PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana: Revised Ranger, NEW ANIMAL COMPANIONS

DracoKnight
2016-09-24, 02:09 PM
I'm not looking for help balancing the companions already made here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1WTKLJr6), but for suggestions for MORE companions! Using the guidelines presented in the UA document, I've been creating new statblocks for the Beast Master to use. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks in advance for your help! :smallsmile:

TundraBuccaneer
2016-09-24, 03:33 PM
I really like the unique features you gave the animals. And BIRDS! finally a pet that doesn't need help in melee but one that works fine with a archer. Also now I want to make a character who is more dyslectic than I that believes it has a commando dragon a all-terrain-animal-companion.
Although I'm worried that the cougar will overshadow the panther since it has every thing the panther has + more. Also why does the falcon do more damage then the harpy eagle that is so much bigger?

DracoKnight
2016-09-24, 03:54 PM
I really like the unique features you gave the animals. And BIRDS! finally a pet that doesn't need help in melee but one that works fine with a archer.
Yes! I love birds too, and this was part of the reason I made them - though the harpy eagle also makes a nice halfling/gnome mount.

Also now I want to make a character who is more dyslectic than I that believes it has a commando dragon a all-terrain-animal-companion.

Komodo dragons would be fun! ^_^ That's part of the goal, is to make dynamic animals that are fun to play with.

Although I'm worried that the cougar will overshadow the panther since it has every thing the panther has + more.

Hmmmmmmm...fair point. I'll probably modify the panther to give it a couple other features...such as Jungle or Forest Camoflage.

Also why does the falcon do more damage then the harpy eagle that is so much bigger?

Because I screwed up. It's not supposed too, lol. Fixing it now.

EDIT: They now do the same amount of damage, which is mainly due to the fact that Falcons build up an extreme amount of momentum when they dive, while the eagles rely on their own brute strength.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-24, 04:03 PM
Okay, these are f*cking awesome. I don't know what animals I want to see next, but you should definitely keep making beasts! :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-09-24, 11:40 PM
Okay, these are f*cking awesome. I don't know what animals I want to see next, but you should definitely keep making beasts! :smallbiggrin:

I'm glad you appreciate them!

Trum4n1208
2016-09-24, 11:56 PM
Maybe a Bobcat as a possibility? I always enjoyed the mental image of a Ranger and his big 'ol feral looking Bobcat.

As for other animals, I'm just gonna write them as I think of them here, so please bear with me. Would it make sense to do breeds of hunting dogs such as a Scottish Deer Hound, or should one just re-fluff those? Some kind of Stag or Elk could be fun for an Elven Ranger (going off of Elven fantasy stereotypes). Giant River Otter, for a game with lots of water, maybe? Bison maybe, but they might be/probably are too big. What about desert dwelling creatures? Fennec Fox? And jumping off from that, Foxes in general? Maybe not as Combat oriented, but great for role-playing.

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 12:08 AM
Maybe a Bobcat as a possibility? I always enjoyed the mental image of a Ranger and his big 'ol feral looking Bobcat.

As for other animals, I'm just gonna write them as I think of them here, so please bear with me. Would it make sense to do breeds of hunting dogs such as a Scottish Deer Hound, or should one just re-fluff those? Some kind of Stag or Elk could be fun for an Elven Ranger (going off of Elven fantasy stereotypes). Giant River Otter, for a game with lots of water, maybe? Bison maybe, but they might be/probably are too big. What about desert dwelling creatures? Fennec Fox? And jumping off from that, Foxes in general? Maybe not as Combat oriented, but great for role-playing.

Those all sound fun! I'll get to work! They should be up in the next couple of hours :smallsmile:

Trum4n1208
2016-09-25, 12:28 AM
Those all sound fun! I'll get to work! They should be up in the next couple of hours :smallsmile:

Thank you kindly! Though on reflection, I don't think Fennec Foxes grow large enough to be much of a combat threat. My wife says Ocelot. Coyote could be an option, possibly. Might be too big, but a saber toothed cat could be fun for a mountainous/tundra Ranger. What are those big mean birds that live on the ground, Cassowarys? Those would be interesting.

P.S. great work so far. If I'm being a bit much it's only because I'm a big fan of the work you're already doing!

Regitnui
2016-09-25, 12:42 AM
Hate to be the Grammar Nazi, but it's camouflage, by the MM and dictionary.

Otherwise, a crocodilian (caiman?) would do nicely for lizardfolk/jungle campaigns. A honey badger or ratel would make a fantastic companion with some variant on the Undead Fortitude and Magic Resistance traits (if any real animal can shrug off petrifying effects, it's a honey badger). A caracal might make a good 'small panther' with the added gimmick it can jump as high as a man is tall to pluck birds mid-flight (expertise in Acrobatics, Standing Leap trait). The Mozambican spitting cobra could be a great ranged companion, with a 10ft Spit attack that could to negligible poison damage but forces a Dex save against blindness; archer rangers could enjoy the little guy's assistance.

I'll keep thinking. Africa's got a lot of interesting animals.

djreynolds
2016-09-25, 12:46 AM
These are very cool, and I like them.

Some ideas you might like

I would like to see a trip attack by the cheetah instead, if you watch natural history stuff, cheetahs love trip up gazelle.
Also I would place their speed at 40ft, but give them the ability to dash as a bonus action instead of the charge and
but after so many a day the get levels of exhaustion and if they hit while dashing their is trip DC save

And the cougar, interestingly enough, they have a huge, huge terrain range... from literally Canada to like Argentina to Arizona... they can live anywhere, so I think instead stealth checks bonus how about advantage on all survival checks

I love the Komodo dragon, very cool indeed. No changes, but add in a tail swipe

I like the birds, but there must be a trade off between flying speed and flyby.... if you can flyby then your normal speed per turn should be less.... and if you cannot flyby your flying speed is higher but you could get a swooping or dive bomb attack

I really like that you added the cheetah because people really trained these cats in real life to hunt.

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 12:47 AM
Thank you kindly! Though on reflection, I don't think Fennec Foxes grow large enough to be much of a combat threat. My wife says Ocelot. Coyote could be an option, possibly. Might be too big, but a saber toothed cat could be fun for a mountainous/tundra Ranger. What are those big mean birds that live on the ground, Cassowarys? Those would be interesting.

I'll take a look at those too! :smallsmile:

P.S. great work so far. If I'm being a bit much it's only because I'm a big fan of the work you're already doing!

No worries. I've suddenly got a lot of free time on my hands. I'm happy to take all this stuff on! It's why I started this project :smallsmile:

Hate to be the Grammar Nazi, but it's camouflage, by the MM and dictionary.

I KNEW it didn't look right. Thank you, Regitnui :smallsmile:

Otherwise, a crocodilian (caiman?) would do nicely for lizardfolk/jungle campaigns. A honey badger or ratel would make a fantastic companion with some variant on the Undead Fortitude and Magic Resistance traits (if any real animal can shrug off petrifying effects, it's a honey badger). A caracal might make a good 'small panther' with the added gimmick it can jump as high as a man is tall to pluck birds mid-flight (expertise in Acrobatics, Standing Leap trait). The Mozambican spitting cobra could be a great ranged companion, with a 10ft Spit attack that could to negligible poison damage but forces a Dex save against blindness; archer rangers could enjoy the little guy's assistance.

All excellent suggestions! I will add these to my list! :smallsmile:

I'll keep thinking. Africa's got a lot of interesting animals.

That it most certainly does :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 12:52 AM
These are very cool, and I like them.

Some ideas you might like

I would like to see a trip attack by the cheetah instead, if you watch natural history stuff, cheetahs love trip up gazelle.
Also I would place their speed at 40ft, but give them the ability to dash as a bonus action instead of the charge and
but after so many a day the get levels of exhaustion and if they hit while dashing their is trip DC save

I will take these suggestions under consideration. :smallsmile:

And the cougar, interestingly enough, they have a huge, huge terrain range... from literally Canada to like Argentina to Arizona... they can live anywhere,

I know! They're so freaking cool!!

so I think instead stealth checks bonus how about advantage on all survival checks

Might be a possibility.

I love the Komodo dragon, very cool indeed. No changes, but add in a tail swipe

Will add in tail swipe.

I like the birds, but there must be a trade off between flying speed and flyby.... if you can flyby then your normal speed per turn should be less.... and if you cannot flyby your flying speed is higher but you could get a swooping or dive bomb attack

I really like that you added the cheetah because people really trained these cats in real life to hunt.

I think the higher fly speed is fine with flyby. Flyby doesn't affect CR (it literally says it doesn't) and even with the higher speeds, I don't think it's a huge issue. For me it was an attempt at verisimilitude - have you ever tried hitting a bird that's divebombing your face like a kamikaze pilot?

EDIT: Bobcat, Caiman, and Terror Bird added. I'll get the rest done tomorrow. :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-25, 02:10 AM
...and Terror Bird added.......

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who know about these guys! THEY'RE SO AWESOME!!! :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2016-09-25, 03:05 AM
If you think Africa's got interesting animals, look at Australia :D
A kangaroo would be fun. Think about a halfling riding one in the bellypouch, shooting with maybe a crossbow, or stabbing with a spear :D

Kangaroo would need to rely more on strenght rather than dexterity, because they kick so hard that it can kill a human, iirc.

Regitnui
2016-09-25, 05:05 AM

Everything in Australia does poison damage, including the grass.

A kangaroo would be fun. Think about a halfling riding one in the bellypouch, shooting with maybe a crossbow, or stabbing with a spear :D

Now I've got that mental image in my head. Thanks.

A spitting cobra's actually does acid damage; it's cyto- and neurotoxic, dissolving flesh and affecting the nervous system. And 10 feet is almost precisely as far as they can spit in real life (2m).

A caracal can leap 4-5m (13-16ft) into the air. Isn't there a feature for getting advantage on attacking Large foes?

A few more suggestions:

Baboon; Trained by the Ancient Egyptians and still fairly scary beasts. I don't know what it'd have in the stat block.

Kingfishers are just Tiny birds, but might have a pretty effective diving attack. Think of them like weaker Piercers for the open air.

Hyenas may also be a useful companion for DMs; a gnoll ranger may have one or two following.

Duikers are small antelopes, and might be a Smaller alternative to deer for a halfling or gnome. Though the gnome would probably prefer the ratel (honey badger). They are extremely difficult to spot, however, and virtually harmless.

And that's all the animals I could think of that could add to the beasts already in the MM.

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 07:57 AM
Excellent! I'll get cracking on those, and get them added to the beasts!!!

Requiemforlust
2016-09-25, 08:29 AM
I thoroughly encourage you to remember that dinosaurs are beasts! And that we got too few of them in the Monster Manual. Hell, we didn't even get a velociraptor in the Monster Manual, but they hit a bunch of the other classics. :smallfrown:

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 08:35 AM
I thoroughly encourage you to remember that dinosaurs are beasts! And that we got too few of them in the Monster Manual. Hell, we didn't even get a velociraptor in the Monster Manual, but they hit a bunch of the other classics. :smallfrown:

I will keep that in mind! :smallwink:

Requiemforlust
2016-09-25, 01:07 PM
I will keep that in mind! :smallwink:

Excellent!!

TundraBuccaneer
2016-09-25, 02:31 PM
If you're going to add dromaeosaur like velociraptor do note that they would use their talons like big cats use their fangs (?canine teeth?). Its meant to pierce the throat so the prey would suffocate by lack of blood flowing to the brain or by destroying the windpipe. Not by disembowelling their prey. They were precision hunters not reckless idiots.

Also if we're adding dinosaurs what about protoceratops it could ram or use its beak to crush bones and it has a famous fossil where its locked in combat with the velociraptor which is awesome.

Hudsonian
2016-09-25, 02:52 PM
Is the terror bird related to the Ostrich?

They should have the (based off of misconception ) head in the sand trait.

The ostrich may choose to hide it's head in the sand for a turn without moving or taking bonus actions to automatically succeed on checks against fear.

Rideable

TundraBuccaneer
2016-09-25, 03:23 PM
Terror birds were thought to be related to cranes but I'm pretty sure they are now their own thing, also they where separated for a long time like Australian animals, South America had a unique array of species unlike any where in the world before it joint with North America.

But most importantly they are TERROR birds not EASILY-STARTLED-BIRD XD.

DracoKnight
2016-09-25, 04:49 PM
Is the terror bird related to the Ostrich?

They should have the (based off of misconception ) head in the sand trait.

The ostrich may choose to hide it's head in the sand for a turn without moving or taking bonus actions to automatically succeed on checks against fear.

Rideable

This is a terror bird.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdlh8iKwxY1r38ji3o1_1280.jpg

Nod_Hero
2016-09-25, 11:29 PM

Kangaroo would need to rely more on strength rather than dexterity, because they kick so hard that it can kill a human, iirc.

Now I've got that mental image in my head. Thanks.

Great me too. Not going to be happy until someone with artistic ability comes up with the kangaroo cavalry image.

Spore
2016-09-26, 12:21 AM
Uuuuh, Dinosaurs? You don't need to make mini T-Rexes (to keep in line with other options) but Eberron Halflings need something to ride on.

Velociraptor (Pack function similar to wolves), Deinonychus (quicker, less Str), some herbivore as beast of burden (Trample attack) and maybe something bulkier as a slow attack unit (Triceratops?).

Regitnui
2016-09-26, 01:39 AM
The Talents halflings tamed velociraptors and pteradons (clawfoot and glidewing) as mounts, while they herded triceratops (threehorn) as stock. I always thought of them as cowboy nomads (threehorn-halflings?) excet dinosaurs and never settling.

Malifice
2016-09-26, 01:47 AM
Is there any reason why you cant just re-fluff the ones presented?

KoyukiTei13
2016-09-26, 02:28 AM

Because making more stat blocks with specific traits and abilities is more fun?

Anyways, I'm always up for more variety in companion creatures. That was one thing WoW got right with their Hunters; 3 different specs (2 damage, 1 tank) & almost every beast in the game was tameable. Only exotic beasts like chimeras and fire turtles got special abilities, though. I'm glad D&D is a little more special than that. :D

I'd love to see a creature like a small chimera. :D

Would unicorns or qirin be able to be companions or are unicorns celestial for some reason?

Gwendol
2016-09-26, 07:27 AM
This is a terror bird.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdlh8iKwxY1r38ji3o1_1280.jpg

Well, you have the Axe Beak in the MM appendix A. Should more or less do the trick.

Regitnui
2016-09-26, 11:34 AM

Isn't that essentially what he's doing? Also, there's nothing quite like the spitting cobra in the MM. Though I like the idea of adding that Spit to other ophidian monsters like the Naga and Coatl.

ATHATH
2016-09-26, 11:46 AM
Nitpicks: The terror bird's brute ability has a grammatical error in it, and its talons attack should do 2d8+3 damage. The cougar is missing its passive perception score. There may be other errors that I didn't catch with a cursory examination, but those were the ones I found.

Why would someone ever chose a bobcat over a cougar for any reason other than the bobcat's proficiency in athletics and extra point of DEX (which doesn't even increase its DEX bonus)?

Trum4n1208
2016-09-26, 11:52 AM
Why would someone ever chose a bobcat over a cougar for any reason other than the bobcat's proficiency in athletics and extra point of DEX (which doesn't even increase its DEX bonus)?

Pretty much for flavor. At least that's hat I was thinking for most of the animals I recommended.

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 12:12 PM
Well, you have the Axe Beak in the MM appendix A. Should more or less do the trick.

The axe beak isn't a valid choice because it's Large. But other than that, you are correct.

Isn't that essentially what he's doing? Also, there's nothing quite like the spitting cobra in the MM. Though I like the idea of adding that Spit to other ophidian monsters like the Naga and Coatl.

The only one I've come close to pulling directly from the MM was the Honey Badger. Everything else is original :smallsmile:

I thought about putting the spit on them too!

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-26, 12:24 PM
There any constrictor snakes that would work? The idea of a Python leveling with the Ranger makes me picture it becoming like an Anaconda when at high levels and the image is amusing. Especially when picturing the Great Snake Rider Halflings of Legend. :D

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 12:25 PM
There any constrictor snakes that would work? The idea of a Python leveling with the Ranger makes me picture it becoming like an Anaconda when at high levels and the image is amusing. Especially when picturing the Great Snake Rider Halflings of Legend. :D

I can...make a constrictor that will work :smallbiggrin:

Idkwhatmyscreen
2016-09-26, 12:55 PM
Giant Owls and Bats would be my choice. Maybe give the owls some sort of advantage on stealth checks while flying to as they are rather silent when stalking prey. For the bat maybe you give it a blood sucking attack

TentacleSurpris
2016-09-26, 01:03 PM
I suggest making a Flying Fox (aka huge friggin bat). It's a flying pet that could reasonably do some damage. Those things are freaky.

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 01:08 PM
Giant Owls and Bats would be my choice. Maybe give the owls some sort of advantage on stealth checks while flying to as they are rather silent when stalking prey. For the bat maybe you give it a blood sucking attack

Giant Owls and Giant Bats are already in the MM, and they meet all of the requirements except for size (They're large) and hit points (the owl has 19, and the bat has 22). Both are CR 1/4 and deal no more than 8 damage on a single hit; that falls into the territory of "ask your DM." I could make a ranger friendly version, but having them be medium defeats the point of having a GIANT Owl, or a GIANT bat.

I suggest making a Flying Fox (aka huge friggin bat). It's a flying pet that could reasonably do some damage. Those things are freaky.

I'll add it to my list.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2016-09-26, 01:58 PM
I knew I should have checked the MM First

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 02:01 PM
I knew I should have checked the MM First

You're totally right, though, they should be ranger companions - and if any player came to me asking for one, I would totally allow it. It would be so cool to have an elvish ranger ride in on a giant owl, or a tiefling on a giant bat! :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2016-09-26, 02:26 PM
Your link is blocked right now but I'll just suggest some large flying insects - not large enough to ride (no gnome pterodactyl riders redux), but a not-so-nice ranger with a pet mosquito the size of a raven riding on his shoulder sounds amusing. Or the simple fly, blown up to eagle size. Or a praying mantis - limited duration of flight, but proficiency in Athletics checks to grapple. A 3' tall praying mantis following me through the street ought to keep pesky beggars at a distance :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2016-09-26, 02:35 PM
Your link is blocked right now but I'll just suggest some large flying insects - not large enough to ride (no gnome pterodactyl riders redux), but a not-so-nice ranger with a pet mosquito the size of a raven riding on his shoulder sounds amusing. Or the simple fly, blown up to eagle size. Or a praying mantis - limited duration of flight, but proficiency in Athletics checks to grapple. A 3' tall praying mantis following me through the street ought to keep pesky beggars at a distance :smallbiggrin:

That would also fit nice and sound into my post-apocalyptic campaign coughFallout rip-off, bloatflies etc.cough :smallbiggrin:

Regitnui
2016-09-26, 02:41 PM
The only one I've come close to pulling directly from the MM was the Honey Badger. Everything else is original :smallsmile:

I thought about putting the spit on them too!

What creature did you lift the Honey Badger from? Also, it needs some kind of 'not quite dead' ability, like the zombie's Undead Fortitude. When you've got a creature that can break into beehives and intimidate lions, it has to have a way of bouncing back. Delay it by a turn; "if this creature is reduced to 0 hit points, it is restored to 1 hit point at the end of its next turn. This ability only functions once per long rest."

Could you imagine a coatl coming down, bathed in light, then spitting a glob of acid that dissolves a sarcastic CN PC's head? I can, and it is hilarious.

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 03:36 PM
What creature did you lift the Honey Badger from? Also, it needs some kind of 'not quite dead' ability, like the zombie's Undead Fortitude. When you've got a creature that can break into beehives and intimidate lions, it has to have a way of bouncing back. Delay it by a turn; "if this creature is reduced to 0 hit points, it is restored to 1 hit point at the end of its next turn. This ability only functions once per long rest."

I pulled mainly from the Giant Badger. And, yeah, I guess something like Undead Fortitude would be appropriate :smallsmile:

Could you imagine a coatl coming down, bathed in light, then spitting a glob of acid that dissolves a sarcastic CN PC's head? I can, and it is hilarious.

T'would be a thing of immeasurable beauty! :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2016-09-26, 05:19 PM

I can also imagine giving a celestial creature a version of Vicious Mockery that actually causes heads to explode; 30d4 + Charisma modifier damage, and your head explodes if that reduces you to zero HP. :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 07:27 PM
I can also imagine giving a celestial creature a version of Vicious Mockery that actually causes heads to explode; 30d4 + Charisma modifier damage, and your head explodes if that reduces you to zero HP. :smallsmile:

There have been PCs I wanted to do that to... >_>

Oramac
2016-09-26, 09:35 PM
I desperately want a blink dog as a pet, but I know the teleport might be op.

Other than that, I'd love to see more amphibious pets.

Or maybe a small dragonkin? Something wroth a draconic type but not all the crazy resistances and such.

DracoKnight
2016-09-27, 11:34 AM
I desperately want a blink dog as a pet, but I know the teleport might be op.

Other than that, I'd love to see more amphibious pets.

Or maybe a small dragonkin? Something wroth a draconic type but not all the crazy resistances and such.

I could try some kind of draconic creature.

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-27, 12:11 PM
Is there a skunk in the MM? AFB at work right now.
If there is not, that's my suggestion. I think skunks are great little buddies.

Naanomi
2016-09-27, 06:58 PM
My favorite 'by the book' pet is the giant crab, an updated version would be nice (giant hermit crab?)

Along the same lines, a wasp/hornet (rideability optional) and medium sized scorpion would be nice.

Also, a rideable lizard with climb speed for svirfneblin to go spelunking with

DracoKnight
2016-09-27, 07:47 PM
Is there a skunk in the MM? AFB at work right now.
If there is not, that's my suggestion. I think skunks are great little buddies.

My favorite 'by the book' pet is the giant crab, an updated version would be nice (giant hermit crab?)

Along the same lines, a wasp/hornet (rideability optional) and medium sized scorpion would be nice.

Also, a rideable lizard with climb speed for svirfneblin to go spelunking with

Added to the list!

EDIT: To the the DMs out there, how likely would you be to allow the companions I've put forth so far??

Requiemforlust
2016-09-27, 08:18 PM
To the the DMs out there, how likely would you be to allow the companions I've put forth so far??

I'm allowing them already. My player who is currently playing the Revised Ranger is really enjoying the harpy eagle.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-27, 08:20 PM
Added to the list!

EDIT: To the the DMs out there, how likely would you be to allow the companions I've put forth so far??

My brother is currently playing a ranger with a caiman companion.

Regitnui
2016-09-27, 11:49 PM
Added to the list!

Don't have a ranger in my group, but I'd take them.

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-28, 12:01 AM
Added to the list!

Already doing so. :)

DracoKnight
2016-09-28, 12:33 AM
Don't have a ranger in my group, but I'd take them.

If you ever do have someone play a ranger, I would love to hear how they perform :smallsmile:

Already doing so. :)

Really? Which one? :smallsmile: How is it in actual play???

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-28, 10:56 AM
Spitting Cobra.

My player lost his venomous (I'm sorry, I mean poisonous. Ugh) snake in a fight recently, and we adopted the revised ranger packet for the game along with your post (same day as our game!) he resurrected his snake, and I allowed it to come back as the spitting cobra, as little Fido was always trying to be a big boy snake.

Story time aside, the creature did well, didn't overwhelm combat. I played the snake as I thought was appropriate, but every once in a while, the ranger really wanted control, and used his action to direct to excellent effect.

I didn't track damage dealt, but it may have been a tiny bit better than expected due to many failed saves on the part of the hobgobs.

I've already decided that the trolls in the area are reasonable frightened of the breed, and perhaps carry its venom as weapons against each other.

:)

Regitnui
2016-09-28, 11:11 AM
Spitting Cobra.

My player lost his venomous (I'm sorry, I mean poisonous. Ugh) snake in a fight recently, and we adopted the revised ranger packet for the game along with your post (same day as our game!) he resurrected his snake, and I allowed it to come back as the spitting cobra, as little Fido was always trying to be a big boy snake.

Story time aside, the creature did well, didn't overwhelm combat. I played the snake as I thought was appropriate, but every once in a while, the ranger really wanted control, and used his action to direct to excellent effect.

I didn't track damage dealt, but it may have been a tiny bit better than expected due to many failed saves on the part of the hobgobs.

I've already decided that the trolls in the area are reasonable frightened of the breed, and perhaps carry its venom as weapons against each other.

I like this, especially since it was my suggestion. :)

DracoKnight
2016-09-28, 11:23 AM
Spitting Cobra.

I'm glad to hear it worked well! I'd be interested to hear about how it continues to perform.

I like this, especially since it was my suggestion. :)

It was a pretty good idea, Regitnui! :smallsmile:

Regitnui
2016-09-28, 12:23 PM
Building on how the trolls are afraid of and use this particular breed, I can imagine these breeds growing to giant size in troll-infested areas. The trolls with the Loathsome Limbs trait may leave abandoned arms, feet or heads, which these snakes attack and eat. Larger snakes might be able to take on larger troll parts, with giant cobras preying on entire trolls.

"Giant Spitting Cobra" may make a cool monster.

DracoKnight
2016-09-28, 12:39 PM
Building on how the trolls are afraid of and use this particular breed, I can imagine these breeds growing to giant size in troll-infested areas. The trolls with the Loathsome Limbs trait may leave abandoned arms, feet or heads, which these snakes attack and eat. Larger snakes might be able to take on larger troll parts, with giant cobras preying on entire trolls.

Holy sh!t, I want this!!!

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-29, 12:14 AM

I'm stealing this for my upcoming campaign that was going to revolve around giantfolk! (I've been plotting this for longer than SKT has been a thing) Low level enemies are gonna be Ogres and Trolls, so maybe the party can animal friendship some of the spitting cobras :smallbiggrin:

Regitnui
2016-09-29, 04:18 AM
I'm stealing this for my upcoming campaign that was going to revolve around giantfolk! (I've been plotting this for longer than SKT has been a thing) Low level enemies are gonna be Ogres and Trolls, so maybe the party can animal friendship some of the spitting cobras :smallbiggrin:

I am officially a World Idea Master!:smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-09-29, 11:09 AM
I am officially a World Idea Master!:smallbiggrin:

Well, you've got some pretty great ideas! :smallbiggrin:

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-29, 11:28 AM
Honeybadger was totally epic!
I want to someday play in a campaign where flying sword would be allowed but it violates the rule that it has to be a beast. If you open up that restriction you could do things like a goblin or magical plant, skeleton, mimic or ghost.
Dilophosaurus like from Jurassic park. While you are at it, raptor with pack tactics and Maneuvering Attack.
Giant porcupine.
Ostritch, not sure if that has been done somewhere but they could get a glide like the eagle totem barbarian does.
Albatross
Skunk with stinking cloud (not sure who would take that but humorous none the less).
Is ram/goat out there?
Scorpion
hippogriff

DracoKnight
2016-09-29, 10:45 PM
Honeybadger was totally epic!

You used the honey badger?

I want to someday play in a campaign where flying sword would be allowed but it violates the rule that it has to be a beast. If you open up that restriction you could do things like a goblin or magical plant, skeleton, mimic or ghost.
Dilophosaurus like from Jurassic park. While you are at it, raptor with pack tactics and Maneuvering Attack.
Giant porcupine.
Ostritch, not sure if that has been done somewhere but they could get a glide like the eagle totem barbarian does.
Albatross
Skunk with stinking cloud (not sure who would take that but humorous none the less).
Is ram/goat out there?
Scorpion
hippogriff

I will consider adding these ^_^

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-30, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=DracoKnight;21255541]You used the honey badger?

Not yet but remember the viral youtube video and when I saw this thought it was an awesome idea. Good stuff now that beastmaster is viable we need more of these. I will let you know if I get to playtest it.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-30, 09:03 AM
Medium sized snapping turtle that can swim, bite, and can withdraw into his shell. For the withdraw I would consider disadvantage and resistance to certain weapon/damage types.

DracoKnight
2016-10-01, 10:17 AM
Medium sized snapping turtle that can swim, bite, and can withdraw into his shell. For the withdraw I would consider disadvantage and resistance to certain weapon/damage types.

Alrighty. Sounds fun :smallsmile:

Oramac
2016-10-01, 11:52 AM
Alrighty. Sounds fun :smallsmile:

While we're on the aquatic pets, what about a regular crocodile? I'm afb right now so I don't know if it's in the MM already.

DracoKnight
2016-10-01, 12:01 PM
While we're on the aquatic pets, what about a regular crocodile? I'm afb right now so I don't know if it's in the MM already.

It's in the MM, it's a Large CR 1/2 beast with 19 HP. It works on all of their qualifiers for an Animal companion except for the size and HP. But, personally as a DM, I feel it's perfectly okay to handwave the size limitation, and the ape has 19 HP too.

Oramac
2016-10-01, 01:35 PM
It's in the MM, it's a Large CR 1/2 beast with 19 HP. It works on all of their qualifiers for an Animal companion except for the size and HP. But, personally as a DM, I feel it's perfectly okay to handwave the size limitation, and the ape has 19 HP too.

Sounds like a Steve Irwin character is ready to go then!

DracoKnight
2016-10-01, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a Steve Irwin character is ready to go then!

Totally! ^_^

Artagon
2016-10-01, 03:39 PM
I like that you are providing more options here!

I know you weren't looking for feedback on what you already have here, but you need to fix the base speed on falcon to be 60, in line with the other birds. Instead, give them Dash as a bonus action while diving. This gives them the same combat speed, but it doesn't mean they can do those kinds of speeds over long distance. The Peregrine can cap at 240 mph during a dive.. but over horizontal distances they average at around 50 mph.

Yes, it's a nit-pick, but I think it's an important nit-pick if you are using your companion for sending messages or scouting.

DracoKnight
2016-10-01, 04:54 PM
I like that you are providing more options here!

I know you weren't looking for feedback on what you already have here, but you need to fix the base speed on falcon to be 60, in line with the other birds. Instead, give them Dash as a bonus action while diving. This gives them the same combat speed, but it doesn't mean they can do those kinds of speeds over long distance. The Peregrine can cap at 240 mph during a dive.. but over horizontal distances they average at around 50 mph.

Yes, it's a nit-pick, but I think it's an important nit-pick if you are using your companion for sending messages or scouting.

Hmmmm, fair point.

MrStabby
2016-10-02, 08:19 PM
Swarms can be beast also?

I think more swarms could help add some additional styles to beastmaster rangers - directing a swarm of rats, bats or spiders or similar would be quite fun.

Maybe jellyfish for aquatic campaigns? Although I have the idea of a beastmaster with a penguin sidekick stuck in my head...

A medium sized woodlouse could be good if you wanted tough, high AC options? A porcupine could be similarly defensive by doing damage to attackers.

djreynolds
2016-10-03, 12:42 AM
This is great stuff. So thank you. very cool and inspired.

DracoKnight
2016-10-03, 01:17 AM
This is great stuff. So thank you. very cool and inspired.

Thanks! I'm happy to provide these! If you have any more suggestions, feel free to share them and I'll add them to the list of things I'm turning into a statblock :smallsmile:

Oramac
2016-10-03, 12:44 PM
A porcupine could be similarly defensive by doing damage to attackers.

This is a fantastic idea!

EDIT: Thinking about it, I keep getting images of the Porcupine bad guy in Kung Fu Panda 3 that shoots his own quills with a bow. It's probably ludicrous in a D&D world, but some sort of ranged quill attack would be awesome too.

Finback
2016-10-04, 03:11 AM
If you're going to add dromaeosaur like velociraptor do note that they would use their talons like big cats use their fangs (?canine teeth?). Its meant to pierce the throat so the prey would suffocate by lack of blood flowing to the brain or by destroying the windpipe. Not by disembowelling their prey. They were precision hunters not reckless idiots.

A lot of what I've recently read suggests the sickle claws were used more for either pinning prey down for teeth-ripping, or for larger prey, allowing for a better grip when biting. The claws were compared with those of animals that do a lot of piercing, and found to be rather divergent, especially in terms of the overall curvature. /palaeonerd

But yes, Dinosaurs = YES companions.

Finback
2016-10-04, 03:15 AM
Terror birds were thought to be related to cranes but I'm pretty sure they are now their own thing,

They are in their own groups (several families) along with the still living seriemas. They're in the out group to the one that comprises falcons, parrots and all passerine/perching birds.

Finback
2016-10-04, 03:19 AM
Great me too. Not going to be happy until someone with artistic ability comes up with the kangaroo cavalry image.

I give you the old Palladium sourcebook, "Mutants Down Under".

https://66.media.tumblr.com/b2edb6dc72c5fe47ea915dd9c8ed9af0/tumblr_n2c7xpjSWI1r9ak6uo1_500.png

Finback
2016-10-04, 03:23 AM
Building on how the trolls are afraid of and use this particular breed, I can imagine these breeds growing to giant size in troll-infested areas. The trolls with the Loathsome Limbs trait may leave abandoned arms, feet or heads, which these snakes attack and eat.

Trolls shed limbs in response to predation by more dangerous creatures, like a lizard's tail?

*head canon accepted*

Finback
2016-10-04, 04:31 AM
Some prehistoric ideas that come to mind:

a gorgonopsian - similar to wolf, really, in terms of overall body/attack, would just need some sweet tweak (venomous? a tenacious grip that can hinder a foe's movement?)
Archaeopteryx - because it's basically a Velociraven.
Beezelbufo - basketball sized frog - swallow small foes?
giant echidna Zaglossus
one of the smaller moa species, because then they could still be medium AND serve as a mount, with a mean kick attack
Myotragus - the weirdest goat

Modern animals

hyena is a must have, as I have wanted to run this with a prototype gnoll ranger I had in mind
Tasmanian devil
thylacine
seagull - don't laugh, this could work well for a ranger from a coastal region
fossa - it's a cougar sized mongoose.
tapir - do not underestimate them. One once tore the arm of a zookeeper (not a legend, I can cite links)

Artagon
2016-10-05, 10:36 PM
I finally got around to reworking the falcon around what I mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll be honest, I thought long and hard about whether they should even have Flyby. The animals you have presented are all a bit ability heavy over what is in the MM. In the end I decided that yes, they are fast and they could fight that way, but if they are dive-bombing from the sun they are not going to be raking their enemy, they are bearing them to the ground if they can. This would prevent them from escaping via flyby that round.

Also, you'll notice I changed their hit die to 3d6 instead of 5d4. This is because they add 1 hit dice at each additional ranger level and a d4 with no stat modifier would be crippling. 3d6 means they have the same number of hit dice as their ranger, for easier book-keeping.

Peregrine Falcon
Tiny beast, unaligned
• Skills Perception +4
• Senses passive Perception 14
• Languages
• Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Dive. If the Falcon uses their action to Dash and it drops at least 30 ft in a straight line they may make an attack as a bonus action. If this attack hits it deals an additional 7 (3d4) piercing damage but the falcon does not benefit from Flyby for the rest of this turn.
Flyby. The falcon doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Keen Sight. The falcon has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Actions
Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Arkhios
2016-10-05, 11:11 PM
Beelzebufo - basketball sized frog - swallow small foes?
Just how small do you think small creatures are?
A basketball is roughly one foot in diameter.
Small creatures are around three feet tall in one direction.
Beelzebufo could swallow tiny foes at most.

seagull
as long as you call him Stew, you'll be taken seriously :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-10-06, 01:01 AM
you'll notice I changed their hit die to 3d6 instead of 5d4.

Other than the fact that the falcon I presented is balanced as a CR 1/4 monster, there is one issue I take with the statblock you presented. Tiny creatures have d4 Hit Dice. That's just how monsters work. Small has d6.

MrStabby
2016-10-06, 08:13 AM
as long as you call him Stew, you'll be taken seriously :smallbiggrin:

Not Steven? Steven Seagull would be a badass.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-10-06, 10:51 AM
How about a baby phoenix that does a little fire damage, and if it dies in combat it cinders into an egg that you have to wait until it hatches again?

Beleriphon
2016-10-06, 11:18 AM

Or maybe an echolocation ability.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 11:42 AM
Not Steven? Steven Seagull would be a badass.

"Seagull Stew" would be funny though, if you catch my drift. :smallbiggrin:

Mjolnirbear
2016-10-06, 01:54 PM
I'm not looking for help balancing the companions already made here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1WTKLJr6), but for suggestions for MORE companions! Using the guidelines presented in the UA document, I've been creating new statblocks for the Beast Master to use. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks in advance for your help! :smallsmile:

After a quick glance, simply comparing honey badger and komodo dragon... they don't seem balanced. Komodo does more damage, has more armor, has keen senses AND pack tactics. Is magic resistance worth all of that?

tieren
2016-10-06, 02:59 PM
I think as a revised ranger reference tool for beast companions it would be helpful to indicate what special abilities and attacks key off of which statistics so that as the statistics rise during leveling (ASI's) the effect can uniformly be determined.

For example bite in the MM seems to stem off of Dex for wolves and panthers but off of Str for Lions and tigers.

Does boosting Dex change the beast's AC? What if they have natural armor?

Waffle_Iron
2016-10-11, 10:04 AM
Have you had a opportunity to work on this at all?
Our group is looking forward to some of the options in development. :)

DracoKnight
2016-10-11, 10:33 AM
Have you had a opportunity to work on this at all?
Our group is looking forward to some of the options in development. :)

I've been working on everything in a separate file, when I finish banging out all the numbers I'll add them here :smallsmile:

Waffle_Iron
2016-10-11, 12:40 PM
I've been working on everything in a separate file, when I finish banging out all the numbers I'll add them here :smallsmile:

Sweet! We're looking forward to it!

DracoKnight
2016-10-11, 01:17 PM
Sweet! We're looking forward to it!

Giant Otter added :smallbiggrin:

Trum4n1208
2016-10-11, 04:37 PM
I like the Otter, it looks good! The shell breaker ability is very good, reminds me of Amazon River Otters taking on caimans and eating them. Great stuff! Only issue is that it's called a caiman in the hold breath ability.

DracoKnight
2016-10-11, 04:52 PM
I like the Otter, it looks good! The shell breaker ability is very good, reminds me of Amazon River Otters taking on caimans and eating them. Great stuff! Only issue is that it's called a caiman in the hold breath ability.

Oops! My bad for copy-pasting!

Arkhios
2016-10-11, 11:32 PM

Kangaroo would need to rely more on strenght rather than dexterity, because they kick so hard that it can kill a human, iirc.

Where's the kangaroo? :C

DracoKnight
2016-10-11, 11:59 PM
Where's the kangaroo? :C

It's on my list :) I'm still working on it. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten ^_^