PDA

View Full Version : Character Dilemma

Callin
2016-09-22, 08:09 AM
So I was looking forward to playing a Warlock in one of my weekly games. Rolled stats and I was dissapointed.

14, 14, 14, 12, 11, 11.

I am already playing a half elf so didnt want to make another one so I have chosen Halfling. How viable is a 15 Cha on a Warlock? Stats would be - 11, 16, 14, 11, 12, 15.

Those stats with Cha and Wis changed SCREAM Ranger and I could do that as well. So Playground what are your thoughts.

Specter
2016-09-22, 08:17 AM
Yeah, Warlocks will require a good attack bonus (Eldritch Blast) and a good save DC for most of their spells. Unless you're attempting a bladelock, I wouldn't do it. Ranger relies far less on Wisdom, so mechanically it seems like a better option. But don't let mechanics take away your fun.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-22, 08:22 AM
There is the drow and tiefling. Tiefling gives +2 charisma. And those stats are good your starting at lv1 you don't need a 18, 20 charisma at lv1.

Corran
2016-09-22, 08:22 AM
Go for the warlock. Grab actor at 4th to round your charisma to 16, and pick the mask of many faces invocation. Disguise yourself at will into a child and speak like one too, while having advantage on your charisma (deception) checks. Priceless!:smallbiggrin:

Biggstick
2016-09-22, 02:27 PM
Which one has the more exciting role play potential?

A Halfling Warlock presents some pretty interesting options. Maybe s/he was laughed at by people, and now s/he is going to show them what happens when you mess with a powerful Warlock of (insert patron here)

A Halfling Ranger creates interesting role play options as well. Being able to sneakily climb onto the large bear and scratch it's back in the exact spot to stop it from attacking your party is pretty sweet.

It all depends on which you're going to have more fun with as your rolls support both play styles.

Callin
2016-09-22, 03:16 PM
Any of them will suit me fine.

The Warlock (since I did a background on him since it was my first choice) was a failed Wizard who made a deal to get the magical power he desired to show his family he could do it.

The Ranger would be an Urban Ranger Beastmaster using a Mastiff (aka Wolf). I like the Beastmaster Archtype. Was thinking of using a Shield and Handcrossbow. Maybe pick up Crossbow Master at 4.

I just want to be mechanically viable, and I am starting to dig the Ranger idea.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-22, 03:29 PM
Any of them will suit me fine.

The Warlock (since I did a background on him since it was my first choice) was a failed Wizard who made a deal to get the magical power he desired to show his family he could do it.

The Ranger would be an Urban Ranger Beastmaster using a Mastiff (aka Wolf). I like the Beastmaster Archtype. Was thinking of using a Shield and Handcrossbow. Maybe pick up Crossbow Master at 4.

I just want to be mechanically viable, and I am starting to dig the Ranger idea.

There's a mastiff stat block in the phb and dmg so your DM will have you use that.

Callin
2016-09-22, 03:46 PM
There's a mastiff stat block in the phb and dmg so your DM will have you use that.

Its not in the Ranger Beastmaster UA list though, and I got a pretty lenient DM.

brainface
2016-09-22, 03:53 PM
You're perfectly fine with a starting 15 charisma. That shouldn't be the make or break point. If leveling is excruciatingly slow, maybe it'll be an issue?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-22, 04:22 PM
Bounded accuracy confuses people when it comes to bonuses. A +1 bonus being rare doesn't mean it's significant-- it's still only a 5% difference on rolls that are entirely, entirely dominated by the vagueries of the d20. Do whatever you want; you'll see little to no real effect.

lordarkness
2016-09-23, 08:58 AM
Mechanically I think both are sound especially at lower levels. Once you get high enough for it to really matter you will have opportunities to offset any short comings. I think you should pick which ever has the potential to be the most fun. Fun should trump all other factors. Ever see someone play a character with a few single digit stats? These tend to be the most memorable of the campaign.

RakiReborn
2016-09-23, 05:03 PM
If you're looking for other options besides lock or BM, a skillmonkey build would be what i would probably play with those stats. 11-16-14-11-13/14-13/14 after racials, Rogue/bard mc. Take some in Rogue to start off and keep poking with your (x)bow, or your pointy stick if you go AT or take the magic initiate feat, with the SCAG cantrips (which would get better damage at higher lvls; booming blade & BA disengage or mobile feat is very nice). Go into Bard after your first asi and go lore Bard for a couple of levels. End with 6 in Bard and the rest in rogue. With the Bard spells i'd take mostly buff and utility spells. You will be decent in melee, but will be very good in social stuff, sneaking and other skills.

Callin
2016-09-23, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the Lock. More RP fun and will be mechanically sound at lvl 4.

Group consists now of a DW Fighter (BM), Rogue (?), tentative Paladin (?), and then me.