PDA

View Full Version : Acolyte of the Scythe [Prestige Class]

TK-Squared
2007-07-09, 01:46 PM
Okay. I'm trying to make a character who wields a Scythe wtih style and I've come up with the idea of this prestige class. It's not finished yet and I need someone to review what's nearly finished about it and hopefully suggest things for it.

I've got it uploaded to a site, because I've worked on it in HTML format, so if you just follow this link;

http://wci.freepgs.com/aots.htm

So, if you'll just review it for us, I'll be happy. What's not finished is the Scythe Tricks, I want 5 or 6 of them, but I'm drawing a slight blank. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy. Thanks.

JackMage666
2007-07-09, 02:37 PM
I love the concept, since I loves Scythes (My favorite is a +X Keen Maiming Scythe, for the 19-20/x1d8 critical modifier!). Some suggestions...

Shaft Fighting (Ex): At 1st level, the Acolyte of the Scythe is capable of using the shaft of his Scythe as an offensive weapon, gaining an offhand attack as though wileding two light weapons, but the penalty is reduced by 1 (For -1/-1 on attack rolls). The shaft of the scythe is a bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 damage with a x2 critical. It has no additional weight. This only applies when wielding the scythe in two hands. At 5th level, the penalty is reduced by an additional 1 point, for no penalty.
Two-weapon Fighting is not a required feat, so your numbers are off. I like the ability, but you should do one of two things -
*Pealty reduction, and allow it to be treated as if he has Two weapon fighting at level 1, and Improved Two Weapon Fighting at level 5, but only for the Scythe OR
*Keep it as is and make them take Two Weapon Fighting and advanced feat on their own. Otherwise, they're getting an extra attack a round for absolutely free. Like that, they can still make the attack without two weapon fighting (at a -6, I think?), but it's risky.

Shaft Defense (Ex): While wileding a scythe, the Acolyte of the Scythe is capable of blocking incoming attacks with the shaft. He gains a +1 bons to Armour Class while wielding a Scythe. This increases to +2 at 3rd level and +3 and 5th level.
Make this a Shield Bonus to armor class, not untyped. Otherwise, Two-Weapon Defense will kick in (especially if you make them take Two-Weapon fighting, though it can be argued to allow Two-Weapon Defense with either of my suggestions, depending ont he DM).

Weighted Shaft (Ex): An Acolyte of the Scythe is able to wield a scythe with a weighted end easily. Any scythe wieled by an Acolyte can be modified to hold a weight in the bottom of its shaft. A weighted shaft deals 1d8 damage instead and can also be imbued with magical properties. However, it can only have half the enhancement bonus of the head. A weighted shaft costs 160 gold and is always masterwork,
Nice ability. No problems here.

Palm Balance Reach: The Acolyte of the Scythe is capable of doubling their normal reach with the Scythe for one attack per round by thrusting it out and keeping the shaft held in an open palm for a short amount of time, before grabbing it and pulling it back sharply. For one attack per round, the range of the Acolyte is doubled (5 feet to 10 feet, 10 feet to 20 feet). This only works when wielding a scythe designed for the Acolyte's size catergory or one larger if he has the Monkey Grip feat. While using this trick, the Acolyte is not capable of using the shaft as an offhand weapon for the round it is used on.
Personally, this seems kinda strong, especially with it being a trip weapon. I'd say, make them take a -2 on the attack roll, since it's harder to control. Also, take out the bit about Monkey Grip, since Monkey Grip is already awkward. I realize it needs a break, but making an awkward move more awkward doesn't seem right.

Leg Sweep: As a full round action, the Acolyte of the Scythe can spin his scythe around in a full circle, jumping over the shaft as it spins around to make a trip attack against every creature in an adjacent square to the Acolyte. This trip attempt cannot be countered and can only be dodged by those it's made against. The opponents cannot attempt a counter-trip attempt.
This seems fair enough. A monk can do it with Whirlwind attack, I think, so it seems fair.

Push Back Slice: The Acolyte of the Scythe is capable of pushing away an opponent in single combat and striking the foe. The Acolyte must make an inital attack with the shaft of the Scythe, pushing the end into the opponent in order to make them fall back, then immediatly makes a slicing action with the head of hte Scythe against the target as they stumble back. If the first attack is successful, then the opponent is pushed back 5 feet. This can cause an Attack of Opportunity from the Acolyte's allies if the opponent leaves a threaten square, but the Acolyte cannot make an Attack of Opportunity.
There should be some sort of Reflex save or opposed Str check to keep from being pushed back, especially if the movement provokes. If you want to keep it as is, I'd say a -4 penalty on the attack should make it OK, as per Knockback.
Or, make it so the movement doesn't provoke attacks, since it's forced (and, basically, a 5 ft step).

Other than those little things, which you may disregard as you see fit, awesome. +X Keen Maiming Scythe Fighter, here I come!

TK-Squared
2007-07-09, 03:05 PM
Edited accordingly.

- Added requirements: Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
- Shaft Defense: Changed the Shield Bonus
- Scythe Trick (Palm Balance Reach): -2 Penalty on attack roll
- Scythe Trick (Push Back Slice): Push Back is as though a bullrush attempt.

Thanks, Jack.

JackMage666
2007-07-09, 03:43 PM
Here's a possible ability for you...

Called Shot (Ex): By taking a penalty on the attack roll, an Acolyte of the Scythe gains the ability to strike a precise area, if he's lucky. After he takes the appropriate penalty on the attack roll, he makes that attack. If it succeeds on a critical hit, he forfeits the extra damage from sneak attack, and the called shot succeeds. Called shot penalties are based on difficulty. A called shot can do any number of things, some may not actually damage the target of the attack (such as damaging a carried item). A Acolyte may only make called shots with a Scythe. A called shot does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

{table=head]Difficulty|Penalty|Examples

Basic|
-2|Cause minor injury to arm or leg. Rip apart clothing. Disarm loose jewelry

Easy|
-4|Piercing leg to reduce movement speed. Slashing arm to briefly nullify use of arm. Damage secured worn item.

Moderate|
-6|Removing target's ear. Slashing achille's tendon. Damaging and disarming secured worn item.

Hard|
-8|Severe injury to face, causing stunning. Removal of arm. Slashing of armor straps.

Impossible|
-10|Decapitation. Impalement. Disarming and Sundering weapon[/table]