PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed It's Opposite Day! Cursed Items for the Clever Adventurer.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-23, 03:55 PM
We all know about how useful a -2 cursed sword is (cannot be dropped, stolen, sundered, or disarmed, acts as a returning weapon automatically, and is great for drawing multiple times per round for Iaijutsu Focus benefits), or the dust of sneezing and choking (unavoidable stunning condition unless the targets are immune), but what other cursed items could come in really handy? I'm mostly interested in the opposite effect, requirement, and drawback, if chosen carefully during crafting (rather than being randomly rolled).

Gender change or race change would be useful for someone who is either suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder) who wants assistance with avoiding being ID'd, or can garner a mechanical benefit from being, say, a dwarf at that time in their build progression.

Type change could grant some great benefits. Change into an outsider so you can alter self into a lantern archon? Gain the undead type so you gain all the benefits of being undead (including immortality) without having to kill yourself or go through a painful ritual? Gain immunity to critical hits because you became an ooze? Casting a heavily metamagicked awaken on yourself because you're now an animal? All of those and many more are possible.

If the item emits a disturbing sound, I could easily see a disturbed individual using it as one of his signature tells. A gnomish bard could use his undergarments of moaning +1 and a few well-crafted tales to spread the infamy of his bedroom prowess.

The changes character's alignment trait would be a much cheaper way to alter someone's outlook on life than a helm of opposite alignment. That cursed oil of cure minor wounds can be used as a splash weapon to turn the BBEG Lawful Good easily, especially given how cheap they are to produce.

The negative level(s) and cannot cast spells abilities could make for some seriously nasty weapons when added to ammo, potions, or oils. Whether you're firing them at enemies or attempting to (metaphorically) castrate an enemy by tricking him into using the cursed item, these can be quite nasty (and quite cheap).

Adding a specific requirement onto an item can be a great way to ensure that nobody can use it but you. Much like the PIN on a debit card or the keys to a car, if your dentures of the apocalypse are ever stolen, you can rest assured that the world is safe...unless the thief happens to be a transgendered male gnome by the name of Saint Sisyphus Sassypants the Seventh, of course.

However, the opposite effect trait is where things really start getting interesting, and it's where I imagine that most of this thread's focus will be, and it's what curses all the following:

Cursed arrows (or other weapon) of brilliant energy would completely ignore everything but nonliving matter. (This one goes to KittySLillian, who gave me the idea for this thread.) So they only affect nonliving objects, undead, and constructs. So if you're expecting a huge battle against invading hordes of undead, and lots of (living) innocent bystanders, grab yourself some of these with the exit wounds and explosive enhancements so you can fire right through the townsfolks' bodies and wreak havoc on the undead without worrying about friendly fire. Just make sure you're wearing gauntlets or gloves so you can actually pick up the arrows.

A cursed shortsword of defending would allow you to reduce your AC to increase the enhancement bonus on the weapon. Sure, you'll have to waste a point of AC to overcome the preexisting penalty to attack and damage, but it's a really cheap way to get an epic enhancement bonus to hit and damage.

A cursed great maul of disruption has a chance to automatically kill any living creature it hits, and it can also resurrect any corpse it strikes.

A cursed merciful sap allows you to carry around a weapon that appears to deal nonlethal damage but actually deals lethal damage, instead. It's a great way to make a paladin fall; he thinks he can knock out the civilian target he needs to subdue, but it turns out that, yeah, he just killed an innocent man.

Cursed arrows of seeking would normally not be terribly usable, but if a sneakthief can infiltrate an enemy fortification with cursed arrows that have a sizable miss chance whenever they're fired, it would certainly make the next day's attack against them a lot less painful for the attackers.

A cursed weapon of shocking/flaming/frost/holy/etc might actually heal anyone it hits. Get yourself a sap with these on it, and suddenly you're dealing 1d4 nonlethal and healing LotsD6 damage in return. Likewise, if it's a cursed anarchic unholy greatsword and you're wielding it as a Lawful Good character, expect to have some nice anti-negative levels in your future; gaining +2 on all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, effective levels (for determining if you're hit by blasphemy, etc), and gaining extra spell levels of your highest castable spells if you're a spellcaster are some REALLY nice benefits.

A Tiny sized cursed vicious dagger is especially nice, since it deals almost no damage, but it heals your target 2d6 damage and heals you 1d6.

And a cursed wounding sap would be nice, since it grants bonus Con to whoever it hits. Combine with all the other healing weapons above.

Cursed wild armor could be donned while in wild shape and meld with your human form when you turn back.

I'm sure there are other opposite-effect items which could be incredibly useful. What effects can you think up?

Starbuck_II
2016-09-23, 05:40 PM
Heck, the armor of a rage is the cheapest full plate you can buy (cheapest medium magical armor actually).

Sure, enemy gets +1 morale, but then again, bless is a typical buff so only really boost low int creatures. Still good armor vs undead/Constructs (they can't get morale bonuses).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-23, 05:47 PM
Adding the merciful curse to a whip is the only way that I know of to make a normal whip deal lethal damage, though it still sucks horribly.

Troacctid
2016-09-23, 07:58 PM
In Pathfinder, an intentionally cursed item is often significantly cheaper to craft than the non-cursed version. For example, an easy requirement is worth an easy 10% off, and an "Opposite effect or target" item has its cost reduced by a whopping 50%.

A cursed shortsword of defending would allow you to reduce your AC to increase the enhancement bonus on the weapon. Sure, you'll have to waste a point of AC to overcome the preexisting penalty to attack and damage, but it's a really cheap way to get an epic enhancement bonus to hit and damage.
More likely, it would allow you to reduce your attack bonus to apply a penalty to your AC.

A cursed great maul of disruption has a chance to automatically kill any living creature it hits, and it can also resurrect any corpse it strikes.
Or possibly it would instantly fully heal any undead it strikes, and still have no effect on living creatures. Although I guess if you have undead allies, that's pretty good too.

A cursed merciful sap allows you to carry around a weapon that appears to deal nonlethal damage but actually deals lethal damage, instead. It's a great way to make a paladin fall; he thinks he can knock out the civilian target he needs to subdue, but it turns out that, yeah, he just killed an innocent man.
If it also takes a -1d6 penalty to its damage, it might make it tough to kill someone with it.

Likewise, if it's a cursed anarchic unholy greatsword and you're wielding it as a Lawful Good character, expect to have some nice anti-negative levels in your future; gaining +2 on all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, effective levels (for determining if you're hit by blasphemy, etc), and gaining extra spell levels of your highest castable spells if you're a spellcaster are some REALLY nice benefits.
I think the "opposite" of an unholy anarchic weapon is just a holy axiomatic weapon. It's not going to give you positive levels, it's just going to reverse the alignments it affects. Which is actually still great under the PF rules because it's basically a free 50% off your holy weapon.

Darrin
2016-09-23, 09:11 PM
Pick up a loadstone, enchant it with continuous expeditious retreat, and a 1/day permanent image of your spellbook. Never lose your spellbook again.

Troacctid
2016-09-23, 09:18 PM
Pick up a loadstone, enchant it with continuous expeditious retreat, and a 1/day permanent image of your spellbook. Never lose your spellbook again.
That does nothing to stop you from losing your spellbook, although I guess if you scribe spells directly onto the loadstone, you'll keep those ones.

Bohandas
2016-09-24, 01:15 AM
I think the reversed flaming weapon is just a frost weapon and vice-versa

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-24, 02:52 AM
A reversed flaming/shocking/frost/corrosive weapon would probably deal its extra elemental damage to the wielder instead of the target, and a vicious weapon would deal 1d6 extra to the target and 2d6 to the wielder. I'd apply the same sort of reversal to most on-hit-effect weapon enchantments that add typed damage or non-HP-damage effects - a cursed vorpal weapon would chop of its wielder's head on a natural 20.

Inevitability
2016-09-24, 05:09 AM
Would a reversed Bag of Tricks be a badger that coughs up bags? :smalltongue:

More seriously:

A Reversed Cube of Frost Resistance would be useful to take to the Plane of Fire.

A Reversed Darkskull would be a great accessory for a Malconvoker. It's an evil dark skull crackling with necrotic energies... except it's actually [Good].

I wonder what happens if you stick a Reversed Decanter of Endless Water inside a water elemental. Similarly, a Reversed Eversmoking Bottle would be a good way to counter various fog or mist spells.

Reversed Figurines of Wondrous Power are also useful. Basically, they're animals that you can turn into statuettes a few times per week.

Would a Reversed Golem Manual be a golem whose ash can be used to enchant a normal Golem Manual? "Freeze-dried flesh golem: just add water!"

A Reversed Ioun's Stone would make its user orbit the stone, then gain bonuses to certain stats, right?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-03, 01:23 PM
The BoVD's cursespewing effect (-4 morale penalty to a bunch of stuff on a failed save) is pretty great on its own, but reverse the effect to a +4 bonus and add it to a sap with other effects that make it beneficial to thwap friends with it, and it makes for a really nice buff, even if it does result in a small amount of nonlethal damage. [edit] And I think it's a Permanent curse, too. Want +4 to attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, etc, permanently? You got it.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-11-03, 01:53 PM
Have spellfire, wear a ring of magnetism Now all spells target you and thanks to spellfire, you could eat it, or let it effect you.

Edit: That is a yugioh card, but I remember an item with a similar effect

VisitingDaGulag
2016-11-04, 10:39 AM
Maxi, can I get a rules quote on the ability to add something specific like this, or are we just relying on various "roll random" charts?

Segev
2016-11-04, 10:58 AM
The cursed defending sword is going to just let you lower your attack bonus to apply a penalty to your AC, sadly.

The cursed elemental-tag weapons will deal -1d6 [element] damage, minimum 1 total damage. How you get LESS damage from fire being applied at the same time as the cut is a good question, but it's cursed magic, so that's what it does.

Others of these are cool ideas.

And now I'm picturing a chicken-infested commoner with a cursed -2 sword. He never draws ANYTHING but a chicken or that sword.

A reverse-effect vorpal sword could be funny. Would it re-attach severed heads, or cause new heads to grow?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-04, 04:28 PM
Maxi, can I get a rules quote on the ability to add something specific like this, or are we just relying on various "roll random" charts?http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#oppositeEffectorTarget

Depending on how you define "opposite effect," mine could be perfectly viable. Healing and buffing instead of damage and debuffing are perfectly in line with a reversed damaging effect, and the passage explicitly notes that not all curses are negative.

[edit] With the energy effects and healing that are noted above, if you don't like that, there's always the consumptive weapon property, from the Planar Handbook. The opposite of damaging negative energy is healing positive energy. It's a +2 effect, so you pay quite a lot for it, and you have to handle the damage the weapon deals, as well.

Troacctid
2016-11-04, 04:42 PM
Maxi, can I get a rules quote on the ability to add something specific like this, or are we just relying on various "roll random" charts?

3.5 doesn't have rules for adding curses to items you craft, but PF does. They're in the cursed item rules.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-04, 06:03 PM
Reversed enervating armor would give all of your attacks positive levels (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_energycharge&alpha=). This is a huge buff, since they all stack, and they last a long time. In addition, any undead you kill with a positive level might rise as a positive energy wight that deals positive levels to anything it hits. Question: what happens if you're controlling a zombie that you kill with a positive level? Does it remain under your control when it rises as a positive energy wight? Can you use this to create an army of buffers for your army of darkness glowy goodness?