PDA

View Full Version : What would you make with these stats?

mgshamster
2016-09-24, 05:39 PM
So I rolled randomly for a game and came up with:

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

I was originally thinking a dex based eldritch Knight could work well. Maybe a halfling or Aarakocra. But I'm curious as to what other decent options there may be. Doesn't have to be perfectly optimized.

Thoughts?

Specter
2016-09-24, 05:42 PM
This is a case where standard human helps: so many odd stats that would be even.

I'd go either EK, or AT. Fire Genasi Abjurer helps to make up for that mediocre CON.

DracoKnight
2016-09-24, 05:43 PM

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

I was originally thinking a dex based eldritch Knight could work well. Maybe a halfling or Aarakocra. But I'm curious as to what other decent options there may be. Doesn't have to be perfectly optimized.

Thoughts?
Air Genasi Eldritch Knight (Dex-based), or Arcane Trickster Bladesinger wouldn't be a bad option if you go Half-Elf, or if your DM handwaves the elvish requirement. You can also multiclass into pretty much anything except a STR based class.

JellyPooga
2016-09-24, 06:37 PM

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

Thoughts?

I'd probably just go Forest Gnome Wizard (probably Diviner). 17 Int and 14 Dex is all you really need for a 1st rate Wizard. More Con would be nice, but even a Dwarf only gets 12 Con, so this was never going to be a tank. With Dex only at base 13 and no Str worth considering, playing any kind of weapon-reliant class is a dubious prospect at best. This pretty much leaves us with Wizard or Support Cleric. With the higher base Int, Wizard makes sense.

Rounding off Int to 18 with Observant is a solid move at 4th level. Then, depending on your preferred style you can take +1 Wis/+1 Cha (for neatness' sake) or a Feat like Spell Sniper or Elemental Adept.

Play the God-Wizard and control the lives of those around you!

Addaran
2016-09-24, 07:04 PM
Variant human seems nice with those 5 odd stats. Could work well with Arcane Trickster. One of the few class that needs int, okay-ish dex. Wis and cha won't be wasted since they have pretty important skills for a rogue.

If you want to be a dex EK, i'd suggest high elf. 16 int is big and you won't have to boost it until much later (if ever). You'll start at 15 dex, so like a race without bonus. Not great but not too horrible. At level 4, you can take resilience dex to round it up and finaly have one good save. (str and con will be average with just the prof. ) As a bonus, you start with a cantrip, so you're already in your Eldritch Knight phase. =D

The other best bet is a pure wizard. Int is your best stat and it's at the max for point-buy. Gnome, variant human, fire genasi or tiefling for 16 int at the start.

mgshamster
2016-09-24, 08:04 PM
Great suggestion guys.

Going into this game, I originally wanted to play a melee champion, but I didn't get the stats for the character I envisioned.

So an EK or AT could work very well. I kind of don't want a wizard, because I played them a lot in Pathfinder (mostly because everyone else wanted something else and I was ok with the arcane roll). But I also haven't played one in 5e yet, so maybe.

Keep 'em coming if you got 'em!

JellyPooga
2016-09-24, 10:09 PM
I personally don't think you have the physical stats to justify an EK or AT. Neither really gets much opportunity to use that high Int, leaving them with a rather lacklustre offensive capability.

Tomelock might suit better, as it both gets to use Charisma on attacks (Shillelagh plus Invocation) and has a plentiful supply of temp HP to compensate for that low Con.

Have you considered Moon Druid? It's a little cheesy and has a bit of a rollercoaster power-curve, but it would mean you could largely ignore your physical stats and still mix it up in melee. You also have the option of taking a step back and playing The Caster when it's needed.

Specter
2016-09-24, 10:23 PM
So an EK or AT could work very well. I kind of don't want a wizard, because I played them a lot in Pathfinder (mostly because everyone else wanted something else and I was ok with the arcane roll). But I also haven't played one in 5e yet, so maybe.

With EK all I can suggest either standard human or Fire Genasi; you won't get hit too much, so it's an option.

AT would require at least a ranged, build, but being careful. That's all I can say.

Malifice
2016-09-24, 10:29 PM

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

Thoughts?

Those stats are screaming out Non-Vuman to me. 5 odd stats to place those +1's.

10 str
14 dex
11 con
16 int
14 wis
14 cha

Wizard all the way. You dont need feats as a Wizard, so the +1's across the board will really help.

Id probs go an Abjurer to get that HP ward up (your HP will be on the low side).

Temperjoke
2016-09-24, 10:48 PM
You could go with a Fire Genasi Abjuration Wizard, that gives a +2 Con and a +1 Int.

If UA is allowed, going with a High Elf Immortal Mystic wouldn't be bad, and would take advantage of strong Int and Dex.

Kane0
2016-09-24, 11:30 PM
I'd go regular human EK. More ASIs to pump into stats or useful feats (Tough would be good with that 11 con) and you can make use of pretty much any equipment you come across. Spam the Shield/Absorb Elements spells to keep yourself alive and stay behind the Barbarian or Pally if you have one. Later on the excellent Polearm master feat would be great, or drop into a few Warlock and rogue levels to take advantage of the 7th level cantrip + attack combo with Eldritch Blasts + Sneak Attack bowshots (assuming your party needs more ranged firepower than melee meat). An EK with decent Dex makes for a solid switch-hitter.

TheProfessor85
2016-09-24, 11:48 PM
Arcane trickster gets my vote, put those mental modificators to use with all those skills you get.

djreynolds
2016-09-25, 09:39 AM
Plain old human bard of lore. Great utility, Jack of trades likes it.

Could go ranger also? Archery style will carry you. Very knowledgeable woodsman.

Let others do the heavy lifting, it may be fun to let others shine and be supportive.

Lore bard/ranger pure support with a bow you can shoot or strum.

Corran
2016-09-25, 09:57 AM
A normal human wizard enchanter with resilient con? With one level of cleric perhaps?

2D8HP
2016-09-25, 10:51 AM
A lesser man may have let the need to "know the rules well" before voicing an opinion stop him, but Ma & Pa didn't raise no quiter!
So......
Rolen d'Crits, High-Elf Rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=956561)!

Wood Elf former Tribal Nomad,
Though he'd "lived", if you could call it "living" for years, growing soft in this city of men, Rolen remembered the forest.

Rolen loved the forest.

The sound of the wind, the river, the birds.
And foot steps.
He loved his family as well, but he always felt the call of the forest, where he could live without speaking, and be still.
And listen.
And wait.
For his prey.
He told himself he hunted to feed his family and neighbors, but deep inside he knew that wasn't true.
He needed the sounds of the woods, as well as the quiet.
And to watch
And to listen.

He heard the woods burning.

He had lived through forest-fires before, but this was different. There had been no lighting. And he heard screaming. Elf screams!
In an instant from so still he would appear to be part of the woods, he became quick as a deer running from a couger, and he ran towards home.
Towards his family.
Towards everyone he knew.
He saw the burned bodies.
And something else.

A scale.

A Dragons scale

Rolen knew then that he would leave the woods.

He had a new prey.
A wizard may have been more "optimal", but long spell lists give me a headache, plus Expertise in Perception and Stealth is Awesome!
I made the PC a high elf with the Firebolt Cantrip because what better use of intelligence is there than setting stuff on fire?
:biggrin:
Your welcome.

beargryllz
2016-09-25, 10:52 AM
I lean toward wizard or EK with those stats. Human or Elf would be ideal

Foxhound438
2016-09-25, 07:40 PM
Standard human wizard, with a lot of mental skills. 11 con at the start makes Resilient: con an obvious choice, and the low HP to start makes Abjurer probably the best subclass for you.

If you do want to stick to eldritch knight, I would highly recommend staying a long distance from things. +0 con makes you pretty fragile.

mgshamster
2016-09-25, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys!

I ended up making the Aarakocra EK. After stat mods, he's got 15 dex, 15 int, and a solid 14 wis for mental protection. With flight, he'll be good at the ranged combat while keeping away from others.

RickAllison
2016-09-25, 10:27 PM

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

Thoughts?

Without reading other posters' ideas, I would go for a Knowledge Cleric of Mystra 2/Abjurer X Svirnefblin who seeks to learn more about magic while learning to stop and eliminate those who would abuse Mystra's gifts. Dex bump gives us just the right amount of Dex for medium armor, Svirnefblin Magic gives us the ability to endlessly recharge his Arcane Ward to make up for a lower Con (boost it once Int is to 20), and he tears through mental saves. Very counter-magic and rather dangerous. All while looking adorable.

Capitalizes on his strengths while covering for his weaknesses.

Citan
2016-09-26, 02:18 PM

9 str
13 dex
10 con
15 int
13 wis
13 cha

Thoughts?
Hey, interesting roll. XD
I'm gonna suggest a rather special build (or maybe several), but I think it could work well.
The basis is Moon Druid. If you had a chance to go up to lvl 20 I'd say stay Moon Druid.

But with such a high Intelligence... ;)

I'd say grab Wizard 5 (Bladesinger or Diviner) to grab a load of useful concentration spells, preferably once you hit at least Druid 6. As a normal human to get several even stats.
A bit of a wonky build because it forces you to first be a Druid, then be a Wizard then re-Druid, but you can be a pretty valuable asset to the party thanks to Wizard's large list of spells and rituals that complement nicely the Druid specifics. Also, you can caste a concentration spell then Wild Shape, helping you keep it up by taking a form with high Constitution.
Not sure if Bladesinger bonus would be allowed (IIRC it would by RAW because as a beast you are not wielding a weapon nor armor, but need exterior opinion on this) but if so it's even better.

It's NOT an optimized build though, because you are a 2/3 caster and you never get CR6 beasts and unlimited Wild Shaping.

Otherwise...

High Elf Bladesinger with...
- a 1 level dip in Monk if you want to melee to get several benefits: decent Unarmored if for any reason you don't want to cast Mage Armor, DEX on quarterstaff and bonus action (measly damage but still good until either you get a way to up your damage, so makes Polearm Master less attractive)
- and, if you really want to up your damage early, one level in Warlock to get Hex.
The kind of unusual MAD build that still actually works, and would pretty well if not for that 10 in Constitution.
You get decent AC thanks to Mage Armor + Bladesinging.
You are terribly squishy though, so it's a build that will brings lots of fun... If you survive past the character level 5 or so.

Finally...
Half-Elf, Paladin / Abjurer. Put extra +1 in DEX and INT
Start Paladin up to 6, using Bless to help with your lower to-hit with weapon attacks (+2). With your first ASI, bump your CHA by at least 1 to get a +3 modifier on your Aura. The next ASI will be on Warcaster. The third on either your INT for all the spells (preferably), CHA for better saves overall (second choice) or DEX for attacks.
The main benefit of Paladin here is survivability, but if you get some help from friends or use Wizard spells such as Hold*, you could get some melee attacks allowing you some nova damage.
This should be the easiest to survive because of Paladin's hit points and proficiencies (while I wouldn't recommend it because of speed loss you could even don heavy armor at the start): in fact, you could just wield a shield and make go with Shocking Grasp and the like once you get these, unsheating your weapon only when you view an opportunity to smite hard.

You also get Abjurer's ability that will help you soak up, along with Shield spell.

You end as a 2/3 spellcaster, but as you level you should be able to improve your to-hit, so at the end you are a good tank with a crapload of spells to adapt to any situations (in addition to rituals).

AAARGH forgot the 13 requirement in STR. I'm ashamed. Too bad though, it would have been as good as original... If only STR and DEX were swapped^^