PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock / Sorcerer

Mikey P
2016-09-22, 09:47 AM
Hello all, it's my first post and my first 5e character, and I was hoping to get some thoughts from the enlightened.

We are playing the intro adventure to Storm King's. My GM is allowing all the Unearthed Arcana stuff, and so what I've got in play currently is a...

Warlock (Of the Undying Light) - 2 / Sorcerer (Favored soul, Light Domain) 1
Variant Human, Warcaster Feat
STR 9 / DEX 15 / CON 14 (13+1)/ INT 10 / WIS 13 / CHA 18 (17+1)

I think the GM may allow a little editing if I wanted to change the Domain or the Feat. Light Domain may seem wasteful, as it is mostly spells already on the Sorcerer's list, but I was thinking with the limited number of Known spells, it would allow me to explore the rest of the Sorcerer's spell list without worrying about spending slots on the lovely fire spells that will be his bread and butter.

I started as a Warlock and switched to Sorcerer with the notion of reaching character level 5 as Warlock 2 / Sorcerer 3...

So at this point I'm trying to decide if I should divert from my plan and take a third level of Warlock, or just keep going Sorcerer and never look back...

Any advice?

Byke
2016-09-22, 11:54 AM
If you are still in the building stage. I would recommend taking your 1st level as sorcerer for the Con saves.

I'm playing the exact same character in another campaign and did the inverse started 3 sorc and then 2 lock. (EB doesn't really come online until 5th).

As for domain, Light is fine, as you said it frees you up up to take some of the other sorcerer spells. Life and War are also excellent domain. I took Life for the heal and spiritual weapon which adds a ton of sustained dam (Our DM house ruled that it could be twinned).:smallcool:

I'm having the same dilemma about that 3rd level of lock and decided to hold off until much later (9th Level spells). Being 2 levels behind everyone in Sorc spells hurt to much.

Citan
2016-09-23, 05:04 AM
Hello all, it's my first post and my first 5e character, and I was hoping to get some thoughts from the enlightened.

We are playing the intro adventure to Storm King's. My GM is allowing all the Unearthed Arcana stuff, and so what I've got in play currently is a...

Warlock (Of the Undying Light) - 2 / Sorcerer (Favored soul, Light Domain) 1
Variant Human, Warcaster Feat
STR 9 / DEX 15 / CON 14 (13+1)/ INT 10 / WIS 13 / CHA 18 (17+1)

I think the GM may allow a little editing if I wanted to change the Domain or the Feat. Light Domain may seem wasteful, as it is mostly spells already on the Sorcerer's list, but I was thinking with the limited number of Known spells, it would allow me to explore the rest of the Sorcerer's spell list without worrying about spending slots on the lovely fire spells that will be his bread and butter.

I started as a Warlock and switched to Sorcerer with the notion of reaching character level 5 as Warlock 2 / Sorcerer 3...

So at this point I'm trying to decide if I should divert from my plan and take a third level of Warlock, or just keep going Sorcerer and never look back...

Any advice?
Hi!
Sorlock is always a good concept. It's a bit sad you started Warlock instead of Sorcerer because of Constitution saving throw, but maybe you planned on taking either Resilient: Constitution or Warcaster anyways...

So, as for build advice...
First, let's consider what you lose if you dip the third level: it would make end build Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 17, so you lose 18th.
What is 18th: free healing when you cast a spell from your Domains.
Considering you take Light Domain, which synergize with Undying Light +CHA, it's safe to assume you will cast such spells regularly, making this an interesting benefit.
You also learn another 9th level spell, and Sorcerer has nearly only great spells at that level.

Now, what would you gain with 3rd Warlock?
- one or two (if swapping) 2nd level spell known: Mirror Image is always a good choice here.
- 2*2nd level short rest slots: always interesting, either to enforce a defense buff for every fight (Mirror Image, Blur) or get a consistent offense (Scorching Ray, Flaming Sphere).
- Pact of the Chain: magic resistance if you keep your familiar close, can scout away (and you can use its senses freely): I don't have any interesting combo in mind with Sorcerer, because in spite of having a "superior" familiar, the most interesting feature (delivering spell as a reaction) has a "hard-coded" limit. So unless you are supposed to be the scount (why would you?) or you really like the concept, not much for you here.
- Pact of the Blade: unless I'm mistaken, you are clearly focusing on the spellcasting part. So even as an "emergency way of melee fighting", it's inferior to just casting Shocking Grasp, because you probably don't have a high weapon attack stat. And even then, since you already have good proficiencies, the only value of Pact would be making your attacks "magical" and get a decent boost in damage (because you could make a martial weapon). Is it good? Yes. Worth a level? Not sure.
- Pact of the Tome: you can get some nice cantrips, including Guidance for small boost to anything and Shillelagh to get a decently good weapon attack (great paired with weapon cantrip. For you, strictly superior to Pact of the Blade). And you get ritual casting up to 3rd level spells. Which can be great if nobody in your party gets it.

Wrapping it up...
- If you are sure you won't get high level, pick the third level.
- If you are sure you won't ever regret the 18th level, pick the third level.
- If there is one Pact that really attracts you, pick the third level.
Otherwise, stick with Sorcerer as long as you can...
That's my 2 cents, hope that helps. :)