PDA

View Full Version : UA Fighter:Scout + Revised Ranger shenanigans

8wGremlin
2016-09-22, 10:34 PM
Fun Find:

Fighter: Scout from http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf

it's 3rd level ability states

Natural Explorer
At 3rd level, you gain the ranger class feature of the same name, with the following alteration: You choose additional favored terrain types at 7th and 15th level.

Now with the revised Ranger http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf That becomes

Natural Explorer
You are a master of navigating the natural world,
and you react with swift and decisive action
when attacked. This grants you the following
benefits:

You ignore difficult terrain.
You have Advantage on initiative rolls.
On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:
Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s
travel.
Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

not bad on the fighter chassis...

Arkhios
2016-09-22, 11:03 PM
I'm not exactly sure it's supposed to work that way. The Scout's version is based upon original ranger's Natural Explorer, and it also refers to gaining additional favored terrains, which can't apply to the revised version.

MeeposFire
2016-09-22, 11:04 PM
Yea I would not think you would have a lot of people going that way. They probably would say you get the older version. Congrats you are now mechanically distinct!

Saeviomage
2016-09-22, 11:23 PM
Of course it's not much of a benefit, because you get that whole power (plus favoured enemy:humans!) just by taking 1 level of ranger.

djreynolds
2016-09-23, 01:56 AM
I was planning on playing a scout for the Storm King, really for the skill boost and precision and I like the scout's parry.

It could work, but our DM has ruled scout and old ranger, but not scout and new ranger. So I may have to go battlemaster and ranger.