PDA

View Full Version : Double Proficiency Question?

171akup
2016-09-25, 06:09 AM
If I have Draconic Ancestor which doubles my charisma check proficiency and Expertise, do I only get one if my charisma check has Expertise? :smallbiggrin:

odigity
2016-09-25, 06:48 AM
If I have Draconic Ancestor which doubles my charisma check proficiency and Expertise, do I only get one if my charisma check has Expertise? :smallbiggrin:

PHB pg 12

"Your proficiency bonus can’t be added to a single die roll or other number more than once. Occasionally, your proficiency bonus might be modified (doubled or halved, for example) before you apply it. If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll or that it should be multiplied more than once, you nevertheless add it only once, multiply it only once, and halve it only once."

Wondermndjr
2016-09-25, 03:29 PM
Draconic Ancestry doubles your proficiency bonus on any Charisma check interacting with dragons.

Expertise doubles your proficiency bonus on a particular skill.

Clarifying odigity's quote, you would not add your proficiency more than once, or double it again. You would get double your proficiency on that check, and nothing more.

Addaran
2016-09-25, 05:21 PM
So basically it's like advantage/disadvantage. =O
Either no prof, normal, X2 or half. Multiple X2 don't stack, multiple halves don't stack. Any number of X2 AND half just end up being normal.

Though....anyone know of something that make you use half your prof instead of using it in full? Can't seem to recall any except the jack-of-all trade but they specify that's it's when you don't have your proficiency.