PDA

View Full Version : Hero Forge vs. LotR scale?

thedanster7000
2016-09-24, 04:54 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Hero Forge (https://www.heroforge.com/) mini printed (it's very cool, I recommend checking it out), but can't figure out whether the scale is the same as my LotR minis. Hero Forge minis are 30mm, but different sources say either 28 or 30 for LotR, so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me so I know whether to scale down the HF mini.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but I couldn't think of where else to post; I'll move it if there's a better place.

snowblizz
2016-09-24, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Hero Forge (https://www.heroforge.com/) mini printed (it's very cool, I recommend checking it out), but can't figure out whether the scale is the same as my LotR minis. Hero Forge minis are 30mm, but different sources say either 28 or 30 for LotR, so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me so I know whether to scale down the HF mini.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but I couldn't think of where else to post; I'll move it if there's a better place.

If you mean Games Workshop LotR minis they are 25mm (non-heroic). 28-30mm would be more standard Warhammer (I guess Age of Sigmar now) size, officiall 28mms cale, leaning towards heroic (means heads and weapons tend to be oversized compared to strict scale, more minis are).
Compare GW LotR and Warhammer minis and you'll see the diff.

thedanster7000
2016-09-24, 05:56 PM
If you mean Games Workshop LotR minis they are 25mm (non-heroic). 28-30mm would be more standard Warhammer (I guess Age of Sigmar now) size, officiall 28mms cale, leaning towards heroic (means heads and weapons tend to be oversized compared to strict scale, more minis are).
Compare GW LotR and Warhammer minis and you'll see the diff.
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't know what official scale they are because of contrasting sources and I measured some and came up with about 30mm, so I was very confused.

If anyone knows whereabouts to put the slider, that would be helpful, although the default is 30 and the lowest 24, so I can probably count the number of steps along the slider to get it about right.

snowblizz
2016-09-24, 07:08 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't know what official scale they are because of contrasting sources and I measured some and came up with about 30mm, so I was very confused.

If anyone knows whereabouts to put the slider, that would be helpful, although the default is 30 and the lowest 24, so I can probably count the number of steps along the slider to get it about right.

GW scales are measured from foot of model to eyes, on a upright man (not counting the base, the is the traditional way, some manufacturers do top of head). This is the 25mm, pose and stuff can vary it though.

I was looking a bit on that and could only find the 30mm scale lsited. Note that scale isn't just height of the miniature. The 3mm diff from 25 to 28mm sounds like nothing but it really is marked in hands heads and weapons.

thedanster7000
2016-09-25, 04:53 AM
GW scales are measured from foot of model to eyes, on a upright man (not counting the base, the is the traditional way, some manufacturers do top of head). This is the 25mm, pose and stuff can vary it though.

I was looking a bit on that and could only find the 30mm scale lsited. Note that scale isn't just height of the miniature. The 3mm diff from 25 to 28mm sounds like nothing but it really is marked in hands heads and weapons.
Yeah, I collect Warhammer which is why I wanted to make sure it would be to-scale with LotR, but the head/weapons won't scale as well, so it looks like I'll just have to get it Warhammer-scale.