PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build idea; Abyss Watcher/ Watchdog of Farron Build?

Nishant
2016-09-21, 01:42 PM
So, I'm a huge Dark Souls nerd, and I actually got invited to play a Dark souls-esque campaign. (There are some homebrew rules for kindling/ hollowing, etc.) But at any point, I was wondering what builds or classes would work best for each of the ideas?

Artorias; Sword and board if uncorrupted, otherwise great weapon master as far as fighting style goes. Would he fall under a vengeance or Oathbreaker Paladin? Or perhaps new ranger with abberations and undead as favored enemy?

Abyss Watcher; Two weapon fighting, assuming that they also take the associated fighting style and feat. We'll have to cut down the greatsword to a longsword, but that's fine. I still think new ranger would work with them, with either hunter or underdark scout being the archetype, but do you think they'd multiclass into fighter?

Exile/ knight of Farron; still possibly a fighter, but i can see the argument for fighter as well. I'd probably use a greatsword under this build idea.

As a note, we're being allowed to use Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter base class on the DM's Guild.

Any notes to refine this? I'm having trouble deciding really, though I'm leading more 'Abyss Watcher' build

As for 'Race' (They're using race more like a set of features that you get, given the nature of the campaign), I'll likely go half-orc, variant human, or wood elf.

LostHanyou
2016-09-21, 08:21 PM
Artorias could actually fit as a paladin/warlock with the warlock levels representing the corruption of the abyss, though I can see full oathbreaker/vengeance as well. Perhaps start as devotion and switch to oathbreaker at some point that makes sense in the story. Variant human with GWM seems solid either way.

Abyss watchers - I think ranger would fit just fine thematically, but since you said blood hunter is available I think that might fit even better. You'd have a source of radiant damage with bh as well, which I feel could be important in a dark souls campaign. Two weapon fighting for sure, and I probably wouldn't even multi-class fighter regardless if you pick bh or ranger. You probably won't want heavy armor and you'll probably want dex/wis/con, so strength could be a dump stat depending on how you want to build your character. Strength focus could work but would require higher stats - perhaps if you're rolling.

Nishant
2016-09-21, 09:28 PM
That makes a lot of sense. And yeah, we roll for stats if we want. What pact would work best do you think?