PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock game in 5e rules?

Baptor
2016-09-21, 05:14 PM
I'm playing through the new remastered Bioshock games. Man what a series.

I've contemplated running a game similar to Bioshock where you have an "everyman" who through plasmids, tonics, weapons, etc becomes a powerful adventurer.

I wonder how this might be accomplished through 5e rules?

I figured some kind of base, perhaps d6 or d8 hp (upgradable through plasmids of course) and using the proficiency bonus as the baseline for everything.

As the characters progress they can find plasmids and alter their genes to gain passive and active powers, perhaps similar to spells and class features?

Anyone ever done this or have ideas/tips to share?

lunaticfringe
2016-09-21, 05:56 PM
There was a 5e Modern Homebrew that looked pretty good awhile back I read. It wasn't Finished, but it might be now. That would just make the PCs Tough, Strong, Fast, Smart, Dedicated, Charismatic Hero's instead of a Druid or Wizard. Then Plasmids unlock Supernatural Special Thingies like Rage or Eldritch Blast (ooh pretty warlock Invocations as Tonics & Plasmids).

Spell Point Like System probably
Use the Spell Maker part of the DMG for Plasmids
Plasmids Are Milestone Rewards for Definitely, you can't buy em Foolish PC
They can buy ugrades for them though. figure out the Plasmids, then think of a couple upgrades for them (again look at warlock & it's Invocations, Agonizing Blast)
Damage Plasmids should scale with level like Cantrip

All I got in the bean so far I may come up with more ideas & maybe try & find modern 5e & take a look.

Socratov
2016-09-22, 04:36 AM
While I like the idea I think 5e might not be the best system for it. This is because DnD makes use of classes with a locked down set of powers. While funnily enough 3.5 might work due to it's Incarnum subsystem. Though that brings a whole new set of problems and questions.

While I might seem pushing it, I think systems Like Anima Prime, NWoD or GURPs might work better since it's system does not use classes but rather a talent 'buying' system. Those talents or powers could very well be an acquired set of tonics and ADAMs. Though fair warning, Anima Prime does not use levels in terms of power, but rather a set of powers and skills. Versatility makes for a more important power curve then direct power. This means that like in 5e enemies stay relevant throughout the game.

GlenSmash!
2016-09-22, 06:37 PM
The Bloodhunter Class from the Dungeonmasters guild would seem like a good place to start for me.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-22, 09:11 PM
There was a 5e Modern Homebrew that looked pretty good awhile back I read. It wasn't Finished, but it might be now. That would just make the PCs Tough, Strong, Fast, Smart, Dedicated, Charismatic Hero's instead of a Druid or Wizard. Then Plasmids unlock Supernatural Special Thingies like Rage or Eldritch Blast (ooh pretty warlock Invocations as Tonics & Plasmids).

Spell Point Like System probably
Use the Spell Maker part of the DMG for Plasmids
Plasmids Are Milestone Rewards for Definitely, you can't buy em Foolish PC
They can buy ugrades for them though. figure out the Plasmids, then think of a couple upgrades for them (again look at warlock & it's Invocations, Agonizing Blast)
Damage Plasmids should scale with level like Cantrip

All I got in the bean so far I may come up with more ideas & maybe try & find modern 5e & take a look.

I hope to get an official D20 Modern Next (D&D 5e + D20 Modern), in fact that would be a great title.