PDA

View Full Version : Vaati

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 08:26 PM
What exactly are the vaati? They are mentioned in the Aarakocra (think thats wrong) entry and then again in Dragon Magazine 353 in the Black Abyss section, the same article mentioning someone known as Lord Ygor???? Any information on this at all?

lunaticfringe
2016-09-22, 08:37 PM
Lawful Neutral Elemental Air Lords, see also Wind Dukes of Aaqa

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 10:12 PM
Before the planes were shaped like they were now, and Good and Evil didn't matter much on the Cosmic Scale (IE: 1st edition); Law and Chaos waged a war on a scale unheard of since then. It took place on every plane of existence, including the inner planes. The Vaati were an Inner Planes race (from the Plane of Air) perhaps something akin to Djinn (though specifics from that ancient time period are... lacking) that were some of the major players on the side of Law.

They are perhaps most famous for the creation of the 'Rod of Seven Parts' and the role it played in destroying Chaos' champion (a demon called Miska the Wolf-Spider).

They don't exist on the Inner Planes anymore, but some still survive on a few of the Prime worlds (mostly famously in the Vale of Aaqa, hence their being called 'the wind dukes of Aaqa' in the modern age; probably but not definitely the Prime World of Greyhawk)

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 10:16 PM
hmm interesting. Now to just figured out why the demiplane of Black Abyss is linked to them. I am building a more complex forgotten realms mythos for my game and was just curious. Would love to know more of the Vaati
And who is this queen of chaos they opposed? i feel like that would connect them to the Black Abyss

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 10:26 PM
Not much more to know about them really. Some of the older Planescape manuals had some 1e/2e stats on them... the had a seven part caste system and were overwhelmingly Lawful Neutral... Genies may have been created as a slave-race to them, though that might not be true (no one knows for sure)

They looked like this: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/img/vaati.gif

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 10:27 PM
Yea found a good site that described them, now just wondering who the Queen of Chaos is

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 10:31 PM
Yea found a good site that described them, now just wondering who the Queen of Chaos is
The Queen of Chaos was the 'leader' (as much as their could be a thing) of the forces of Chaos, a Demon (of the type 'obyrith', so the older order of demons preceding Tanar'ri born naturally from the Abyss itself). She was famous for leading their armies, creating new types of demons (she made Demogorgon). After her champion fell, she tore the alliance of chaos apart by trapping a bunch of Eladrin (the CG Outsider, not the type of Elf) to leech off their power. She still exists on the 14th layer of the Abyss, scheming to restart the War of Law and Chaos; but mostly laying low because she has just soooo many enemies (demonic and otherwise)

Descriptions vary but she looks something like this: http://kingdomsofarkonia.wikispaces.com/file/view/DEMON%20QUEEN.jpg/389577760/DEMON%20QUEEN.jpg

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 10:35 PM
OH i know who that is. Wow how did i miss that. Thanks alot. Seriously.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-22, 10:51 PM
That's actually art from an earlier edition for Zuggtmoy. Still, it works pretty well. I like new Zuggtmoy better anyway. All hail the Fungi Queen!

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 10:55 PM
I didnt even see the pic before. lol. That is a cool pic though.

Naanomi
2016-09-22, 11:11 PM
That's actually art from an earlier edition for Zuggtmoy. Still, it works pretty well. I like new Zuggtmoy better anyway. All hail the Fungi Queen!
Damn you are right, she was mislabeled in my source. The only pic I find of the queen of chaos is one of the rediculous 1e ones

lunaticfringe
2016-09-22, 11:20 PM
No big deal it works, Zuggtmoy got a face lift in 5e anyway. I just shoot for close enough when I get art for my games.

Envyus
2016-09-22, 11:51 PM
This is an actual pic of the queen of chaos

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BmXTKU2fsAc/VcujrA42qRI/AAAAAAAAFE0/_CU1iXF6Wjg/s1600/258queenofchaos.jpg

j_spencer93
2016-09-22, 11:55 PM
the more i learn about the realms the better my planar campaign will be. Btw, she looks cool actually. Anywhere i can get more info on her?

Therumancer
2016-09-23, 03:25 AM
the more i learn about the realms the better my planar campaign will be. Btw, she looks cool actually. Anywhere i can get more info on her?

The 2E super adventure "The Rod Of Seven Parts" (boxed set).

I'm an old 2E guy, it was my favorite edition and I have a ton of material for it. :)

Naanomi
2016-09-23, 07:39 AM
Also info in the 3.5 Fiendisb Codex 1

JackPhoenix
2016-09-23, 07:57 AM
May I suggest looking for Afroakuma's planar question threads? I remember he talked about Queen of Chaos, Vaati, Chaos-Law war and all that ancient history in detail, and it's a good and inspiring read fo any campaign dealing with planes.

j_spencer93
2016-09-23, 05:59 PM
I've been slowly going through his forums, its just alot lol. And thanks for the info guys, ill try to look more up on her now.