PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Backup Character Ideas

Chester
2016-09-23, 08:59 AM
Hello Playground.

Long story short: I don't expect my Warforged Juggernaut to live through tonight's session. We know the DM is throwing an enemy party at us that will be quite a challenge, and I'm the party's front line.

So, I'm looking for a backup character, so I wonder if you'd all weigh in on the options.

1a. There's another Warforged who works at our blacksmith / armor shop. Potential Artificer-type build.
1b. Our party rescued a drunken goblin from a mob of angry Kobolds. He "assists" at the shop, and we've used him for tracking, etc. in the past.
1c. We've also helped out a desperate half-dragon kobold rogue/sorcerer/alchemist type character.

I was thinking of a Pious Templar / Gray Guard build.

Option 3 is to give the party the option to resurrect me, but it has to be the group's decision, not mine.

Go ahead, weigh in. Just looking for input. Don't worry about the party make-up; we're more about playing what we want, not what we need.

khadgar567
2016-09-23, 09:09 AM
okay first whats the parties composition do you have arcane caster can gtfo if things get to dicey or divine caster with healing what about skill monkey or tank character
so please answer the following questions
1. what is the current parties make up?
2. what books are on table?
3.what type build you like?

Chester
2016-09-23, 09:24 AM
okay first whats the parties composition do you have arcane caster can gtfo if things get to dicey or divine caster with healing what about skill monkey or tank character
so please answer the following questions
1. what is the current parties make up?
2. what books are on table?
3.what type build you like?

Me (Warforged Barbarian 1 / Dungeoncrasher 5 / Juggernaut 5
Human Fighter 1 / Artificer 8 / Occult Slayer 2
Human Paladin of Freedom 2 / Sorcerer 4 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 4
Elan Transmuter 1 / Nomad 3 / Cerebremancer 7
Human Monk / Cleric / Sacred Fist (whose precise build escapes me at the moment.)

But like I said.....don't worry about the need.

2. All official books are on the table except Tome of Battle classes such as Warblade and Crusader

3. Although I liked the role of the party tank, I don't have to be, as our Paladin / Sorcerer can do that if he wants. I'm okay with any of those ideas I posted. I'm just looking for input given the options.

khadgar567
2016-09-23, 10:11 AM
Me (Warforged Barbarian 1 / Dungeoncrasher 5 / Juggernaut 5
Human Fighter 1 / Artificer 8 / Occult Slayer 2
Human Paladin of Freedom 2 / Sorcerer 4 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 4
Elan Transmuter 1 / Nomad 3 / Cerebremancer 7
Human Monk / Cleric / Sacred Fist (whose precise build escapes me at the moment.)

But like I said.....don't worry about the need.

2. All official books are on the table except Tome of Battle classes such as Warblade and Crusader

3. Although I liked the role of the party tank, I don't have to be, as our Paladin / Sorcerer can do that if he wants. I'm okay with any of those ideas I posted. I'm just looking for input given the options.
one more pseudo question you are using 3.5 not pathfinder for main mechanics
so for next batch of important questions
1. melee or ranged
2. magic,martial or psionics
3. just for back ground what did your party do to piss the dm enough to prepare total party kill( aka back ground for camping world

ComaVision
2016-09-23, 10:22 AM
As a DM, I'd love if my players wanted to take over a friendly NPC when they make a new character. An Artificer would probably fit in well with what appears to be a pretty gishy group.

Name1
2016-09-23, 10:50 AM
I think the Goblin would be a good idea: Make him a Warlock 2/Rogue 9 with the Track feat, Devil's Sight and Darkness, give him a Ring of The Darkhidden and lots of ranks in Survival + Hide, have him take leadership to get a sorcerer 8 (Maybe the mentioned Kobold would work out, but that would require said Kobold to have his LA severely reduced, since he's a multiclass-mess).

Said Sorcerer has one single purpose: To polymorph him into an 11-Headed Hydra. The Hydra should be able to be inside the Darkness-Invocation, where Ring of the Darkhidden makes said Hydra invisible to Darkvision, but you can still see due to Devil's Sight (IIRC).

Now you need to full-round sneak attack with your eleven heads to deal a fistful of d6^^ (and a d10, but, you know...)

Chester
2016-09-23, 10:54 AM
one more pseudo question you are using 3.5 not pathfinder for main mechanics
so for next batch of important questions
1. melee or ranged
2. magic,martial or psionics
3. just for back ground what did your party do to piss the dm enough to prepare total party kill( aka back ground for camping world

1. Either.
2. Martial, can do mix of magic. I don't enjoy psionics.
3. We are renowned do-gooders, defeated and foiled minions of an old black dragon.

khadgar567
2016-09-23, 11:01 AM
is pathfinder on table and thanks for answering my 6 questions
can play any position no problem with getting hand dirty
again if pathfinder on the table I advice magus can melee and has enough magic to cover most of his role

Chester
2016-09-24, 10:31 AM
No Pathfinder.

Update: We had to stop mid battle. Facing a party of Half Dragons, including a flying War Hulk. My Warforged is currently inert at -7. That was an incredibly close call. My die rolls were not in my favor otherwise.

Blackhawk748
2016-09-24, 10:42 AM
If you're still thinking you could do a mounted build, but this really only works if you spend a decent amount of time outside.

Name1
2016-09-24, 10:43 AM
...A party of half-dragons? Like... Level 8 Characters with the template? And they are still killing you guys? Huh...

Anyway, I still think that the Goblin could be a working character :3

Chester
2016-09-25, 06:25 AM
...A party of half-dragons? Like... Level 8 Characters with the template? And they are still killing you guys? Huh...

Anyway, I still think that the Goblin could be a working character :3

No, they're each apparently at CR 14. Much higher than level 8.

I'm working on the Goblin.