PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter 1/warlock X

Klorox
2016-09-24, 12:16 AM
Hey guys. I'm currently playing a fighter 1/warlock 2 with the fiend pact. I'm having fun, and I think I'll stick with the concept. I just want to optimize him a bit better. Here's what I have so far:

Variant human. Background: mercenary veteran

S 16 D 8 C 14 I 8 W 10 Ch 16

Feat: great weapon fighting

Fighting style: great weapon fighter

Skills: athletics, persuasion, intimidation, insight, perception

My initial thoughts are to switch that fighting style to defense, as I was brought down a few times at level 1. Of course, perhaps I will want to be hit more often as my warlock levels grow.

Another thought is to replace my feat with heavy armor master, and adjust my stats so I'll have a few more points to play with since HAM boosts STR by 1.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions please. Thanks!

Malifice
2016-09-24, 12:52 AM
Hey guys. I'm currently playing a fighter 1/warlock 2 with the fiend pact. I'm having fun, and I think I'll stick with the concept. I just want to optimize him a bit better. Here's what I have so far:

My initial thoughts are to switch that fighting style to defense, as I was brought down a few times at level 1. Of course, perhaps I will want to be hit more often as my warlock levels grow.

Another thought is to replace my feat with heavy armor master, and adjust my stats so I'll have a few more points to play with since HAM boosts STR by 1.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions please. Thanks!

HAM is great (take it at 1st and the GWM at Fighter 1/ Warlock 4).

At 1st level it lets you assign a 14 to Str (you get 1 from the feat and 1 from human) for a few extra stat points to spare, and the DR 3 really meshes well with the Fiend locks ability to milk temp HP every round.

djreynolds
2016-09-24, 12:59 AM
2 questions for you guys

1. Why not paladin? instead of fighter. Paladin's get wisdom save proficiency and you can always get resilient con. And 2 levels for smiting

2. If I take 5 levels of a melee class and get the extra attack, can you skip thirsting blade invocations then or is that invocation the prereq for life drinker at 12

Malifice
2016-09-24, 01:20 AM
2 questions for you guys

1. Why not paladin? instead of fighter. Paladin's get wisdom save proficiency and you can always get resilient con. And 2 levels for smiting

2. If I take 5 levels of a melee class and get the extra attack, can you skip thirsting blade invocations then or is that invocation the prereq for life drinker at 12

Fighter 3/ Warlock 17 is much better.

9th level spells, Action surge and Sup dice in place of smite (and as an added short rest resource instead of chewing into your already precious spell slots) Con saves off the bat from 1st level (important for Hex).

With a Cha of 20 you're milking 22 HP per kill. You gain extra attack at 6th level in any event via bladelock (there is a slight period of suckage at 5th compared to other single classed fighters, but you'll have GWM and Greenflame blade scales at this level in any event).

Plus, next level (at 6th) you get extra attack AND fireball.

Your damage spike from [action surge] + [extra attack] + [hex] + [lifedrinker] + [gwm] + [sup dice] is impressive. It saves you slots to [riposte] or [hellish rebuke] when its not your turn as well. Bonus action [second wind] + [HAM DR 3] + [resistance to one of B/P/S] + [fiend lock milking temp HP all day long] + [porcipine damage] + [heavy armor] + [defence style] makes you very tanky.

djreynolds
2016-09-24, 01:24 AM

9th level spells, Action surge and Sup dice in place of smite (and as an added short rest resource instead of chewing into your already precious spell slots) Con saves off the bat from 1st level (important for Hex).

With a Cha of 20 you're milking 22 HP per kill. You gain extra attack at 6th level in any event via bladelock (there is a slight period of suckage at 5th compared to other single classed fighters, but you'll have GWM and Greenflame blade scales at this level in any event).

Plus, next level (at 6th) you get extra attack AND fireball.

But if he took say 6 levels of fighter, would he still have to take thirsting blade invocation to get the 2nd attack of could he take another invocation instead. Is thirsting blade a requirement for life drinker at warlock 12?

And I think 3 EK/warlock would be cool

Malifice
2016-09-24, 01:39 AM
But if he took say 6 levels of fighter, would he still have to take thirsting blade invocation to get the 2nd attack of could he take another invocation instead. Is thirsting blade a requirement for life drinker at warlock 12?

He'd lose out on invocations by taking 6 levels of Fighter instead of 3 (an extra 3 levels of warlock means he'll get more, and have more to swap out as he levels). He misses out on spells, delays warlock progression by tons etc.

He'll also have it online much earlier by not doing so. At 6th.

He goes Fighter at 1st [HP, heavy armor, weapons, second wind, fighting style, con saves], then Warlock for 5 [temp HP on a kill, Hex, decent ranged attack with EB, GFB, spells, invocations, pact, mirror image, fireball] taking thirsting blade at 6th, then Fighter for 2 more [action surge, sup dice], then Warlock all the way for the rest.

And I think 3 EK/warlock would be cool

Same, but in practice its not. Adding shield to your spells known is the only reason for it. It adds like 2 spells per day [long rest] to the bast Warlock chassis. Assuming 2-3 short rests per AD (and youre going to be hunting for short rests more than anyone) BM is generating 12-16 superiority dice per AD.

On a short rest you recover:

1) Sup dice x 4
2) Second wind x 1
3) Action surge x 1
4) Spell slots x 1-4
5) Heal

You're basically fully recharged on a short rest, ready to kick ass.

The build is based around GWM, so adding tripping and/or precise strike is totally worth it [and I love ripose for porcipine damage, particularly with HAM and resistance to damage as a fiend lock and a constantly replenishing temp HP]

Lollerabe
2016-09-24, 02:17 AM
Not to mention the great synergy that is AoA and HAM even more so when you hit lock 3, against low damage mooks you can just waltz in and watch em kill em selfs.

HAM is good no doubt, but PAM as a Vhuman feat is also super tempting.

Malifice
2016-09-24, 03:30 AM
Not to mention the great synergy that is AoA and HAM even more so when you hit lock 3, against low damage mooks you can just waltz in and watch em kill em selfs.

HAM is good no doubt, but PAM as a Vhuman feat is also super tempting.

I find im using the bonus action many rounds to lay on Hex (or shift targets), Cleave with GWM, or second wind.

You're pretty full with bonus actions as is for that off hand attack.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-24, 04:40 AM
HAM is great (take it at 1st and the GWM at Fighter 1/ Warlock 4).

At 1st level it lets you assign a 14 to Str (you get 1 from the feat and 1 from human) for a few extra stat points to spare, and the DR 3 really meshes well with the Fiend locks ability to milk temp HP every round.

And also Your DC for concentration is 10 or 1/2 damage which you can reduce via the feat.

Talionis
2016-09-24, 07:55 AM
HAM is awesome for a Warlock. It stays surprisingly good later as many enemies still make lots of weaker attacks. Armor of Agathys is very cool and i think it's part of a Bladelocks damage balance. Every ounce of DR and resistance keeps it up longer.

There are a lot of great feats and unlimited levels a Fighter you can't take them all. I'll suggest Sentinel it makes you tanky.

Klorox
2016-09-24, 10:52 AM
I'll probably cap around level 10.

Switching GWF to HAM seems like the move to make, as does switching GWF fighting style to Defense.

I have access to two invocations. I'm definitely taking Improved Darkvision, and my second one is a toss up between Repelling Blast and the one that gives me deception and persuasion.

I could become a skill monkey by switching my background and original skills and taking that invocation.

Edit: I'm kinda digging the one that gives me detect magic too. My character is selfish and it could work.

bid
2016-09-24, 12:02 PM

With a Cha of 20 you're milking 22 HP per kill.

Your damage spike from [action surge] + [extra attack] + [hex] + [lifedrinker] + [gwm] + [sup dice] is impressive.

Bonus action [second wind] + [HAM DR 3] + [resistance to one of B/P/S] + [fiend lock milking temp HP all day long] + [porcipine damage] + [heavy armor] + [defence style] makes you very tanky.
I'm curious about feats.

HAM: from vuman
GWM: 1 feat
Cha20: 2 ASI
Str18: 1 ASI

Is that about right?

Klorox
2016-09-27, 01:18 PM
So, I'm looking at 10 levels max. Help me map this guy out.

VHuman fighter 1/warlock 9

Level 1: HAM or GWF? Defense or GWF style?

Level 2: GFB, BB or both?

Level 5: GWF, HAM, STR +2 or CHA +2?

Level 9: GWF, HAM, STR +2 or CHA +2?

Any spell suggestions? I'm not opposed to occasionally dropping Darkness and kicking ass, but I'd rather it be done on a rare occasion than let it be he norm and steal the spotlight from my teammates.
Thanks y'all.

Tauguy628
2016-09-27, 10:54 PM
For spells, I like Invisibility and suggestion because they are so useful when used right. Obviously, hex is a must. If you don't have a healer, I would pick up vampiric touch for when those monsters break past our temp HP. Fly, fear, and fireball could also be useful.

Malifice
2016-09-28, 01:55 AM
I'm curious about feats.

Is that about right?

Str stays at 16 and you take Warcaster (advantage on con saves and GFB or a spell as an opp attack).

Magic items are in my game, so Belts of giant strength are a thing. Found, bought, begged or whatever.

So, I'm looking at 10 levels max. Help me map this guy out.

VHuman fighter 1/warlock 9

Level 1: HAM or GWF? Defense or GWF style?

Level 2: GFB, BB or both?

Level 5: GWF, HAM, STR +2 or CHA +2?

Level 9: GWF, HAM, STR +2 or CHA +2?

Any spell suggestions? I'm not opposed to occasionally dropping Darkness and kicking ass, but I'd rather it be done on a rare occasion than let it be he norm and steal the spotlight from my teammates.
Thanks y'all.

Fighter (BM) 3/ Lock 7 is the way I'd go.

Klorox
2016-09-28, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys!

Malifice: I don't think I'll be as lucky as you with magic items (I'm currently playing through Storm King's Thunder), but I really like the Warcaster/BB or GFB combo. I hadn't thought of that one.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-29, 11:40 AM
I'm curious about feats.

Is that about right?

have you considered war caster to help with concentration, opportunity attacks and for sword and board?

Klorox
2016-10-01, 06:51 AM
Bump up the volume