PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Scaling Up Storm King's Thunder

dropbear8mybaby
2016-09-23, 07:53 PM
I'm about to start running SKT for a group who've so far played from 1st-level to 8th-level through Horde of the Dragon Queen. I'm going to be tying their success in allying with the Cloud Giant into this adventure, but I don't want to skip any content. That means ignoring the advice of starting at 5th-level and skipping the first chapter.

So I'm just going to scale up the enemies, most probably by using more powerful substitutes. I'm hoping for some suggestions of what and when to substitute. Substitution won't always be required as often I can just add a few extra monsters to encounters and that will suffice, but I still need to determine where and when I need to make changes and what changes need to be made.

Draco4472
2016-09-23, 09:10 PM
The easiest solution would be to increase the number of monsters relative to the APL vs CR. Alternatively, you could increase the hitpoints and damage die of the monsters they face. Where and when you do this is up to you, depending on when and where the party should be in for a tough fight, such as fighting a major villian or a group as part of a important sub-quest.

Good luck DMing.

dropbear8mybaby
2016-09-23, 09:51 PM
The easiest solution would be to increase the number of monsters relative to the APL vs CR. Alternatively, you could increase the hitpoints and damage die of the monsters they face. Where and when you do this is up to you, depending on when and where the party should be in for a tough fight, such as fighting a major villian or a group as part of a important sub-quest.

Err... you just paraphrased everything I said in the OP...