PDA

View Full Version : Sheet RPG

qwertyu63
2016-09-23, 09:17 AM
Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I recently crafted a d20-based RPG where the entire rules fit onto the character sheet.

The character sheet/rules can be found here. (http://imgur.com/a/oxljL)

EDIT: Updated version here. (https://imgur.com/gallery/1Kzal)

Jormengand
2016-09-23, 11:00 AM
So hang on, you pretty much are forced to take a ranged weapon to keep up with magi who will be casting Wings of Air at the start of each combat (and rogues have very little reason not to take the light weapon anyway), and a single flame blast is not unlikely to take out nonwarriors in a single shot from first level, but HP scales and damage doesn't, so it just becomes a slog of ranged weapon attacks and flame blasts, and there seems to be no limit to the number of spells you can cast in a turn so actually a mage either just throws flame blasts until everyone he's fighting is dead or he runs out of mana, or runs into the middle of everyone and fires off shock spheres, except of course that he would deal damage to himself if he does that because he's within 10' of himself by definition.

Trying to write really, really short versions of rules rather than explaining yourself properly isn't actually good game design. Having the total number of functionally different characters (ignoring those which are strictly worse than some other character, such as a warrior with a simple weapon) be just 534 is slightly worrying, and many of those are characters you simply would not play (there's no point in being a mage with ice armour, stone fist and wings of air when you could just be a warrior and have the same AC, same accuracy, and more damage).

Also, lockpicks aren't specified to help with opening locks, for the record.

Ruslan
2016-09-23, 11:14 AM
there seems to be no limit to the number of spells you can cast in a turn

On their turn, characters can move 30' and attack once.

In combat, casting a spell replaces attacking.
Clearly, the limit on the number of spells you can cast in a turn is one. I do agree making flight available from level 1 is probably a mistake. Otherwise, love the simplicity.

Jormengand
2016-09-23, 11:24 AM
Clearly, the limit on the number of spells you can cast in a turn is one. I do agree making flight available from level 1 is probably a mistake. Otherwise, love the simplicity.

Yes, apologies, I missed this. Of course, no definition is given of when one is "In combat", and the fact that one is able to "Cast spells at any time" is somewhat confusing coupled with the fact that you can apparently only do it once.

qwertyu63
2016-09-23, 02:39 PM
Alright, the Flight spell should go. How did I not think of that? I'll swap it out for something else.

Yes, the spells per turn limit is one.

I haven't though of an elegant way to scale the damage. I'll go toy around with it. Off to Inkscape.

Ruslan
2016-09-27, 01:32 PM
Why not just add +Level to all spells and weapons damage?

qwertyu63
2016-09-30, 10:13 PM
Why not just add +Level to all spells and weapons damage?

That's what I would up doing in my Inkscape file. I just haven't updated because I'm working on a replacement spell.