PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What's A Fun Character Build?

PapaQuackers
2016-09-24, 07:49 PM
So next week I actually get to be a player for the very first time in D&D 5th Edition. I've run it before and have actually made an entire homebrew class to great effect, so I hear as I haven't actually played it myself, but I'm not really sure what kind of build I myself want to play.

There's so much choice that I'm just overwhelmed and I would love to hear your insights.

I'm open to multiclassing and I like classes where there's at least a modicum of thought into your actions, I tend to stay away from barbarians and vanilla fighters, but if you feel they're significantly different than they used to be I'm all ears.

Quintessence
2016-09-24, 07:51 PM
So next week I actually get to be a player for the very first time in D&D 5th Edition. I've run it before and have actually made an entire homebrew class to great effect, so I hear as I haven't actually played it myself, but I'm not really sure what kind of build I myself want to play.

There's so much choice that I'm just overwhelmed and I would love to hear your insights.

I'm open to multiclassing and I like classes where there's at least a modicum of thought into your actions, I tend to stay away from barbarians and vanilla fighters, but if you feel they're significantly different than they used to be I'm all ears.

The classic Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 or Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14, are both amazingly fun and have a lot they can do in any given turn :)

PapaQuackers
2016-09-24, 07:54 PM
You'll have to run me through exactly when I would take which levels and how it plays it. Like give me a pro/con list.

dejarnjc
2016-09-24, 08:13 PM

If you like to have lots of different options then I'd probably recommend wizard or druid the most. I'd wager they're the two most versatile classes in terms of play options. Bard gives em a run for their money too.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-24, 08:20 PM
2nd the Druid, Rogues are always fun. I am biased though. Next time I get to play I'm gonna try out Inquisitive from the Gothic UA or Paladin/Swashbuckler.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-09-24, 08:24 PM
I'm partial to Warlocks myself. The downside is that they don't get many spell slots; you'll have to use spells sparingly. But aside from that they've got a lot going for them that makes them fun to play, IMHO.

Depending on your choice of Pact you'll have some extra features right out of the box. You can also choose a Pact Boon for extra Cantrips, a powerful familiar, or a magic weapon. And there are some Invocations which grant "at will" abilities unique to the class. It's hard to beat a Disguise Self that's always available.

ZX6Rob
2016-09-24, 09:06 PM
Champion Fighter 20, greatsword, no feats, split all ASIs between Str and Con. You'll have a blast!

Gastronomie
2016-09-24, 09:10 PM
You'll have to run me through exactly when I would take which levels and how it plays it. Like give me a pro/con list.Look, just say "please", will you? That's not how you ask people for help.

Paladin/Sorcs need War Caster as soon as possible. Go Paladin 4 > Sorcerer 6 > Paladin 5, 6 > Sorcerer 7 to 14, or more simply, Paladin 6> Sorcerer 14.

PapaQuackers
2016-09-24, 09:40 PM
Didn't mean it like that. My bad.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-09-24, 10:54 PM
Champion Fighter 20, greatsword, no feats, split all ASIs between Str and Con. You'll have a blast!

If you're in a combat-heavy campaign, yes absolutely! In a game with less combat and more exploration or role-playing, maybe not so much.

And if you're not sure what type of campaign it's going to be, versatility might be the way to go.

Gastronomie
2016-09-24, 11:02 PM
@Papa: Eh, if you understand there's no problem. BTW, if you're interested about Paladin/Sorc, I have a guide under construction. Can't send the link at the moment, but once I'm free, if you want it, I'll give it to you.
If you're in a combat-heavy campaign, yes absolutely! In a game with less combat and more exploration or role-playing, maybe not so much.

And if you're not sure what type of campaign it's going to be, versatility might be the way to go.Paladin/Sorcs make a wonderful addition to any party. They do require the campaign to be mid-to-high level to work as good as it should, though.

2D8HP
2016-09-24, 11:14 PM

And if you're not sure what type of campaign it's going to be, versatility might be the way to go.I've played nothing but (Champion) Fighter's and mostly spell-less Rogues (I did have one High Elf with the Firebolt Cantrip once), with Outlander or Urchin, and it's been a blast!
Keeping track of lists of spells gives me a headache!
If your in a heavy role-playing campaign full of intrigue and social dynamics, when the DM asks: "What do you do"?You answer: "Like it even needs to be said, I stab 'em in the eye"!Repeat until 20th level.

Or.....

The new UA Revised Ranger (http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf) looks AWESOME!

CaptAl
2016-09-24, 11:34 PM

My two favorite builds a thus far in 5th edition has been a Swashbuckling Bladesinger, and a Lore Bard.

At Wiz 5/Rogue 3 I was the party's main scout (expertise in stealth and perception), utility caster, secondary tank, and a really nice skirmisher with the mobile feat and booming blade. Combat was a blast, well, until that umber hulk critted my frail ass. Shield doesn't stop a natural 20. RIP Falinor Half-Elven.

My current character just hit level 4 and I'm going straight Lore Bard. Expertise in deception and insight along with a charlatan background makes me the ultimate social manipulator. In combat I play as a debuffer (bane/fairy fire/cutting words) and occasionally sling a heal to keep our Cleric going strong. When the BBEG finds himself with 3 melee characters nearby it feels awesome to sling a Dissonant Whispers out. I'll use cutting words to ensure it lands and I count all the AoO damage as mine too.

imaginary
2016-09-25, 01:20 AM
I ask myself the same question when I go to build a new character. Optimal builds are not what jump to mind.

The most fun I've imagined is a halfling divination wizard with Portent and the Lucky feat. The possibility are endless for how you can effect play with the dice.

I personally imagined a gambler who plays for greater risks than just cards.

Wizards to boot have lots of fun spell options. Through in a level or two of fighter for armor, or rogue for mobility and skills, or warlock for Mask of Many Faces, or bard for more roll bending abilities, and you can let your imagination go wild.

So I ask you this question: what is fun for you?

Sabeta
2016-09-25, 01:51 AM
I'm currently playing a GWM V.Human Fighter. He was once a Mercenary Leader who was betrayed by some kingdom and is now the sole survivor. His current hobbies include doing just about anything for money, not caring about his own well-being, and fighting things that would be suicidally dangerous. I honestly don't like this character. He's boring, and when I try to do cool things (like Suplexing Orcs, smashing heads into walls, flying tackles off of a roof) I'm usually criticised for not using the sword instead

I play him as suicidally as possible. Always biting off more than he can chew and not worrying about the consequences of those actions. Unfortunately my DM loves Magic Items. I've got +1 Plate Armor, +1 Vicious Greatsword (So I can crit on 19), Ring of Protection, Boots of Haste, and a Bag of Holding. For some reason neither the sword nor armor are using an Attunement slot, so I've got 20 AC and pretty much can't die at level 6.

Oh, and I'm the FACE of the party. It's really hard to get things done as a face with -1 Charisma, but for some reason the Sorcerer doesn't feel up to it.

So call me a little bit biased when I say this, but I would recommend the Social God. Rogue 1/Bard 19, and simply play a character whose entire existence is AVOIDING fights. If I were to play one, I would go out of my way to learn as many languages as possible, and actively attempt to talk my way out of any situation. Perhaps throw in some bribes when needed, and if all else fails make use of the Bard's great spell list to emulate the Wizard God. In other words, I would attempt to play a campaign where I never directly contributed a single point of damage. I really, really hope notGutts dies soon...

Imagine walking into a cultists camp, and basically just talking everyone out of being evil. Supplement with Illusions and Suggestions where necessary.

Socratov
2016-09-25, 02:27 AM
Well, what is a fun build? Well, that kind of gives me a problem. You see, fun is defined diefferently between persons. What I might think fun, you might think rubbish and if I have learned anything form my current 3+ characters built and played, it all starts with a concept.

A good concept (if it is somewhat buildable in 5e) cna make the game heaps of fun en especially this edition lot sof fun stuff can be done without too much effort (I am reminded of the halfling chef bard concept on the main page this week or the Goliath bearbarian with tavern brawler wielding a halfling, wielding a weapon). Though in more serious games an edgelord rogue can really spice the game up.

I know I have had tremendous fun with a WM sorcerer who dresses in pink, tries to con everyone out of bar drinks and has slight pyromanic tendencies. I briefly had fun with my GOO bladelock who was styled after Abdul Al Haz'red (a.k.a. 'The Mad Arab'). I also had fun with my gnome druid who went bearform to solve every problem and had a spy network in 2 chipmunks (aptly named chip and munk) while trudging through LMoP with some other oafs. I even made a barbarian who mistook himself for a wizard, just because I could for a one session bit of fun. And then I had some fun with a half-elven bard (bastard child of elven noble but ran away) who likes to hunt and pepper his childhood friend with Vicious Mockery because that's the kind of relationship they have (oh, great fun was had).

But in all these cases I started with a concept I thought cool, and then built it in 5e. I may have allowed myself to sway a bit in favour of a certain mechanic or class aspect, but ultimately it's the concept that makes the build really fun.

And I advise you to do the same. come up with a cool concept, make it and if you need help, by all means we will try to help you realise your dreams.

Asmotherion
2016-09-25, 04:18 AM
You'll have to run me through exactly when I would take which levels and how it plays it. Like give me a pro/con list.

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 2-3/Sorcerer X is the best blaster since lower levels, and keeps being good at it at higher levels.

Sorcerous Origin: I'd say Dragon, since you'll get 13+dex AC, witch is better than light armor. I would say fire dragon for Scorching Ray, but the Errata nerfed it, so it doesn't really matter.
Pact: Either Fiend for a nice eternally replenishing pool of temp hp or Old One for the ability to speak telepathically to everything within 30 feet, with no language barrier. If you want to focus on combat, I'd say Fiend, if you want to focus on RP and want a more fun option, go Old One.
Invocations: Agonising Blast is a must. Apart from that, I'd say Repelling Blast for a nice control effect (and the feeling that your blast actually have impact). Otherwise Mask of Many Faces is cool to rp with, since you can Disguise Self at will. Silent Image is also nice to play with when you have it at-will.
Warlock Spells: Eldritch Blast is your must cantrip. You can then get a utility one, like Prestidigitation, Mage Hand or Minor Illusion, as they are all very fun options. Then you'll need Hex, as it's one of your main sources of dammage. Armor of Agathys is a cool spell to cast on yourself in the begining of combat, and the fact it needs no concentration and stays active for an entire hour only makes it even better. You can then invest on Hellish Rebuke (for theumatic reassons mostly), or just pick something you'll need as a Sorcerer. An other nice option (for fun RP) is Unseen Servant, which you won't be able to take as a Sorcerer.
Sorcerer Spells: On both Cantrips and Spells, focus on Utility. You won't need to have 4 different attack options, you will be attacking with Eldritch Blast most of the Time. Pick Shocking Grasp to go out of Melee when someone comes too close, and maybe firebolt to set things ablaze at a distance. However, I'll go as far as to say you don't even need offensive Spells. Ok, maybe it will be nice to have Dissintergrade, Finger of Death, and Meteor Swarm latter in game, and you could pick up an AOE like fireball/lightning bolt but that's it. You have very limited spells known, and either way most of your attacks will be dealt with Eldritch Blast. You want to keep a lot of spell slots available to make spell points to quicken your eldritch blast, so you will be Hexing and Eldritch Blasting most of the time. The rest of your spells should focus on giving you as much utility as possible (get Fire Shield, some wind wall to deal with archers etc). You can also get one of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guid weapon Cantrips
Feats: Take War Caster, Polearm Master and Sentinel as your feats.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-25, 04:20 AM
A Half-Orc Bard that uses Interpretive Dance to cast spells would be a lot of fun to play.

Garresh
2016-09-25, 04:24 AM
1 level of Life Cleric, the rest in Wild Magic Sorcerer. Metamagics are Twin Spell and Quicken Spell. Grab Bless from Cleric early on, and then focus on utility and buff spells, with your primary focus being excellent single target buffs. Haste is one of the better ones, but Greater Invis, Polymorph, and others are nice. When not buffing, you still make for an excellent healer. Also, the combination of Guidance, Bless, and Bend Luck means you function surprisingly similar to a bard with spot boosts when needed.

Make sure you grab warcaster, and I do recommend starting with sorcerer at level 1 so you are con save proficient. You don't want to have your concentration break. Also, remember that single target buffs can be twinned, so double up on haste if you have a lot of noncasters, or greater invis if you have rogues. In emergencies, you can polymorph into a T Rex to save your party, and your ungodly concentration means you won't lose your focus.

Aaron Underhand
2016-09-25, 06:36 AM
A Half-Orc Bard that uses Interpretive Dance to cast spells would be a lot of fun to play.

Like this?: http://www.videobash.com/video_show/torn-by-david-armand-amp-natalie-imbruglia-58053

(it gets better 2:50 in...)

Socratov
2016-09-25, 06:52 AM

Well, I'd allow a half-orc or goliath bard to use riverdancing as a means to attack enemies using his skills.

MrStabby
2016-09-25, 08:08 AM
So it depends on your preference for casting or non casting.

If you want to cast, then nearly any full caster will be fun to play for you. The main thing to think about is how to prepare spells. Do you want a cleric which knows all their spells and picks them each day, a bard or sorcerer who picks their spells as part of character development or a wizard who gets to collect them as she goes along.

If you want a beating things up type character then I can recommend something like rogue battle-master. Cunning action gives you bonus actions and flexability every turn. Sneak attack lets you gat some nice powerful hits (great for breaking concentration). Battlemaster gives you some resources to use, some nice effects you wouldn't otherwise have and two attacks.

If you take it to level 8 you can get arcane trickster from rogue 3 as well as your two attack battle-master. Those spells just give you more versatility whilst still keeping the character a mainly beating things class.

If you don't go for battlemaster (or even if you do), you may want to make sure you are good tat athletics. Shoves, grapples and suchlike are not only useful but a great other way of breaking up combat with a bit of variety.

Alternatively play a monk. They have resources to manage, lots of special abilities, they are useful and powerful whilst being different to other classes. They are a finesse tool - it isn't just about which abilities you use but who you use them on in a fight.

Or combine a bunch of these together.

Start by working out what role you want - what would be fun.
Then what abilities from each class would contribute.
Work out a progression that picks up the best of these and you should have something you enjoy.

lordarkness
2016-09-25, 10:43 AM
Simply put, spells give the most diversity and flexibility possible to a character and to their situations but if you won't be playing for long (which is common for GMs moonlighting as players) that you may want to go for something that is interesting to you now, unlike a wizard that can take many levels before they come into their own.

beargryllz
2016-09-25, 10:50 AM

And if you're not sure what type of campaign it's going to be, versatility might be the way to go.

Bull

You can still do lots outside of combat. You just might not always succeed all the time...

Dumping charisma doesn't mean you can't still try to persuade people. It just means it won't work as often as if the bard does it, assuming you brought one of those jokers along...

JAL_1138
2016-09-25, 11:13 AM
I'd skip multiclassing with a first character. It's a huge trade-off in this edition that IMO is best left until you get a feel for various classes and what features you'd be willing to trade or delay.

I like Variant-human Valor Bard, Dex-focused, with Crossbow Expert feat, or a half-elf Lore Bard. Most of my characters have been bards. They're extremely versatile both in and out of combat.

Knowledge-domain and Life-domain clerics are fun. Knowledge domain gives a lot of versatility, Life Domain is an excellent healer with heavy armor proficiency. All clerics have surprisingly-respectable damage options too.

Rogues are fun. I've found that with Assassin rogues it's much harder to get the extra bonus damage than theorycraft assumes (if you are near the party and even one member of the party is noticed by a particular enemy, that particular enemy is not surprised, although one enemy can be surprised when other enemies aren't. In practice, it's very hard for an enemy to fail to notice anybody in the group. You can scout ahead, but it leaves you vulnerable--and even if the enemy is surprised, you need to win initiative to get Assassinate), so if I play one again I'll likely go with Arcane Trickster or classic Thief.

Paladin is fun. Oath of the Ancients is the only one I've played so far, though.

PapaQuackers
2016-09-25, 11:16 AM
As I've been digging more into Cleric options as I think those look the most intriguing at the moment I find myself caught between the Swashbuckler Rogue or the Thundery-Lightning Cleric.

Anyone played either of those and have any thoughts on them?

lunaticfringe
2016-09-25, 11:27 AM
I have played a Tempest Cleric. It was tons of fun but I only played I from 1-8. I hear it loses a bit of steam in higher tiers of play. Haven't gotten to be a Swashbuckler yet but it's on my short list of things I will roll up next.

My cleric was unoptimized. I DM more than PC so I'm not great at Optimization or I would give some advice. I'll leave that to others.

Brendanicus
2016-09-25, 12:13 PM
Barbarians and monks are a ton of fun.

My favorite character of all time is a Hill Dwarf fighter/rogue. He's basically if Wario was CG. He loves to drink, pick fights with Elves, and laugh at his allies' misfortune... Unless they get seriously hurt. He finds goblins and weak elves especially funny.

EDIT: The best way to make a fun character is to come up with a fun personality and RP it properly.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-25, 12:27 PM
EDIT: The best way to make a fun character is to come up with a fun personality and RP it properly.

Indeed. Said Tempest Cleric was an Absent Minded Inventor Rock Gnome Sage. The Sky God of the setting was also the God of Invention (Tempest & Knowledge Domains). I was effective at my job in and out of Combat but I was far from Optimize.