PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Heavy Armor Master - Curse of Strahd

Captain Bob
2016-09-21, 11:14 AM
I'm about to drop into CoS at level 3, variant human fighter. My question is how useful is heavy armor master in this campaign? I'm not looking for specific spoilers, but I'd like to know if taking this feat is going to be useless because everything deals magic damage, or there are a bajillion monsters that have magical attacks. Thanks

TentacleSurpris
2016-09-21, 11:18 AM
If you want spoilers, just pick up a copy of the book and read ahead.

Captain Bob
2016-09-21, 11:25 AM
Some background here - I'm not looking to ruin the story as experienced. However, my DM has made it abundantly clear that he isn't pulling punches, hence my interest in this feat. Thus, no, I won't look at the module. I'm looking for opinions as to how to best utilize this feat slot (since this is under optimization). If this isn't good, I don't want it.

NecroDancer
2016-09-21, 11:45 AM
I would take the lucky feat: it's useful in any situation

EvilAnagram
2016-09-21, 12:55 PM
I took it as my first feat in CoS, and it consistently came into play. I would absolutely recommend it.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-21, 03:00 PM
I took it as my first feat in CoS, and it consistently came into play. I would absolutely recommend it.

Yeah fighter had it in my group. It was very worth it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-21, 03:09 PM
On the other hand, I played a good chunk of the campaign, and we never found heavy armor better than what the paladin started with, so your mileage may vary.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-09-21, 03:59 PM
On the other hand, I played a good chunk of the campaign, and we never found heavy armor better than what the paladin started with, so your mileage may vary.

there is a very nice suit of heavy armour available, it's just a little bit difficult to get at - specifically, there's a suit of +2 Full Plate in Sergei's Tomb in Castle Ravenloft.

Vogonjeltz
2016-09-21, 05:47 PM
Some background here - I'm not looking to ruin the story as experienced. However, my DM has made it abundantly clear that he isn't pulling punches, hence my interest in this feat. Thus, no, I won't look at the module. I'm looking for opinions as to how to best utilize this feat slot (since this is under optimization). If this isn't good, I don't want it.

I mean, it makes you extremely durable against attacks that average <4 damage per hit.

So for example, Boars, Mastiffs, Panthers, Skeletons etc, will be doing very little or no damage.

That's worth a feat I'd think. At the very least it effectively extends your hit point total.

So if the opponent deals 5 damage per hit, which would normally kill your 25 hit point fighter in 5 hits, now they'd be able to survive 12 hits, a marked increase in survivability.

Ruslan
2016-09-21, 05:50 PM
Do you have an odd strength score? Do you wear heavy armor? If the answer to both questions is yes, Heavy Armor Master is your go-to feat choice.