovide" food for you. Who will that be? Guild of slavers? Realm's ships? Maybe some Deathlord? If you want to survive, your only choice if to bring the doplin god back. I am here to help, as an agent of Heaven.

Also, I would like to give you a short lecture about Sidereal politics. We all cooperate and are each other mentors, friends and coworkers. Hovewer, due to some prophercy, in ancient times we have diveded into Bronze Fraction and Golden Fraction. Broznes stand behind Realm, The Empress, Immaculate Philozophy and Wyld Hunt. Golden ones want to bring Creation back as it was before the Uzurpation - it is, before Dragon Blooded stoled the world from Solars.

Personally, I am of Golden Fraction. I have nothing to do with Realm - with the exception I was born on the Blessed Isle and know Wood Dragon Style of Martial Arts.

Will you let me help you now, when you know who I truly am and what I am representing?

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-05, 09:22 AM

Valos frowns - she likes the new arrival less and less with every word out of his mouth, and it shows. "A daughter, you say. I suppose she would be the natural one to approach in a situation like this."

She shakes her head both in response to Dian's question and in an attempt to clear her thoughts. "As I mentioned earlier, I only just arrived myself. This was my first destination, and I was not here long before the dogs indicated your arrival. If odd occurrences are what you seek, your own presence is foremost in my mind; before that I had been investigating the sanctum here, where there is some evidence of foul play. Alas, I lack the forensic insight to make much of it. Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will prove useful."

Aevylmar
2016-12-06, 01:32 AM
His first instinct, when an Immaculate Monk showed up, was to reach for the firebombs. His second instinct was to delay this for the consideration of the lady priestess, she being disinclined to have her home burned down, and then he could have a nice jog after the Monk and alter her essential configuration in a more southernly manner when there was no one to complain.

Then...

ggkh. Good-looking was one thing. This...

His flustered state lasted a long moment, and he acted on instinct.

"You're representing the heroes of Heaven," says Captain Riarde, removing his hat with a bow. "What else is there we have to know? What you say about the island's fate is absolutely true, and I see no reason why we can't all work together to save the lives of the people of Petraya."

OracleofSilence
2016-12-06, 06:41 AM
"Well, I'd be happy to take a look, but fair warning, I am absolutely the wrong person for the job." Ohhh the curiosity was actually starting to bother him now. Unfortunately, this Valos seemed a bit... stuffy? Uptight? Old-fashioned? Regardless, she'd probably take it the wrong way. "But, if you don't mind another question, what about my presence is odd exactly? It's the speaking underwater, isn't it." Dian conjures an comically morose expression. "People always get so put off by it, but I always say 'listen, the alternative is a WHOLE lot of gagging.' I mean, I can swap to that if you prefer, but salt water disagrees with my lungs."

Ifni
2016-12-06, 11:58 PM
Akeakamai's Shrine

Azure Wisdom stares at Ye Thuza for a long moment, her lips moving soundlessly as she struggles to absorb that flood of information.

Riarde's reaction seems to snap her out of it; she shakes her head (but not in disagreement, more as if she has something stuck there that she's trying to dislodge). "Er. Yes. That was not what I was expecting, but..." She studies Ye Thuza, and manages a weak smile. "It's certainly an improvement. I have heard only a little about the agents of Heaven - but if you oppose the Immaculates and wish to help restore my father, I'm certainly not going to argue." She slides a large white tooth across the table to Ye Thuza. "This will let you breathe underwater, if you set it beneath your tongue. And... well, if you and Captain Riarde intend to work together -" She nods at Riarde, "perhaps it's best that he fill you in on the way? I've already shared what information I have with him."

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-07, 01:52 AM

"That, among other things," Valos says stiffly. "You have the look of a human, but are clearly something more. I have seen little else of note in my short time here; I had in Akeakamai's sanctum for only a little while before I came out here to investigate what had riled up the dogs so."

She casts an eye about her to see if the dogs had calmed down any. "If anything, it would seem that you are the more informed between us. I should like to hear what Akeakamai's daughter had to say."

Kaworu
2016-12-07, 08:33 AM
Ye Thuza

Sidereal smiles, as she takes the tooth from the priestess - Thank you Azure Wisdom. You will not regret that.

- Captain Riarde, yes? - she cast a glance at the Solar - Pleased to meet you. Can I ask who are you? Certainly someone capable if you are at this meeting. I just wonder how much capable. - another smile.

OracleofSilence
2016-12-07, 06:08 PM
"All I know is that Akeakamai has vanished. Apparently the local priests don't know why, though there is another local god that might know something." Very old fashioned indeed, it would appear. More then human my foot. What human ever had to concentrate to not make a mess of a bath?

The curiosity was quite overwhelming now. What was she? She had the look of a moon chosen, but it was hard to be sure. And if she was, why serve what sounded like another god? ""Lady Valos, if you don't mind a personal question from a near stranger... What are you? I'll... try to offer some explanation in exchange, but since it seems we have a similar goal for now, I'd like to at least get to know you better. Besides, I'd be doing my family an incredible disservice if I did not at least attempt to know more of such an beauty."

Blunt and Tasteless Flattery Method, Goooooooooo. Rolls can go in OOC if Yatogami want's to make a social combat of it.

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-10, 06:30 PM

Valos' nostrils flare at Dian's words. "I mean no disrespect to your family, but your mind deceives you if you consider me a beauty. I am a warrior and a servant before I am a woman, and my attentions are best focused on the task at hand than the trivialities of courtship. If you wish to know me, it will be on a professional basis."

She shakes her head, allowing to mood to settle somewhat before speaking again. "I was a slave once, and now I serve the High Princep of the Deep Trenches. My expertise does not lie in navigating the niceties of social interaction. Give me a boat to sail, a storm to brave, a wild beast to hunt; such are the endeavors for which I am suited."

OracleofSilence
2016-12-11, 04:04 AM
Huh. Right. That was worded poorly. "And I mean no disrespect you your past, or the hardships that you have suffered, but I consider my compliment both genuine and well earned, though I fear you might have misunderstood the intent with which I offered it." Dian's bearing has changed completely; any insouciance vanished, replaced with a practiced and careful formality. "My family, such as it is, would accept neither of us, regardless of appearance. I say this not to engender sympathy, but because a tasteless and unexplained reference to my past appears to have been misconstrued. As such, I offer my apologies, and though I refuse categorically to retract my appraisal of you, I hope I have not caused offense, and if I have, I will do what I can to make amends." The formality hurt. It really did. But there was sincerity behind Dian's words.

"But, somehow, I see that you did not answer the important part of my question. Are you chosen? Or Anathema, if you prefer? Mutation could explain some things, but one the other hand," Dian gestures meaningfully to the massive silver plate-armor and shining tatoos. "other factors would indicate..." While his expression and tone is still formal, perhaps the slightest hint of a smile dances around the edge of his voice.

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-11, 11:59 PM

Valos frowns at the change that has come over Dian. 'This man is difficult to read. Which is his true disposition? If anything, this showing makes more wary of his duplicity than receptive to his courtesy. Would that he had spoken to me in this manner to begin with, our conversation would have gone much differently.'

She shakes her head to clear her thoughts. "I am little able to conceal my nature, so there is no need for me to be oblique. Yes, I am a Child of the Burning Moon; would that you were initiated in its secrets, you could read the stories of my deeds emblazoned upon my body. For now, I trust that you have evidence enough simply from my appearance."

"And what of you, stranger? By what powers are you traveling at my side so far below the surface?" she asks, turning the conversation around.

OracleofSilence
2016-12-12, 05:10 AM
"I..." No. Not now, not yet, maybe not ever. Caution still had a place, though the alternatives were tempting. "I'm afraid I can't give many of the details, but I guess you could say I'm cursed. Well <<cursed>>" here, Dian slips into Old Realm, an alternate term more descriptive in tone, more detailed in nuance. Not cursed, at least not as it was commonly used, exactly. More like placed in bonds, not tricked, not enslaved, just... not free. "is perhaps more accurate. There are perks, of course. You can see some now." Hopefully that was good enough. Please let that be good enough.

Dian was not good at lying. Not even really at direct evasion. But sometimes shear conviction and a steady smile could do the job. Now lets just hope I can keep this ****ing[/I] formal tone up![/I]

"While I can understand your curiosity, now is not the time. I don't know what may have happened to Akeakamai, but I gave his daughter my word that I would help find him. If he is not here, and there were no apparent clues to his location, we should attempt to find more information. I say we... of course, you are free to go your own way if you would prefer Lady Valos. I can examine the sanctum as well, if you prefer, but as I already said, such searches are hardly my area of expertise."

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-15, 09:40 AM

Valos broods over Dian's evasion in silence. 'An evasion it is; I tried something similar but a few moments ago. I am certain now that he is hiding something, but he has a point - perhaps now is not the time to inquire of one another, but to investigate what has transpired here...'

She pulls up short as a thought occurs to her. 'But what if he is not to be trusted? What if he is an agent of an unseen enemy, sent now to investigate the investigators? My sister and I could be in grave danger if such were the case.'

'If is true that he has come on the priestess' behalf, then it is more likely that he will be trustworthy ally, however temporarily. But if he serves a more sinister master, or if he is as deceitful as I fear...'

"...you are right," she says slowly. "We must turn our attention to the goings on in this sanctum. I shall take my leave of you now."

'...that I may find my sister and enlist her aid,' Valos finishes mentally as she swims off to search for Blue Yarrow.

The_Snark
2016-12-16, 03:39 AM
As it happens, Valos's sister is waiting just on the other side of the reef that divides Akeakamai's sanctum from the wider ocean, close enough that she would have heard if the encounter outside had come to blows. Since it didn't, she has once more occupied herself making sure that the dolphin-god's dogs aren't feeling too neglected after their master's long absence. Who's a good little sea monster? Is it you? Yes it is! C'mere!

She is not so distracted that she fails to notice the other Full Moon reappear, and propels herself towards the entrance with a casual flick of her tail. "What was it? Anything interesting?"

Yatogami Odin
2016-12-16, 08:44 AM

Valos swims in so close as to almost envelop Blue within her tentacles. "Less of anything, more of anyone," she whispers hurriedly. "The new arrival looks to be a human, but shows no obvious discomfort in these waters. He can speak as well as you or I could, in fact."

"He claims to have come investigating on a local priestess's behalf - Akeakamai's own daughter. He also claims to be cursed; that was the only explanation he would give when I asked him how someone with the look of a mortal was able to reach this sanctum."

"He is presently searching about by himself. I have not told him you were here, as I am suspicious of his character. Sister, I beseech your aid in questioning him to discover his true origins and intentions."

The_Snark
2016-12-17, 02:55 AM
Blue blinks, drifts back a little and glances over at the sanctum gate to see if this suspicious stranger is in evidence. "Well, all right. Don't know how much good it'll do, I'm just a..." She trails off, shakes her head at herself. "Guess I can't call myself just a sailor anymore. I'm no magistrate, let's put that way. Still, s'pose another pair of eyes and ears wouldn't hurt."

"And maybe the dogs'll smell something." She beckons one of them over, whispering in its ear before swimming towards the door to the outside world, where Valos's mysterious stranger is (presumably) waiting.

Ifni
2016-12-25, 12:00 AM
The dog-pack surrounds Blue as she swims out of the sanctum, barking and churning up the water in their enthusiasm. They regard Dian with some suspicion, but seem content to follow Blue's lead.

<Find master now?> one of them asks her a little plaintively, paddling westward before turning to look back at her.

OracleofSilence
2016-12-28, 05:46 AM
Okay. All my limbs are still attached. Probably not too angry then. Not my worst first impression I suppose. Dian floats in silence for a few moments, enjoying the gentle push-pull of the water around him, but the sudden emergence of yet more dog like creatures and... Well hello! And no vision this time I see.

"Hmm. Valos never mentioned a plus one. Must have made her angrier then she seemed. So , I'd say don't believe any of the horrible things your... friend? probably told you about me, but then, I don't think she really had the time to go into detail. I'm Dian, and you are?" Okay. Lets just hope this time 'round went a bit smoother.

The_Snark
2016-12-28, 01:21 PM
<Soon,> Blue assures the dogs as they pass through the reef.

Outside, she is briefly taken aback by her first sight of the newcomer. Could've mentioned he was that good-looking, Valos... Not that a handsome untrustworthy stranger is less dangerous than a plain one. The opposite, really. "Blue Yarrow," she says amicably, "but call me Blue, everyone else does."

She swims forward lazily, drifting to one side so as to get a better look at him. Armored, which is an odd sight underwater; even stranger, he's wearing a cloak, swimming with that has got to be like trying to drag an anchor around with you... Not armed, unless she counts those gauntlets, which she probably ought to with the clawed fingertips and all. And very pretty. (Yes, she'd noted that already, but a second look never hurt. Just to be sure.) "Don't mind Valos, she's not the warmest sort. You mind letting the dogs take a closer look at you? Got to admit, it's a bit funny to find someone like you down here, and their say-so might make her feel a bit better about letting you in."

OracleofSilence
2016-12-30, 07:14 PM
"Examine? Goodness, you're making me blush. But if thats what it'll take..." Dian removes the cloak, really more a shapeless poncho at this point, draping it over his arm, apparently unfazed and unaffected by the normal realities of moving cloth underwater. "I don't exactly carry much with me, so this should be over pretty quickly." Well she was less prickly at least. Still suspicious sure, but there was room for progress.

"Lets see. Weird magic tooth, some armor, some fancy-ass gloves, and some cheap cloths. Or did you mean something else? You meant something else, didn't you." Best to play the fool for now. And best to pretend that it was purposeful instead of near compulsive, too.

The_Snark
2016-12-31, 04:09 AM
Blue smirks, putting one hand on her hip. In stark contrast to Dian, she's forgone clothing entirely, like any sensible swimmer; only scales and silver tattoos preserve her modesty. (Not that she seems to have much of that to preserve.) "Down, boy. I meant let the dogs give you a quick once-over, make sure you smell okay."

Her smile widens, and she looks him up and down again, none too subtle. "Though I guess I could stand to take a closer look, too. Y'know, just to be sure. Can't be too careful."

Assuming he doesn't refuse, Blue will ask one of the dogs to sniff him over and see what they think. I have no idea if brine curs get Measure the Wind or anything like that, which is fine because Blue wouldn't know that either; she just figures that dogs have good noses/are supposed to be good judges of character, and these are spirit dogs, so it's worth a shot.

Ifni
2016-12-31, 09:38 PM
At Blue's coaxing, one of the dogs is willing enough to approach Dian, sniffing him all over. (With a little too much enthusiasm paid to certain areas where Dian might prefer not to have a cold nose poking him, but that's dogs for you.) It also lingers on his boots - which cause it to sneeze - and to a lesser degree on his armor and clawed gauntlets.

<Boots and metal-skin smell of strangeness> it reports to Blue, making an odd hissing sound. <Strange blood, intruder-spirits, not from these waters. Not of the Ocean, nor of master's kin or courts. But man is human, not spirit. High-ones-chosen...> It nudges her with its nose. <Like you.>

Brine curs do indeed have Measure the Wind! But it only tells you whether someone is an Exalt or not, not what kind of Exalt they are. However, Dian's boots are made of living demon skin, per his description :smalltongue:

Ifni
2017-01-04, 08:48 PM
Akeakamai's Shrine

Leaving the shrine behind, Ye Thuza and Riarde head back along the coastline; whether Riarde is deliberately deflecting or not, Ye Thuza's questions about his prowess are answered with a (evidently pride-filled) description of his ship and crew. Riarde is more than happy to describe his past piratical exploits, and so the conversation continues until they reach his ship, moored in a sheltered cove. (Ye Thuza notices the other man following along, a short distance behind them; he seems rather taciturn, and not nearly as trusting as Riarde.)

A brief discussion later, they decide to stop by Akeakamai's sanctum - which is just off the coast - before beginning the longer journey to the home of the Old Man of the Sea.

~

Not long later, Akeakamai's dogs prick up their ears, at a sound different from the crying of the gulls and the soft sough of the waves on the reef. Alerted by that signal, it is easy for Blue and Dian to see the ship's hull cutting through the waves toward them.

On board, Ye Thuza sees an area of brighter turquoise water in the ocean, surrounding a low ring of sand rising from the sea. Foam around the atoll signals waves striking subsurface reefs. Riarde gives the order to make anchor, a safe distance from the treacherous shallows; for the moment, both captain and crew are distracted by that task.

Kaworu
2017-01-05, 07:38 AM
Ye Thuza

Yhuza was not thinking long - after all, she was a woman of action. She put her tooth underneath her tongue and jumped into water, eager to seek for the lost god.

When underwater, she discovered that she was not alone. She was not sure if she could talk (and preferred not to try out of fear of suffocation), but she waved friendly to the other Exalted there and flashed her own caste mark, stating that she is one too. Later, she pointed at herself, her mouth and surface, asking this way "wanna talk with me above?".

Yatogami Odin
2017-01-12, 02:36 PM

Valos swims out to join her sister in examining Dian. She opens her mouth to speak, but cuts herself off when the dogs' barking alerts her to the approaching ship. Valos departs after a quick nod to intercept any messengers.

"I will speak with you," she calls out to the newcomer. "If you remain civil, so shall I." With that, she silently and warily presses on to the surface.

'Another visitor, and this one seems to be upfront about her nature. Though I do not recognize her mark, I am reasonably certain that that is the light of another Exalt. She seems not to be quite at ease in the water, so I should be safe enough even if she does mean some secret harm.'

OracleofSilence
2017-01-13, 09:22 PM
"Well damn, the secret's out." Dian keeps his tone light, but a certain tense edge creeps into his expression. "Well then Blue, that seems to be your questions answered. Was that satisfactory?" Dian keeps most of his attention on the Lunar in front of him, despite the distraction of the arriving ship at least until...

"I... Ummm. Did she really just..." That was a Sidereal mark. It had to be. Run? Oh gods. This is bad. Well could be bad. REALLY bad. Even running would be hard now... And the line of questioning Blue and Valos had would probably hold constant but this time... Well. On the plus side, she seemed friendly. "I suppose we should probably check out the ship, at least assuming you aren't still suspicious of me. Uhh. Awkward question, but will you need cloths if we go above water?"

The_Snark
2017-01-13, 10:48 PM
"Well, he says you're foreign and your boots smell funny, but other than that you check out," Blue replies. "So, welcome to Akeakamai's sanctum, I guess. Not much to see right now, nobody's home but the dogs. Poor guys got left behind." Headscritches for the one that did the sniffing. "Valos and I were about to head out looking, but I dunno if the dogs'll like leaving if..."

She trails off as she sees the approaching ship, Valos once again swimming out to greet them first. "Busy out here today," she comments to Dian, and then - what? The fancy clothes, the sign of Venus, her first thought is what the hell's a fancy courtesan doing out here? but then one of the Sage's lessons surfaces from the depths of memory. Servants of the Maidens: bad news. And... was that the same look running across Dian's face as her own? He knows too, then. That's interesting. Chosen, the dog said. He's not a Lunar, or at least not Silver Pact, so that leaves... ah-ha.

"I'll be fine," she answers, rolling her eyes. Is that shyness she detects? Gallantry? Cute. "And maybe I still oughta be suspicious, but f*** it, I don't have the patience for that. Besides... I think we've both got a little more to worry about from the new girl, yeah?" Meaningful look. "Let's go make sure Valos doesn't need backup."

Kaworu
2017-01-19, 10:13 AM
Ye Thuza

Thuza swam to the surface of the ocean. When others were there, she spoke:

- Good day to you, fellow Exalted. My name is Ye Thuza and I serve under the Celestrial Maiden Venus. Fear not, I mean you no harm. My supervisors from Celestrial Bureaucracy brought me here on a mission to find information about rogue Sidereal, but matter currently at hand - she looked down, at the sanctum - are more urging, I believe, so right now I guess my task is to find this god and bring balance to this island. Maybe you have no reason to trust me, I know for sure that other Sidereals are very, hm... nasty to Lunars, but even if you are suspicious, we should put our differences aside and cooperate, at least for the time being. Now, assuming we will do, did you find anything of interest down there? I am not the best swimmer...

OracleofSilence
2017-01-20, 09:45 PM
"Are you actually crazy miss?" Dian had risen to the surface just in time to catch... well the ravings of a lunatic apparently. Not that what the young lady said was impossible of course, just that only the very innocent or slightly insane would be caught saying it. "I appreciate bluntness as much as the next man, but that might have been slightly too much information. Perhaps."

Kaworu
2017-01-21, 09:18 AM
Ye Thuza

- Hm? - asked Thuza, looking at Dian with surprise in her eyes - Forgive me, mister, but I really do not understand. I just assumed that we should have, let's call it, open and just relationship from the very beginning. Not everyone is aware of us, Siderals, and those who are more often than not have not so favourable view on us, so I decided to shred some light on that. I assume you I am not crazy, and in fact I do not catch what are you suggesting. Let me guess, you are one of the people who know about us, but are you aware that there are divided fractions inside our society? And that I am firm believer that we should repair the world instead of just looking at it and letting it rot? Believe me or not, but my presence her brings some possibilities that otherwise would be very hard to acquire. You should try your chances - please, take this advice from me.

Yatogami Odin
2017-01-26, 09:29 PM

"Your openness is very much appreciated, Ye Thuza," Valos booms with admiration. "Certainly preferable to the words games I have had to play with this one." She flips a tentacle toward Dian.

"In any case, you have been forward with me, and it is only fair that I return the courtesy. Unfortunately, my cursory investigation of the sanctum has turned up little as of yet; the only clues of note I found were a strand of hair that appeared to be from a water spirit and some shark scales."

"My companion may have more to say as she can speak with the brine curs in and around Akeakamai's sanctum. She should be joining us shortly."

OracleofSilence
2017-01-27, 04:32 AM
"That hurts Valos, it really does. I change my tone just a bit and you imply I was dishonest? Well regardless, it's not for me to judge how forthcoming people are with their personal affairs. As i said, Ye Thuza, i appreciate your honesty, even if I am surprised by it." Yikes. It seems the first impression was even worse then it had seemed.

Well, if it was what it took... "And Valos, if it bothers you that much, we can talk some more about my personal situation later. I hope you won't be too offended when i say I prefer at least a little privacy when it comes to things like that." She could be an ally. Possibly. And if worse came to worse, her reacting poorly would probably not be the worst thing in the world.

The_Snark
2017-01-29, 06:55 AM
Blue looks askance at Valos. "I gotta say, I'm with Dian on this one. Don't get me wrong, I like honesty as much as the next gal, but... we-ell, I don't know a lot about Sidereals, but my teacher was pretty firm on the fact that they're slippery lying bastards. No offense, miss. So... I don't know what to think about that. It's like that old koan with the man who tells everyone he meets that he's a liar and can't be trusted. If you believe him, then you have to, uh. Not believe him? Something like that. I never did understand koans, but I guess that's the point of 'em, really."

She frowns, idly starting to swim in a wide circle around the little group. "Look, what is it you want from us? I'm not about to let you guard my back while I sleep, but I'd feel a bit funny about killing you just on principle. Gimme something to work with, here."

Kaworu
2017-01-29, 09:33 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sideral laughted really loud when she heard Blue's opinion on her kind. She has a resonand laughter, and kinda nice too.

- Yes, I guess you can call us lying bastards, especially after my fellow Exalted created the whole Immaculate thing - she admitted - As to your question, I will put it simply. We are at sea. We seek for a god. You seem to be good at swimming and diving, I have experience with Celestrial Bureaucracy. It seems like we complement each other, whether you are willing to acknowledge that or not. So why we shouldn't work together, at least for the time being? I do not say that we should be trusting each other, althought that would be preferable. We simply should cooperate until we will find the god of Azure Wizdom... or avenge his death, though I wish for the first option.

Yatogami Odin
2017-01-31, 10:45 PM

"Hmph. No word games, that is all I desire," Valos mutters. "Let us say we are cooperating, then. What is the next step?"

She turns toward Blue. "I was just telling our... acquaintance... about the strand and scales I had found. Now that things have settled somewhat, have you found any further insight into them? Or perhaps our Celestial guest can offer us some divination on the subject matter?"

Kaworu
2017-02-01, 08:27 AM
Ye Thuza

- Eeeem... about that... - Sidereal's face turned pink - I am afraid that I cannot help you. Of course, we have something called Sidereal Astrology and it's a very potent tool, but that helps us shape destiny, not tell future or the past. And certainly not from such an evidence. Also, did I mention that I am primarily martial artist and as follows I have literally zero experience with forensics? Of course, my friends from Five-Score Fellowship have some charms usable in this situation, but it is outside my area of expertise. I'm truly sorry, but I am of little use here.

Yatogami Odin
2017-02-08, 11:52 PM

Valos frowns, nonplussed. "...I will refrain from making any further evaluations. My first and only concern at present is how we shall proceed from here." She briefly glances at the other two. "Between the four of us, certainly there is something we can do. Unfortunately, I am in much the same predicament, as my own skills lie in areas other than forensics."

She pauses, briefly considering whether or not to provide explanation; she decides against it. "If it is only to provide another pair of eyes and hands, that much I can accomplish readily." To Blue, she says, "Have the dogs told you anything else that may be of value to our investigation? Or perhaps they can lead us to someone who does have more answers."

The_Snark
2017-02-14, 12:27 PM
Damn. The Sidereal has a point: neither she nor Valos knows much about spirit courts, and if Dian does then he's keeping quiet about it. Playing games with someone you know is better at double-dealing than you are still feels like a bad idea to Blue, but Valos doesn't seem worried... and hey, what's the worst that could happen? The Sidereal and her friends try to stab her in the back, she turns into a sea dragon and eats them. Valos would back her up. Maybe Dian too, he doesn't seem to trust them much. She gives Ye Thuza a short nod. "Well, all right. But no funny business, or we'll be picking bits of you out of our teeth."

There, that's settled. Back to the matter at hand. "Nothing I didn't mention already," she answers Valos. "They're dogs, they're about as lost as we are. Before Dian got here, we were talking about going to talk to the sharkmen. They were the last ones to visit the court before everyone left," she adds for the newcomers' benefit, "so maybe they know something. Might hafta rough 'em up a bit to get them to share, but we can handle that."

She grins suddenly at Ye Thuza. "How 'bout it, lady? You up for picking a fight with some sharks?"

Kaworu
2017-02-15, 07:47 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal grinned back - Oh, believe me, I am not a damsel in distress. While water can provide some challenge, I believe I won't be holding you back. I've got my armor, my body's a dangerous weapon and I know Wood Dragon Style. In fact I didn't fight in a long time and I kinda long for that. What's the meaning of learning martial arts if you cannot use them? - she asked, her eyes smiling.

The_Snark
2017-02-15, 08:03 AM
In spite of herself, Blue's mouth quirks up in a smile. "All right, then, let's go see a man about a dolphin."

OracleofSilence
2017-02-15, 03:50 PM
"Umm, self betterment and the purification of the soul. Or something. At least that's the line I was fed." Dian grins as well. "As for the plan, by all means lets go. I could use the excitement."

Ifni
2017-02-24, 01:41 AM
The sea-dogs lead the group westward, out toward the open ocean beyond the sheltered waterways of the Neck. The dogs are… doglike, snapping playfully at each other with teeth like daggers, occasionally roiling up the water in a play-fight. But they stay close to Blue, and in their half-voiced chatter to each other, she senses unease as well as the surface brashness.

Ye Thuza has retreated to the ship, and has a good view from the bow. But there is little enough to see; just the great expanse of water stretching out to the horizon, a rolling green-glass swell ruffled here and there with white.

Valos and Dian make the swim untroubled by peculiar memories or surges of emotion, Dian passing through the water as if it is air, while Valos propels herself along with the eerie grace of a shape born to the unseen depths.

It is Valos who notices the change in the water first, as a welcome chill across her body, a relief from the too-warm too-bright strangeness of these waters. The cold current tugs at her, a ribbon of the deeps in these sunlit shallows.

The dogs draw closer to Blue, and to her ears their barks evoke blood, and cold, and teeth.

Assuming you want to follow the current, I'd like to know what preparations you are making or concealment you are attempting, if any. Also please roll Perception+Awareness with your next post, and let me know if you have any supernatural perceptions.

Sorry for the delay; this week ended up having a paper and a grant application due, and I spent the long weekend out of town. But I should be more available now, at least until the weekend after next...

Kaworu
2017-02-26, 10:12 AM
Ye Thuza

The ship of Captain Riarde followed the Lunars and the strange man that was with them. Thuza wondered about his abilities, but didn't think about it too much - she was no expert on occult after all, and there was more peculiar magic in the world of Creation than even the wisest and oldest Sidereals would know.

She was observing the swimming persons from the deck, until Valos stopped.

- Valos, Dear, what it is? Did you see something? - she asked, concerned - Do you need any help or assistance from me? Should I join you in the waters?

Yatogami Odin
2017-02-28, 11:54 AM

Valos shakes her head, the faint ghost of a smile on her face. "No, there are no problems here - quite the opposite, really. Where I come from, the waters are much cooler and darker. The currents here remind me of home; it is a welcome change."

She looks over her shoulder at her companions. "I trust that we are not yet in waters that would make you uncomfortable. Should the need arise, I am fully inured to the hazards of the deep; the crushing depths will not still my breath or my limbs."

Noting the dogs' agitation, she adds, "More to the point, do we draw near to our destination? What say the dogs, sister?"

The_Snark
2017-03-01, 06:59 AM
"I think we're close," Blue answers, "they're starting to get nervous. Reckon we'll need to dive soon, unless the sharkmen keep an eye on the surface."

She halts her forward momentum with a flip, staring out and down into the blue. Her tattoos shimmer with light, and she grows: her torso swells and loses human shape, her arms fold back into flippers, and in a few seconds her spirit shape lies revealed, large enough to dwarf most fishing boats. Among Lunars, the warform is a declaration of resolve, if not outright hostility - but the massive bulk of a sea dragon is a threat anyone can recognize.

Perception+Awareness: [roll0]

No supernatural perceptions.

Ifni
2017-03-11, 03:36 AM
Blue sees the moving shadows in the water first, after they have been traveling for another ten or fifteen minutes. The distant shapes are small to a sea-dragon's eyes, but larger than most fish - perhaps the size of a dolphin, or a human. They are swimming far too fast to be mortals, though; the distance between the ship and the newcomers is narrowing even as Blue watches. (At least, most of the newcomers - some of the shapes seem to be receding, although it is a little hard to tell through the screen of the other swimmers.)

As the swimmers approach more closely, their nature becomes more apparent; from the waist up they appear human-like, with the faces of lovely women. But instead of legs they have silver-gray fishtails, and long fins run along their backs and arms. There are half a dozen of them in total; they are wearing jackets of seaweed and shells, and the one in the lead carries a long spear of some polished pale substance, with a sharp bone tip.

If you wish to make preparations, you can consider yourself to have a number of actions available equal to the successes on your Perception+Awareness roll.

Also, you can roll Int+Occult if you wish.

If you want to do something that would interfere with what's below, let me know; I can adjust as needed. She is staying underwater, so people on the ship will not hear this easily: Ye Thuza can give me another Perception+Awareness roll.

This personage draws to a halt some distance from the ship, still underwater. She calls out, in a voice that resonates through the water, "Greetings, chosen of Luna. What is your business in our territory?"

When she opens her mouth, Blue can see her teeth: they are pointed and sharp, the teeth of a carnivore.

Kaworu
2017-03-11, 11:10 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal looks down from the ship at the fish-people below. She is uncertain as to what think of them, but it seemed like a good idea to prepare herself somehow. From Thuza's forehead emanated the invisible light only she could see. Thus prepared, she went to the edge of the ship and said loudly:

- People of the sea! My name is Ye Thuza, One Thousand And One Rose Petals, the Chosen of Venus. I'm on a mission straight from the Celestial City of Yu-Shan. Tell me truthfully, do you know anything about the lost god-guardian of Petraya that mortals here miss so much?

Awareness + Perception: [roll0]
Intelligence + Occult: [roll1]

I'm using charm: Mark of Exaltation

Yatogami Odin
2017-03-16, 05:55 AM

Valos narrows her eyes at the approaching shapes. "It may yet be too much to hope that those are allies; more likely they have come to reproach us about trespassing."

She turns to Blue and asks, "You and I already seem to be prepared for the worst; shall we meet them where they are?" With that, she drifts forward to interpose herself between her companions and incoming strangers.

Valos continues to study them as they come closer, attempting to ascertain their intent. She briefly considers warning them to keep their distance, but Ye Thuza's voice ringing out from overhead gives her pause.

'It would not behoove us to provoke them, in any case,' she chides herself. 'Though my sister's appearance and mine are not like to earn us many friends. Let them come, then, and we will deal with them as we may.'

(Intelligence + Occult): [roll0]

I would also like to try a (Perception + Investigation) [roll1] roll to see what information might be gleaned (e.g. an intent to harm) from the newcomers' demeanor, but it seems that the Reading Motivation action normally requires a few minutes' of interaction. If it's not kosher, or if Awareness would be more appropriate, I'll make whatever changes are necessary.

Ifni
2017-03-19, 03:50 AM
Valos and Ye Thuza recognize the creatures, at least in general outline; the sharply pointed teeth, fishtails and beauty strongly suggest that these are the minor sea-gods called sirens.

Valos has not had much interaction with sirens before, as they prey on humans, and thus usually frequent the shallower waters close to land, rather than the depths of Zhuzhiao's realm. However, Zhuzhiao has long-standing agreements with them, regarding the disposition of shipwrecks: the sirens may devour the sailors from such wrecks, but the treasures of their holds belong to the Princeps of the Deep Trenches.

Ye Thuza has not directly interacted with sirens before, but she knows a little of their history; they are minor gods but also vicious predators, being originally tasked with maintaining human populations by culling the excess.

These ones do not seem particularly hostile to Valos' eyes, but at only a glance, it is hard to read much from their body language. From the way the leader is holding her spear, she does seem prepared for trouble.

At Ye Thuza's call, the lead siren looks up at the ship, transparent inner eyelids sliding across her ink-black eyes as she blinks. "A Sidereal, in company with two Chosen of Luna? That is a rare sight..."

She grins at Valos and Blue, pointed teeth gleaming white. "Does she speak for you? I know little of what mortals miss or care for. I am charged with guarding our waters, and exacting our tribute from those who pass."

She waves her spear upward. "I scent mortals on the ship that accompanies you. Will you grant us one for our tithe?"

Ye Thuza can make out the shapes below the water, but cannot clearly hear the reply, if any. To have an actual conversation with the creatures, she may need to have the Lunars relay their words.

I would like to avoid formal social combat because the tick ordering tends to slow things down even more, and it limits who can respond at any one time - but feel free to use social Charms or take actions appropriate for social combat, like the aforementioned Read Motivation action, or rolls to discern if the sirens are telling the truth. In general, try to stick to at most one formal mechanical action per response from the sirens (unless you want to use a flurry), although you can always talk without mechanical impact.

If you do want to enter formal social combat, let me know.

Kaworu
2017-03-21, 08:01 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal looks below. She could see the sirens, of course, but not hear what they were talking about. She sighed and again jumped into the waters below.

Then, she heard what the sirens were talking about.

- Im sorry, but we cannot "grant" you a mortal. In fact, I am ready to fight with you if you want him so badly. Of course, that's the worst case scenario and I believe both our groups should try really hard to avoid that solution. I have some money with me, but I doubt it will satisfy you. Maybe you want my own blood? Or maybe something else? What would you like? - she asked.

Yatogami Odin
2017-03-22, 06:13 AM

Valos raises her hand to stop Ye Thuza. "Our objectives are similar," she say to the sirens, "But she does not speak for me, at least. I am myself sent by the High Princep of the Deep Trenches; Akeakamai, the lost deity of whom my companion speaks, has an arrangement with my lord, as do your kind."

"I will echo my companion in that I wish to know what tribute you would exact from us before we may pass. I have little to offer beyond service and the promise of a good word with my lord when I should report to him after this business is resolved."

"Doubt not that the latter will be freely given as a matter of course; as for the former, while I do not presume to speak for my colleagues, I should think that the exchange of one favor for another would be more palatable than an impromptu sacrifice."

OracleofSilence
2017-03-28, 03:50 PM
Oh I don't know, a little human sacrifice would be charmingly quaint. Best not say that out loud.

Dian shrugs slightly at the semantics. "I'll bow to your superior experience with this type Valis, but some people really would take the blood over a favor."

Ifni
2017-04-01, 03:10 AM
The lead siren looks at Valos again, this time with rather more respect. "Praise to the Princeps of the Deep Trenches! We know of Zhuzhiao, and if you are his emissary..." She pauses for a moment.

The siren beside her smiles at Dian, in a cheerfully flirtatious grin that also bares her double-rowed, razor-sharp shark-like teeth. "It is our sacred duty to cull the mortal population, pretty lad, to stop humans from overrunning sea and land." The piety in her voice is thick enough that it seems likely to be sarcastic. "Also lifeblood is delicious." She eyes Ye Thuza. "I've never had the chance to nibble on an Exalt, though." She flutters long, sea-colored eyelashes at the Sidereal. "If you'd like to visit my home, I'd be honored..."

The leader gives her subordinate a look familiar to harried bosses the world over, before redirecting her attention to Valos. "The spirit courts in these waters are in disarray; my Lady has come to bring order. If Lord Zhuzhiao had arrangements with the former courts, we were not aware of them, but I am sure a similar agreement could be negotiated, if He wishes."

Blue notices that the dogs are... not snarling, but bristling, their hackles raised; low growls are emanating from several of them.

A social attack coming in: siren #2 is throwing out a Performance-based NMI social attack, attempting to begin establishing a positive Intimacy toward her (general context is allure/desire, feel free to interpret specifics as you wish). She has Appearance 5; adjust your MDVs accordingly.
Charisma+Performance: [roll0]

The_Snark
2017-04-01, 05:42 AM
"No life's blood will be given."

Blue Yarrow's voice is felt as much as heard, a deep rumbling that echoes the growls of the brine curs. Sea dragons not being the most expressive of creatures, it doesn't really mean anything that her teeth are bared - her jaws would need to be clamped shut to avoid that - but right now it sure seems meaningful.

Maybe it would be smarter to let the others take the lead here. Valos seems to be a fair hand at negotiating. The Sidereal is welcome to go off necking with some nymphlet if she really wants to, though from the way the leader is acting Blue doubts that would actually pay their passage. Hell, she might even be able to get somewhere following her sister's example and namedropping Leviathan. Except...

The last time Blue encountered spirits like these, she wasn't one of the Chosen, secure in her superior strength and divine blessings. She was one of those mortals sailors above, crossing her fingers and praying that the Princes of the Earth could strike a bargain that kept the hungry spirits at bay... and failing that, hoping that she didn't draw the short straw. The Immaculates were usually pretty good about not kowtowing to bloodthirsty gods and sea-demons, but sometimes they didn't get much choice in the matter. If the numbers weren't on your side, you threw someone overboard rather than risk the whole ship. It was one of those risks you had to accept when you set sail. Now, though? The numbers are pretty clearly on their side, and damned if she's going to play nice with the sea-bitches now that she doesn't have to. The men above might not be Realm - come to think, she hasn't got a clue who they sail for - but it doesn't really matter, does it? When the sea comes calling, no sailor cares what color your flag is.

"You are delaying us. If you want to negotiate a treaty with Zhuzhiao, do it on your time, not mine. We will pass. Now."

A snap of Blue's tail propels her forward, not fast exactly, but quick enough that she'll be on the sirens in ten to fifteen seconds if they don't move. Her jaw gapes open, a not-so-subtle reminder that she's big enough to crush any one of them with a single bite. Silver tattoos gleam; perhaps a threat, perhaps merely the light striking just right.

Activating the Third Appearance Excellency (4m) to defend against the social attack, for effective Appearance 8(?)...

6 successes against base MDV 7, before modifiers from stunts, Intimacies and Appearance, means the attack is shrugged off.

Edit - actually, it occurs to me that while in animal shape Blue is supposed to use her form's Appearance; since this is her spirit shape, it counts as her natural Appearance score, which is an advantage when it comes to Strength but maybe not when dealing with Appearance? I don't actually know what a sea dragon's Appearance score is, animals don't have that listed. But in any case, the Third Excellency doubles whatever it ought to be.

... and then making a Charisma+Presence social attack of her own, aimed at intimidating the sirens. Going all-out: First Charisma Excellency to add 4 dice, plus the Third Appearance Excellency again, plus channeling Valor. (Also Dog-Tongue Method to be able to talk despite being in animal shape.)

Charisma+Presence: [roll0]
Possible stunt: [roll1]

Again, unsure what Appearance this should be at the moment.

Essence
Personal: 12/22
Peripheral: 41/52 (9 committed)

Willpower 7/10

Anima banner: 1-3 level

Yatogami Odin
2017-04-02, 02:28 PM

"Peace, sister," Valos calls out to Blue. To the sirens, she says, "Pray pardon her impatience, but she has the right of it; mine is a mission that may be of a time-sensitive nature, and there will be opportunities to work out specific arrangements between us later."

Sorry for the delay. I'd wanted to flesh this out a bit more, but I don't want to hold you guys up. The general idea is that she doesn't have any reason to object to the siren's social attack, nor to Blue's motion for haste, and so she'll leave those two rolls to resolve as they will.

OracleofSilence
2017-04-02, 05:03 PM
Dian grins back matching the tone and toothiness of the siren. "Oh please, love. Already tried that type of stuff once, and let me tell you, the exoticism does not make up for the wooziness." His smile shifts slightly, with a very slightly predatory edge mixing in with the humor. "And I must agree. You are delaying us. For politeness sake, please stop, lest we be forced to ignore you. I promise, the inconvenience would not be much greater then that. See? I can make threats too."

Parry MDV starts at 7. gets stunted by probably 1 for that. Ends at 8. Appearance 5 matches hers. No social influence.

Ifni
2017-04-03, 09:44 PM
"Scatter!" the lead siren shouts, and the group of six divides into three groups of two, each moving rapidly to the side in a different direction. Powerful downstrokes of their fish-tails propel them rapidly through the water, a single beat carrying them almost thirty feet. The way ahead is clear.

They turn in the water; four of the six rise lazily to the surface, as if to watch the ship. The other two - the leader and her second - watch the Exalts.

"Pass, then," the leader says coolly. "Emissary of Zhuzhiao, we would be glad to receive you at some later date."

Her second regards Dian, with one of the toothier pouts in his recent experience. "If you change your mind, feel free to look me up."

The_Snark, can you roll Int+Occult for me as well please? 2-die stunt, since based on that post, Blue has reason to know a bit about sea-spirits.

Also, the intimidation roll is a 3-die stunt. Don't bother taking XP, though, as it won't be relevant within the initial game, and if we go on to a longer campaign I'll want to assign the same XP to everyone.

Kaworu
2017-04-04, 11:30 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal breathed a sigh of relief. So they wouldn't have to fight the sirens, neither sacrifice some humans. Great.

- Bye sirens, next time maybe - she waved them her hand - it never hurt to be nice, even is she wasn't so sure they deserved that.

- Well, I quess I'm going back to the ship, then? - Thuza said to other Exalts.

Yatogami Odin
2017-04-11, 11:57 AM

Valos nods to the lead siren; she would bow, but that is reserved for those to whom she owes proper loyalty. "And I shall be glad to take up the offer, once we are in calmer waters, as it were. Until then."

She turns to Ye Thuza. "Prior to our encounter with the sirens, my sister suggested that we might soon need to dive in order to reach our destination. I apologize if I have asked this already, but have you any means of long-term undersea exploration? If not, then we have no recourse but to leave you on the ship."

Valos glances at Blue Yarrow. "In any case, there is something I wish to say before we proceed. Far be it from me to reproach you, sister, but I would remind you that my own mission, at least, is of a more diplomatic nature, and I should not like to have that jeopardized by the belligerence of my companions."

"That goes for you as well," she says to Dian. "I will remind you that I am a sworn to the service of the High Princeps of the Deep Trenches; I speak with His voice, and motion with His arm. If it truly falls upon us to explore the lower waters, then we will be entering my Lord's domain.

These sirens just now already acknowledge His authority, so how much the more when we are in his domain proper? While I make no presumptions as to my power over you three, I would ask that you give me the chance for the first word with anyone else we might encounter."

The_Snark
2017-04-11, 01:36 PM
Blue's first instinct as the sirens scatter is to chase: pick a side, kill the nearest, keep moving so they haven't the time to pull together. Swimming lazily forward, with enemies to both sides, feels wrong. She might be ten times their size, but there's six of them and it's never good to let yourself be surrounded...

This isn't a fight, she reminds herself. You said let us pass, and they're letting us. If you wanted a fight you should've just gone for it instead of blustering.

She forces herself to swim through the impromptu gauntlet at a leisurely pace, affecting an air of lazy confidence and ignoring the predatory spirits to either side. But she fancies she can feel their eyes on her as she passes, and for a while after. Maybe she should've gone straight for the throat after all. It's a bad idea to leave enemies at your back, and sirens are spiteful bitches.

So when Valos speaks up, she finds herself simultaneously agreeing with and annoyed by the rebuke, gentle as it is. "I don't like their sort," she rumbles. "I've dealt with them before; if they thought they had the upper hand they'd thrown their weight around until they got blood, one way or another. Way I see it, only fair they get the same treatment when the shoe's on the other foot." She pauses, reigning in her temper. No point getting angry at Valos. "I don't want to make trouble for you, but I'm not beholden to Zhuzhiao, either, and don't mean to be. I'll let you take the lead, but I don't like playing nice with bullies and vultures."

Kaworu
2017-04-12, 09:49 AM
Ye Thuza

- I have the tooth that Azure Wisdom gave me, If I will keep it in my mouth I should be able to breathe underwater. - confessed the Sidereal - As to the sirens, I agree with Blue, if they are for a fight, they should be able to face the consequences. I will try to remember to let you act first Valos, though.

Yatogami Odin
2017-04-14, 11:52 AM

Valos nods to the two of them. "That is as much as I could ask of either of you," she says simply. "We are in unfamiliar waters, and so it behooves us not to make enemies at every turn if we can avoid it. But enough on that subject; if the depths pose no obstacle to you, then I motion that we proceed."

OracleofSilence
2017-04-14, 01:25 PM
"By all means lets continue. Can't stay floating here forever."

Ifni
2017-04-15, 10:50 PM
As the sirens rise to the surface, the Exalts hear cries from the ship, of surprise and fear and wonder. But none of the sharper screams or wails of yearning that Blue knows to fear from sailors' tales, of the fell and lovely spirits of the sea that call sailors to their deaths with song. The sirens watch for a few moments, and the ship moves on, and then they dart away swiftly through the waves, the silver-gray ribbons of their tails flashing in the sunlight.

The Exalts move onward. The water is growing deeper in places, the sandy shallows giving way to colder, darker valleys. The shapes of some of those valleys do not look as if they were naturally carved by the currents of the sea and the shifting of the earth. And there is still that steady stream of the chilly current, pushing against their faces as they swim, growing ever colder.

From the way the dogs are behaving - hackles bristling, staying together in a pack rather than ranging widely - they are within hostile territory now.

Eventually the group sees a change in the water up ahead; something like a reef wall, extending from the surface down into the depths. At the same time, the lookout on the ship above calls out.

Rising to the surface, what they see ahead is a gleaming pale glassy surface, shadowed with blues and greens. Its boundary is a wide arcing curve; they cannot readily see how far it extends. Beneath the surface, the wall is pitted with tunnels and openings of various sizes. This, it seems, is the origin of the cold current; if not, it lies directly in its path.

To answer some immediate likely questions:
(1) The structure seems to be largely composed of ice. Some of your PCs may not have encountered ice before! However, to anyone with any familiarity with ice, it is pretty clear that either this is magical ice, or something must be maintaining this structure (or both), else the warm waters in this area would melt it very fast.

(2) The tunnels you can see immediately are not large enough to accommodate a sea dragon or giant squid. You may choose to search for large enough tunnels; this will be an extended Perception+(Investigation or Awareness) action, and is likely to take some time. (15 minutes per roll, you are looking for a certain total number of successes which I know.) Other alternatives include shifting to smaller forms, walking over the surface, or attempting to bash through the ice by main force.

(3) The structure appears to narrow as it goes deeper. Diving to try to go under it is a possible option.

I also need to know what you want to do with regard to the ship. Since Riarde has vanished on us, you may assume he does what the remaining PCs recommend.

Kaworu
2017-04-17, 02:12 PM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal decided to swim with the other Exalts instead of going back to the ship. She believed that deep blue waters are the place where all the things would happen and she wanted to be ready for the action.

She swam with the others, saying nothing. The water was colder and colder, yet she did not whine. All of them had to endure the coolness, plus she wanted to be perceived as a tough girl. She was well aware that some of her new friends didn't support her fully and she wanted to gain their trust, perhaps even respect.

When she saw what was the cause of the coll water, she gasped in disbelief.

- Ice? Ice wall? Here, in sunny and warm Patraya? Why? - she asked the other Exalts - It cannot be, it makes no sense! Though... I believe this can be the prison of our lost god if he's still alive. I dunno about the rest of you, but I am going to swim into the holes and try too look inside. Anyone going with me? - Thuza inquired, before going under.

The_Snark
2017-04-18, 06:33 AM
Blue doesn't reply aloud, but her tattoos shimmer and constrict as her body starts to shrink, thinning down to less than half its previous length in seconds. Her upper body is human again, though now covered in thick scales, and she holds a silver spear in one hand.

The Sidereal isn't waiting for anyone, apparently. For a moment Blue watches with a wry smile, glancing at the others to see if they share her amusement. "Amazing she hasn't gotten herself killed yet. Shall we?" She gestures towards the ice with her spear. Checking out the tunnels seems as good a plan as any, but unlike some people she isn't going to rush ahead without a second thought.

Valor 5 means that "rush ahead without a second thought" is in fact fairly typical behavior for Blue. Luckily, introspection isn't, so mere facts won't interfere with being snippy to Sidereals :smallwink:

Yatogami Odin
2017-04-20, 08:54 AM

Valos frowns as she looks over the imposing ice structure. "Much as I would caution about charging into the unknown, it must needs be done if we are ever to pierce the heart of this matter," she says slowly. "Although should we all go, there also remains the issue of what to do with the ship - if the encounter with the sirens is any indication, the mortal crew may yet pose a tempting target for other locals, be they of flesh or spirit."

My own concern is how long these tunnels last, for even in my human form my size may pose an issue. It may be for the best for me to remain here and guard the ship, rather than venture halfway inside and find my passage barred."

OracleofSilence
2017-04-20, 08:37 PM
"That might be a matter better addressed when it arises. As I said previously, I'm not that familiar with the spirit courts of the west, but anything that can keep that structure solid in these waters is likely quite powerful." Dian shrugs slightly, gesturing towards the structure.. "Regardless, we had best hurry, lest our enthusiastic companion leave us behind and get to the fun ahead of us."

The_Snark
2017-04-21, 07:55 AM
Blue frowns. "Didn't think of that. You're right, leaving the ship alone up here's asking for trouble... Why'd we bring it along in the first place, anyway? We knew we were headed underwater." The answer comes to mind just seconds later: the Sidereal, of course. Probably wanted to relax on deck instead of swimming like everyone else.

Glancing at the woman in question, Blue is struck with another realization. "Oh hell, the dogs won't fit through those tunnels either. I guess we could try swimming down, see if it goes all the way to the sea floor...?"

Yatogami Odin
2017-04-25, 12:50 PM

Valos sighs and shrugs. "Well, between me and Riarde on the ship and the dogs in the water, I dare say the ship will be secure enough for the time being. If it suits you, you can explore the tunnels to ascertain who else among our number would be able to squeeze through, then return or otherwise send word back here. The question is whether we have the luxury of time, and whether there exists some hazard down below that would keep you from contacting us until it was too late."

"With that in mind, I would suggest having a dog wait with you at the entrance, then designate a member of your group as a messenger to return here with good news or ill. Either way, my own options are limited for the time being, so I can offer only counsel."

Yatogami Odin
2017-05-04, 08:15 PM

"For that matter, the dogs are themselves spirits - unless some further magic sustains and protects the ice, they could dematerialize and scout far more efficiently than we can."

Valos turns to Blue. "As I cannot speak with them directly, it is up to you to communicate that plan to them if you choose to follow it, sister."

Ifni
2017-05-26, 12:37 AM
With some difficulty, Blue manages to convey this concept to one of the dogs, who swims toward the structure and vanishes in a thunderclap of collapsing foam.

Only moments later, the dog reappears, whimpering. Blue-green ichor trails into the water from ragged wounds on its flanks. It is rather agitated, and questioning by Blue reveals only the sense that the ice-structure ahead seems to be the dwelling of fierce and territorial creatures.

Approaching the tunnels, the Exalts are not attacked, and Blue, Ye Thuza and Dian can each find tunnels wide enough to accommodate a single human.

Kaworu
2017-05-26, 04:40 AM
Ye Thuza

The Sidereal at the beginning swam bravely into the tunnel, however, the more she did the slower she went. It wasn't about her strength fading, rather, she was a little bit afraid. She didn't know what kind of magic could create such a structure and she wondered if she would be able to defeat its creator if need be. Sure, she was an able martial artist, but she was at the very beginning of the road. She wasn't undefeatable.

With such thoughts, she swam slowly, watching for danger.

Ifni
2017-05-26, 11:04 PM
Ye Thuza

Ye Thuza swims into the depths of the iceberg, and despite her tension, there is no overt attack. The light here is filtered and colored by the ice, so it is as if she swims through a turquoise haze; it takes concentration to avoid bumping into the curving, translucent walls of the tunnel. The vodonik's tooth lets her breathe freely, but another consideration rapidly makes itself felt: the water here is cold.

After swimming a short distance, the tunnel she is following branches into two. Both branches are large enough for her to pass, although one is slightly wider than the other.

Okay. This is going to be an extended test of (mental attribute of your choice)+Survival, to navigate the ice; you can use a different Ability if you justify it. Basically, roll that pool, you can stunt if you wish. Each roll has difficulty 1. You're aiming to accumulate a certain number of threshold successes, which I know. (I'll tell you when you get there.)

Each roll represents an interval spent within the ice. The cold water here is an environmental hazard; if you have Charms against environmental hazards, feel free to use them, else you also need to roll Stamina+Resistance each interval to resist the cold.

At least at first, I'd like to do this one interval at a time, so just make your first navigation roll and your first Stamina+Resistance roll, and we'll go from there. Feel free to ask questions in the OOC, of course.

Kaworu
2017-05-27, 07:37 AM
Ye Thuza

The Chosen of Serenity went deeper into the icy structure. It was cold, so cold, and she wasn't prepared for that - who would be? Petraya was MEANT to be hot, after all. Still, she dived further, believing it's the only right decision. She really wanted to save the island... plus she did not wish to look like a wuss in eyes of her companions. She felt the urge to prove herself.

When confronted with the choice, she has chosen the wider path - out of nothing, to be honest. She just had the irrational feeling that it may be best for her, but couldn't explain why.

Ifni
2017-05-27, 04:20 PM
Ye Thuza

Perhaps Fate is indeed with its Chosen daughter today, for Ye Thuza's chosen tunnel leads steadily inward. It remains wide enough to easily accommodate her slender form, and at least approximately straight, with few branches or tight turns. And while the water is cold, the Essence permeating her flesh and her training in Heaven stand her in good stead, and the chill does not bother her unduly.

Eventually she comes to another branching point, where the broad tunnel she has followed separates into a nest of narrower passageways. Some turn upward from here, others downward. The currents tug at Ye Thuza as she pauses before the branching point; oddly, some of the streams of water seem to be flowing inward, others outward in the direction she came, with the latter being commensurately colder.

5 successes, so 4 successes over threshold banked. Another set of rolls, please.

Kaworu
2017-05-28, 10:27 AM
Ye Thuza

Ye Thuza stopped, thinking. She could go up the tunnel, or she could go down. If down, she would have to swim against the current, plus it was colder there - and she wasn't the best swimmer or the most endurable person. Yet, she had the feeling that the path down was for the better. It led deeper into the structure and was considerably cool - perhaps that was the way to the very center?

She swam down, wishing she would know Excellencies to help her in the task.

Ifni
2017-05-28, 02:39 PM
Ye Thuza

The chill water is starting to tell on the young Sidereal; she can feel a slow exhaustion creeping through her limbs. But for the moment, it's not enough to hinder her, and she swims onward.

The water around her abruptly becomes brighter, and now it is clear that the light is not merely filtered sunlight - a clear blue-green glow is emanating from some point ahead. In this new light, it is easier to see the contours of the tunnels, glittering like polished glass.

Unfortunately, the hint of deeper cold she followed earlier is becoming far more than a hint. A mortal swimming these waters would surely perish in minutes, unless they bore divine blood or used specialized equipment.

The maze continues: again and again Ye Thuza must choose the right path, as she passes through tangles of tunnels like transparent seaweed, drawing looping patterns through the light.

Keep on rolling! But since I know you're going on vacation, after this one we may pause and let the others catch up, if they want to.

Kaworu
2017-06-05, 02:51 AM
Ye Thuza

Thuza swam and swam, deeper and deeper into the ice maze. It was cold, so cold, yet she had known that she must go on. She activated the Wood Dragon Style in hopes of restoring her life's energy - she wished she would have some other Charm to help her, but she didn't. When she did swim, she left behind her a green ribbon of Essence, dissolving into the icy waters.

She followed the path of the coldest water possible, still believing she will be able to find the center of the structure this way.

Charms: Wood Dragon Form

I will roll in OOC topic.

The_Snark
2017-06-05, 04:51 AM
Blue enters the maze of tunnels a bit later than the others, having first risen to the surface to fill her lungs. Running out of air in there wouldn't kill her, she can just turn herself into a fish, but it'll be more convenient if she doesn't have to. After all, somewhere in the ice is a creature that managed to maul a brine cur, and she wants to be ready if she meets it.

She pauses again on the way down to reassure the dogs, telling them she'll be back before too long, and in the meantime they should stick together and follow Valos. Then she's off into the ice, on a whim picking a tunnel that leads vaguely downwards.

Blue will use Wits for the Survival rolls, adding two dice to this one via Excellency.

Wits+Survival: [roll0]

Stamina+Resistance: [roll1]

OracleofSilence
2017-06-05, 05:23 AM
Dian glides silently into the tunnels after Blue, wincing slightly at the bitter cold even as he wonders at the massive ice crystal. There was likely danger within of course, but currently the exotic sight held most of his attention, despite the uncomfortable chill. The coldest water would either lead to the depths, or towards the center, and as he searches, he lets the quite wash of the oceans essence direct him. It had always served as a decent guide thus far.

I am a little uncertain if this qualifies for Mother Sea Mastery. This might fall under Moving Effectively or safely, and is indeed a survival role, if not a one to find sustenance. I'll leave that up to your determination. It almost certainly doesn't trigger for the Stamina+Resistance of course. Probably a 1 die stunt. Raw Attribute rolls goooo!

Wits+Survival: [roll0]

Stamina+Resistance: [roll1]

Edit: could have gone worse, I suppose. Not much, but it could have.

Ifni
2017-06-10, 02:39 PM
Ye Thuza

The cold bites deep into Ye Thuza's flesh, for the first time reaching the point of real pain, even fortified as she is by the essence of Wood. The section of tunnel she is entering now is a little wider; it is speckled by small holes on both sides, the cross-currents tugging at her as she swims.

Suddenly, three creatures emerge from the holes, arrowing toward her; they resemble slender fish, with gray-and-white markings that render them difficult to see against the ice walls. Their mouthparts consist of rotating rings of gleaming, crystalline teeth, sparking with the same blue-green light as the depths of the iceberg.

Ye Thuza can give me a Join Battle roll, please.

Dian

Dian moves easily through the tunnels, aided by the echoes of that ancient Sea that once marched against the Flame. The ocean's Essence sings to him, tugs at him, drawing him down passageways that a mortal swimmer might discard out-of-hand. The chill of the water is a drain on his strength, but not yet enough to hamper him.

But quickly he finds himself entering icier waters still, where the cold bites deep enough to stop a mortal's heart. He can see faint shadows moving through the translucent ice - his allies? Other inhabitants of this berg? The light that casts the shadows is not only sunlight from above, but a clear turquoise glow from ahead and downward.

Blue Yarrow

The sea is Blue's element, and Luna shaped her for survival, but still this is a new experience. Her tunnel slopes downward for a while before leveling out, and she finds herself making more decisions, at crossroads after crossroads; she tucks away the memory of the intersections for her return journey. Occasionally she finds a dead end and has to turn back, but she feels she is making steady progress. At least, the water is growing colder, although so far she still feels comfortable enough.

1 level of bashing damage to Dian. Two levels of lethal damage to Ye Thuza.

Can I get another set of navigation + resistance rolls from Dian and Blue?

Valos

Left behind outside the iceberg, the time passes peacefully enough for Valos. The sailors on board the ship are clearly nervous, but discipline seems to be holding. With Blue's departure, the brine curs huddle close to the remaining Lunar, their tails tucked down and their demeanor nervous.

Then something seems to perturb them; first one dog begins barking, and then the others join in.

Valos can roll me Perception+Awareness, please? Also let me know if there's anything she wants to investigate from the outside of the berg, while she's waiting.

Kaworu
2017-06-11, 07:34 AM
Ye Thuza

The longer she swam, the colder it was. In fact, the experience was QUITE painful. Young Sidereal started to doubt her decision. What if she will die here, in this cool and unfriendly waters? She wasn't afraid of the death itself, for as an agent of Yu-Shan she knew well she will get reincarnated (both her soul and exaltation), but she truly wanted to help the people of Petraya - and her grave would be the end of that.

Then, she saw the strange creatures. If her instinct and theory was right, they were guardians of prison of the lost god - and for that she needed to fight them. She let her Essence flow through her and took a battle stance, ready for them.

Charms used:

1 automatic success from 2nd Martial Arts Excellency + Eyes Of The Wood Dragon + Soul-Marking Strike.

I will also use 1 automatic success from 2nd Dodge Excellency per any incoming attack.

OracleofSilence
2017-06-15, 06:41 PM
Dian maintains his steady decent, circling smoothly down the passage towards the light source. It was deeper, yes, and the cold would surely grow more intense, but there was nowhere to go but down. Besides, those movements looked interesting and these seemed like a way to get to them.

Maintaining the fastest safe speed, unenhanced by MSM.

Ifni
2017-06-24, 07:52 PM
Ye Thuza lashes out with a foot and connects squarely with the closest of the creatures; she can sense the unseen brand burning on its pallid skin. Yet it hesitates only a moment before rushing onward, its maw opening wide as it tries to latch onto the young Sidereal's leg. The other creatures attack as well, boring mouths snapping for her arms.

Initiative:
Tick 0 - Ye Thuza
Tick 1 - L1, L2
Tick 3 - L3
---current tick
Tick 5 - Ye Thuza
Tick 6 - L1, L2
Tick 3 - L3

L1: branded

Kaworu
2017-06-25, 09:09 AM
Ye Thuza

Without much thinking, the young Sidereal kicked powerfully into the flesh of creature, enhancing her attack with Essence. It was good so far, but the enemy still stood.

Unafraid, Thuza used her Essence to empower her dodges, moving like a leaf in the wind in the cold, deep waters. Her long, black hair and green Essence were following her swift movements, making her look more like some kind of an exotic dancer, rather than a martial artist.

When she saw an opening, she attacked the first enemy again, this time trying to punch him with her fist.

1 automatic success per attack from 2nd Dodge Excellency.
1 automatic success to attack (punch with the fist) the first creature from 2nd Martial Arts Excellency.

Ifni
2017-06-25, 02:07 PM
Ye Thuza flows around the creatures' attacks as if she were a sprite of water herself, graceful as a rippling stream. Two of the creatures' maws snap shut on empty water; the third bites down hard, but she manages to maneuver so it bites at her shoulder rather than her forearm, and even its diamond-like teeth skitter off her starmetal armor.

In the moment while the first one regroups, Ye Thuza kicks off the tunnel wall and drives a hard punch into its midsection, following the burning line in her mind that leads to the mark she set on her target's soul. The creature's hide is tough and has a slimy feel to it; while she has harmed it, it doesn't feel like a decisive blow.

Damage is just 2B from her strength, plus threshold successes. After taking into account its bashing soak, damage is: [roll0].

Ifni
2017-06-25, 02:18 PM
The creatures writhe around Ye Thuza, snapping fiercely at those parts of her skin that are uncovered by gleaming starmetal. The one she has branded and bruised seems particularly angry, and it moves in front of her, coiling and writhing and blocking her passage down the tunnel.

Same as last time, except they are using Fierce Blows to try to help break Hardness, and L1 is channeling a Virtue.

Attack rolls:
[roll0]
EDIT: 13 sux, goes down to 12 sux due to Fierce Blows.
[roll1]
EDIT: 12 sux, goes down to 11 sux due to Fierce Blows.
[roll2]
EDIT: 9 sux, goes down to 8 sux due to Fierce Blows.

Initiative:
Tick 0 - Ye Thuza
Tick 1 - L1, L2
Tick 3 - L3
Tick 5 - Ye Thuza
Tick 6 - L1, L2
Tick 8 - L3
Tick 10 - Ye Thuza
Tick 11 -L1, L2
Tick 13 - L3

L1: branded, 1 damage

Kaworu
2017-06-26, 01:51 PM
Ye Thuza

The young Sidereal started to wonder if she will be able to win. Her studies focused on agility over brutal force, and while she certainly had no problem to hit, delivering bruises was a much harder task.

She used all her Personal Essence and some of Peripheral, thought she believed which kind and how much doesn't matter. That far East Immaculate Teachings weren't an issue, especially considering that her Anima wasn't especially Solar- or Lunar-like.

She was still moving in the water, glowing green from her Form charm and some blue in addiction. One could say that her's were the colors of the ocean she was swimming in.

Her position wasn't that bad. She suffered some pain, but her Wood Dragon Form would quickly take care of that. Now, she should focus on attacking.

Moving lightly like a delphin, she dodged the attacks of her enemies. Just like a tree during a storm, she bended, moving with the flow rather than against it. The great warrior always knew when and how to practice the movement, instead of forcing his ungraceful way into the battlefield.

Then, she kicked again, another time choosing the first fish. She didn't enhance the strike this round, instead just believing in her training and Seven Leaping Dragon Stone she possessed. Her first burst forth like a deadly cobra, aiming at the face of the adversary. Behind her, in slower motion, followed bubbles and cold currents, making it somehow majestic.

11m spent and 5m committed.
Still adding 2m/1 bonus success per attack.
No enhancing strike this time.

Ifni
2017-06-28, 02:01 AM
Ye Thuza

While Ye Thuza sways in the current as gracefully as a willow in the wind, blue and green light rippling around her, the fish-creatures have better luck or better strategy this time; two of the three manage to clamp down on her forearm and leg, their diamond-like teeth boring into her flesh. Blood drips slowly from the points of contact, and she feels a sense of draining that goes beyond the physical - her very Essence is being drawn away by these parasitic creatures!

But the strength of the woodland in springtime flows through her veins, fighting back the cold. Her kick takes the creature in its midsection, perfectly aimed and connecting with deadly force.

OK. First, to be clear, this is the end of tick 10; the monsters are acting next. I'm going to wait to resolve their actions until we finish resolving Ye Thuza's attack.

Ye Thuza takes two levels of lethal damage (bad luck with that roll!) and loses four motes of Essence, on tick 6. Note that L1 and L2 are now locked on; they'll be easier to hit now, but can keep draining blood and Essence on subsequent turns. She can attempt a Strength+Athletics roll to get them off, but it's reasonably difficult, so it may be quicker just to kill them.

Since at the start of her tick she heals the remaining level of damage she was carrying around from the environmental damage earlier, she doesn't have a wound penalty for her attack - as of tick 10 she has two levels of damage, filling her -0 boxes.

Her attack has 14 successes (13 sux + the extra success from the mark), and hits easily. (You can use the Fierce Blows option to add 3 dice of raw damage in exchange to taking a -1 external penalty on your attack roll - slightly lowers the chance of hitting, but if you hit, it gives you another 2 dice of damage.)

Initiative:
(start of combat: Ye Thuza has two LHL damage)
Tick 0 - Ye Thuza - heals 1 LHL
Tick 1 - L1, L2
Tick 3 - L3
Tick 5 - Ye Thuza
Tick 6 - L1, L2
Tick 8 - L3
Tick 10 - Ye Thuza - heals 1 LHL
---------current time
Tick 11 - L1, L2
Tick 13 - L3

L1: branded, 1 level of damage

Dian

The water is definitely getting colder. Much colder. The waters of the Isle were never this cold.

The light source seems to be flickering, and the colors seem deeper - more green, and leaf-green rather than sea-green, and deeper shades of blue as well. Except...

At the next curve in the tunnel, the view becomes clearer: this is a different light, and it is coming from behind and above him, not forward and below. Silhouetted against the radiance, a slender human shape is surrounded by long narrow shadows; their movements are slowed by the water, but still it doesn't look like a friendly encounter.

Whatever is happening, it is in another tunnel - but not far away. Dian has already explored the region where the shadows are struggling, and has some sense for how the tunnels connect to each other; he can probably get there fairly quickly, given his swimming speed. But it will mean going backward, rather than forward; more time spent in the icy currents, if he still intends to reach the center.

Ahead and below, the turquoise glow beckons. Behind him shines Venus' blue radiance, mingled with the verdant green of the Isle's forests.

Dian has 4 dice of lethal environmental damage incoming. This can be soaked by natural soak (and Charms that boost it), but not by armor. I know he has at least 1 point of natural lethal soak, so I'm going to roll 3 dice; we can remove them from the end if he has defenses.
[roll0]

He can choose to use his action this round to keep heading in toward the center, or head back toward Ye Thuza's position. Let me know your preference. Oracle: if you choose the latter, you can roll Join Battle.

Kaworu
2017-06-28, 08:30 AM
Ye Thuza

Thuza would swear, if not being underwater. She did everything she could to avoid attacks and hit, she was practicing martial arts her whole life, yet the fight was being harder and harder. Was this because her Sifu trained her in one-to-one encounters, and this time her opponents had an unfair advantage? Or maybe because the water was quite dense and slowing her down? She didn’t know, but she had to do something.

This time her kick wasn’t graceful and full of finesse. It was a sheer brute force, intended to kick the teeth (literally!) of her adversary. It was like a deadly snake, a trunk of a dead tree falling down, like a stomp of an elephant. Her were fury and power, and poisonous, yet exploding with life Essence of the Wood Dragon.

Still, she tried as much as she could to avoid the attacks of the third enemy, thought in her current position she believed it was meant to be meaningless. How could she dodge, where two heavy fish-like creatures were biting into her very flesh like piranhas? Yet, she kept dodging-dancing, swirling around in the cold current, as graceful as she was able in her situation. While her attack had a strength of anaconda, her movements had her agility, hypnotism, and beauty.

There was still hope for her in this encounter.

Soul marking strike to L1 plus kick with Fierce Blow.
No Martial Arts Excellency, but I will use +1 automatic success from Dodge Excellency to avoid getting hit by L3.