PDA

View Full Version : Using the party ranger as a weapon. Revised ranger/battlemaster question.

Calibus
2016-09-22, 10:55 PM
Curious question: with commanders strike from the battlemaster line of superiority; can the ability be used on a Ranger who has Sharpshooter as a feat? Can sharpshooter be utilized in this case?

Joining a new group for a new session and was plotting a scoundrel dou with one of the other players.

Kadzar
2016-09-22, 11:48 PM
I don't see why not. Sharpshooter requires they make an attack roll, which Commander's Strike grants, and they need to make a weapon attack, which shooting with a bow definitely counts as. Other common uses of Commander's Strike I've heard of are having a paladin use smite with this attack and letting a rogue get an extra sneak attack for the round (since sneak attack is limited to once per turn, rather than once per round).

Also keep in mind that Commander's Strike requires your ally to use their reaction to make the attack, which probably makes the ranger the best person to receive it, as you can't make opportunity attacks with a ranged weapon, and, as far as I know, rangers don't really have any other use for their reaction.

Calibus
2016-09-23, 12:10 AM
Good to know. I just want to make sure it's a viable tactic.

The plan was to take skills and levels that bettered our characters as partners in role play and in combat

For example: at level 10

I will have rev.ranger(6) Champion(4)
My partner is BM(3)War priest(7)

The channel divinity +10 reaction with commanders Strike sharpshooter seems like a very interesting combination. Along with Rangers spells such as hail of thorns or ensnaring strike. I've also thought maybe to go rogue instead of fighter line.

djreynolds
2016-09-23, 04:25 AM
Good to know. I just want to make sure it's a viable tactic.

The plan was to take skills and levels that bettered our characters as partners in role play and in combat

For example: at level 10

I will have rev.ranger(6) Champion(4)
My partner is BM(3)War priest(7)

The channel divinity +10 reaction with commanders Strike sharpshooter seems like a very interesting combination. Along with Rangers spells such as hail of thorns or ensnaring strike. I've also thought maybe to go rogue instead of fighter line.

Though I love the tactic, I might grab a rogue for some sneak attack damage, or battlemaster for the precision maneuver or disarm or trip, to repay the cleric for his kindness. Could work

Sir cryosin
2016-09-23, 08:24 AM
What are ya'll weapon load out. And a rogue theft or arcane trickster would be nice for a bonus action disarmed. Or one can go sword and shield and pick up shield master feat to knock prone there are a lot of ways to make combos with another pc.