PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3.0 stuff to 5e

Frywick
2016-09-22, 06:33 PM
So I grew up playing 3.0 and as such I have alot of books for 3.0. "Arms and Equipment Guide", all the class supplement books, "Oriental Adventures", Book of Vile darkness and so on. With my current campagin we started with 3.0 but after looking into stuff regarding 5th edition, the players and I were hooked and went out and got the new edition. We've been playing for close to a year in 5e and we like it alot. But I'm concerned that theres not alot of content in the form of books. Theres unearthed arcana and DM's guild but I have this large assortment of 3.0 books that have tons of content thats not being used. As such, I've taken it upon myself to convert what I have over to 5e. Trick is though I'm kinda a new DM and I'm probably not the most well versed on 5e rules so everything is balenced properly. So I'd was hoping to get some tips on how might I best convert things from 3.0 to 5e. Things such as prestige classes, items, magical enchantments and things like that. Is there a rule of thumb for some of these things or do I just do it case to case. What are things to keep in mind when balencing out concepts from 3.0?

Falcon X
2016-09-23, 08:31 AM
I'm no mechanics guy, but I'll go with some that are obvious to me.

1. Magical items all get downgraded. The biggest part of this is the +1 effects, because if they get too high they break bounded accuracy. Even a vorpal sword is only a +3 in 5e.
Just half those quantities and round up (+5 and +6 become +3).
2. Spells: Honestly, I'm a fan of keeping spells pretty unchanged. As a DM, you manage what spells outside of core get incorporated, so just make sure the players ask "mother may I" before taking them and work out the kinks on a spell-by-spell basis.
- One thing to keep in mind is that 5e spells scale more with spell level. You might consider that when importing spells.
3. Prestige classes: Rule of thumb is to make them all sub-classes in 5e and rewrite them from the beginning.
For example, here is my 5e Void Disciple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?488418-5e-Void-Disciple-Homebrew) I homebrewed for sorcerer. It still seems a little off, but my conversion tactic should be proper. (Complete Divine VD (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/void-disciple/index.html)).
Basically, I chose:
a. Which Base Class?
- I chose Sorcerer because VD seems like a Charisma based class (Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard) and it has near-full spell progression (No Warlock) and no particular bardic bent (No Bard).
b. What are the core prestige class features?
- Sense Void and manipulation of character's ability score usage.
c. What are trends that follow sorcerers?
- Flight at capstone. Combat prowess in chosen element.
- Flight makes sense thematically as the VD fills voids. Combat Prowess is simple enough. I take the Void Strike concept and turn it into an attack cantrip.

Overall, I think I nailed the concept, though I still need to balance it a little. Void sense is just ridiculous. Then again, it was already ridiculous in 3.5...

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2016-10-02, 08:45 PM
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/DnD_Conversions.pdf