PDA

View Full Version : People thoughts about the shadow sorcerer

Sir cryosin
2016-09-22, 10:26 AM
Has anyone played a shadow sorcerer. And how's it play. I feel like they should switch the hell hound and shadow walk around. What are some changes ya'll made to it. I also feel the undead fortitude ability is a little op would changing that to having resistance to necrotic damage be more fitting?

Corran
2016-09-22, 11:00 AM
Well, when I played a shadow sorcerer I exchanged the hound (mostly because I didnt like it flavour-wise for that character, also I had concerns about its balance) with some undead-like traits (no exhaustion, resistance to necrotic damage, poison immunity -very rare in that campaign, stuff like that). I was also always forgetting to use strength of the grave (used it only once and I rolled a 1), but I remember I was determined to either fix it a bit (probably change it to a x times per day, or mess around a bit with the DC, or even do both), though as I said, I was always forgetfull of that feature.

The main conern to me is the hound. Having a quick look at it again, now, after some time, I still think it is a bit more powerful than it should be. Then again, I think, that it uses the same resource as metamagic (ie sp), so that drops considerably its value, as it competes with one of the strongest sorcerer features for which the resources are fairly limited. So it might not be that a big deal in actual play than in paper, regarding how op this feature is. For me, it is just unfortunate, because while I dig the flavour of the shadow sorcerer, I am not a fan of the hound as it is a bit less subtle for my taste.
I would definitely not swap the order in which you get the hound and shadow walk, shadow walk is fine at the level you get it, but it would be a bit too much imo if you got it sooner.

As for strength of the grave (that is what you mean by undead fortitude, right?), it hits the flavour I want and I wouldnt want to see it gone (more than any other features it betrays the underlying undead nature of the shadow sorc, so it is very appropriate thematically; ''the enemy runs me through with his weapon, ie drops me to below 0, and he knows that I should be dead already, however, I make my save and I am still standing, to the enemy's shock''). Perhaps it needs a bit of tweeking though.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-22, 01:22 PM
Shadow walk is a great ability and is probably one of my favorite abilities in the game the reason why I say it should be the 6 level ability is because Shadow Monks also get it at 6 level but their's is not as restrictive as Shadow walkers but then again Shadow walk has a hundred twenty foot range

Biggstick
2016-09-22, 02:56 PM
Shadow walk is a great ability and is probably one of my favorite abilities in the game the reason why I say it should be the 6 level ability is because Shadow Monks also get it at 6 level but their's is not as restrictive as Shadow walkers but then again Shadow walk has a hundred twenty foot range

It's pretty much the defining feature of Shadow Monks though. Similar to the Paladin's save aura. It's what really sets the Shadow Monk apart from the other styles of Monk. Here's the other thing, Shadow Sorcerer's get the ability to see through their magical darkness built in; Shadow Monks have to MC into Warlock to get that ability.