PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Halfling Bard chef

tkuremento
2016-09-22, 08:06 AM
So during another conversation I came up with an amazing concept, though it probably has been done before elsewhere. Essentially Halfling seems like the perfect chef and the perfect Bard to me, combining that with the Gourmand feat seems really fun. However beyond knowing I'd take Gourmand at level 4, I was wondering how such a character should possibly be built. I don't necessarily care about optimization but I also don't wanna just be the guy who makes a meal for a buff and then nothing else. Multiclassing, if flavourful enough, would be accepted.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Adding relevant information from other posts so people see these first.

Also to reply to the first half of your post, I'm thinking my character as a Halfling almost directly like a LotR Hobbit where they love partying and food. Sure people actually eat the things you linked but I don't think a fun-loving hobbit Halfling would use such things. I'm not planning on going overly intimidation chef but like, loving and passionate.

~*~UPDATE~*~

So now that I've played my character the first session and gotten to level two, I think the concept is going to work really well. The rest of the party is a Bladelock with a Jedi complex, a Gnome Ranger that takes having a billion different names in the description of Gnomes a BIT too seriously, and a Half-Elf Wizard who is too often mistaken for a human female. It was pretty hilarious with already two 1s having been rolled.

However, this ends up making me the primary healer and I wasn't expecting that. I am def going College of Lore for all the Magical Secrets I can get, so any suggestions for some good things to also keep me healing decently without breaking into my needs for Heroes' Feast and Goodberry.

~*~ UPDATE 2 ~*~
It has been awhile. We have made it to level 4 since I last updated everyone. I have taken Gourmand but have yet to use it as we JUST made level 4. I have taken Locate Animals and Plants because I hadn't realized before but it is actually the perfect spell for a Bard Chef. I can look for ingredients!

Also I have taken to using a shortsword because I often find myself in melee and I dislike rapiers from an aesthetic concept. Is there anything I should consider for being in melee that I might not have yet considered? It might not happen more in the future now that the Ranger is starting to get into melee with their companion beast, but I still want to be prepared just in case.

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 08:14 AM
Inspiring Leadership is a must at some point... promises of victory featsts and the like

Spells of interest: Goodberry, Fabricate, Creation, Hero's Feast (lore Bard for extra spell secrets)

EDIT: backgrounds: Guild Craftsman is the obvious, but consider Hermit (your secret recipie developed in isolation) or Inheritor (you alone hold the cookbook of the greatest chef), or even Sage (every library has a cooking tip in its halls)

tkuremento
2016-09-22, 08:28 AM
Inspiring Leadership is a must at some point... promises of victory featsts and the like

Spells of interest: Goodberry, Fabricate, Creation, Hero's Feast (lore Bard for extra spell secrets)

EDIT: backgrounds: Guild Craftsman is the obvious, but consider Hermit (your secret recipie developed in isolation) or Inheritor (you alone hold the cookbook of the greatest chef), or even Sage (every library has a cooking tip in its halls)

That actually brings up a few questions. Firstly, could I make one dish like Orc Spleen Stew and then slaughter some orcs and Fabricate up another stew?

Secondly, would you consider allowing the Gourmand feat to stack with the benefits from Hero's Feast if you used Hero's Feast just before a long rest? Would I then need to prepare another meal or could that meal count?

Lastly, do you mean Guild Artisan or Clan Crafter (from SCAG)? I assume the former.

Also thanks for the spell suggestions, I didn't even know Hero's Feast existed until now xD

lordarkness
2016-09-23, 09:45 AM
Can I assume he dual wields a pair of butcher knives or cleavers and carries an assortment of throwing knives.

See if your GM will let you rename your spells, they could be the same in effect but different in appearance' for example:
Identify = Taste Test
Animal Friendship = Playing with your Food
Hold Person = Breaded Person
Sleep = Food Coma
Vicious Mockery = Unforgiving Food Critic
Bane = Food Poisoning

Could be fun.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-23, 10:19 AM
Lastly, do you mean Guild Artisan or Clan Crafter (from SCAG)? I assume the former.I dunno, someone who knows how to prepare a feast and properly pair the right foods with the ale they are drinking would probably garner a bit of respect in the clan keeps...

Hermit or Inheritor sounds like more fun, though. (Discovery/Inheritance: the 11 Herbs and Spices that make a truly delicious fried chicken.)

Renaming spells shouldn't even require a DM's approval (though it might help to make sure it fits the tone of the game) - just make sure they know what is what. Also, always use spell components, though in this case your components are food and recipe ingredients. That last part probably does need approval.

In other notes, the 2014 D&D Extra Life game had Mike Selinker playing a Food Cleric. Much inspiration to be had for you there.

Socratov
2016-09-23, 10:45 AM
Well, you could style yourself to be a little like Ichiya from Fairy Tail (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Ichiya_Vandalay_Kotobuki), but with food. You tend to (de)buff using magic spices and spice blends you use in your cooking. By performing certain culinary feats and the use of heat and cold you can achieve other effects. What's better: casting rituals is like making a full course meal. Also, spells that grant heat or cold or acid can make for great culinary instruments of sorts and thus definitely within reason to pick up.

Temperjoke
2016-09-23, 10:51 AM
You don't even need to alter spell components. Cooking recipes can often involve some weird ingredients, especially the sort of things high-end, nouveau riche gourmands go for, and who knows what all is in a standard spell component pouch.

EDIT: You could also go with a Monk, I'd like to reference Sanji from One Piece. He's the ship's cook, who primarily uses his legs in combat to protect his hands (to preserve their delicate cooking ability). http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sanji . He is also an expert in cooking the so-called Attack Cuisine of Newkama Island, which can strengthen the body.

malachi
2016-09-23, 11:26 AM
There's also this chef (http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2ji303/the_class_is_a_lie_the_lil_chef/).

tkuremento
2016-09-23, 03:44 PM
Well, you could style yourself to be a little like Ichiya from Fairy Tail (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Ichiya_Vandalay_Kotobuki), but with food. You tend to (de)buff using magic spices and spice blends you use in your cooking. By performing certain culinary feats and the use of heat and cold you can achieve other effects. What's better: casting rituals is like making a full course meal. Also, spells that grant heat or cold or acid can make for great culinary instruments of sorts and thus definitely within reason to pick up.

audible gagging noise Sorry, I've taken a huge disliking to Fairy Tail after the time skip :|

Given I'm not against taking Goodberry, I could just as easily take Create Bonfire I assume xD That seems very Chef-y, eh? :P
Edit: using Magical Secrets, it should be mentioned just so someone later isn't like "Erm how even"

You don't even need to alter spell components. Cooking recipes can often involve some weird ingredients, especially the sort of things high-end, nouveau riche gourmands go for, and who knows what all is in a standard spell component pouch.

EDIT: You could also go with a Monk, I'd like to reference Sanji from One Piece. He's the ship's cook, who primarily uses his legs in combat to protect his hands (to preserve their delicate cooking ability). http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sanji . He is also an expert in cooking the so-called Attack Cuisine of Newkama Island, which can strengthen the body.

Despite what I have said above, LOVE One Piece despite it too having a time skip--Actually it is my favourite anime. However I wanna stick with the Bard aspect because frying pan banjo (panjo), also because entertainment can make or break the atmosphere of a meal just as much as a tea being a single degree of temperature off.

As far as flavour I'm probably not going to change spell names or components for spells. Sure a rose by any other name but if a world has magic formed in a certain way I don't wanna tamper with it too much, ya dig?

Also this isn't a Chef who happens to be taking classes in Bard instead of other classes, he is a Bard who is also a Chef--he does BOTH. You know how like you spin the oil bottle and put in some and exaggerated flipping of the rice, etc. But then beyond that he would also sing, perhaps even have songs timed so when something doesn't need immediate attention it comes some banjo and then tend back to the cooking again.

tkuremento
2016-09-23, 03:48 PM
Can I assume he dual wields a pair of butcher knives or cleavers and carries an assortment of throwing knives.

I was thinking given his use of a frying pan banjo (panjo) he could go all El Kabong. Of course that means to see any decent results I'd need to get another feat for improvised weapons.... x.X

Herobizkit
2016-09-24, 05:24 AM
Depending on your age, this concept may be painfully obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ityBg2b5A
There's also those rad Teppanyaki chefs who cook your meal and do fancy juggling/sleight-of-hand tricks as it cooks. There are also street vendors who do similar things with street meats and sweet treats (I saw one video where a guy turned cotton candy into an art form).

And there's always the beverage art from Starbucks. ^_^

If you're looking for the real flash-bang kind of cooking, you're going to want at least one level of a different spell-caster... probably Sorcerer (as it's also fueled by Charisma). There aren't many decent flavors of Sorcerer, but the Dragon one is the spiciest. Imagine the looks on your guest's faces when you serve your creme brulee that's burned with your own breath weapon. :)

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 07:04 AM
Depending on your age, this concept may be painfully obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ityBg2b5A
There's also those rad Teppanyaki chefs who cook your meal and do fancy juggling/sleight-of-hand tricks as it cooks. There are also street vendors who do similar things with street meats and sweet treats (I saw one video where a guy turned cotton candy into an art form).

And there's always the beverage art from Starbucks. ^_^

If you're looking for the real flash-bang kind of cooking, you're going to want at least one level of a different spell-caster... probably Sorcerer (as it's also fueled by Charisma). There aren't many decent flavors of Sorcerer, but the Dragon one is the spiciest. Imagine the looks on your guest's faces when you serve your creme brulee that's burned with your own breath weapon. :)

I might be mistaken but Sorcerer doesn't get a breath weapon?

If anything a dip of Druid for Purify Food and Drink, Goodberry, Detect Poison and Disease, and Create Bonfire would be cool. It then leaves my Magical Secrets open for even more spell choices :o Given I'm a Bard that doesn't mess with my armor choices really and being able to speak Druidic would allow me just THAT much more clientele! :P Idk why I didn't think of it sooner...well besides the fact that that uses WIS. Though all those spells I just listed don't need high Wis, but I'd still need 13 to even Multiclass to it....

Socratov
2016-09-24, 08:06 AM
audible gagging noise Sorry, I've taken a huge disliking to Fairy Tail after the time skip :|

Given I'm not against taking Goodberry, I could just as easily take Create Bonfire I assume xD That seems very Chef-y, eh? :P
Edit: using Magical Secrets, it should be mentioned just so someone later isn't like "Erm how even"

Despite what I have said above, LOVE One Piece despite it too having a time skip--Actually it is my favourite anime. However I wanna stick with the Bard aspect because frying pan banjo (panjo), also because entertainment can make or break the atmosphere of a meal just as much as a tea being a single degree of temperature off.

As far as flavour I'm probably not going to change spell names or components for spells. Sure a rose by any other name but if a world has magic formed in a certain way I don't wanna tamper with it too much, ya dig?

Also this isn't a Chef who happens to be taking classes in Bard instead of other classes, he is a Bard who is also a Chef--he does BOTH. You know how like you spin the oil bottle and put in some and exaggerated flipping of the rice, etc. But then beyond that he would also sing, perhaps even have songs timed so when something doesn't need immediate attention it comes some banjo and then tend back to the cooking again.

Terribly sorry for offending your esophagus. I was merely using a character form Fairy Tail to illustrate the power os smell and spices. Without resorting to NSFW-esque manga (Not NFSW but definitely implying) like Shokugeki Soma. You could even include fear effects based on nightmaresdelicacies like hákarl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl), surströmming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl) or even casu marzu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu) to induce true horror. Though you are definitely going to need a cart to house all your ill gotten gainsdelecatble pantry.

Oh and by the way, if you want to quote multiple posts to discuss, look to the bottom right hand corner of a post and click the double quotes. Once you do they will show a green checkmark and when you next post in that thread they will all show up in your composing window. And if you look closely to the left of that (last the single quote button) you can find an edit post button that will allow you to edit your post. Your post will then read a line of [Name] has edited this post with a timestamp. All to avoid stuff like doubleposting. Just a tip from your friendly neighbourhood forum user :smallwink:

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 08:15 AM
Oh and by the way, if you want to quote multiple posts to discuss, look to the bottom right hand corner of a post and click the double quotes. Once you do they will show a green checkmark and when you next post in that thread they will all show up in your composing window. And if you look closely to the left of that (last the single quote button) you can find an edit post button that will allow you to edit your post. Your post will then read a line of [Name] has edited this post with a timestamp. All to avoid stuff like doubleposting. Just a tip from your friendly neighbourhood forum user :smallwink:

I might be mistaken but I'm like 99% sure the post you are replying to quoting multiple people, and I'm 100% certain I used that method. The second post afterward that was replying to someone quickly was because your prior post and the other post were similar and the one about weapons was not quite as similar. And unless I am mistaken, I do not see any double posting and def see a post or two with "Last edited by tkuremento." :P Thanks for the tips though

Socratov
2016-09-24, 08:16 AM
I might be mistaken but I'm like 99% sure the post you are replying to quoting multiple people, and I'm 100% certain I used that method. The second post afterward that was replying to someone quickly was because your prior post and the other post were similar and the one about weapons was not quite as similar. And unless I am mistaken, I do not see any double posting and def see a post or two with "Last edited by tkuremento." :P Thanks for the tips though

Ah well, nevermind then :smallcool:

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 08:40 AM
Terribly sorry for offending your esophagus. I was merely using a character form Fairy Tail to illustrate the power os smell and spices. Without resorting to NSFW-esque manga (Not NFSW but definitely implying) like Shokugeki Soma. You could even include fear effects based on nightmaresdelicacies like hákarl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl), surströmming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl) or even casu marzu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu) to induce true horror. Though you are definitely going to need a cart to house all your ill gotten gainsdelecatble pantry.

Also to reply to the first half of your post, I'm thinking my character as a Halfling almost directly like a LotR Hobbit where they love partying and food. Sure people actually eat the things you linked but I don't think a fun-loving hobbit Halfling would use such things. I'm not planning on going overly intimidation chef but like, loving and passionate.

mgshamster
2016-09-24, 09:39 AM
Here's a chef background feature I made for one of my players.

Gourmet Chef: You are able to cook nutritious and delicious meals even from the lowest quality ingredients. In addition, rations last twice as long for up to six individuals. You may also gain an audience with high ranking officials by acting as their visiting chef, so long as they have heard of your culinary prowess.

For that last bit, here's how I would rule it in my games: the country you're from has heard of you. The higher level you are, the further your reputation extends, starting with neighboring countries and then further out. Additionally, you can start your reputation anew in a foreign land through roleplaying. Gaining an audience means that you also lose that night's worth of activities in order to cook.

Socratov
2016-09-24, 11:41 AM

Well, actually, considering the fact that the hobbits are gourmands at best of times and pretty secluded, I think it's not unthinkable that they'd have picked up some, *ahem*, exotic eating habits... Besides, we are talking about a race that's primarily busy with the follwing philosophical quenstions:

Can I eat this?
How can is Make this edible?
Can I make this taste any better?
What ingredient can I find that will help me win in the next Mithril Chef: The Shire competition?

There you have it: a way to use the culinary arts in an ofensive manner and an excuse for traveling the world in search of new ingredients all rolled up into one neat package of philosophical questions.

Just you wait until your halfling chef finds some mushroom she' snever encountered before... (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Hypnotic_Pattern)

Temperjoke
2016-09-24, 11:58 AM

It's a matter of intent. You don't intend to be intimidating when you're passionately describing the edible parts on a monster, and the best way to prepare them, but that doesn't mean you don't scare the f*ck out of someone listening to you. :P

On a different tangent, I'm curious as to your character's motivations? Is he saving money for a restaurant/tavern of his own? To find new ingredients and recipes?

Naanomi
2016-09-24, 01:16 PM
Warhammer has minis all ready for you... https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9RSKeUbyLrM/hqdefault.jpg

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 02:13 PM
It's a matter of intent. You don't intend to be intimidating when you're passionately describing the edible parts on a monster, and the best way to prepare them, but that doesn't mean you don't scare the f*ck out of someone listening to you. :P

On a different tangent, I'm curious as to your character's motivations? Is he saving money for a restaurant/tavern of his own? To find new ingredients and recipes?

To make others happy and entertained. I mean I plan on Heroes' Feast as one of my eventual Magical Secrets so :P And given I can feed up to 12, might as well invite a few extras if needed to get the full worth out of 1k GP per casting

Herobizkit
2016-09-24, 10:37 PM
I might be mistaken but Sorcerer doesn't get a breath weapon?Dragon sorcerer does. :)

Temperjoke
2016-09-24, 10:51 PM
To make others happy and entertained. I mean I plan on Heroes' Feast as one of my eventual Magical Secrets so :P And given I can feed up to 12, might as well invite a few extras if needed to get the full worth out of 1k GP per casting

The real issue with that is, you could do that in your home village. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I don't know why someone with that sort of motivation would become an adventurer.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-24, 11:02 PM
Why to try new cuisines, find new ingredients, new recipes, and flavor profiles! Inspiration! And a ton of gold to open the best restaurant ever!

2D8HP
2016-09-24, 11:25 PM
The real issue with that is, you could do that in your home village. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I don't know why someone with that sort of motivation would become an adventurer.
Why to try new cuisines, find new ingredients, new recipes, and flavor profiles! Inspiration! And a ton of gold to open the best restaurant ever!OK,
Posts like that are starting to make me think that there's actual fun to be had in this "role" play and "back-story" stuff you kids talk about after all.
Well done.
:biggrin:

Temperjoke
2016-09-25, 12:15 AM
OK,
Posts like that are starting to make me think that there's actual fun to be had in this "role" play and "back-story" stuff you kids talk about after all.
Well done.
:biggrin:

It can be fun, but it all depends on the group you're playing with! There is a lot of fun in being a halfling swashbuckler that makes fun of the bad guys between sword jabs, or a dignified elf that's perpetually embarrassed by your companions.

Innocent_bystan
2016-09-25, 04:52 AM
...the follwing philosophical quenstions:

Can I eat this?
How can is Make this edible?
Can I make this taste any better?
What ingredient can I find that will help me win in the next Mithril Chef: The Shire competition?

My bard, who has similar interest and is currently involuntarily residing on Avernus (the first level of hell), recently asked himself: how does one grill a hellhound steak?

He settled for hellhound carpaccio with a sanctified olive oil dressing.

The cleric and wizard had to help with that one. But Dnd is a party-based game for a reason.

Socratov
2016-09-25, 06:29 AM
My bard, who has similar interest and is currently involuntarily residing on Avernus (the first level of hell), recently asked himself: how does one grill a hellhound steak?

He settled for hellhound carpaccio with a sanctified olive oil dressing.

The cleric and wizard had to help with that one. But Dnd is a party-based game for a reason.

sounds like an interesting dish

tkuremento
2016-09-25, 06:43 AM
Dragon sorcerer does. :)

Where is it then? I just see the Dragon bloodline one in the PHB and it has no reference to a breath weapon.

Temperjoke
2016-09-25, 09:48 AM
Where is it then? I just see the Dragon bloodline one in the PHB and it has no reference to a breath weapon.

The dragornborn gets a breath attack, I think he was getting confused.

tkuremento
2016-09-25, 10:28 AM
The dragornborn gets a breath attack, I think he was getting confused.

Yea, I agree. That is the only instance of a breath weapon for a PC that I can think of unless there is a magic item or potion or something. I know Pathfinder had a spell that gave you a breath weapon ;P

tkuremento
2016-09-28, 04:52 PM
~*~UPDATE~*~

So now that I've played my character the first session and gotten to level two, I think the concept is going to work really well. The rest of the party is a Bladelock with a Jedi complex, a Gnome Ranger that takes having a billion different names in the description of Gnomes a BIT too seriously, and a Half-Elf Wizard who is too often mistaken for a human female. It was pretty hilarious with already two 1s having been rolled.

However, this ends up making me the primary healer and I wasn't expecting that. I am def going College of Lore for all the Magical Secrets I can get, so any suggestions for some good things to also keep me healing decently without breaking into my needs for Heroes' Feast and Goodberry.

Tanarii
2016-09-28, 06:12 PM
My version of this is Rock Gnome Monk Guild Artisan (Chef).

Guild Artisan gave Artisan's Tools: Chef's Utensils, and Guild Membership in the Cooks & Bakers Guild.

Monk gave Artisan's Tools: Brewer's Supplies. As well as the ability via Martial Arts to do respectable attack & damage with Tenderizing Mallets (Light Hammer), Butcher's Knives (Dagger) and by throwing smaller well balanced cutting knives (Shuriken).

Rock Gnome gave the all important Tinker's Tools & Artificer's Lore. Necessary to design & construct an espresso machine.

Name is Gimble "Steamwhistle" Nazzar.

Naanomi
2016-09-28, 06:55 PM
I played a Mountain Dwarf Transmuter brewmaster... proficiency in brewers tools, herbalism, alchemy... (later picked up poisoners tools). Hermit background gave me access to 'a secret beer recipie'

Wait...
Halfling Bard... gnome monk... dwarf wizard... we just need a cooking based frontliner to have a full adventuring food cart!

tkuremento
2016-09-28, 07:49 PM
I played a Mountain Dwarf Transmuter brewmaster... proficiency in brewers tools, herbalism, alchemy... (later picked up poisoners tools). Hermit background gave me access to 'a secret beer recipie'

Wait...
Halfling Bard... gnome monk... dwarf wizard... we just need a cooking based frontliner to have a full adventuring food cart!

I mean if we are going to have jobs and a cart, we might as well all be dwarves. I will need 7 players, and everyone shall be named Urist. Our mission will be to recover a long lost mountainhome, likely to have feral dwarf kids who sneak out of the shadows and beasts that are long forgotten.

Tanarii
2016-09-28, 08:36 PM
Wait...
Gimble suffers from professional jealousy (personality Flaw). It might go downhill rapidly. :smallbiggrin:

Naanomi
2016-09-28, 08:54 PM
Maybe a 'exotic meat butcher' ranger can fill out that last tank-y role?

tkuremento
2016-09-28, 09:08 PM
Maybe a 'exotic meat butcher' ranger can fill out that last tank-y role?

Cheese maker, has a female beast known for milk. Everyone good team needs some cheese :P

Naanomi
2016-09-28, 09:37 PM
Cheese maker, has a female beast known for milk. Everyone good team needs some cheese :P
*looks at list of pets* *looks up milk yield by species*.
Boar milk or bear milk are both viable...

tkuremento
2016-09-28, 09:50 PM

There are more if you don't look at just the Revised Ranger list, assuming you go with PHB Ranger instead or have a DM allowing lower CR choices like a goat for whatever reason. Also now I got that quote from Meet the Parents stuck in my head.

Temperjoke
2016-09-28, 10:46 PM
~*~UPDATE~*~

Well, Healing Word is a good start, it's a level 1 bard spell that you can use on a bonus action (so you can still make an attack). Cure Wounds is stronger, but requires a full action and touch to cast, but if you're the only healer it'll probably be good to take. Don't forget your Song of Rest ability allows a little bit of healing for your party during a short rest if they use Hit Dice to recover, as opposed to just using Hit Dice to heal. When you can, you should take the Healer feat, it gives you the ability to use healer's kits to heal hit points instead of just stabilizing.

bardo
2016-09-28, 11:07 PM
My version of this is Rock Gnome Monk Guild Artisan (Chef)...

But... but, you didn't say "Can you smell what the Rock Gnome is cooking?"

Bardo.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-29, 09:46 AM
Truly, a golden opportunity.

Here's a crazy idea: Goats.

Dill Raulnor
2016-09-29, 12:12 PM
Make the chef a Gordon Ramsay type. Your vicious Mockery would be things like "You, Donkey", or "It's BLOODY RAW!"

malachi
2016-09-29, 01:13 PM
I mean if we are going to have jobs and a cart, we might as well all be dwarves. I will need 7 players, and everyone shall be named Urist. Our mission will be to recover a long lost mountainhome, likely to have feral dwarf kids who sneak out of the shadows and beasts that are long forgotten.

That is an <<*idea*>> that menaces with spikes of hidden fun stuff. All crasftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

tkuremento
2016-09-29, 01:14 PM
Make the chef a Gordon Ramsay type. Your vicious Mockery would be things like "You, Donkey", or "It's BLOODY RAW!"

I'm thinking my character as a Halfling almost directly like a LotR Hobbit where they love partying and food. Sure people actually eat the things you linked but I don't think a fun-loving hobbit Halfling would use such things. I'm not planning on going overly intimidation chef but like, loving and passionate.

I understand the intimidation aspect is appealing but like I've said before, loving and passionate.

Tanarii
2016-09-29, 02:18 PM

Bardo.

I ...

*hangs head in shame* :smallredface:

No, no I didn't.

tkuremento
2016-09-29, 04:05 PM

Bardo.

I ...

*hangs head in shame* :smallredface:

No, no I didn't.

I feel really stupid, must have failed an intelligence check, but I don't get the reference.

mgshamster
2016-09-29, 09:21 PM
What background did you end up taking?

bardo
2016-09-29, 10:39 PM
I feel really stupid, must have failed an intelligence check, but I don't get the reference.

"Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?" was a catch phrase used by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson back when he was a wrestler.

Bardo.

tkuremento
2016-09-30, 10:32 AM
What background did you end up taking?

Guild Artisan. Instead of a guild though it is a semi-famous halfling restaurant/tavern that does business with a local inn called the Hairless Hare.

tkuremento
2016-09-30, 03:36 PM
"Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?" was a catch phrase used by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson back when he was a wrestler.

Bardo.

Oh, ok. I never really did pay attention to wrestling, all I know is from watching Super Best Friends Zaibatsu play various wrestling games :P

tkuremento
2016-10-12, 06:49 PM
~*~ UPDATE 2 ~*~
It has been awhile. We have made it to level 4 since I last updated everyone. I have taken Gourmand but have yet to use it as we JUST made level 4. I have taken Locate Animals and Plants because I hadn't realized before but it is actually the perfect spell for a Bard Chef. I can look for ingredients!

Also I have taken to using a shortsword because I often find myself in melee and I dislike rapiers from an aesthetic concept. Is there anything I should consider for being in melee that I might not have yet considered? It might not happen more in the future now that the Ranger is starting to get into melee with their companion beast, but I still want to be prepared just in case.