PDA

View Full Version : New Beast Master Multi Class

SMac8988
2016-09-23, 11:32 PM
I've been reading over the redo to the beast master. I never saw a massive issue with the old one, but do enjoy the changes. The beast seems more like an allie than a robot that wasted an attack action most the time.

My question is how well does it multi class now? It seems like the beast would lose a bit more from the character venturing to far into another class.

I am thinking of a halfling ranger/rogue, focusing either two weapon with a wolf and short swords or one weapon and talking to me dm about sneak attack with a spear and shield.

I figure I'll invest more into the ranger than the rogue, to help bump damage with sneak attack since my wolf would always grant advantage.

So fellow giants how do you feel about the new beast master in a multi class build?

EvilAnagram
2016-09-23, 11:44 PM
The beast is tied to character level through proficiency, and hit dice, and it only gets ASIs when you do, so its basic stats will scale nicely. You'll basically just be trading its effectiveness in battle to boost your own a bit.

SMac8988
2016-09-24, 07:04 AM
The beat is tied to character level through proficiency, and hit dice, and it only gets ASIs when you do, so its basic stats will scale nicely. You'll basically just be trading its effectiveness in battle to boost your own a bit.

Oh I must have read it wrong. I thought it was tied to only ranger level. Well that is nice. My idea was for at least 7 levels in ranger for a level 10 build. And if going to 20 at least 12 for the Strom of claw thing. Then 8 rogue, idk which sub class though....

Specter
2016-09-24, 07:21 AM
Oh I must have read it wrong. I thought it was tied to only ranger level. Well that is nice. My idea was for at least 7 levels in ranger for a level 10 build. And if going to 20 at least 12 for the Strom of claw thing. Then 8 rogue, idk which sub class though....

Why not Assassin? Both you and the beast can move silently in a quick pace!

EvilAnagram
2016-09-24, 08:07 AM
Why not Assassin? Both you and the beast can move silently in a quick pace!

For some reason, a thief with a pet bear amuses me greatly. I just love the image of the bear doing parkour on the city skyline.

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 08:10 AM
For some reason, a thief with a pet bear amuses me greatly. I just love the image of the bear doing parkour on the city skyline.

Pffft, imagine a boar doing parkour! At bear at least has "arm" front paws. A stumpy boar trying to parkour is much more humorous! :P

EvilAnagram
2016-09-24, 08:15 AM
Pffft, imagine a boar doing parkour! At bear at least has "arm" front paws. A stumpy boar trying to parkour is much more humorous! :P

I absolutely disagree. Boars are never humorous, just angry. A boar doing parkour is just a boar charging really high up. If he's making it over walls and ****, that's just him leaping and staying fast.

Bears? Bears have heavy movements. Bears lumber. They plod. They stop to roll around for fun. That's where the humor comes from: an inagile creature attempting agile tasks. Boars are simply far to agile for these purposes.

tkuremento
2016-09-24, 08:37 AM
I absolutely disagree. Boars are never humorous, just angry. A boar doing parkour is just a boar charging really high up. If he's making it over walls and ****, that's just him leaping and staying fast.

Bears? Bears have heavy movements. Bears lumber. They plod. They stop to roll around for fun. That's where the humor comes from: an inagile creature attempting agile tasks. Boars are simply far to agile for these purposes.

Yea but you seem to be talking about an untrained bear. A trained bear can do a LOT of tricks and stuff. A trained boar isn't going to be able to sidle or attempt to hang off a ledge. Therefore, the boar will have to improvise.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-24, 08:58 AM
Yea but you seem to be talking about an untrained bear. A trained bear can do a LOT of tricks and stuff. A trained boar isn't going to be able to sidle or attempt to hang off a ledge. Therefore, the boar will have to improvise.

That's just difficulty, not hilarity.

bid
2016-09-24, 12:22 PM
The beast is tied to character level through proficiency, and hit dice
HD is tied to class level as are all class features.

Proficiency bonus is explicitely tied to character level on p163.

SMac8988
2016-09-24, 04:34 PM
I was thinking assassin or thief. Or even swash, but I feel the biggest benefit of swash is lost since my goal is to always be near my wolf.

I am going almost for a Kiba style character, from Naruto