Sandman's Caress
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting, Sleep]
Level: 0
Components: VS
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: Will partial negates(see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
The low melody of a faerie song and the rhythmic swaying of your hand causes the target to slip closer to sleep.
The target must be out of combat with no clear and present threats. As part of casting, you make a touch attack against a target, unless they succeed a Spellcraft check to identify the spell this is considered a non-threatening action. The target makes three will saves. Success of all three saves negates the spell. Failing one save causes fatigue for 1d4 rounds. Failing two saves causes exhaustion for 2d4 rounds after the fatigue. Failing three saves causes sleep for 3d4 minutes after the exhaustion. Any hostile action against the target or his allies(within sensory range) during the spell's effect lessens the severity, sleep is downgraded to 1 round of exhaustion followed by 1 round of fatigue before the spell dissipates, exhaustion becomes 1 round of fatigue before the spell dissipates, and fatigue dissipates immediately.

Exocist
2016-09-28, 02:43 AM
Seems kind of weak for a first level spell.

I suggest:

- Remove the "Out of combat only" clause, then add if used outside of combat (or on flat-footed foe) it's only 1 will save (rather than 3) to put them to sleep. Can get some out of combat utility that way - making those guards or archers fall asleep so you can sneak through.

AND/OR

- Make it a ranged touch attack, so it's less obvious. "Hmm, this wizard-looking guy gave me a handshake now suddenly I'm very sleepy. These two definitely have nothing to do with each other."

Alternately, just make it a 0th-level spell (cantrip) - most of them are non-combat based anyway, and although it's use is limited compared to say Prestidigitation or Dancing Lights, it could still be alright.

The three will save thing kind of kills it though.