PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Working on an idea for Lv20+ Pathfinder - Could use feedback

thecrimsondawn
2016-09-25, 02:52 PM
When a player hits level 20, they get their classes awesome capstone, but at that point, your game is most likely almost over, and you wont really get to use it. Getting your big final class feature should be a highlight of your adventurer carrier and not the end of it in some games I feel, so I have been brainstorming a simple system to make it work.

This is what I am thinking so far
•BAB continues to increase up to a max of 20. BAB gains past 20 will effect iterative attacks as normal, also to a max of 20 for a cap of 20/20/20/20
•iterative attacks will continue to be gained up to the 4 maximum (or maybe 5, what do you guys think?)
•Saves will cap out at a base of 20. I feel this will still allow spellcasters to effectively use spells while giving some major breathing room from many high DC effects.
•A new hit die of the class you gain a level in will be added to your total as normal. Classes cap out at their normal levels.
•Feats and bonus stat points will continue to be gained at the normal interval.

Issues I am worried about, or that have been brought to my attention
•Monster power adjustments for DM. This is a lot of extra work, and a simple template based on the growth needs to be made
•Content and ideas for post 20 is limited, and is not well suited for most games
•Wealth starts to become outdated and useless as magic items are limited in power. This wealth could cause many issues in various types of games, but then again, so does a party of lv 20+ players
•There WILL be various class combinations that will be incredibly broken due to untyped bonuses stacking. This was also an issue in 3.5

Due to the nature of this system, I feel exp would not cover it, but rather something more like Diablo 3 has once you reach max level. Have not thought too much on this yet as this idea just came to me today.
Thoughts, views, opinions?

The Vagabond
2016-09-25, 03:21 PM
The simpilest method is, if you all are playing an adventure path, is for the final book to grant you your capstone automatically, which prevents a lot of the wonkiness of higher level adventures.

Otherwise, there is already a pre-extant homebrew book for handling epic levels, extrapolated from 3.0's and the d20srd's epic levels. Epic Pathfinder v1.6 (http://www.jessejackjones.com/sites/default/files/EpicPathfinder1.6.pdf) is a solid continuation of the pathfinder formula into the epic levels.

thecrimsondawn
2016-09-25, 04:59 PM
The simpilest method is, if you all are playing an adventure path, is for the final book to grant you your capstone automatically, which prevents a lot of the wonkiness of higher level adventures.

Otherwise, there is already a pre-extant homebrew book for handling epic levels, extrapolated from 3.0's and the d20srd's epic levels. Epic Pathfinder v1.6 (http://www.jessejackjones.com/sites/default/files/EpicPathfinder1.6.pdf) is a solid continuation of the pathfinder formula into the epic levels.

Sadly, I find that a bit flawed. It does not cover all the classes that are around now, and still potentially causes the same issue 3.5 had with epic levels, and that is the power balance went all over the place. Im not looking to have a bunch of new feats added in or content, but rather something simple enough to use without any risk of shattering the whole game.

Another system I was thinking of is the gaining and expenditure of ascension points (AP) and you gain AP instead of exp each game. You would spend a set amount of AP go gain a feat, a new BAB, a new base save bonus, all up to the caps I talked about above. Games like Numenera and World of Darkness use systems like that and they work really well.

The Vagabond
2016-09-25, 06:45 PM
Sadly, I find that a bit flawed. It does not cover all the classes that are around now, and still potentially causes the same issue 3.5 had with epic levels, and that is the power balance went all over the place. Im not looking to have a bunch of new feats added in or content, but rather something simple enough to use without any risk of shattering the whole game.

Another system I was thinking of is the gaining and expenditure of ascension points (AP) and you gain AP instead of exp each game. You would spend a set amount of AP go gain a feat, a new BAB, a new base save bonus, all up to the caps I talked about above. Games like Numenera and World of Darkness use systems like that and they work really well.
You could possibly just do what E6 does- When you gain enough EXP, you instead of leveling gain a feat. There are plenty of feats for shoring up weak saves, or improving abilities, getting extra attacks, ect. Turns level 20 into a hard cap.
Simultaneously, you can use this form to lower down the stuff to a lower level.

thecrimsondawn
2016-09-25, 08:53 PM
You could possibly just do what E6 does- When you gain enough EXP, you instead of leveling gain a feat. There are plenty of feats for shoring up weak saves, or improving abilities, getting extra attacks, ect. Turns level 20 into a hard cap.
Simultaneously, you can use this form to lower down the stuff to a lower level.

E6 caught my eye and is part of the inspiration behind what I am trying to do here. I never got to play in an E6 game, but it makes a whole lot of sense. As soon as a player hits level 10 or so, the power jump between 5 and 10 is so massive you cant even compare. Do you think E6 would work in PF as well? Its been a couple years since I even looked at it.