PDA

View Full Version : Fireproof quaterstaff

AncientWolflord
2016-09-23, 10:06 AM
So, I'm playing a monk who is eternally on fire (homebrewed level 3 continual flame that does damage, on a race with 5 fire resistance) and I want to get a quarterstaff that won't need to be replaced after every battle. Right now the best I can find is the permanent ironwood solution that costs over 60kgp. Does anyone have ideas for a permanently fireproof staff? Preferably for less than 1kgp 3.5 game, anything published goes, my DM is generally open to using stuff from pathfinder.

Darrin
2016-09-23, 10:32 AM
I'm tempted to say just make it out of metal, and then pick whatever special material you like, but if you want something nearly indestructible:

Riverine quarterstaff would cost 8000 GP (2000 GP per pound, Stormwrack).

BowStreetRunner
2016-09-23, 10:35 AM
I don't recall there being anything in the rules regarding quarterstaves that specified the material from which they are made. So you can make it out of metal or some other fireproof material - as long as it is strong enough to be used as a weapon.

Inevitability
2016-09-23, 11:10 AM
I'm tempted to say just make it out of metal, and then pick whatever special material you like, but if you want something nearly indestructible:

Riverine quarterstaff would cost 8000 GP (2000 GP per pound, Stormwrack).

I second this: riverine will also be very useful against incorporeal creatures, and there's a lot of things one can do with what's essentially an indestructible 5-ft. pole.

Bronk
2016-09-23, 11:11 AM
This is a weird situation, but even if your energy resistance doesn't cover your equipment for some reason, your quarterstaff wouldn't burn up anyway.

The rules for this are here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire

But basically, if your item catches on fire, it takes the same amount of damage that you do (last line in the section). So, basically your monk, on fire, but not getting hurt, would also have a quarterstaff that may or may not be on fire, but also not being damaged by the flames.

That should go for your clothes and other equipment as well.

Zanos
2016-09-23, 11:20 AM
Fire does half damage to non flammable objects.
A deep crystal quartetstaff has hardness 10.
You'd need to be putting out over 20 fire damage per round to damage that. 600gp, and is RAW if your DM won't let you just get a metal staff.