PDA

View Full Version : Balance tweak: trading Warlock Mystic Arcanum for short-rest 6th spell

Citan
2016-09-24, 06:24 AM
Hi all!
I've been trying to tweak a class for a player, who wants a sort of gish that likes to blast away but doesn't care about high level spells.

Specifically, he would like to cast several 6th spells per day while having good martial abilities.
I first thought about just telling him to take a Favored Soul Sorcerer, because you can upcast spells, but he prefered the Warlock because of the short-rest slots.
Basically, he wants to (up)cast some offensive spells, including Fireball.

So, as a class tweak, I thought about replacing the Mystic Arcanum steps by the following:
11th: 1 6th level spell known + 1 long-rest 6th spell slot.
13th: another 6th level spell slot (2 per long-rest).
15th: 6th level spells become 1/short rest
17th: become 2/short rest, and he doesn't get the fourth usual 5th level short rest.

Meaning that at end of career, he could cast 6*6th level spells in the case the short rest guidelines are respected.

In counterpart, he can choose only 1 6th level spell and nothing above, and only get 3*5th level short rest.

So, old Warlock end of career can cast, per long rest (2 short rest):
(4*3)x5th, 1x6th, 1x7th, 1x8th, 1x9th level spells.
Tweaked Warlock could cast:
(3*3)x5th and (2*3)x6th level spells.

What do you think? Balanced, too powerful? Maybe keep the 6th level 1/short rest instead at 17th and not change anything else?