PDA

View Full Version : Careers in D&D

StarStuff
2016-09-24, 06:03 PM
1) What sort of careers feel like D&D? If the only thing I'm certain I won't get tired of is D&D, what kind of job would I like?

2) Please relate your answer to the following topics: char-op strategy, dungeon master'ing, and verbal creativity.

3) Is there a broader and inclusive audience of D&D enthusiasts?

As far as I can tell, giantitp, Reddit, and Enworld are the largest D&D forums. Facebook and Twitter seem to have a large following as well. If there's a better place for this question, please let me know.

Addaran
2016-09-24, 06:49 PM
Feels like playing DnD or about DnD?

Careers about DnD would be working for wizards (like crawford) or some kind of youtube celebrity that stream his game, makes various video about DND stuff (angry-GM in video?).

Feels like playing DnD? Possibly actor for movies/theater. From the story building perspective, authors, screenwriter for movies or video games. Char-op strategy, probably some kind of pro-gamer in a game where strategy is very important.

Most of these jobs are kinda rare (landing for wizards specifically) or requires a mix of talent and luck to break through. Not as stable and "easy" to start as a normal 8h-4h job.

Goodluck finding something you like. =)

BigONotation
2016-09-24, 08:02 PM
Wizards is a notoriously bad place to work, FYI.

Kane0
2016-09-24, 08:34 PM
There also the Middle Finger of Vecna on Patreon, you could concievably work with those guys.

BW022
2016-09-24, 09:32 PM
Depends on what you think D&D is like or what aspects you'd be happy with 9-5 for the rest of your life. However...

1. Performing artist. Actor, playwright, script editor, set director, costume designer, etc.

2. Authors. Write fantasy books.

3. Artists. Draw fantasy art.

4. Author, editor, copy-editor, publisher, etc. Write modules for WotC, Paizo, Frog God, Paradigm Concepts, etc.

5. Marketing, event coordinator, promoter, etc. Work for any of the large conventions.

6. Media. Game reviewer/reporter, cover events, host a YouTube channel doing review/play throughs,

7. Game designer. Develop table-top games, RPGs, rules testers, etc.

8. Video games. Programming, art design, level layouts, rules/mechanics, marketing, etc. Many games are fantasy-based.

9. Programming related. Work for Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or make your own product -- character sheet generator.

10. Paid DM. Look at Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. Likely minimum wage, but might work for off-hours or an alternate income source.

etc.

Lots of possibilities depending on how close/far from playing D&D you think you are. However, in reality... jobs are jobs and most of these are high-talent, lower-pay, and often insanely difficult to get into jobs, which aren't that related playing D&D.

I enjoy writing modules for D&D for myself. It is less fun in a corporate environment and you'd never get hired to do it baring an English degree, years of copy-editing experience, and shear luck that you find a job actually doing that. Nor is that that fun, when you are doing it all day, having it copy-edited over and over, having your work rejected over and over, etc. for months for relatively minor things. It isn't "playing D&D" is it professional writing.

Personally... go find a career or job which you are good at. Earn a decent or good salary... and then play D&D in your free time. You only typically work 9-5, five days a week. You can play D&D every night of the week and every week-end if you wish.

Specter
2016-09-24, 09:33 PM
In my campaign, my Bard is following the path of the Charming: Seeing as I'm a social god, the DM thought he would up the ante by creating a society of persuasive people who hated me because I tricked one of their own.

Any skill brings a career with it.

Kane0
2016-09-24, 11:37 PM
If you can somehow manage a 5e D&D video game (Sword coast Legends doesn't count) then you can count on fistfuls of money being thrown at you.
I for one would immediately toss money at an NWN remake using the 5e ruleset. I wonder if one can still acquire use of the Aurora/Odyssey/Eclipse engine or the rights for that matter. Does Hasbro or Cryptic currently hold the rights?