PDA

View Full Version : Any non-zombie post-apocalypse shows out there?

Jeivar
2016-09-21, 05:27 AM
I never cease to find the post-apocalypse a fascinating setting, due to the way it resets all the rules. But I'm getting pretty tired of zombies.

Is there anything else to be found? Drama, horror, action, whatever.

Fri
2016-09-21, 05:45 AM
Hmm... There's lot of movies or novels out there, but for shows...

Does it have to be live action? I can think a few interesting anime subversion (like cozy post-apocalyptic slice or life where everyone already resigned on mankind's demise and decide on living the rest on the fullest).

For live action series, never actually watched them but..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_(TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_%28TV_series%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_%28TV_series%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shannara_Chronicles

comicshorse
2016-09-21, 05:54 AM
There's 'The Strain', that's about Vampires, so no Zombies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/?ref_=nv_sr_1

(and its more the Apocalypse happening and, maybe, being prevented)

Ark Evensong
2016-09-21, 12:44 PM
I'm reminded of Jericho (2006 - 2008), about an american town that escapes nuclear annihilation.

Don't remember it that well, so not really sure if it was any good, or even if I finished it. But I do remember small town politics/drama following nuclear apocalypse.

BiblioRook
2016-09-21, 02:23 PM
Revolution (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/) comes to mind, a show about the aftermath of when electricity stops working all at once globally.

Also a rare comedic example that still fits, The Last Man On Earth (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230454/).

Hopeless
2016-09-21, 02:36 PM
Does the Last ship (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs) count?

Kid Jake
2016-09-21, 02:59 PM
I remember liking Jeremiah years back, but I'm not sure how it holds up. Premise is that everyone over like 13 died off and then the kids had to sort of reinvent the wheel over the next decade or so.

hamishspence
2016-09-21, 03:20 PM
I recall a show called Tribe that was along those basic "All adults die out shortly before the show starts" lines.

Palanan
2016-09-21, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by BiblioRook
Revolution comes to mind, a show about the aftermath of when electricity stops working all at once globally.

It was pretty terrible, though. I could only stand the first few episodes, and apparently it didn't really improve after that.

Originally Posted by Hopeless
Does The Last Ship count?

This one sort of counts, because it starts out with a developing apocalypse that only gets worse. The first season is reasonably good, apart from every episode being a full-length recruiting commercial for the U.S. Navy.

The second season is only quasi-apocalyptic, because they encounter more and more survivors organized into settlements and remnant communities, and the storylines are much less impressive. The third season is patently terrible, and I quit watching partway through--mainly because the story arc is padded and absurd, but also because the reconstruction of America seemed to fall into place much too quickly, and we never really get a sense of the rebuilding or how much of the country is even inhabited.

If you like booyah small-unit action, dramatic ship-to-ship engagements and pursuit, cat-and-mouse with enemy commanders and some more or less accurate science, the first couple seasons might be worth watching, but be sure to dial your brain way down. It's big dumb fun, and the ship itself is gorgeous--but despite the oceanic setting, don't expect anything deeper than a thimble from the characters or the writing.

kraftcheese
2016-09-21, 09:24 PM
I recall a show called Tribe that was along those basic "All adults die out shortly before the show starts" lines.
That was the Canadian/New Zealand Young Adult show, right?

The kids all lived in a mall?

t209
2016-09-21, 09:49 PM
This one sort of counts, because it starts out with a developing apocalypse that only gets worse. The first season is reasonably good, apart from every episode being a full-length recruiting commercial for the U.S. Navy.

The second season is only quasi-apocalyptic, because they encounter more and more survivors organized into settlements and remnant communities, and the storylines are much less impressive. The third season is patently terrible, and I quit watching partway through--mainly because the story arc is padded and absurd, but also because the reconstruction of America seemed to fall into place much too quickly, and we never really get a sense of the rebuilding or how much of the country is even inhabited.

If you like booyah small-unit action, dramatic ship-to-ship engagements and pursuit, cat-and-mouse with enemy commanders and some more or less accurate science, the first couple seasons might be worth watching, but be sure to dial your brain way down. It's big dumb fun, and the ship itself is gorgeous--but despite the oceanic setting, don't expect anything deeper than a thimble from the characters or the writing.
And for video game version, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. At least the idea of military trying to rebuild civilization and defeat bandits along the way.

Razade
2016-09-21, 09:59 PM
Technically Adventure Time. It's technically Post Apoc and it technically doesn't have zombies. Do you count Seinfeld? If that's not Post Apoc then it's during the Apoc considering how terrible the humor it is. Only cockroaches can escape it unscathed.

hamishspence
2016-09-22, 01:24 AM
That was the Canadian/New Zealand Young Adult show, right?

The kids all lived in a mall?

Yup - I saw a few episodes but never followed the whole thing through from beginning to end.

kraftcheese
2016-09-22, 01:31 AM
Yup - I saw a few episodes but never followed the whole thing through from beginning to end.
Yeah I think I saw bits and pieces in reruns here; it wasn't TOO bad for a live-action, youth oriented show, considering how bad a lot of live action kids programming is.

kraftcheese
2016-09-22, 01:35 AM
Technically Adventure Time. It's technically Post Apoc and it technically doesn't have zombies. Do you count Seinfeld? If that's not Post Apoc then it's during the Apoc considering how terrible the humor it is. Only cockroaches can escape it unscathed.
I never got the people that hate Seinfeld; I thought it still holds up pretty well today as genuinely funny, and my only experience with it is in the last few years (except for maybe one or two episodes I saw as a kid).

For you, is it just that the jokes have all been done to death since then in other shows, or just oversaturation because you've seen the same episodes again and again or something else? I'm really interested to know

Razade
2016-09-22, 01:54 AM
I never got the people that hate Seinfeld; I thought it still holds up pretty well today as genuinely funny, and my only experience with it is in the last few years (except for maybe one or two episodes I saw as a kid).

For you, is it just that the jokes have all been done to death since then in other shows, or just oversaturation because you've seen the same episodes again and again or something else? I'm really interested to know

It's more than Seinfeld has always been about the anti-joke. It never went far enough. I'm not discrediting it as a great show or one that effected media in general. It's just didn't go far enough and it doesn't deserve the praise it gets. It's the Beatles of sitcoms. Was it popular? Sure. Did it push the boundaries? Yes. Is it as great as people think due to nostalgia? No.

BWR
2016-09-22, 10:56 AM

For my sake, I don't hate it, it is just devoid of humor. I gave it a shot. I really tried to. Some of my friends kept talking about how great it was, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I watched several episodes and for a while if I came across an episode while channel surfing I would try watching it. It just was not funny at all. It was just unlikable jackasses being non-funny with a laugh track to try to convince me it was funny.

On topic, does anime count? Because there's a ton of post-apocalyptic anime and manga.

kraftcheese
2016-09-22, 06:48 PM
For my sake, I don't hate it, it is just devoid of humor. I gave it a shot. I really tried to. Some of my friends kept talking about how great it was, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I watched several episodes and for a while if I came across an episode while channel surfing I would try watching it. It just was not funny at all. It was just unlikable jackasses being non-funny with a laugh track to try to convince me it was funny.

On topic, does anime count? Because there's a ton of post-apocalyptic anime and manga.
Horses for courses and all that, I guess!

Rodin
2016-09-22, 08:35 PM
Waterworld!

*ducks*

DeadpanSal
2016-09-22, 09:30 PM
Let's see. Shows that happen post-apocalypse without zombies...

Trigun is one, there was an event on earth that led to a new desert planet. Firefly is along those same lines. And then Buffy had at least three apocalypses... but there's the odd zombie episode or two. Adventure Time is a weird example too, because it's a stable world (just without humans). But it isn't a consistently good show at all.

If only there were a Netflix series for Mad Max.

Cikomyr
2016-09-22, 09:40 PM
Waterworld!

*ducks*

For the Kevin Costner Apocalyptic Duology, you need to also count The Postman.

...I liked that movie..

Kislath
2016-09-22, 11:12 PM
Into the Badlands is pretty cool, and coming back next year.