PDA

View Full Version : charge and pounce, how many attacks get the +2 bonus?

Hiro Quester
2016-09-23, 10:49 PM
I'm playing a druid with one monk level, who prefers large cat wild shapes.

I have ben pouncing, but just noticed that I have not been taking advantage of the "charge" part of this special attack. Now I try to work out how to do that, I find the interaction between rules for pounce and charge hard to fit together.

Charge says this:

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.

If a tiger charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

So normally a charge is one big attack, but if I charge in tiger wildshape, I can make a full attack. As a druid with IUS, I make iterative kung fu strikes, then as -5 secondary attacks claw, claw, bite, and two rake attacks.

But what about that +2 to attack from the charge? That rule assumes only one attack, but pounce adds extra attacks, but seems unclear about whether that bonus applies to all attacks.

Does it apply to ALL attacks one makes (including the rake attacks)? The AC penalty lasts until the beginning of your next turn, so does the +2 to attacks apply to all attacks one makes that round?

Or does one only get to apply that +2 to attack to the FIRST attack one makes in the charge/pounce round?

Firest Kathon
2016-09-24, 05:07 AM
It depends how you read the sentence.

You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.
If it is "You (get a +2 bonus on the attack roll) and (take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn), then the +2 bonus would only apply to the attack granted by the charge and arguably none of the attacks in the full attack would get a +2 bonus.
You can also read it as "You (get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC) until the start of your next turn." In this case the +2 bonus applies to all attacks, and even any attacks of opportunity you make until your next turn.
I would personally apply the second reading of this rule.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-24, 09:00 AM
Yes. That is what I mean. It seems quite ambiguous.

This might just be up to DM to rule on.

Deophaun
2016-09-24, 09:18 AM
Rules Compendium answers that the +2 is on all attack rolls during your turn (so, not for AoOs)

Since you use the momentum of the charge in your favor, you receive a +2 bonus on any attack roll made during your turn when you charge.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-24, 11:28 AM
Of course. Should have thought to check the RC. Thanks!