PDA

View Full Version : Nimble Swordmaster

j_spencer93
2016-09-25, 07:44 PM
OK, after the success of my Bladelock Pyromancer post I am curious if anyone can help me come up with another character build. This who is more open to suggestions though. Simply looking for a Nimble Fighter that uses two blades.
I know that's vague but really that is all i have to go on.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-25, 08:42 PM
Swashbuckler/Fighter,Dex Based Damage, Scimitars or Shortswords until you get Dual Wielder then Rapiers

Fancy Footwork
Rakish Audacity
Dual Wielder
Two Weapon Fighting Style

You need Rogue 3 for Swashbuckler as for breaks and how far you wanna go in each class that's up to you but that stuff is a solid platform. Extra Attack & Uncanny Dodge seem good things to have.

I'd go Rogue 1 > Fighter 5 or 6 (for feat/asi purposes) to get Extra Attack & skills, but that is me. (Depending of party make up)

Rogue 5/Fighter 5 gets you extra attack, Uncanny Dodge, & 2 ASI/Feats by 10
Fighter6/Rogue4 gets you Extra Attack & 3 ASI/Feats by 10

Axorfett12
2016-09-25, 08:57 PM
V Human (dual wielder) swashbuckler 4 / battlemaster 16.
Entertainer background (blade dancer)
Skills: stealth, perception, athletics, Persuasion
Expertise: Acrobatics, Performance
Fighting style: Two Weapon Fighting
Maneuvers: Disarming Strike, Evasive Footwork, Precision Attack, Parry, Riposte, Trip Atrack, Lunging Attack, Sweeping Attack, Maneuvering Attack

Use ASIS to increase Dex, then Con or Charisma.

Wield Rapiers, fluff them as Elven Thinblades. (Slashing rapiers)

Belac93
2016-09-25, 09:04 PM
A monk 5/Battlemaster x or Monk x/battlemaster 3 is awesome, stunning strike can be used with weapons.

j_spencer93
2016-09-25, 10:35 PM
I like the idea of the rogue battlemaster, so i think that is what i will go with. It accomplishes everything i want.
Duelist Rogue 3, Battlemaster 16.
Not sure I need 16 levels in battlemaster but can't really think of a better way to use those levels.

Thought of trying to sneak Bard College of Swords into the build but not seeing a huge improvement if done.

Specter
2016-09-25, 10:42 PM
All good suggestions. I'd say Hunter 4/Champion 16 is a good and simple one.

j_spencer93
2016-09-25, 10:51 PM
Always wanted to use a champion just never seem to fit it into a build. Again, I don't think ill use it this time either.

djreynolds
2016-09-25, 11:34 PM
Always wanted to use a champion just never seem to fit it into a build. Again, I don't think ill use it this time either.

Inigo Montoya, swashbuckler/paladin of vengeance. 12 paladin, 6 swashbuckler, 2 fighter and begin as fighter for action surge, TWF style, con saves. Human variant. 13/15/12/8/10/14.....14/16/12/8/10/14, kinda MAD, and grab IMO duel wielder feat rapier and dagger at 1st level. Grab defensive style from paladin. It could work. Just max out dex and try to get some charisma in there, you will only have 4ASI, plus a feat from human variant.

duel wielder 1st
dex*18
dex- 20
chr-16
chr-18

lunaticfringe
2016-09-26, 12:09 AM
Swashbuckler7/Champion13. It's not Battlemaster but you don't rely on resources(Superiority Dice). Bonus points if you can convince you DM to let take Mariner Fighting Style @ 10, Climb Speed opens up Tactical Shenanigans. Or Swash4/Champ16 if you like. I like Evasion & Uncanny Dodge for a Nimble Fighter, + you still get 5 ASI/Feats.

j_spencer93
2016-09-26, 12:15 AM
Think I will stick with the half rogue build but will show a player of mine that likes the Champion this post. He has always wanted to use it (I sadly am the DM and never get real play time).

djreynolds
2016-09-26, 12:22 AM
If you are grabbing rogue, I would take 5 levels for uncanny dodge. Or you can take defensive duelist and both work on your reaction.

I had a melee rogue/fighter, strength based a while back... real nasty dwarf.

I think once you get your 3rd attack at 11th it is time to depart from fighter. 12 fighter/8 rouge is a good build with 6 asi/feats, and one more for human variant. easily max out dex, pump charisma and con, and snag resilient in something, and get lucky.

But good luck to you, and I would like to what you end doing.

j_spencer93
2016-09-26, 12:26 AM
Thanks. And since this campaign will easily hit 20, I will happily post the final character when its done.

djreynolds
2016-09-26, 12:33 AM
My melee dwarf, I used a rapier and defensive duelist at a high level rocks

Arial Black
2016-09-26, 07:41 AM
I like the idea of the rogue battlemaster, so i think that is what i will go with. It accomplishes everything i want.
Duelist Rogue 3, Battlemaster 16.
Not sure I need 16 levels in battlemaster but can't really think of a better way to use those levels.

Thought of trying to sneak Bard College of Swords into the build but not seeing a huge improvement if done.

The base concept requires 3 levels of each to get Swashbuckler and Battlemaster. After that it is very flexible.

You can go Rog 17/Ftr 3, or Rog 3/Ftr 17, or 10/10, or anything in between! It all works!

Right now I'm playing a Battlemaster/Swashbuckler who has one level of sorcerer to get the base 13 AC and the booming/green-flame blade cantrips. I won't get more than 4 levels of fighter because I don't need the Extra Attack feature; it would be wasted on me because I am taking the Cast A Spell action every round, not the Attack action. I can then use Riposte (or my Action Surge to ready an attack) to get my Sneak Attack twice every round, so the more levels of rogue I have then the more damage my single attack has....twice per round!

You don't even need the sorcerer level to do this if you take the Magic Initiate feat. Use the wizard spell list, choose those two cantrips and mage armour.

Another cool thing about this build is that you hit someone with booming blade doing all that damage, then move away without an AoO (Fancy Footwork or Disengage as a bonus action). If he follows you to attack then he triggers even more thunder damage, and if he doesn't then you keep doing it until he runs out of hit points.

It makes for a great duelist-type swashbuckler because you rule one-on-one duels with this tactic.

odigity
2016-09-26, 10:31 AM
Right now I'm playing a Battlemaster/Swashbuckler who has one level of sorcerer to get the base 13 AC and the booming/green-flame blade cantrips. I won't get more than 4 levels of fighter because I don't need the Extra Attack feature; it would be wasted on me because I am taking the Cast A Spell action every round, not the Attack action. I can then use Riposte (or my Action Surge to ready an attack) to get my Sneak Attack twice every round, so the more levels of rogue I have then the more damage my single attack has....twice per round!

You don't even need the sorcerer level to do this if you take the Magic Initiate feat. Use the wizard spell list, choose those two cantrips and mage armour.

Another cool thing about this build is that you hit someone with booming blade doing all that damage, then move away without an AoO (Fancy Footwork or Disengage as a bonus action). If he follows you to attack then he triggers even more thunder damage, and if he doesn't then you keep doing it until he runs out of hit points.

It makes for a great duelist-type swashbuckler because you rule one-on-one duels with this tactic.

After discovering BB/GFB/LL cantrips a few weeks ago, I spent several days trying to build a Swashbuckler/BattlemasterSorcerer combo to build a char that uses a lot of the combos you described above, but I wanted more than one level of Sorcerer for Quickened/Twinned and Haste, so I was dipping heavy into all three classes.

Eventually my more experienced friend talked me into dropping Battlemaster to focus more on the other two, since that was the least important part of my build, so my plan is now Swashbuckler 12 / Sorcerer 8 (Need lots of SP.)

Here's the full plan:

1 R01 SA 1d6 Expertise (Athletics, Stealth)
Cnt Spl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
2 S01 Dragon Ancestor (Gold), Draconic Resilience (HP, AC)
- sell armor (AC 16/21 w/Shield)
- (c) Booming Blade (c) Firebolt (c) Lightning Lure (c) Create Bonfire, (1) Shield (1) Sleep
3 R02 Cunning Action
4 R03 SA 2d6, Fancy Footwork (prvnt optak), Rakish Audacity (+Cha init, 3rd SA trigger)
5 R04 ASI : Magic Initiate (Find Familiar, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation)
6 S02 Font of Magic
- (1) Feather Fall
7 S03 Metamagic (Quickened, Twinned)
- (2) Blur, (1) Feather Fall -> (2) Levitate
8 S04 ASI : Resilient (Con)
- (c) Green-Flame Blade, (2) Misty Step
9 S05
- (3) Haste, (1) Sleep -> (2) Mirror Image
10 R05 SA 3d6, Uncanny Dodge

Then decided which class to take a level in one level at a time depending on my mood. Ends up with 6 ASIs:

Lucky
Magic Initiate
Resilient (Con)
ASI (+2 Dex) (-> 18)
ASI (+2 Dex) (-> 20)
ASI (+2 Cha) (-> 18)

Will end with the following spells known:

Magic Initiate (Wiz)
C Mage Hand <VS- --->
C Prestidigitation <VS- --->
1 Find Familiar <--- --->

Sorcerer
C Booming Blade <V-M --->
C Firebolt <VS- --->
C Lightning Lure <V-- --->
C Create Bonfire <VS- Con>
C Green-Flame Blade <V-M --->
────────── TEMP ──────────
1 Feather Fall <V-M ---> -> Levitate
1 Sleep <VSM ---> -> Mirror Image
2 Levitate <VSM Con> -> Fly
────────── PERM ──────────
1 Shield <VS- --->
2 Blur <V-- Con>
2 Misty Step <V-- --->
2 Mirror Image <VS- --->
3 Counterspell <-S- --->
3 Fly <VSM Con>
3 Haste <VSM Con>
4 Greater Invisibility <VS- Con>
4 Polymorph <VSM Con>

(The char is still lvl 1 because I haven't found a game to join yet, but I like having a plan before I start to avoid regrets later.)

Specter
2016-09-26, 10:36 AM
If you're putting Sorcerer in the mix might as well start as one for that sweet CON save. You don't wanna unconcentrate on Greater Invisibility or Haste.

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 10:38 AM
Eventually my more experienced friend talked me into dropping Battlemaster to focus more on the other two, since that was the least important part of my build, so my plan is now Swashbuckler 12 / Sorcerer 8 (Need lots of SP.)What Sorcerer Archetype did you pick? I am playing a Swashbuckler 5/ Shadow Sorcerer 8 atm... my HP is very low so I am planning on continuing with Sorcerer.

odigity
2016-09-26, 12:04 PM
If you're putting Sorcerer in the mix might as well start as one for that sweet CON save. You don't wanna unconcentrate on Greater Invisibility or Haste.

I thought about that, but I also want good Dex saves, given how common they are, and how well that synergizes with Evasion. Hence Resilient (Con), which will also get my Con up to 16 since I'm starting with 15. That way I end up with a +9 which guarantees success on a DC 10. If the dmg is more than 20, I can probably cut it in half with Evasion or Uncanny Dodge, and if that's still enough... Luck Point!

What Sorcerer Archetype did you pick? I am playing a Swashbuckler 5/ Shadow Sorcerer 8 atm... my HP is very low so I am planning on continuing with Sorcerer.

Draconic, primarily for the AC, but also because there's not much I want from the other archetypes for this build. The extra dmg and HP will be nice, too.

I'm actually not entirely pleased by having to be covered with scales to get the AC, but I'm just going to incorporate those mixed feelings into the character. She's a half-elf who generally passes as human, Charlatan background, and will wear long-sleeve / turleneck-ish type clothing to try to keep her scaly skin hidden most of the time.

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 12:59 PM
Draconic, primarily for the AC, but also because there's not much I want from the other archetypes for this build. The extra dmg and HP will be nice, too.

I'm actually not entirely pleased by having to be covered with scales to get the AC, but I'm just going to incorporate those mixed feelings into the character. She's a half-elf who generally passes as human, Charlatan background, and will wear long-sleeve / turleneck-ish type clothing to try to keep her scaly skin hidden most of the time.
I must admit, the extra hit points and the bonus damage to GFB damage is really cool. I am very envious of that. But, the armor class I got covered with a Mage Armor and partly with the light armor proficiency from rogue.
However, as a Shadow Sorcerer I get the Hound of Ill Omen (basically Heighten Spell) and the Strength of the Grave. Maybe both abilities are better for a regular caster, but the dog helps with damage and Crown of Madness works wonders when continuesly heightened.

About the scales, year that kinda sucks, it's too much flavor for my taste as well. Maybe your DM would allow some reflavoring?

Ritual scaring from you blood caster rites
Magical tatoos
Permanent mage armor that only leaves a slight magical sheen
That heritage mithril chain shirt that you are blood bonded with

odigity
2016-09-26, 01:05 PM
About the scales, year that kinda sucks, it's too much flavor for my taste as well. Maybe your DM would allow some reflavoring?

Ritual scaring from you blood caster rites
Magical tatoos
Permanent mage armor that only leaves a slight magical sheen
That heritage mithril chain shirt that you are blood bonded with

That's a good idea, but I'll be playing in AL games, so I'll probably just stick to the prescribed flavor and work with that.

X3r4ph
2016-09-26, 01:10 PM
That's a good idea, but I'll be playing in AL games, so I'll probably just stick to the prescribed flavor and work with that.

Well, at least your imagination is your own :D

http://godlessdoctrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif

odigity
2016-09-26, 07:56 PM
Well, at least your imagination is your own :D

http://godlessdoctrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif

Of course. Which is why I'm using the Owl stat block for my familiar, but re-fluffing it as a colorful parrot. Arr!

MeeposFire
2016-09-26, 08:04 PM
I thought about that, but I also want good Dex saves, given how common they are, and how well that synergizes with Evasion. Hence Resilient (Con), which will also get my Con up to 16 since I'm starting with 15. That way I end up with a +9 which guarantees success on a DC 10. If the dmg is more than 20, I can probably cut it in half with Evasion or Uncanny Dodge, and if that's still enough... Luck Point!

One intersting hting about evasion is that it works great if you have dex saves and if you don't. If you do then you can often get no damage but if you don't hen you can always at least get 1/2 damage which is usually enough to keep you alive and that is the most important thing dex saves give you normally. Trading dex for con saves is a good deal but it really matters what your second save would be. I personally rate sr above int and cha for the most part so perhaps you should consider what gives you a better save outside of the big 3 if all other things are equal?

odigity
2016-09-26, 08:34 PM
One intersting hting about evasion is that it works great if you have dex saves and if you don't. If you do then you can often get no damage but if you don't hen you can always at least get 1/2 damage which is usually enough to keep you alive and that is the most important thing dex saves give you normally. Trading dex for con saves is a good deal but it really matters what your second save would be. I personally rate sr above int and cha for the most part so perhaps you should consider what gives you a better save outside of the big 3 if all other things are equal?

I don't know enough to have a preference between Int and Cha saves, but starting Rogue instead of Sorcerer also gives one +1 skill proficiency and +1 HP (8 instead of 7). It also makes me more useful at level 1 to start with Rogue, given that I plan to mostly take melee cantrips with Sorcerer.

MeeposFire
2016-09-26, 09:03 PM
I don't know enough to have a preference between Int and Cha saves, but starting Rogue instead of Sorcerer also gives one +1 skill proficiency and +1 HP (8 instead of 7). It also makes me more useful at level 1 to start with Rogue, given that I plan to mostly take melee cantrips with Sorcerer.

And those are all good reasons to go rogue first if you want.

The Shadowdove
2016-09-27, 02:18 AM
The revised ranger is pretty cool for stuff like this.

Later on you can choose to attack again if you miss and impose disadvantage on foes without advantage.

Early on you get advantage on initiative rolls and first combat attacks.

It's got more flavor stuff than straight combat, but can be fun depending on what playing style you want.

Arial Black
2016-09-27, 07:15 AM

True, but only if you use concentration-type spells. With my SB/BM, with only one level of Sor and not wanting any more, I made sure that neither of the two spells I know require concentration. This means that the first level should be Rogue.

For the fluff about the scales, she is a silver dragon sorcerer, and silver dragons have scales which are so fine that the dragon looks like liquid metal. Also, just because you have scales that improve your AC doesn't mean that the scales must cover every square inch of your body, just that they cover enough in places that are likely to get in the way of incoming attacks.

So she looks as though she has dipped her hands up to the forearms in liquid mercury. They look cool without making her seem inhuman, they are at the sharp end in combat so narratively it makes sense that armoured hands make it harder to get a solid hit on her, and it satisfies the description about having scales which protect you from damage.

odigity
2016-09-27, 09:42 AM
For the fluff about the scales, she is a silver dragon sorcerer, and silver dragons have scales which are so fine that the dragon looks like liquid metal. Also, just because you have scales that improve your AC doesn't mean that the scales must cover every square inch of your body, just that they cover enough in places that are likely to get in the way of incoming attacks.

So she looks as though she has dipped her hands up to the forearms in liquid mercury. They look cool without making her seem inhuman, they are at the sharp end in combat so narratively it makes sense that armoured hands make it harder to get a solid hit on her, and it satisfies the description about having scales which protect you from damage.

Silver dragon is a great choice if you're only dipping 1 level and don't care about Elemental Affinity, especially if, like me, you loved the Dragonlance books as a kid.

I'm taking 8 levels, so I'm either going gold or red for fire affinity. Haven't decided yet, will be based on whether I want to add a degree of conflictedness to her personality. I'm making her a redhead with Charlatan background, but not currently evil, so red might be most appropriate. And yes, I'm naming her Sonya. :)