PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Meld into Moving Stone

Xanti
2016-09-21, 11:06 AM
I have a large body of stone, in constant planetary-esque motion on a plane resembling Limbo. It is moving fast enough that an attempt to "land" on it causes some impact damage due to the body of stone's motion. If someone tried to meld into stone with the face of it, would you guys say...

1. That the PC's motion ceases, they are safe in the wall of the stone, and may act normally.

2. The PC's inertia takes effect and they exit the walled they entered, finding themselves in a room, being pin-balled around a little before they are able to adapt to the sudden change in motion.

Darrin
2016-09-21, 11:36 AM
I have a large body of stone, in constant planetary-esque motion on a plane resembling Limbo. It is moving fast enough that an attempt to "land" on it causes some impact damage due to the body of stone's motion. If someone tried to meld into stone with the face of it, would you guys say...

1. That the PC's motion ceases, they are safe in the wall of the stone, and may act normally.

2. The PC's inertia takes effect and they exit the walled they entered, finding themselves in a room, being pin-balled around a little before they are able to adapt to the sudden change in motion.

There's several complicated things going on here, because I'm not sure if you're trying to model an impact with some sort of orbital collision or rotational collision. But before you get entangled in that whole mess, I think the crux of the problem is this:

The D&D rules do not really handle momentum or intertia very well (e.g., the Commoner Railgun). I'd avoid this sort of simulation at all costs, otherwise you're going to get buried in dead catgirls. So I think option #1 is your best bet.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-21, 11:44 AM
The D&D rules do not really handle momentum or intertia very well (e.g., the Commoner Railgun). I'd avoid this sort of simulation at all costs, otherwise you're going to get buried in dead catgirls. So I think option #1 is your best bet.
I concur. (Virtually) all magic in D&D handles the annoying physical details in the background, leaving the player/character (subject to IRL:IC transparency interpretations) free to teleport at will.