PDA

View Full Version : Dane Cook

blackout
2007-07-09, 01:28 PM
He's funny. Let's face it, people. At least a few people here have flat out cracked up at his jokes.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-09, 01:34 PM
He's funny. Let's face it, people. At least a few people here have flat out cracked up at his jokes.Same thing was often said about Gallagher back in the 80s:smallconfused:

blackout
2007-07-09, 01:52 PM
Well, I think he's funny, anyways. Your own opinions, people? Come on, some people have to have to seen him at least once on TV.

prongs43
2007-07-09, 02:06 PM
I LOVE Dane Cook. I think he's one of the funniest people to ever exist. Me and a few of my friends listen to his CDs all the time at school when we're bored.

Raven T.
2007-07-09, 02:16 PM
Same thing was often said about Gallagher back in the 80s:smallconfused:

Hey! I still like Gallagher!:smallmad:

Argent
2007-07-09, 03:16 PM
Same thing was often said about Gallagher back in the 80s:smallconfused:

True, true. I have to admit I spent a lot of time watching that guy smash up hapless, helpless fruit with a sledgehammer. I remember his non-sledge-related humor being funny and at least halfway intelligent, though.

And Dane Cook overall has got some good stuff. His humor's really juvenile and can get too out there on occasion, but the majority of the time, he's darn funny.

blackout
2007-07-09, 05:39 PM
Heh.

"Hello, welcome to Burger King, may I take your order-"
"WHOPPER!"
"Erm...what?"
"WHOPPER, NO ONIONS! WHOPPER!"
"Um...Excuse me, Chewbacca?"

Meddle
2007-07-09, 05:42 PM
I'm fan of George Carlin, myself. <_<

But yes, I must face it: Dane Cook is a funny bitch.

Midnight Son
2007-07-09, 05:53 PM
No, he is not funny. I can't count the number of times I've laughed out loud at one of his "jokes" because you can't count up to zero.

I'll second the Carlin thing though. I like a good intelligent comedian. Dane fails on all three counts.

Orzel
2007-07-09, 06:17 PM
I fail my spot checks to find his punchlines. Dane's jokes go and go then end. Then my mouth is confused on why it never opened. Then your brain goes. Like eating a very very big sandwich... with poor quality meat.

He's not funny.

Jerthanis
2007-07-09, 08:16 PM
The most I've ever heard about him is from those trivia/quote games from before the previews start in movie theatres, where he says something about how he'd rather shoot himself in the head than ever do stand up again or something.

Is he a crude humor type?

Heh.

"WHOPPER!"
"Erm...what?"

If he's making fun of how the people behind the drive-thru windows never understand what you're saying? Because that joke was done better... in the Wayne's World movie 15 years ago.

Hefty Lefty
2007-07-09, 08:40 PM
Two misquotes, sorry.

The most I've ever heard about him is from those trivia/quote games from before the previews start in movie theatres, where he says something about how he'd rather shoot himself in the head than ever do stand up again or something.

The thing in the movies says: "I'd rather learn brain surgery than start stand-up again."

"WHOPPER!"
"Erm...what?"

The Whopper joke goes as follows:
DANE (reminiscing on his job at BK): Why do people insist on yelling at the drive-thru?[...]I'd have my little headset - Hello, welcome to Burger King may I please take your order?
MAN: WHOPPER!
DANE: Sir,-
MAN: WHOPPER NO ONIONS!
DANE: Excuse me, I'm f*ckin' bleedin' from the ears here, okay? Let's turn the mane down a tad, okay, Skidrow?

I love Dane Cook, as you can plainly see from my obssesive-compulsive corrections of him. But, yes, his humor is for the common man - it's pretty blatant, pretty crude, and pretty low intelligence. Nevertheless, he's hilarious.

valadil
2007-07-10, 09:44 AM
I really wish y'all wouldn't encourage Dane like that. He's not that funny. I watched 2 of his hour long shows on comedy central and counted exactly 1 joke between the two of them. I understand that he's more into telling stories than punchlines, but still, that's kind of weak.

That said, I think Cook is remarkably charismatic. I'd probably enjoy one of his shows if I saw him live, but that's not enough to make him funny IMHO. I'd also be really curious to see him do someone else's material though, because there's no denying that he knows how to handle himself on stage, it's just the material that's lacking.

For the record I prefer stuff like George Carlin, Dave Attell, Patton Oswalt, and David Cross.

Wolfgang
2007-07-10, 11:53 AM
That said, I think Cook is remarkably charismatic.

You nailed it, although his charisma is why I find him so funny. The man can make anything sound hilarious to me.

Siric
2007-07-10, 12:06 PM
I'm fan of George Carlin, myself. <_<

But yes, I must face it: Dane Cook is a funny bitch.

Yes, they are both quite humorous, and different styles as well ^_^

Surprisingly, Dane Cook is always a fairly good actor. I enjoyed him in "Mr. Brooks". Excellent film.

valadil
2007-07-10, 12:55 PM
You nailed it, although his charisma is why I find him so funny. The man can make anything sound hilarious to me.

That's not enough for me. I spent a few years in college writing sketch comedy and it's left me jadedly analytical when it comes to comedy. Dane Cook is an awesome performer, I won't take that away from him, but I've written much better material material. If you could pair him off with someone who writes well but has no charisma, say Colin Quinn, they'd be unstoppable. As it is, Dane can go rot in myspace fan service land and quit using up comedy central air time. He's hardly any better than the repeats of Mad TV they insist on airing in spite of my complaints.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-07-10, 03:01 PM
I have to agree, Dane Cook is great. The Kool-Aid man one is my favorite.

Lucky
2007-07-10, 03:26 PM
I love Dane Cook, as you can plainly see from my obssesive-compulsive corrections of him. Yes, but at the same time, you failed. The "Um...Excuse me, Chewbacca?" was also done by Dane Cook, as he the does the same routine many times, and I doubt any of them are exactly the same. I have heard at least three versions of Burger King.

All of them suck.

magicwalker
2007-07-10, 03:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of his style of humor.

It's very physical, and his entire performance can be humorous.. but in the realm of Stand-Up comedy there are only a few big fish:

Lewis Black, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedburg, plus some others.. but definitely not including Dane Cook.

Funny? Sure, I guess. Hilarious? Not so much.

Flabbicus
2007-07-10, 05:42 PM
I really should delete him from my iPod he hasn't made me laugh in over a year. I actually payed for the Retaliation album. Why did I waste my money instead of buying some good classic rock or metal?

Out he goes.

s.donahue
2007-07-10, 05:42 PM
I like Dane Cook, Lewis Black, Dave Attell, Daniel Tosh, Louis C.K., Dimitri Martin, all those guys. I just recently discovered Louis C.K. and he's pretty raunchy sometimes, but I can't stop laughing.

Nomrom
2007-07-10, 06:03 PM
I like Dane Cook. Sure, there are definitely other comedians out there who are funnier than him, but he still makes me laugh so I enjoy listening to his stuff too.

Samiam303
2007-07-10, 06:23 PM
I'm of the opinion that while he has some funny JOKES, as a comedian he himself is unfunny.

I mean seriously. Just turning EVERY SINGLE BIT into a sex joke doesn't stay funny for very long.

Nevrmore
2007-07-11, 12:02 AM
Dane Cook's humor is based on exagerration. He takes a story about something that happened to him that, on its own might be mildly funny, then tries to tell it in a manner wherein he gives every character that he's playing a strange voice and accentuates oral noises to the point of absurdity. I think he's pretty funny.

Now Carlin, who I would like to go on the record to state is my favorite comedian, is the more intelligent type of comedian, the one who doesn't talk about stories from his life, he talks about issues on his mind. His humor is funny on several levels, the most basic of which being that his solutions to the world's problems has a habit of involving hideous torture.

Catch
2007-07-11, 12:12 AM
Dane Cook is a plebeian comic and is wholly unfunny.

The man's entire repertoire consists of inane stories told in a silly exaggerated voice. He's the adult equivalent of a birthday party clown.

And I am so sick of people constantly repeating his jokes. They're not funny when you say it. It's barely amusing when he says it. Do my brain a favor and just don't.

zeratul
2007-07-11, 12:12 AM
I find him funny, he's not the best though. He does have some intelligent humor (the entire thing about women being mental terrorists is so true), but he's no Eddie Izzard.

Nevrmore
2007-07-11, 12:43 AM
I find him funny, he's not the best though. He does have some intelligent humor (the entire thing about women being mental terrorists is so true), but he's no Eddie Izzard.
I think I'm the only person who doesn't find Izzard funny.

valadil
2007-07-11, 10:04 AM
I think I'm the only person who doesn't find Izzard funny.

Nah, there are at least two of us. I'm biased against him though because I despise the person who introduced me to Izzard.

AdversusVeritas
2007-07-11, 10:18 AM
I used to think he was hilarious, but then I watched his more recent stuff and couldn't manage to even chuckle during his whole performance. Now when I go back and listen to his old stuff, I just find him annoying. I wouldn't say that he is untalented, he just got real old real fast.

That and he made fun of Kiefer Sutherland's film career. I'm kind of biased there; I'm totally obsessed with Sutherlands. I realize it was a roast, but seriously, Dane Cook making fun of someone else's film career?

Missing Shoe
2007-07-11, 10:51 AM
"Dane you're a riot!"
"I'm a riot?! You're a ***** riot!!"

Put me in the "Dane is hilarious" group. Yes, its observational and childish most of the time, but its dang fine observational and childish humor. Dane is definitely a BAMF. I love nothing fights, exaggeration, but my personal favorite would have to be:

Dane: "If I could grant you one super power right now what would it be?"
Crowd Member: "Ah jesus..."
Dane: "You want to be jesus? You're such an egotistical bastard. Ah jesus! ...I'd like to cover him with spaghetti right about now. Hehe...oh ...christ....not you."

mooseofshadows
2007-07-11, 10:57 AM
He's not my favorite comedian, but he is pretty funny. I prefer Demetri Martin's brand of comedy, really.

Imrahil
2007-07-11, 11:25 AM
For the record, I love stand-up comedy. I've seen TV specials, listened to recordings, and I've even made my way down to the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal. Once, I even did some open mic stand-up myself (I was the audience's favourite). Given that, I think I can say that I know my stuff.

Dane Cook is simply not funny. People may disagree with me, and that's fine, since we all have different tastes when it comes to one's sense of humour. However, almost every comedian I see, whether it be the greats or some of the not-so-greats, I can find at least something humorous about their acts. Dane Cook simply doesn't do that for me.

Nevrmore
2007-07-11, 06:40 PM
He's not my favorite comedian, but he is pretty funny. I prefer Demetri Martin's brand of comedy, really.
Yeah, Martin and Hedburg's spontaneous non-sequitor joke style is teh funny.

zeratul
2007-07-11, 06:56 PM
Yeah, Martin and Hedburg's spontaneous non-sequitor joke style is teh funny.

I love Martin, and hedberg. But I tend to prefer commedians like Izzard, or John Stewart.

karmuno
2007-07-12, 06:45 PM
Dane Cook and Dimitri Martin are my two favorite living stand-up comedians. I love Dane Cook for his over-the-topness and how different he is from other comedians on Comedy Central, and Dimitri Martin because of his tone, which contrasts with his surreal-ish material. And also the way he uses visuals. For example: "This is a chart about procrastination" *displaying a drawing of an empty circle* Also the way he exploits language, such as: "I'm going to get a bunch of hermit crabs and force them to mingle" (probably misquoted).

Yeah...

Thes Hunter
2007-07-13, 03:52 PM
Gallagher had a schitck. That being he exploded things with a very large mallet.

It is amusing but can become old.

I do find Dane Cook funny. And I find it interesting that there seems to be an age line on who finds him funny versus who doesn't.

I find that Burger King thing very funny. Now, I don't know why I do versus other people my age... because I am sure many other people who are my age or older have also worked in fast food. So it would be interesting what level the humor it hitting me, versus other people. (and if there is a true age demarkation that I think there is)

But I really like his bit about nothing fights.... because it's soooooo true. And I know that is part of what I like about his humor, because it is taking a humorous perspective on the mundane grind of life.

O.T.R
2007-07-13, 04:06 PM
Aside from the occasional bit (with you on the 'nothign fights' routine) he pushes the wacky frat-boy schtick which is just tiring to me.

People's love for comedians usually has less to do with age barriers or routines than how much you can tolerate their stage persona, and Dane is just far too smarmy for me. I like my stand-ups ****ed-off, intellectual (comparatively) and black as your socks. Carlin, Bruce, Hicks, Pryor, Cross, Dylan Moran, Lewis Black etc.

Thes Hunter
2007-07-13, 05:02 PM
Aside from the occasional bit (with you on the 'nothign fights' routine) he pushes the wacky frat-boy schtick which is just tiring to me.

People's love for comedians usually has less to do with age barriers or routines than how much you can tolerate their stage persona, and Dane is just far too smarmy for me. I like my stand-ups ****ed-off, intellectual (comparatively) and black as your socks. Carlin, Bruce, Hicks, Pryor, Cross, Dylan Moran, Lewis Black etc.

Long live the Late Great Bill Hicks.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-13, 07:11 PM
I can't listen to him all the time, but he can be hilarious. Just the way he says some things I find really entertaining.
I use the "It makes me want to punch babies" line for things that annoy me:smallbiggrin:
Ooohhh that and Dane is a big Dark Tower (Stephen King) fan. He uses 19 and says 'gunslinger' on occasion. I want to hold up a big sign of the Crimson King's eye at one of his concerts and see if he mentions it.
Err sorry those of who who aren't obsessed with SK aren't going to get any of that....I meant "yes, he's funny! HaHA!"

I do love the Eddie Izzard, though (spelling).

squidthingy
2007-07-13, 07:14 PM
He is ocassionally funny, but there are a lot of better comedians out there, from what I've seen he is way overrated