PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character for Special Event, Need suggestions

Mongobear
2016-09-24, 01:16 PM
So, for Halloween this year, my group is doing a special one-off adventure with characters made specifically for the day.

All we know, is that the event will be similar to The Hunger Games, although I believe it is going to be closer to a Gauntlet type arena battle and whoever survives/makes it the furthest wins. I don't know for sure whether PC vs PC will happen, but the Hunger Games comparison does make me want to believe it wont be ignored or impossible to take place.

I want to make a character that can pretty much go into something like this 100% oblivious to the challenges about to be faced, but still have the greatest chance of survival/winning. My initial ideas are something along the lines of Bear Totem Barbarian 5/Champion Fighter 3, or Vengeance Paladin 5/Champion Fighter 3, but I am the guy who usually plays strictly martial beat sticks and getting fancy with spell casters is a bit outside of my comfort zone.

If anyone has any advice or build ideas, the rules are Level 8, Standard Point Buy, No Unearthed Arcana/Homebrew but anything from online supplements or SCAG is fair game.

Specter
2016-09-24, 01:33 PM
From my experience on tournaments, you can't rely on rests or being prepared at all. You might kill a dude and face another right away. Focus on builds that don't waste resources. My advice: Human Swashbuckler 5/Champion 3.

ST8, DX18, CO14, IN10, WI12, CH14
Feat: Lucky
ASI: +DEX
Expertise: Stealth, Acrobatics

EvilAnagram
2016-09-24, 01:45 PM
Gnome Vengeance Paladin 6 / Fighter 2

15, 10, 13+1, 8+2, 10, 15

ASI, +1 to Str and Cha

You'll have at least +3 to every save, plus advantage on mental magical effects. That will insulate you from a lot of the major threats from other players, and your damage will be solid. Fighter features provide the Defensive fighting style, Action Surge, and Second Wind.

Other option is full Rogue Assassin focusing on hiding most of the time.

Mongobear
2016-09-24, 01:53 PM
Other option is full Rogue Assassin focusing on hiding most of the time.

I did think of something along these lines at first, but it is so out of character for me that I wouldnt really know whether it was an opportune moment to strike or not.

Also, that kind of works for me doing this as well, since I tend to be the gigantic dude tanking hits as a Barbarian/Fighter, showing up as a Halfling that disappears for 90% of the night and stalks the group, then shows up out of nowhere at the end and murders the survivors does sound quite hilarious...

Temperjoke
2016-09-24, 01:54 PM
I'd go with GOO Bladelock. Spells recover on a short rest, weapon is considered magical, and spells that are good for controlling. You get Eldritch Invocations like Thirsting blade that gives you a second attack, Fiendish Vigor which lets you cast False Life w/o slots or components at will, or example.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-24, 02:29 PM
I did think of something along these lines at first, but it is so out of character for me that I wouldnt really know whether it was an opportune moment to strike or not.

Also, that kind of works for me doing this as well, since I tend to be the gigantic dude tanking hits as a Barbarian/Fighter, showing up as a Halfling that disappears for 90% of the night and stalks the group, then shows up out of nowhere at the end and murders the survivors does sound quite hilarious...

If you did that, I'd actually go Wood Elf, since you can hide with only light obscurement.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-24, 03:52 PM
Straight up eldritch knight with booming blade, mobile feat, and tough, start hill dwarf. Your ac is going to so so sweet high hp. Two attacks plus a extra d8. Then if they chase after you 2d8 boom. I'll go with dex so those dex save you can pass but str is all ways fun. Oh and this is a SnB build.

Mongobear
2016-09-30, 04:54 PM
This is where I am at with this idea as of right now.

I am arguing with myself over a Paladin/Sorc multiclass build, and cant decide upon which amount of levels to split between each side, or which archetype to take.

My two main builds are as follows:

Build 1 focuses mainly on making my Smites count, as well as getting a little shennanigansy with stuff like free Resistances, 1/rest Advantage on anything (Tides of Chaos), and the Ability to convert Low spell slots into high spell slots, or High spell slots into Low spell slots.

Dragonborn (Gold)
Devotion Paladin 6/Wild Magic Sorcerer 2

Str 17(18 +1 ASI)
Dex 8
Con 15(16 +1 ASI)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 16

Background - Sailor (Athletics, Perception)
Skills - Persuasion, Intimidation

Dueling Fighting Style
Oath of Devotion
Wild Magic
Tides of Chaos

Build 2 focuses much more on being a traditional "Blaster" spellcaster, but also has the All-In potential of a Gish that can throw down with some powerful Smites and Greenflame Blade if enemies get into his face. Metamagic Quicken makes up for the lack of Extra Attack, and combined with GFB/BB allows for one hell of a Nova if I need to. (Action GFB + Smite, Bonus Action GFB + Smite gaining both Dex and Cha to the damage, on top of bonus dice)

Half-Elf
Dragon Sorcerer 6/Paladin 2

Str 8
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

Background - Noble (History, Persuasion) Bonus Language: Infernal
Feats - War Caster
Skills: Perception(racial), Insight(racial), Arcana, Religion
Languages: Common, Elven, Infernal(bg), Celestial(racial)

Draconic Ancestry - Gold Dragon (Fire)
Fighting Style - Dueling
Elemental Affinity(Fire)
Metamagic - Quicken Spell

Cantrips - Greenflame Blade, Firebolt, Sword Burst, Lightning Lure, Booming Blade

Spells Known
1st Level - Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, Feather Fall
2nd Level - Scorching Ray, Hold Person
3rd Level - Fireball, Dispel Magic

Any thoughts/opinions on either of these builds? I like certain aspects of both of them, but cant choose a single one to actually play over the other.

Also, we have found out some more info about the one-shot adventure, whoever "survives" the Hunger Games gauntlet is apparently going to become important in the next years coming campaign/adventure plot-line. We don't know what this actually means, whether we get to play them if the live, or if they become super important NPCs or something.

MrStabby
2016-09-30, 08:01 PM
I would go shadowmonk.

With your speed and shadowstep you never get caught in any encounter - flight is always a great option. You are short rest dependant, so you should be able to flee to wherever you need. You can cast a number of utility spells like pass without trace and silence to get past people.

At higher levels you could mix in other classes - rogue would give you more skills and possibly a touch more damage. Arcana cleric can net you booming blade - run in booming blade and shadowstep out can be brutal and is a solid backup where short rests are hard to come by.

Pick up some javalins - as monk weapons they can use your dex and monk weapon hit die. Given you are well equipped for hit and run attacks you dont have to worry about the drawing weapon limitations so much.