PDA

View Full Version : Druïd magical item. Thoughts?

Doomwhispo
2016-09-25, 05:04 PM
I was thinking to give my druïd some magical item to allow him to transform in to monstrosities. As a lot of monstrosities really seem like animals to me. And I find the list of beasts my druïd can transform in rather small
Specially later on there are fewer and fewer options (only 1 new animal at lvl 18??)

Think this is op? In that case what can I do to make it less powerful? Maybe make it use 2 uses of wilds shape like transforming in to elementals? Tho i imagine a cr 3 monstrosity should be more or less as strong as a cr 3 beast right?

Any idea or feedback is welcome including suggestions for the name of the item
Thanks guys <3

Addaran
2016-09-25, 05:41 PM
I was thinking to give my druïd some magical item to allow him to transform in to monstrosities. As a lot of monstrosities really seem like animals to me. And I find the list of beasts my druïd can transform in rather small
Specially later on there are fewer and fewer options (only 1 new animal at lvl 18??)

Think this is op? In that case what can I do to make it less powerful? Maybe make it use 2 uses of wilds shape like transforming in to elementals? Tho i imagine a cr 3 monstrosity should be more or less as strong as a cr 3 beast right?

Any idea or feedback is welcome including suggestions for the name of the item
Thanks guys <3

Yeah, probably 2 uses like the elementals. They should be about as strong ( CR isn't always well done/take into account everything) but usually animals lack special utility. None have special resistance or supernatural abilities.

Not sure if you're the DM or the player, but if it's still too strong/the magic item isn't supposed to be super powerful, you could make an item that gives you one specific monstrosity shape.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-25, 06:16 PM
I'm the DM. Yeah the whole point was to give the character more options. He still needs to see the creature to be able to turn in to it.

hymer
2016-09-26, 04:15 AM
You could have the item come with a list of monstrosities that it can help with. That way, you can avoid surprises. You could even make a list of one-charge costs and two-charge costs. The gorgon, for instance, would seem quite worth two charges to me. It might even be too powerful to have, depending on your view.
You may want to lay down some rules regarding monstrosity spellcasting. The drider, at least, may be able to cast spells. Whether it can use the big bag of spells or just the tiny one is another thing to decide on.

tieren
2016-09-26, 08:39 AM
You could make the effect require a material component, like blood from the monstosity that is less than 24 hours old, once charged with the blood of the monstrosity druid can transform into that shape once per day for a week.

He'd have the ability to get some interesting new shapes to play with every now and then, and maybe get some hooks to go for a few monster hunts, but you wouldn't end up with him getting too many different abilities all at once or pulling the whole MM on you.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-26, 10:21 AM
You could make the effect require a material component, like blood from the monstosity that is less than 24 hours old, once charged with the blood of the monstrosity druid can transform into that shape once per day for a week.

He'd have the ability to get some interesting new shapes to play with every now and then, and maybe get some hooks to go for a few monster hunts, but you wouldn't end up with him getting too many different abilities all at once or pulling the whole MM on you.

I like the idea. I was gonna do it like with th e normal wild shape that you have to see the creature first before you can wild shape in to it. I don't want him wildshaping in to stuff like a drider for example. Only animal-like monstrosities like owlbear gryphon ecc. And this adds a nice flavour to it.

JellyPooga
2016-09-26, 05:09 PM
You could have the item come with a list of monstrosities that it can help with. That way, you can avoid surprises. You could even make a list of one-charge costs and two-charge costs. The gorgon, for instance, would seem quite worth two charges to me. It might even be too powerful to have, depending on your view.
You may want to lay down some rules regarding monstrosity spellcasting. The drider, at least, may be able to cast spells. Whether it can use the big bag of spells or just the tiny one is another thing to decide on.

Limiting the available monstrosities the item grants is a sound plan. You could even hint to the player that other items or upgrades to the item exist that grant additional options.

I'd probably do something like make it a staff with the base power to allow some basic monster forms. Then I'd introduce "Stones" as the upgrades, e.g. Fey Stone (which adds some fey or fey related forms) or Dark Stone (for stealth or darkness related forms) and so forth.

JellyPooga
2016-09-26, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking something along the lines of...

Staff of the Master of Many Forms
Staff, Rare (requires attunement by a druid of the Moon Circle)

This Staff has 3 charges and regains 1d3 expended charges daily, at dawn.

When you use the Wild Shape ability while holding this staff, you may expend 1 or more of its charges to assume the shape of one of the following creatures instead of a Beast. You must still expend a use of your Wild Shape ability when you do so. Except for the creature type, all normal rules for Wild Shape still apply to this transformation, including any restrictions on CR and movement types.

1 charge : (three or four "basic" creatures, ranging from CR:0-5, preferably no funky abilities) e.g. Centaur, Death Dog, Griffon, Hook Horror
2 charges) : (two or three "advanced" creatures in the CR:2-7 range, funky abilities allowed) e.g Ankheg, Bulette, Carrion Crawler
3 charges : (one "elite" creature of CR: 5+, funky abilities mandatory) e.g. Chimera

Form Stone
Wondrous Item, rarity by stone

A Form Stone is a carved gemstone or semi-precious stone, designed to fit into one of the many slots in a Staff of the Master of Many Forms. Each Form Stone grants additional forms allowed by the Staff, following the rules laid out by that item. Each Form Stone added to such a Staff grants it one additional maximum charge (e.g. a Staff of the Master of Many Forms with two Form Stones fitted to it would have 5 charges, replenishing 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn).

Dark Stone (Uncommon)
- 1 charge: Darkmantle
- 3 charges: Cloaker

Wolf Stone (Rare)
- 1 charge: Worg
- 2 charges: Winter Wolf

Dire Stone (V.Rare)
- 2 charges: Cockatrice
- 3 Charges: Gorgon, Medusa

Grick Stone (Uncommon)
- 1 charge: Grick
- 3 charges: Grick Alpha

Hydra Stone (Legendary)
- 3 charges: Hydra

The Roc Stone (Artifact?)
- 3 charges: Roc
- The Roc Stone allows you to ignore the usual CR restrictions for Wild Shape when assuming the form of the Roc.

...and so on and so forth. You get the idea.