PDA

View Full Version : Thor with UA Devoted?

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-23, 02:31 AM
Wanting to rebuild the feel of Thor with all the right components and spells

Fighter: Eldritch Knight 8 / Wizard: Theurge (Tempest) 12

Does it work any better than Vengeance Paladin/Storm Sorc to replicate the feel?

King539
2016-09-25, 03:28 PM
Well, Thor is tough and a wizard's hit die is small as they go. I'm not quite sure why a plain Tempest Cleric wouldn't work. I just can't see Thor with his nose buried in a book each morning, preparing his spells for the day. :smalltongue:

Also, I may have to steal that dwarven prayer in your signature for my dwarven cleric. :smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-26, 07:15 AM
Steal away, I stole it myself

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-26, 07:19 AM
And clerics have to pray for their spells. The only one who wouldn't have to prepare spells would be a sorcerer.

I was mostly implying the tempest cleric features paired with expanded wizard lightning/thunder spells

I think the tempest features fit better than storm sorc features...

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 07:37 AM
Also, Thor is dumb as a brick but get the ladies. High Charisma but abysmal Intelligence and Wisdom.
Sounds like a Paladin to me. Thunderous Smite much?

Sianthus
2016-09-26, 07:47 AM
Also, Thor is dumb as a brick but get the ladies. High Charisma but abysmal Intelligence and Wisdom.
Sounds like a Paladin to me. Thunderous Smite much?

Agreed. You could multiclass into Storm sorcerer if you need more shabang in your spells too. Maybe Venge Pally 6/ Storm sorcerer 14?

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 08:05 AM
Agreed. You could multiclass into Storm sorcerer if you need more shabang in your spells too. Maybe Venge Pally 6/ Storm sorcerer 14?Heart of The Storm and Thunderous Smite is quite potent and very thematic.

Specter
2016-09-26, 08:40 AM
I'd go EK 7/Tempest Cleric 13. War Magic paired with Tempest's damage goodness will be great.

clash
2016-09-26, 09:57 AM
Two Words: Weapon Bond.

What has more Thor flavor than summoning your weapon back to your hand. EK is the way to go.

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 10:08 AM
Two Words: Weapon Bond.

What has more Thor flavor than summoning your weapon back to your hand. EK is the way to go.I see your Weapon Bond and raise you Dwarven Thrower magical item. Boom! ;)

Joke aside. That is a very good point.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-26, 03:02 PM
Vhuman Paladin of Ancients /Dragon Sorcerer (HD boost) is how I would pull it off.

Or just a Tempest Cleric with cha as my casting stat.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-27, 12:15 AM
I see your Weapon Bond and raise you Dwarven Thrower magical item. Boom! ;)

Joke aside. That is a very good point.

Dwarven thrower has racial attunement requirements, so in that case I think weapon bond from EK is better.

I don't see why everyone is so down on the wizard if they're saying sorcerer... Seems pretty equivalent

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-27, 01:32 AM
Vhuman Paladin of Ancients /Dragon Sorcerer (HD boost) is how I would pull it off.

Or just a Tempest Cleric with cha as my casting stat.

And unfortunately Cha Cleric would be a house rule that the DM would have to make, so I don't really care about your homebrew idea.

And how people said they don't see Thor as bookish, well I don't see him as dragon-blooded.

Pal or EK with Cleric, how do you address mixing Cha or Int and Wis casting stats??

Can someone just give me a straightforward answer on EK+Theurge(Tempest)?

X3r4ph
2016-09-27, 01:23 PM
I think you will be fine with EK and Tempest. Just make sure to pick EK spells that doesn't rely on saving throws and keep intelligence at 8-10.
Consider picking up Magical Initiate for Thunderous Smite... and uhm maybe Lightning Lure for your Tempest. Should be a lot of fun combining all the forced movement. There is a Druid spell that deals damage when people move through it, forced or not, get your friendly neighborhood Druid to cast this, and push and pull enemies in and out of it all day :D

R.Shackleford
2016-09-27, 01:31 PM
And unfortunately Cha Cleric would be a house rule that the DM would have to make, so I don't really care about your homebrew idea.

And how people said they don't see Thor as bookish, well I don't see him as dragon-blooded.

Pal or EK with Cleric, how do you address mixing Cha or Int and Wis casting stats??

Can someone just give me a straightforward answer on EK+Theurge(Tempest)?

Sorcerers aren't bookish, you are thinking Wizards.
Dragon blooded sorcerers has nothing to do with knowledge/books unless you change some stuff or take the sage background.

5e is very much "ask your DM" on pretty much everything, even taking feats or multiclassing require you to ask your DM (they are optional rules) so asking for a Cha Cleric is right up the same alley.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-27, 07:30 PM
That's what I was saying. Other people don't see Thor as using wizard spells. I don't see any reason for him to be a dragon blooded sorcerer

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-09-27, 07:33 PM
I think you will be fine with EK and Tempest. Just make sure to pick EK spells that doesn't rely on saving throws and keep intelligence at 8-10.
Consider picking up Magical Initiate for Thunderous Smite... and uhm maybe Lightning Lure for your Tempest. Should be a lot of fun combining all the forced movement. There is a Druid spell that deals damage when people move through it, forced or not, get your friendly neighborhood Druid to cast this, and push and pull enemies in and out of it all day :D

I don't think you can get any smite spells with magical initiate, because paladin isn't a valid choice for that feat, and I'm not sure it's on any other Spellcasting list (domains aside)