PDA

View Full Version : Current Events Project

Pavbat666
2016-09-25, 11:40 AM
Sorry I didn't know what other category I should have put this in... Anyways, I need to do a current events project about a country. The country I was given was the U.K (United Kingdom). I need to find 4 current events going on there, that are not only current, but RELEVANT. I tried looking online, but I'm having a little trouble, and I would appreciate any topics that might be given.

Thanks in advance!!

Stewzors
2016-09-26, 04:44 AM
UK Resident here - Hi :)

Not entirely sure what you mean by "relevant" but you could always start with taking a quick look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

I think the biggest things we've been dealing with as a nation recently are Brexit & the resultant political party leadership fallout & The Junior Doctors contract strikes... We did pretty well out of the Olympics/Paralympics but not sure if that's the kinda thing you're after?

Happy to answer specific Qs if you have them - though obviously I speak for myself and not the rest of my glorious tea drinking nation.

Khedrac
2016-09-26, 08:58 AM

Not entirely sure what you mean by "relevant" but you could always start with taking a quick look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

I think the biggest things we've been dealing with as a nation recently are Brexit & the resultant political party leadership fallout & The Junior Doctors contract strikes... We did pretty well out of the Olympics/Paralympics but not sure if that's the kinda thing you're after?

Happy to answer specific Qs if you have them - though obviously I speak for myself and not the rest of my glorious tea drinking nation.
This.

One of the problems with a question like this is most things likely to be called "relevant" probably count as "real world politics" and thus cannot be discussed on these forums.

Other possibilities include the recent decision to go ahead with the new reactor at Hinkley Point and (being the UK, though relevance is debatable) the latest football and cricket results.

Pavbat666
2016-09-26, 03:26 PM
Thanks you all your help! The topics don't need to be political, and the more debatable they are, the better! The teacher actually wishes for us to be able to display OUR OWN opinion on the topic.

Pavbat666
2016-09-26, 03:27 PM

However, I would like to know a little more on Brexit if you are able to help me on it. I don't know much about it, and I'm getting mostly the same stuff from online articles.

utfifa2016
2016-09-26, 09:03 PM
That's so helpful.

Stewzors
2016-09-27, 02:48 AM
However, I would like to know a little more on Brexit if you are able to help me on it. I don't know much about it, and I'm getting mostly the same stuff from online articles.

In a nutshell (trying to not breach forum rules!) Brexit was a referendum - a big vote for the public - to have a say on whether GB should remain in the EU. It was a fairly close result with the majority voting to leave.

The biggest issue with the whole thing is that the run up to the vote campaign was blatantly based on fear, lies & mistruths from both sides of the political argument. As a result there has been lots of political resignations - including the prime minister - and party infighting.

As a normal peon, not much has really changed for me - yet. Nothing has officially happened and no-one really knows whats happening going forward.

Unfortunately I don't know where the best place to read up on a good summary of whats happened would be and I imagine a lot of it would be quite boring to plough through. There are some good articles on https://www.theguardian.com/politics/eu-referendum but obviously, there are loads to read and always remember all media is biased and the guardian is a more liberal newspaper

Khedrac
2016-09-27, 02:53 AM
Thanks you all your help! The topics don't need to be political, and the more debatable they are, the better! The teacher actually wishes for us to be able to display OUR OWN opinion on the topic.

OK a few more for you look at and see what you can find:

TGBBO is a very popular TV show that was, until very recently, made for the BBC.
The BBC is the broadcaster entirely funded by the TV license fee (money made from selling its programs abroad actually goes to a charitable trust not back to the BBC).
Channel 4 is the other public service broadcaster, in that it gest some license fee money but is mainly funded by advertisements.
Both are free to view broadcast (as are ITV and Channel 5 but those are totally commercial concerns).
The BBC is generally not allowed to make its own TV programs, these have to be made by other companies. The company responsible for TGBBO asked for an increase for the next season from £7.5M to £25M.
The BBC offered £15M but could not pay £25M, however Channel 4 have stumped up the full £25M.
(I don't know if Channel 4 offered 25 and the BBC was told to match it or lose it, or if the production company asked for 25 and Channel 4 said they could pay that - and to me it does make a difference.)
The two presenters and one of the two judges have said they will not continue with the show but will stay with the BBC, the other judge is going with the show.
Channel 4 in the past has fought privatization on the grounds it needs not to have to make a profit because if funds innovative TV making - an argument they may have problems using next time the debate comes up.
The Archers is a very long running radio soap which recently had one of the characters on trial for murder (I think). Apparently the trial illustrated what the law actually says and the whole story is about domestic violence against women.
To frack or not to frack - this is quite a big (political) debate in the UK. It has just been brought back to the surface by the arrival of a ship of fracked gas in Scotland.