PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Question about Charnel Touch and Tomb-Tainted Soul

Zypher
2016-09-21, 05:00 PM
I know this has been asked before but i'm here to ask again for clarity sake.I'm making a character as a DM for another player A Tibbit Dread Necromancer, anyhow on to the point.

With Charnel Touch from the Dread Necromancer it says that you can deal 1d8+1/4 CL of negative energy damage to the living or heal undead by 1+1/4CL

Tomb-Tainted Soul on the other hand says
You are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if you were an undead creature. This feat gives no other penalties or benefits of the undead type.

all the arguments i've seen have said yes, you can heal yourself but seem to only think you can heal yourself by 1+1/4CL

In my mind Tomb-Tainted Soul doesn't change your type to undead, there for your charnel touch could only be applied as an attack to yourself which would mean you would deal a potential 1d8+1/4 CL to yourself, that would then be converted by Tomb-Tainted soul healing you the damage you would have been dealt.

I would just like Clarification as to which is correct and if my line of thinking is wrong then why. I know healing yourself for that much hp at will per turn is massively broken.

Thank you for your time.

Name1
2016-09-21, 05:08 PM
The thing is, you don't just heal via negative energy, you heal via negative energy as if you were an undead creature. This is important in cases such as this, as well as in Harm/Heal cases.

I would thus agree that you can heal yourself by 1+1/4CL hit points by using that ability.

NinjaTBB
2016-09-21, 05:11 PM
The thing is, you don't just heal via negative energy, you heal via negative energy as if you were an undead creature. This is important in cases such as this, as well as in Harm/Heal cases.

I would thus agree that you can heal yourself by 1+1/4CL hit points by using that ability.

I am in agreement. The way I read Tomb-Tainted Soul is that for all purposes involving positive/negative energy, you are treated as undead. That undead qualifier is what gives you the 1+1/4CL rather than the 1d8+1/4CL.

Deophaun
2016-09-21, 05:12 PM
I know healing yourself for that much hp at will per turn is massively broken.
Huh? How?

But, as for your question you heal "as if you were an undead creature." If you were an undead creature, Charnel Touch would heal 1+1/4 CL. So you heal 1+1/4CL.

There is actually no general rule that negative energy must heal undead, and all common sources of negative energy damage will break out how undead react to it. Without that specific mention, Charnel Touch would do nothing to an undead creature.

Inevitability
2016-09-22, 01:33 AM
I know healing yourself for that much hp at will per turn is massively broken.

I know, right! At low levels, it allows the party cleric to partially escape his role as healbot! What if he prepares actually useful spells because of that? And the necromancer only had to invest a feat and a class level in it! I mean, it's not like you can get rapid HP recovery for less than that!

Then at mid-levels, the party has to buy a few less wands of Lesser Vigor, essentially netting them over 2000 GP! You can buy a +1 amulet of natural armor with that!

And let's not start on the overpowering strength of this combo at high levels! Healing yourself from 0 to 130 HP in only a few minutes? It's not like clerics can do the same thing with a single action, is it?