View Full Version : Could someone help me with ECL

Fellfire
2016-09-21, 11:52 AM
Specifically, for an undead shadow (3.5)
I have read thru the guide, but without an LA, I do not know how. What is it and why? Thanks.

OldTrees1
2016-09-21, 11:58 AM
If the LA is unlisted then it has N/A LA and N/A ECL. So it is not a playable character.

Necroticplague
2016-09-21, 11:58 AM
Specifically, for an undead shadow (3.5)
I have read thru the guide, but without an LA, I do not know how. What is it and why? Thanks.

The shadow's level adjustment is the same as it's constitution score. It seems pretty clear on the SRD entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm) for them.

Somewhat more straightforwardly, a Shadow lacks a level adjustment, and is thus not a valid player race.

Fellfire
2016-09-21, 12:05 PM
I realize it is not normally a playable race, I am trying to make a Monster class per Savage Species/Libris Mortis. It is for a cohort, of sorts.

Fellfire
2016-09-21, 12:19 PM
Woops. I just found it in SS. The LA is +7 plus 3 HD for an ECL of 10, but how is the LA determined?

Name1
2016-09-21, 12:23 PM
Woops. I just found it in SS. The LA is +7 plus 3 HD for an ECL of 10, but how is the LA determined?

LA is determined the same way an attack roll is... by rolling a d20.

No, in all seriousness, LA-calculation is borked. If you want a better progression, ask Dire_Stirge.

Inevitability
2016-09-21, 12:23 PM

Varies per monster. WotC assigned points of LA based on certain traits, such as +2 for incorporeality, +1 for high ability scores, +1 for strength drain... The major problem with this is that the given LA's are much too high, resulting in near-unplayable characters. The link in my sig shows my attempts to fix this /shamelessselfpromotion.

The shadow may be okay as a character, though I still wouldn't recommend it. I'd suggest a cleric/Master of Shrouds instead, which is able to summon shadows while being a well-rounded character in itself.

EDIT: Wooooo, I got compliment-swordsaged!

Fellfire
2016-09-21, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look.