PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Me Engage A PC

Devacorian
2016-09-25, 01:00 PM
Background: I'm running Kingmaker using the Pathfinder system and Golarion setting. Three of the players are fresh off our last campaign, while our fourth had to be recruited to fill a vacancy. We're all friends from various years back, so there's nobody here who's a stranger to each other's roleplaying styles.

Characters: A half-orc paladin who embodies the idea that "lawful good does not mean lawful nice," a sylph rogue scion of one of the setting's noble houses, a half-elf arcanist with synesthesia and a healthy helping of wanderlust, and an elf slayer who is acting as the woodsman, guide, and general survivalist.

So after our most recent session, the elf slayer's player approached me and informed me that he felt he wasn't really "jiving" with the campaign so far. He's much more into the mechanics than the roleplaying, and I've certainly assured him that this campaign is just as mechanical as it is RP heavy, but he also informed me that he felt like he wasn't really part of the group. His concern is that, because the other PCs new each other before the first session, his character was essentially a disposable hired woodsman. To be fair, I totally get where he's coming from. His decisions have largely been vetoed so far, and while his character has some really interesting motivation, we haven't been able to work that in to the game so far.

My question to you is, how do I make this PC matter to the rest of the group? How can I help the player to showcase that his character isn't just "a woodsman for hire," but the best woodsman in the area? Most importantly, how do I do this in a way that reflects this player's preference of mechanics over roleplaying? As someone who has the opposite preference, I'm having trouble getting there in my own creative vacuum.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-26, 10:33 AM
Two questions:
1. What level is the party?
2. What class is they slyph?

Also, take my advice with the caveat that I know enough about Kingmaker to understand the basics of it, but I have not played the AP myself on either side of the GM screen.

My first thought is that the region's best woodsman would be dealing with the region's most powerful natural forces, and in Golarion those are the fey. The other PCs all have ties to things the fey have good reason to be wary of; the paladin to their god and to a "civilized" code, the slyph to the mortal houses which so eagerly encroach upon the natural world, and the arcanist to their books and learned arcane magic. The slayer, though, they have lived life as it should be - respecting and respected by all of nature, drawing only on strength found within, not on the divinity or wealth or knowledge of others. There could also be a racial element to the feys' bias, with the others all being "tainted" with human blood, or being mixed-breeds of "impure blood" in general. This would make the slayer overtly necessary for the party to maintain good relations with the fey, and could allow for the other PCs to be recognized by the fey as "better than expected" sometime later on.