PDA

View Full Version : Automatically Succeed on a Saving throw

Yogibear41
2016-09-23, 12:20 PM
The legendary leader Prestige class grants the ability to automatically succeed on a single saving throw 1/day. Are there any other prestige classes, magic items, or other abilities that have a similar ability?

Necroticplague
2016-09-23, 12:25 PM
The legendary leader Prestige class grants the ability to automatically succeed on a single saving throw 1/day. Are there any other prestige classes, magic items, or other abilities that have a similar ability?

Steadfast Determination allows you to never fail FORT saves on a natural 1, which basically means your'e immune against anything with a DC of your FORT bonus+1.

Name1
2016-09-23, 12:38 PM
Surge of Fortue is a spell that allows this.

Inevitability
2016-09-23, 01:23 PM
There's a few maneuvers that let you substitute a concentration check for a saving throw. It doesn't allow you to succeed instantaneously, but skill checks are easier to boost than saving throws and don't fail on a natural 1.

Leewei
2016-09-23, 01:36 PM
Flat-out immunity is usually the way I see things go. This is typically done using Polymorph, or by applying a template to become undead.

Delay poison gives you very short-lived poison immunity at lower levels. Following an encounter, you can substitute in a Heal check.

Protection from Evil and similar spells allow you to avoid the worst effects of Dominate and similar abilities.

Heroes' Feast grants immunity to both poison and fear for 12 hours.

Freedom of Movement grants immunity to slow and paralysis effects.

Monk and Paladin classes grant immunities.

Crake
2016-09-24, 04:08 AM
While not explicit, limited wish could arguably do this, as it does include "automatically hitting on your next attack roll" which can be pretty powerful, so I would imagine "automatically succeeding on a saving throw" is about in line with that, though you'd have to consult your DM. Though i suppose it could just be used to duplicate the surge of fortune spell, which 100% does what you want as someone mentioned earlier.

Thurbane
2016-09-24, 06:49 PM
Aren't there a few abilities that allow you to take 10 on a save? If your base save is high enough, it's an auto-pass. Or maybe I'm thinking of attack rolls?

There's also (at least) one that allows you to treat a natural 1 as a natural 20. Not an auto-pass, but still handy.

Deophaun
2016-09-24, 07:09 PM
Aren't there a few abilities that allow you to take 10 on a save? If your base save is high enough, it's an auto-pass. Or maybe I'm thinking of attack rolls?
You could do this with a psionic character and the Diamond Mind maneuvers, expending your psionic focus to "Take 15" on the Concentration check.

There's also (at least) one that allows you to treat a natural 1 as a natural 20. Not an auto-pass, but still handy.
Also, Planar Touchstone for the Catalogues of Enlightenment to access the Pride Domain's power will let you re-roll natural 1s on your saves.

Name1
2016-09-24, 07:52 PM

...I know something that does the opposite, but I never heard of this...

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-24, 08:39 PM
Deities of sufficiently high divine rank automatically succeed on all saving throws, all the time.

erok0809
2016-09-25, 02:26 AM
...I know something that does the opposite, but I never heard of this...

I'm not sure if there are others, but the Luck feat "Better Lucky Than Good" from Complete Scoundrel lets you spend a luck reroll to treat a nat 1 as a nat 20, but it only works on attack rolls, and you can only do it 1/day even if you have more luck rerolls than that.

Thurbane
2016-09-25, 02:43 AM
I'm not sure if there are others, but the Luck feat "Better Lucky Than Good" from Complete Scoundrel lets you spend a luck reroll to treat a nat 1 as a nat 20, but it only works on attack rolls, and you can only do it 1/day even if you have more luck rerolls than that.

I could've sworn there was an equivalent for saves - maybe that attack roll one was what I was thinking of. Maybe I was mixing that together with the Pride domain power.

Nope, I was right: the Dumb Luck feat, also in complete scoundrel.